Sign in to follow this  
canaries1985

David Bell

Scored against Portsmouth at the weekend. With the likes of Bell and Croft playing in the championship. Begs the question would either get in our current team the way we''re playing? Obviously the issue of our diamond formation but quality wise how do they compare to our current crop?

Think Bell would get in for Lappin, same sort of players but bells delivery from free kicks and corners probably slightly better than lappin''s.

Tricky one this, I still don''t know if I rate Bell or not.But I do think that it was our lack of management and coaching abilities at the club, at that particular time, that brought about his transfer. A good manager takes players and makes them into a team, playing to certain players strengths both physically and positionally. You only have to look at how Lambo has man-managed players and got the best out of them to see the difference.

[quote user="Weve only got two songs"]Think Bell would get in for Lappin, same sort of players but bells delivery from free kicks and corners probably slightly better than lappin''s.[/quote]Bell is far more talented than Lappin, and theres no doubt his ability to both deliver and score goals is of a higher standard.However, to Lappins credit, he works far harder than Bell, and this allows him to fit into various different systems. Also his willingness to get stuck in and put in a few tackles is another valuable asset of Lappins, and it always seemed something Bell was happy to refrain from doing unfortunately.In our current system i''d be happier with Lappin, though i''d prefer Bell in a 4-4-2 system.

Bell was a very decent footballer and linked up well with Hoolahan when they played behind Lita as a lone striker around Christmas time last season. I said at the time when he was moved on that losing a player who had created a decent number of assists along with Lupoli, who had scored his fair share of goals despite a lack of playing time, would cost us. I never really bought the line from Gunny that Bell was desperate to move back home as it seemed so sudden and that no compromise had ever been looked at.

Crofty got a lot of stick on here, he may not be the most technically gifted players ive seen play for Norwich..... but he gave 100% every game for us which is more that can be said for some of the shite we had in our team last season!!!!!!

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

Bell was a very decent footballer and linked up well with Hoolahan when they played behind Lita as a lone striker around Christmas time last season. I said at the time when he was moved on that losing a player who had created a decent number of assists along with Lupoli, who had scored his fair share of goals despite a lack of playing time, would cost us. I never really bought the line from Gunny that Bell was desperate to move back home as it seemed so sudden and that no compromise had ever been looked at.

[/quote]

Agreed. Bell was a class act and we should have kept him.

See Shack, I managed to do that without any cock waving whatsoever[;)]

Just spoke to a Derby fan who absolutely slated Croft, and said he was not alone.  Just like a lot on here last season, he cannot fault him for effort, but final delivery is p*ss poor, and he hasn''t been finding the net either.  A headless chicken, and in his words, the sooner he is out of here, the better the chance of a good player coming in.  He said he was also also looking very porky again.  I assume this is because he is living back in his home town again (Derby is commutable) and thus is out and about with his mates having a few sherberts and kebabs!

So if you still think him good enough, sounds like he will be available.  I for one wouldn''t want to see him back. 

David Bell can cross but cant run and Croft can run but cant cross. If only there was a mutation of the two. Even likes of top prem players like lennon find it hard to put decent crosses in. Surely in this day and age cant be too hard to be able to run with the ball and cross it?

[quote user="canaries1985"]David Bell can cross but cant run and Croft can run but cant cross. If only there was a mutation of the two. Even likes of top prem players like lennon find it hard to put decent crosses in. Surely in this day and age cant be too hard to be able to run with the ball and cross it?[/quote]Crossing and pace are the two things McNamee is best at (and very good at) according to Swindon Town fans.However his faults seem to reside in his build, effort, and ability to put the ball in the net.

Ability wise I''m sure both of them would be in contention.

Unless he''s changed I think Bell would be too lazy for Lambert.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

Bloody hell you have got a good memory. Just wait until Shyster turns up, it''s amazing how quickly he can get you to flop the old boy out and start waving it about. Is there something you two want to share with the rest of us [;)]

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

Bloody hell you have got a good memory. Just wait until Shyster turns up, it''s amazing how quickly he can get you to flop the old boy out and start waving it about. Is there something you two want to share with the rest of us [;)]

[/quote]

Ha ha, I think he brings out my dark side! On a more serious note, Happy New Year. I''m guessing your son must be coming up to his first birthday soon as he arrived shortly after my grandson if my memory serves me correctly?

