Sign in to follow this  
Hooleyfan

Just back from Wycombe

Would have been back an hour ago if it wasn''t for the slow crawl back to the M40. Adams Park is a friendly little place where we were given a good reception and our presence was really appreciated, not least because we made up more than a quarter of the attendance figure.

As for the result, brilliant! and as expected, i couldn''t see Wycombe leaking another shed full of goals as in their last two games. However, their keeper Shearer had an amazing game and was their MOM. Lambert appreciated his effort and after coming straight over to our support at the end of the game, went to Shearer to shake his hand, which was a nice touch and might indicate his interest in him if we cant keep Forster next season. Even our supporters appreciated Shearers performance and gave him an applause.

A chilly afternoon, in an unusually rural setting, ...and nice to get home.

Must have followed you up the M40!!

Thought the penalty kick competition at half time was great. Our fans gave those boys such great support, we made their day!!

Good little ground but think they should have built it with a few more toilets!!

The penalty shootout was great fun and the kids looked like they loved it celebrating their goals in front of us.

Carra could learn a thing or two from this.

Yeah great support and Wycombe was friendlier than I remember it from previous visits whilst accompanying my Boston United supporting mate in the past. Was nice of them to open up quarter of the Bucks Uni stand for us as well. Chinese in town and a pint in a local to top it off after the game, all in all a great day!

Yes just home myself.... after an accident in the snow at Elvedon!

Very good turn out again...

game was abit slow, but was lucky enough to be stood on the touchline, behind the ad boards, listening to Lambert and his instructions. Cant fault the man....

Had a great time.....great result......great support.....and that tiny little lad in their penalty shoot-out at half time was fab - u - lous!!!!![:D]

Very pleased with the performance today, especially in the second half where we dominated, apart from that nervy minute or so where they broke up the pitch and hit the post. City had all the luck in those few seconds as the ball bounced off the post into Fraser Forster’s hands that Wycombe had had in the whole game where the woodwork, the keeper, a force field and divine intervention kept the ball out of the goal.

The first half was not quite the same story where we had plenty of possession but tried to overcomplicate matters in the final third. We also lost possession a couple of times in dangerous positions, and Wycombe got behind our midfield and had they been able to shoot straight it might have been a different story, But they couldn’t and these comments are just nit picking – we were the better team by miles for almost all of the game.

In the second half we started in a more direct style, got Wycombe on the back foot and Grant Holt was a little more central after having often ended up on the wings in the first half. After that we passed-and-moved them off the pitch. We created plenty of chances, forced Scott Shearer into even more saves, and the Wycombe goal had more than a charmed life.

The goal was a huge relief and nothing more than we deserved. A tidy finish from Korey.

My man of the match was Hoolahan with Russell Martin a close second.

And a word on the ref. I’ve seen some clueless idiots this season, and this guy was up there with the worst of them. I hope we don’t see him again.

Back home at 7.00pm after having waited 40 minutes for the Park-n-Ride bus.

It was, the City fans were chanting the kids names as they ran up to take the kicks and their celebrations said it all. Their coach was almost crying as the kids came up to thank the fans, that''s what the game is all about. Well done City, just shows the quality of our fans!!

We waited 40 minutes just for the coaches to get out of the car park. It was a bit of a nightmare. Fancy having a ground in the middle of an industrial estate. Took forever to get into and forever to get out of. Was all worth it though. The difference in class was embarrassing at times but it had a "one of those days" feel about it right until their shot hit the post and bounced into Forster''s grateful arms. Last season that would have gone in for sure.

[quote user="Rupethebear"]It was, the City fans were chanting the kids names as they ran up to take the kicks and their celebrations said it all. Their coach was almost crying as the kids came up to thank the fans, that''s what the game is all about. Well done City, just shows the quality of our fans!![/quote]

Was it Harry, who''s name we were chanting the loudest, the one who missed his penalty?

Just got back aswell. Was a really good day. The support was phenominal today. I was sitting on the side today an even in there was a really good atmosphere.Neil Adams and Chris were right near the fans so you could probably hear us really well on there. had a bit of a chat with Adams before and he''s alot more forthcoming and critical than he is on the radio. I believe there was a bit of a farce with the tickets as i think they may have sold us too many and there were not enough seats so loades of people had to stand at the front.Performance wise I think 1st half we were pretty sloppy but we really turned on the style second half and if it wassnt for their keeper we probably could have got about five. Personally out of our players I was really impressed with Drury as he seemed alot more useful going forward than usual. Diddnt think we were going to get the goal towards the end but thankfully we did.

