Sign in to follow this  
Hooleyfan

Does a cup run really help?

I''m looking at Leeds and wondering whether the fact that they are still in the JPT and FA cups is particularly helpful.

My theory is that for a failing Premier league side, the chance to get a few results against lower opposition to sandwich between your poor league form would be useful and restore confidence. But for the likes of us and Leeds, who are playing well and have more immediate and realistic ambitions this season, I think it is more of a hindrance and potentially sapping of what are not inexaustable squads. Good luck to Leeds but I think we could well benefit. Was it last season or the one before when Barnsley went on a giant killing cup run...we played them in this period and stuffed them.

I think it depends how far you go in the cup to be honest. At this stage of the season I think you want to try and win as many games as possible in all competitions to try and get a bit of momentum going. But as the cup competitions progress there is always the worry that players will lose focus in league games. If one of your players is carrying a slight knock which he would usually play through will he still want to do that if there''s a risk he could miss an FA Cup semi-final? If a defender is one booking away from a suspension will he risk making a last ditch tackle in a league game if you''re due to play at Old Trafford in a quarter-final next week?

Depends on which side you are talking about. I think that a good cup run from Leeds could really help us out, as it would increase the number of games they have to play, increasing the chances of their players getting fatigue, injuries, suspensions etc. I''m not really annoyed about Norwich being out of the cup as we now know how many fixtures we have remaining, and all I''m really bothered about this season is the League.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

who is your picture of? you have edited it on paint [;)]

[/quote]

I think it''s Obama, but he''s going to have to try a lot harder than that to get my vote in the next election. [:D]

Depends on injuries to key players really.Lambert''s Wycombe squad that reached the semi-finals of the League Cup back in 2006 went on a run of eleven games without a win (including four defeats on the bounce) which left them just above mid-table come the end of the season - they did suffer injuries to key players because of the cup run.As evidenced at Carlisle, there is a strong possibility that Lambo put Cup involvement on the back-burner in preference of the promotion cause - he''s learning from past experience.Which makes me like the man even more.If within this month he acquires a pacey RIGHT-winger who can cross a ball, I''d be tempted to give him a rim-job.