Sign in to follow this  
Flashman

News on new centre half

Has anyone heard any rumours about who Lambert might be bringing in at centre back. He said himself that this was his top priority.

Although I am no Leeds fan, it must be said that they defended magnificently yesterday and I don''t think we could have come close to that with the present line up.

Although we dominated Wycombe, we were still vulnerable in defence. To quote Steve Gedge in today''s EDP "City did try to overcomplicate things occasionally, and in the first half let the quite appalling Wycombe strikers get through to fire embarrassingly wide more times than they deserved". On top of this, Wycombe hit the inside of the post plus and to quote the EDP again "unmarked Davies somehow managed to head wide from 10 yards".

We got away with it this time but of course we didn''t at Carlisle, Yeovil, etc. However, if we can get the centre back problem sorted then we will simply have a better team than Leeds. The most relaxed I have felt with our defence this season was the second half against Millwall when Nelson and Martin had settled in together. Interestingly, I recall Lambert saying that Millwall were the best side we had faced in the league at home this season but interestingly, they posed few problems for our defence, particularly in the second half.

It was clear from the Millwall game that we are a tighter defensive unit without Doherty although I don''t blame Lambert for not wishing to continue playing Martin out of position after this game.

So, does anyone have any news on Doherty''s replacement?

i thought tranmere gave us more problems to be honest!!!! and we are naturally more settled with askou in the side, but i do agree that until we play those of a higher standard as leeds did, our players cant show the level they are capable of. Also..bare in mind that manure were shocking too.

Yes I rate Spillane too, he is back in training is he not?

Although I see Spillane as more of a RB who can cover CB if required. I don''t think he will displace R.Martin upon his return to the matchday squad, but I see him replacing Semi on the bench...which may mean Semi could leave.

[quote user="Flashman"]

So, does anyone have any news on Doherty''s replacement?[/quote]Don''t think the Doc is going anywhere just yet, to misquote a previous manager of NCFC: "He''s earned the right to play".

Zak Whitbread signing according to The Current Bun this morning, £500''000 -doesn''t say we are "interested" or "looking at him", says we are signing him.

Decent player, started at Liverpool I think?

Expect we''ll all Wiki him if its true.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]Zak Whitbread signing according to The Current Bun this morning, £500''000 -doesn''t say we are "interested" or "looking at him", says we are signing him. Decent player, started at Liverpool I think? Expect we''ll all Wiki him if its true.[/quote]

got a link for that mate?

[quote user="Flashman"]

It was clear from the Millwall game that we are a tighter defensive unit without Doherty although I don''t blame Lambert for not wishing to continue playing Martin out of position after this game.

So, does anyone have any news on Doherty''s replacement?[/quote]Without getting into this again, we looked anything but solid in the first half an hour of that game, with Nelson, Russell, and Otsemobor all guilty of potentially catastrophic mistakes which better attacking teams would have punished. Agreed, we settled down after a while, but I certainly wouldn''t say we looked particularly solid. IMO we look far more solid with Doherty in the centre of our defence, although I too find his hair colour and build quite offensive at times.The only way I can see Doc leaving is if we get good money for him, as he surely is our strongest centre back, in terms of defense and attacking at set pieces, on this season''s form anyway.

Sounds like he''s definitely on his way out of Milwall, but he was talking to Posh and the deal broke down as a result of "his excessive wage demands". Doesn''t sound like he''d fit our budget, unfortunately. Blackburn have also shown interest.

Hang on? "Does anyone have any new on Doherty''s replacement?". To be honest, I don''t think he''s going anywhere and rightly so, he''s our best centre back. As has been debated on here time and time again.

The better question is the title of this thread, we could do with another centre half to strengthen the squad, but no-one is going to replace Doherty at the moment.

Agree with Norwich MP-any new centre back is not, and should not be, considered as a replacement for the Doc-although if the Doc chooses to leave at the end of the season or exercise the right he now has to talk to other clubs, thats a different matter.

If, for example, we signed Whitbread-thats a defence of Otsemobor/Martin/Nelson/Docherty/Whitbread/Askou/Drury/Whiggins -any four of those eight to play and all fairly decent, expect Whiggins, when he gets the chance, to prove himself a good player.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]Agree with Norwich MP-any new centre back is not, and should not be, considered as a replacement for the Doc-although if the Doc chooses to leave at the end of the season or exercise the right he now has to talk to other clubs, thats a different matter. If, for example, we signed Whitbread-thats a defence of Otsemobor/Martin/Nelson/Docherty/Whitbread/Askou/Drury/Whiggins -any four of those eight to play and all fairly decent, expect Whiggins, when he gets the chance, to prove himself a good player.[/quote]

You got a link for the whitbread rumour?

[quote user="Flashman"]It was clear from the Millwall game that we are a tighter defensive unit without Doherty although I don''t blame Lambert for not wishing to continue playing Martin out of position after this game. So, does anyone have any news on Doherty''s replacement?[/quote]

What?

Doc and Askou is a great paring, must be one of the best in the league.....

[quote user="Largey"]Yes I rate Spillane too, he is back in training is he not? Although I see Spillane as more of a RB who can cover CB if required. I don''t think he will displace R.Martin upon his return to the matchday squad, but I see him replacing Semi on the bench...which may mean Semi could leave.[/quote]

Not back training until next week or the week after.

Zak Whitbread is a good player so would be well chuffed if any truth in this. Can''t believe we''ve got £500K to spend though unless either (i) we have managed to restructure our debts (ii) Foulger/Delia have bunged some more cash in or (iii) we are going for broke for promotion!

I was surprised at how good Leeds were, there defence was good altho Man Utd did miss a host of chances, so really poor finishing from Rooney and Co rather than top defending in my opinion.But overall they looked like a premiership side on sunday, not 100% positive we would have done the same. Was praying for Beckford to score, and he not only did that but played well. Hopefully he will now be on his way and we can snatch 1st.

[quote user="Weve only got two songs"]

[quote user="Old Shuck"]Zak Whitbread signing according to The Current Bun this morning, £500''000 -doesn''t say we are "interested" or "looking at him", says we are signing him. Decent player, started at Liverpool I think? Expect we''ll all Wiki him if its true.[/quote]

got a link for that mate?

[/quote]

I can''t find it on their website, but it is on page 56 of their paper, very small bit, just under "HUTH''S IN UPSON OUT".

A good, experienced centre half and he''s still only 25. I''d be happy with this.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Zak Whitbread is a good player so would be well chuffed if any truth in this. Can''t believe we''ve got £500K to spend though unless either (i) we have managed to restructure our debts (ii) Foulger/Delia have bunged some more cash in or (iii) we are going for broke for promotion![/quote]

We have. It was a pretty close run thing and just as well we did or the

dreaded 10 point deduction was looming! Can''t comment on the other two

however!

How about Martin ''Tiny'' Taylor? Would cost the earth in fees, maybe with wages, certainly loved his time here.