[quote user="Big Bad John"][quote user="Weve only got two songs"]Think Bell would get in for Lappin, same sort of players but bells delivery from free kicks and corners probably slightly better than lappin''s.[/quote]Bell is far more talented than Lappin, However, to Lappins credit, he works far harder than Bell, and this allows him to fit into various different systems. Also his willingness to get stuck in and put in a few tackles is another valuable asset of Lappins, and it always seemed something Bell was happy to refrain from doing unfortunately.In our current system i''d be happier with Lappin, though i''d prefer Bell in a 4-4-2 system.[/quote]Although Bell can play both wings, surely he prefers RIGHT wing? Wasn''t it just Roeder who kept playing him on the left? There would be room for both a Bell and a Lappin IMO. Bell is a quality player and led our "assists" table even after he departed - who cares if he lacked the speed and "effort" of Lee No-End Product Croft?. Our goal rate fell from that point on. When Bell left Gunn was quoted as saying: "David hasn''t had the opportunity to show us his quality on his preferred side of the pitch."

[quote user="Binky"][quote user="Big Bad John"][quote user="Weve only got two songs"]Think Bell would get in for Lappin, same sort of players but bells delivery from free kicks and corners probably slightly better than lappin''s.[/quote]Bell is far more talented than Lappin, However, to Lappins credit, he works far harder than Bell, and this allows him to fit into various different systems. Also his willingness to get stuck in and put in a few tackles is another valuable asset of Lappins, and it always seemed something Bell was happy to refrain from doing unfortunately.In our current system i''d be happier with Lappin, though i''d prefer Bell in a 4-4-2 system.[/quote]Although Bell can play both wings, surely he prefers RIGHT wing? Wasn''t it just Roeder who kept playing him on the left? There would be room for both a Bell and a Lappin IMO. Bell is a quality player and led our "assists" table even after he departed - who cares if he lacked the speed and "effort" of Lee No-End Product Croft?. Our goal rate fell from that point on. When Bell left Gunn was quoted as saying: "David hasn''t had the opportunity to show us his quality on his preferred side of the pitch." [/quote]I''m aware of that, though i was comparing the two rather than trying to come up with a practical solution that would allow us to play the both of them.

I seem to recall a lot of this type of discussion last season - Bell was clearly far more skilful but seemed to either be injured or disinterested....meanwhile Croft would put in 100% but that couldn''t mask his deficiencies in the skill department. If you could have merged the best bits of the two you''d have a class act more than at home in the Prem.

Re: the comments from Derby fans, I know a couple of Man City fans who said precisely the same thing when we signed Croft, and to be fair, it is what many of us said when Derby signed him off us!

I never really saw the big deal over David Bell. I''ve heard and seen lots of people say things about him being a very clever/intelligent/talented player etc etc but apart from whipping a few good balls into the box I didn''t see him do much else for us.

He didn''t like to run for the ball going forward, he didn''t like tracking back and what was especially annoying was that when he gave the ball away cheaply (which he did a fair bit of) he rarely (if ever) tried to win it back.

I actually thought he''d be better than he was for us but overall I thought he was disappointing.

[quote user="Big Bad John"][quote user="Binky"][quote user="Big Bad John"][quote user="Weve only got two songs"]Think Bell would get in for Lappin, same sort of players but bells delivery from free kicks and corners probably slightly better than lappin''s.[/quote][/quote]Although Bell can play both wings, surely he prefers RIGHT wing? Wasn''t it just Roeder who kept playing him on the left? There would be room for both a Bell and a Lappin IMO. Bell is a quality player and led our "assists" table even after he departed - who cares if he lacked the speed and "effort" of Lee No-End Product Croft?. Our goal rate fell from that point on. When Bell left Gunn was quoted as saying: "David hasn''t had the opportunity to show us his quality on his preferred side of the pitch." [/quote]I''m aware of that, though i was comparing the two rather than trying to come up with a practical solution that would allow us to play the both of them.[/quote]Understood - and you weren''t the first to do so - but where''s the point in that? They are not mutually exclusive. Roeder liked to play Bell on the left so Croft could play on the right and he could answer any criticism from within as to why an expensive player (in wages) like Lappin was not even being considered. Roeder seems to have enjoyed playing players out of position, presumably to show them who was the boss. (Even so, he usually referred to Lappin in the press as a left back and how Drury would always be ahead in the pecking order). Had he used Bell and Lappin on each wing - both of them excellent providers of "assists" - and made the ineffective Croft fight for his place, it could all have been so very different. (He might even still be our manager! ;) ).