Agree with everything that''s been said on here so far.I thought the whole day was good.Wycombe fans and every official connected with the club seemed relaxed and this must have been one of the friendliest away games I''ve been to when there''s been something at stake. The approach to Adams Park is through an industrial estate but once inside you''d never guess. Our view from the side was of trees and parkland overlooking the ground which made for a nice setting not a million miles from that which we saw at Paulton. We sat only a few feet from the Radio Norfolk commentary team of Neil Adams and Chris Goreham who shared a pitch with two other local commentators. It was quite interesting to note that amongst all the paraphenalia of pens, clipboards, timers and teamsheets there was still enough room for a couple of blankets to keep their knees warm.......City were easily the better team - the home side had only one shot on target -  but it looked like it was to be one of those days when a late Wycombe shot thudded against the inside of the upright and into Forster''s arms when it was still 0-0. The Wycombe goalie had an inspired day and we really should have won more comfortably.The half-time penalty shoot-out was great fun.The participants at our end were getting smaller and smaller for each kick and I wouldn''t have been surprised if the final taker had been a toddler in nappies. In the end for the last tiny lad the ball was placed about three yards from goal but he only managed to kick it part of the way but decided to score with a second swing at it. Amazingly the goal stood!!  The crowd loved it all.....A few downsides : Not having time to see The White Horse pub floorshow - probably just as well -  the traffic jam at the end of the match, and getting hold of food and drink. With only one one main road into town there''s not a lot can be done about the traffic even with smaller crowds but why can''t the clubs and pubs we visit cater for a large away turnout? Pehaps they don''t need the extra money? We were lucky that by accidentally being in the '' posh '' seats on the side we had easy access to the toilets and the catering outlets but of course they soon ran out of food. I dread to think what it must have been like behind the goal.Similarly quite a few people in the Hourglass pub pre-match simply gave up waiting to be served. The staff did their best against pretty hopeless odds but the away pubs we visit more often than not underestimate the numbers when City roll into town. There''s usually a funny side somewhere too. Here, as the whole pub became a sea of empty glasses with masses of customers lining the bar, the hapless landlady''s predicament was best summed up, when, presumably to the landlord, she bellowed up the stairs, " Get your a*se down here now !! "Priceless....

Hi - everyone

Just back from Wycombe. Slight story as I was born in Norwich and and have been a committed Norwich fan for a while (I first remember the1973 league cup final) before we moved to Wycombe when I was a little kid

At the time Wycombe were a joke team in the Rothmans Ischmian League playing on a sloping pitch in the middle of town

As a kid though I went to all their home games for about 5 years in the late 70s and watched and followed with amazement as they built a new ground and employed Martin O''Neill. I''ve been to Wembley twice as a Wycombe fan and they''re really close to my heart.

Norwich though are closer. Today my whole family and some Wycombe mates were there. My brother gave me tickets as a birthday present as we never believed Wycombe and Norwich would play in the same division.

I have to say it was a bit of torture sitting with the Wycombe fans but the Norwich fans were supurb. I still celebrated our goal and no-one seemed to mind.

The team that did the half time penalty thing are a tiny village team near where I grew up and I watched the shoot-out from next to the away end with a bunch of Wycombe fans. The way the Norwich fans reacted to the half time thing made me proud to support Norwich. Having a great laugh and getting into it - all the Wycombe fans thought you guys\were great. Even giving their keeper a round of applause when he came up as man of the match was mutch appreciated by all the Wycombe fans around me. My brother even admitted it looked a lot more fun in the away stand than where we were.

Agree the ground is good but the transport is shit and needs sorting.

Sorry for the essay but I felt a bit emotional today.I thought the Norwich fans were great today as ever and I saw the opposition appreciate it.

I think the last post sums up why we should be proud to be Norwich fans......well respected and often other fans no 2 team!

Just shows why Colchester should have given us more tickets too!

Parking was absolutely terrible! Got there at quarter past two and couldn''t find anywhere within three miles! Had to sprint all the way with my dad through the woods and down lots of estates! Got there at 3:03 and then they wouldn''t let us in until 3:10 for safety reasons as they had let fans sit anywhere rather than there normal seats!!

Fans were fantastic, as was the penalty shoot-out! LEWIS, LEWIS, LEWIS! He was only about 3!

Good game, total dominance 2nd half but should have gone a goal down. Composed finish by Korey and lovely celebration, as was Lamberts! Ran all the way down the touchline going crazy! That guys got passion!

Russell Martin was fantastic, my MOM. Saved us a few times at the back and looked very good going forward. Makes Otsemobor look like, well Otsemobor! Sign him up!

Finding our way back to the car in darkness was horrendous but eventually we did find it through the woods!

OTBC!

We got there at 1.45 and parked in the first industrial unit we came too, just before the traffic island. It cost £6 but was well worth it as we were in the car just after 5.00, on the M40 by 5.30 and back in Rugby for 7.00.

What a brilliant little club though and like the rest, we loved the penalty shoot out (the boy''s coach also very much appreciated a raucous City support for our end) and I thought the welcome and banter from the club announcer was excellent too, especially when trying to pronounce Otsemobor and getting the mickey taken out of him by us.

Yep was sat with the wycombe fans in the terraced end. Very friendly bunch, and they appreciated the Norwich fans at half time and applauding the MOTM. Must say Shearer in goal put in one of the best goalkeeping displays in a long time, just didnt think it was our day.Got to the park and ride at the cinema for 2:15, didnt get into the ground until 3:15! But of a nightmare. The ground was in a very strange location, but once inside it wasnt too bad.

