Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

McNamee - Just in case Wes goes...

Its obvious to me that McNamee was signed today as a backup by Lambert in case we receive a fax with a large amount of money on it and Wes''s name at the top.There''s no way the board are going to turn down £2/3millon if there offered it, and if Mcnamee was cheap, which i imagine he was then we have a very good plan b if Wes goes. 442 with McNamee and Lappin on the wings. The only reason we play 433 is to accommodate Wes so if he goes we will revert to 442 and play with wingers, unless Lambo uses Martin in the hole behind Holt and Cody/Barnard/Whoever....Either way i think its an excellent signing and even if Wes isnt sold he could still get injured like last season. McNamee gives us a nice plan B should we need it.

ive not seen McNamee play yet but can he not play at the top of the diamond IF wes went??

Well he came on up front for last 10 mins against Millwall but i have seen him play left and right wing so i dont think he''s a natural replacement for Wes''s role...

Or was he just signed as part of a back up system should Hoolahan''s form drop, or if he were to get injured?Personally, i just don''t see Lambert selling Hoolahan.

[quote user="Big Bad John"]Or was he just signed as part of a back up system should Hoolahan''s form drop, or if he were to get injured?Personally, i just don''t see Lambert selling Hoolahan.[/quote]Lambert will do whats right for the club, and if that means selling Wes for 2,3,4 millon then thats what he will do so he can bring in others. Then again it might be out of his hands, we have a history of never being able to turn down the big money for a player so i cant see that changing.Hopefully nobody will want to pay more than £2m for a League 1 player tho. Cant see us selling for anything less.

I dont think wes will leave , he likes it here and plays in a team that suits his game and a manager who believes in him and all in front of 25,000 fans . If wes left then promotion would be unlikely .

hoolihan is not a natural winger . mcnamee will be great to bring on if things dont go right he will bring plenty of pace on the wing if we need to change the shape of our formation .

[quote user="singing canary"]hoolihan is not a natural winger . mcnamee will be great to bring on if things dont go right he will bring plenty of pace on the wing if we need to change the shape of our formation .[/quote]

From memory he has come on twice as a sub and done nothing, ok it`s not easy coming on with only 10 or 15 mins to go, but as a player trying to land a permenant contract I would have expected to seem him trying to make more of an impact. Everyone  posting seems to be of the view that he is  a  really good addition to the squad, perhaps he is,I will be relieved when I actually see some evidence of that.

So don''t you trust Lambert, Culverhouse, Crook to make the right judgement based on what they see on a daily basis at Colney?

If push came to shove I think we have already seen who Lambert thinks can do that position instead of Wes - C. Martin. Every time Wes has come off the pitch another striker has gone on and Martin has dropped deap. In all fairness he does a pretty good job of it too, he has the vision and the ability to play the through balls the only difference is the skill and in fairness what Martin doesn''t have in that department he has in strength to hold off other players.

[quote user="Jack Flash"]So don''t you trust Lambert, Culverhouse, Crook to make the right judgement based on what they see on a daily basis at Colney?[/quote]

My comment refers to what I have seen on the pitch in  two very short appearances, as for trusting the management team , they are doing a fantastic job and have proved they can motivate and bring the best out of players at Division 2 level, who have they signed so far?

The sometimes tricky winger McNamee was signed by David Byrne/Maurice Malpas in January 2008 for an undisclosed fee from Watford.

On his day, McNamee was a constant threat - I recall the winger giving Frank Sinclair a torrid time in a win over Huddersfield early in his Swindon career.

Sadly, these displays became few and far between and eventually it was pretty clear that he no longer had any desire to play for the Robins - especially during his 22 appearances this season. He didn''t even celebrate his goal at Tranmere Rovers!

[quote user="Brendan"]I dont think he''ll go. Didnt Lambo say "for 8 Mil i''ll think about it." or something?
[/quote]

I dont think he will go either, he`d be an idiot if  he did, he`s got it made with us.

[quote user="Askous Tackle"]ive not seen McNamee play yet but can he not play at the top of the diamond IF wes went??[/quote]

McNamee played at the top of the diamond for Swindon when they played at Norwich earlier in the season, as Jonathan Douglas was suspended. He didn''t look that effective to be honest. He did drift out wide to the left a couple of times and looked as if he might to something there. He was subbed in the second half after an hour or so.

So based on what I saw, maybe not, but how can he be judged on one game?