[quote user="shefcanary"]

Just spoke to a Derby fan who absolutely slated Croft, and said he was not alone.  Just like a lot on here last season, he cannot fault him for effort, but final delivery is p*ss poor, and he hasn''t been finding the net either.  A headless chicken, and in his words, the sooner he is out of here, the better the chance of a good player coming in.  He said he was also also looking very porky again.  I assume this is because he is living back in his home town again (Derby is commutable) and thus is out and about with his mates having a few sherberts and kebabs!

So if you still think him good enough, sounds like he will be available.  I for one wouldn''t want to see him back. 

[/quote]

Spoke to Crofty a couple of weeks back in a service station at Thetford when he was coming up to Carra as Hucks guest for a home game...he was buyng choccy bars and pop at the time...no doubt part of a Derby balanced diet.

[quote user="canaries1985"]David Bell can cross but cant run and Croft can run but cant cross. If only there was a mutation of the two. Even likes of top prem players like lennon find it hard to put decent crosses in. Surely in this day and age cant be too hard to be able to run with the ball and cross it?[/quote]

Spot on, trouble is those players cost twice as much :o)

Bell expressed his desire to leave as soon as the knives were out for Roeder, along with several others only Rusty is still with us.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ha ha, I think he brings out my dark side! On a more serious note, Happy New Year. I''m guessing your son must be coming up to his first birthday soon as he arrived shortly after my grandson if my memory serves me correctly?

[/quote]Cheers mate and a Happy New Year to you too. My little lad was one on New Years Eve and has pleased his Daddy no end by taking the plastic balls out of one of his toys and kicking them around the front room. Every time he tries to kick one with his right I smack the bottom of his foot with a rolled up newspaper*. He will develop a ''cultured'' left foot just like mine (why do you think I always cut Hooly so much slack. Us lefties have to stick together to beat the institutionalised racism of all right footers [;)])!When is your Grandson''s first birthday? If you''re anything like my Dad you''ll have bought enough toy trucks, cars, workbenches and fire engines to fill Carrow Road [:D]* I don''t actually do this................I''ve bound his right foot with fishing line so he can''t use it [;)]

Im still a bit gutted abour Roeder selling Bell and Shackall, they where both quality imo. Think how impressive our 1st 11 would look now with Bell coming in for Lapin and Shackall in for Doc or Askou! Very much doubt either player would have been willing to drop down to league 1 tho

[quote user="Mister Chops"]If we''d kept Bell and got rid of Croft, I think we would have stayed up.

[/quote]

I think he was desperate to get away, he never played at his best for us, like most players under Roeder.

[quote user="Askounin"]Im still a bit gutted abour Roeder selling Bell and Shackall[/quote]Roeder didn''t sell Bell, Gunn did. It was on the morning of the Doncaster game I think.

Bell and Roeder and then Gunn clearly did not see eye to eye;  Crofts effort was valued ahead of Bells actual ability to create chances - was it 7 assists in about a quarter of a season compared to 5 for croft (plus 5 goals?) for Croft?

I am with Mr Chops on this one.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Bell and Roeder and then Gunn clearly did not see eye to eye;  Crofts effort was valued ahead of Bells actual ability to create chances - was it 7 assists in about a quarter of a season compared to 5 for croft (plus 5 goals?) for Croft?

I am with Mr Chops on this one.

[/quote]

Must have been pretty easy for David Bell to clock up those assists when all he had to do was take set pieces. The rest of the time he stood still.