They mentioned on the Radio about Lambert congratulating shearer... Shearer also played out of his skin.... with theo likely to be on the Way is there more to it than this?

We would need an established 1st choice keeper for next season if we couldnt get Forster permanently and by all accounts its the defence rather than the keeper that let Wycombe down.

January is upon us and Lambert was at wycombe with Shearer was he?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

They mentioned on the Radio about Lambert congratulating shearer... Shearer also played out of his skin.... with theo likely to be on the Way is there more to it than this?

We would need an established 1st choice keeper for next season if we couldnt get Forster permanently and by all accounts its the defence rather than the keeper that let Wycombe down.

[/quote]So we sign him based on 1 performance?He has struggled to keep the Wycombe No1 jersey from Jamie Young over the past 18months.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]
So we sign him based on 1 performance?

He has struggled to keep the Wycombe No1 jersey from Jamie Young over the past 18months.
[/quote]

Lambert was at wycombe with Shearer i beleive....

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

he was cack at caarow rd and speaking to a wwfc fan after the game he''s been cack frequently since. if you want to buy a keeper based on one good performnce we might as well go for paul gallagher!

[quote user="chichcanary"]The team that did the half time penalty thing are a tiny village team near where I grew up [/quote]

Prestwood a tiny village? Its one of the worst (best?)drug centres in the SE

Not sure which way you all went to the A40, I we were about the last to leave the stand and were on the M25 within 30 minutes

Yes interesting day at a club and ground that have not wandered to far from their non League habits of old!

One road into Wycombe then amazingly the stadiums at the end of a dead end st on an industrial estate!

Its all about getting wins where we are in the League which we done fairly convincingly for a 1-0 win although it could have gone pear shaped had Wycombe scored from their free header and the shot was a few inches to the right!

On paper this looked like it was going to be a thrashing but I''d have took a 1-0 before the game so job done!

This is the same keeper that had an absolute howler against Brighton on Bank holiday Monday. I saw him yesterday and he was great, but based on other perfomances. No thanks.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]Agree with everything that''s been said on here so far.

I thought the whole day was good.Wycombe fans and every official connected with the club seemed relaxed and this must have been one of the friendliest away games I''ve been to when there''s been something at stake. The approach to Adams Park is through an industrial estate but once inside you''d never guess. Our view from the side was of trees and parkland overlooking the ground which made for a nice setting not a million miles from that which we saw at Paulton. We sat only a few feet from the Radio Norfolk commentary team of Neil Adams and Chris Goreham who shared a pitch with two other local commentators. It was quite interesting to note that amongst all the paraphenalia of pens, clipboards, timers and teamsheets there was still enough room for a couple of blankets to keep their knees warm.......

City were easily the better team - the home side had only one shot on target -  but it looked like it was to be one of those days when a late Wycombe shot thudded against the inside of the upright and into Forster''s arms when it was still 0-0. The Wycombe goalie had an inspired day and we really should have won more comfortably.

The half-time penalty shoot-out was great fun.The participants at our end were getting smaller and smaller for each kick and I wouldn''t have been surprised if the final taker had been a toddler in nappies. In the end for the last tiny lad the ball was placed about three yards from goal but he only managed to kick it part of the way but decided to score with a second swing at it. Amazingly the goal stood!!  The crowd loved it all.....

A few downsides : Not having time to see The White Horse pub floorshow - probably just as well -  the traffic jam at the end of the match, and getting hold of food and drink. With only one one main road into town there''s not a lot can be done about the traffic even with smaller crowds but why can''t the clubs and pubs we visit cater for a large away turnout? Pehaps they don''t need the extra money? We were lucky that by accidentally being in the '' posh '' seats on the side we had easy access to the toilets and the catering outlets but of course they soon ran out of food. I dread to think what it must have been like behind the goal.

Similarly quite a few people in the Hourglass pub pre-match simply gave up waiting to be served. The staff did their best against pretty hopeless odds but the away pubs we visit more often than not underestimate the numbers when City roll into town. There''s usually a funny side somewhere too. Here, as the whole pub became a sea of empty glasses with masses of customers lining the bar, the hapless landlady''s predicament was best summed up, when, presumably to the landlord, she bellowed up the stairs, " Get your a*se down here now !! "

Priceless....

[/quote]

Great pre match and post match entertainment at The White Horse.  The girls weren''t bad at all and they had a really good selection of real ales, ciders, lagers and spirits along with serving pukka pies and bowls of Curry, or Chile and rice, lasagne, chips etc.  The service from the two young girls behind the bar was friendly and quick and all in all was a novelty experience seeeing the front of some of the girls walking round a local boozer stark bollox naked in broad daylight at 1:30pm on a Saturday afternoon.

Saw your Posh Canaries flag in the side stand.  Hopefully bump in to you at Walsall again in a week or so!