Sign in to follow this  
Spartan

Could the rest of the ground match the Barclay & Snake Pit noise levels?

What a boost it would give the team if fans in other areas of the ground could match the enthusiasm and noise levels of those in the Barclay and Snake Pit. What if they could not only match it as the teams come out at the start but also sustain it throughout the game? We sit at the old river end (where I watched the ''59 cup run as a child) and often wonder how we could encourage a more vocal support from all areas of the ground; our fellow supporters ''down the far end'' put us to shame!

[quote user="Spartan"]What a boost it would give the team if fans in other areas of the ground could match the enthusiasm and noise levels of those in the Barclay and Snake Pit. What if they could not only match it as the teams come out at the start but also sustain it throughout the game? We sit at the old river end (where I watched the ''59 cup run as a child) and often wonder how we could encourage a more vocal support from all areas of the ground; our fellow supporters ''down the far end'' put us to shame![/quote]Having spent most of this season in the South Stand, I can report that not much noise reaches me from either the Barclay or the Snake Pit… maybe it''s a simple matter of sound waves etc etc but I have been really surprised at how quiet they have sounded from where I sit… which is near to the away fans and therefore relatively close to the Barclay at least! Maybe I''m just getting luggy!? Maybe they''re just not that loud any more? Nothing has got close to the Bayern game for me in terms of sheer volume!

[quote user="Andy Larkin"][quote user="Spartan"]What a boost it would give the team if fans in other areas of the ground could match the enthusiasm and noise levels of those in the Barclay and Snake Pit. What if they could not only match it as the teams come out at the start but also sustain it throughout the game? We sit at the old river end (where I watched the ''59 cup run as a child) and often wonder how we could encourage a more vocal support from all areas of the ground; our fellow supporters ''down the far end'' put us to shame![/quote]Having spent most of this season in the South Stand, I can report that not much noise reaches me from either the Barclay or the Snake Pit… maybe it''s a simple matter of sound waves etc etc but I have been really surprised at how quiet they have sounded from where I sit… which is near to the away fans and therefore relatively close to the Barclay at least! Maybe I''m just getting luggy!? Maybe they''re just not that loud any more? Nothing has got close to the Bayern game for me in terms of sheer volume!

[/quote]Nope, we''re just not that loud anymore unfortunately. When OTBC is sung as like a big event at the start of games the opposition must just laugh at us, nobody bothers anymore, it''s embarrassing.

I must say that towards the end of the last few seasons ( Reading last year aside ) when the atmosphere has been pumped up throughout the ground we have hammered teams - it must help the players.

This year it seems as soon as we score the atmosphere drops as everyone assumes we have won, brilliant idea Spartan

In the barclay for charlton game, and the atmosphere in there was electric! (compared to other games this season) So not all bad, yes the noise level has dropped, but its the same all over the ground!

I am now located front row Block K Jarrold and have chosen the position for viewing quality not volume. Occasionally, we get a bit of singing going but not enough and consistent enough. I get my singing exercise at away games thank goodness.

I dont know what happened last home game against Millwall, but the opening OTBC was terrible...no one kept in time with each other and it was all over the place to the point of prematurely fizzling out (which reminds me of something else but we wont go there!). I wondered whether we have a dodgy PA system that got supporters starting our anthem off at slightly different times...failing that perhaps we could get Andre Previn in to keep us in time.

[quote user="Hooleyfan"]I am now located front row Block K Jarrold and have chosen the position for viewing quality not volume. [/quote]Well on the front row you certainly can''t complain about volumes.......of rain that is.I sit further back than the TV gantry and even there we get rain swirling in sometimes. Regarding noise us '' over 21''s '' have been known to get carried away a bit sometimes and there can be a fair bit  although  nothing like in the Barclay and Snakepit areas. Incidentally I''ve always found the view from higher up to be better as you can judge distances much better with an angle. Unless you''re unlucky enough to be sat behind Geoff Capes it''s unobstructed too.

[quote user="SnakePit Lassy"]we have been quieter recently, but i still dont think anyone could match the noise made in the snakepit :P EVEN YOU RASTAMAN ;)[/quote]

RASTAMAN is a ledgend in his own lifetime, we could do with a few clones of him scattered around the ground.

If Snakepit Lassy and TheFuturesYellow are referring to me[lower Barclay AB5] as Rastaman,you''ve got the wrong guy......dunno who he is or what he looks like

[quote user="SnakePit Lassy"]we have been quieter recently, but i still dont think anyone could match the noise made in the snakepit :P

EVEN YOU RASTAMAN ;)[/quote]Rubbish. The snakepit used to be good, used to make a lot of noise and used to really intimidate opposition players when they approach that corner to take a free kick/corner etc. Not anymore I''m afraid, snakepit now makes considerably less noise than the also nowhere near as good as it used to be Barclay.

Midnight was my army nickname which has been carried forth by a few army/city buddies.............and there you go,or rather,i go,totally off thread....hey ho

Why can''t people watch a football match in peace?

The only chants i hear the Barclay/snake pit sining is at each other.....