Sign in to follow this  
Arthur Whittle

NCFC Club Shop - Division 3 Club With Premiership Prices!!!

[quote user="king canary"]Everyone Loves Raymond is rubbish though.
[/quote]

That was not the point I was making.  Arthur''s drunken neice said American comedies were crap shown on obscure channels at odd hours, so I sarcastically agreed with him and listed a line up of shows that probably have or do get regular air time on major networks in England.  I base that mostly on the fact that so many of you have opinions of the shows so they must be fairly widely available.

Fawlty Towers, while classic, was 30 years ago and lasted for less than 1 season for God knows what reason. How long are people going to beat that dead horse for an example of quality TV from England?

Did the documentary Arthur''s neice watch compare any other country, or was it just the USA again?  It might be new and interesting if it did a comparison beween someone else for once.  The conclusion, without seeing the show, should be that different cultures have different tastes.  You should see the crap we get here from Mexico.  It''s like what might have been considered slightly outrageous but mostly ridiculous in the 1950s, but my in-laws eat that stuff up. BumbleBee Man from the Simpson''s is based on Mexican "comedy" TV, and he is in no way an exaggeration of what they put on those shows. He is funny not because he gets his stinger caught in a giant mouse trap, but because the whole scene is making fun of something that lame being considered worthy of being on television.

In England Houston we call them series not seasons, and I dont know where you got your info from but Fawlty Towers ran for 2 seasons, sorry series. Over here we tend to have only 2 or 3 series of classic comedys with the od exception, the modern era had 2 series of the office, classed worldwide as a classic, 3 Alan Partidges, 2 Extras Porridge 3 series, Likely lads 3 series, Fawlty Towers 2 series etc etc, the only exception to this has been Only Fools and Horses and peep show. We tend not to continue comedy gold into too many series so they dont die a painful death as ws the case with Only fools, which was embaressing to watch by the end.

I dont know what Sienfeld is as I have never seen it advertised, but have seen Curb and love it, alothough Curb, hasnt got a script so is not what you would class a sitcom as such.

Over here we have complete tosh too, 2 packets of Fags and a bag of crisps possibly the worst sitcom i have wasted time to watch, my family as my nephew said is poor, Nicholas Lyndhurst was in a new comedy lately that was dreadfull, My hero terrible, the main problem with comedy here is that the mainstrem garbage goes on bbc1 or itv, you have to go to bbc2/3 and channel 4/more 4 etc to get the decent comedy.

I do agree with my nephews on one point and that is I never got friends, fraiser, etc, sorry not my cup of tea. A bit too....well...i dont know what to say without offending you.

But, I do like Curb and have watched a cartoon,yes me watching a cartoon, called family guy and i was in stitches.

The 1st few messages on this thread and the last one at around 7am were me. Inbetween that it was my nephews, thinking it would be fun to hijack my acccount.

The buggers will rue the day!!! LOL.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]In England Houston we call them series not seasons, and I dont know where you got your info from but Fawlty Towers ran for 2 seasons, sorry series. Over here we tend to have only 2 or 3 series of classic comedys with the od exception, the modern era had 2 series of the office, classed worldwide as a classic, 3 Alan Partidges, 2 Extras Porridge 3 series, Likely lads 3 series, Fawlty Towers 2 series etc etc, the only exception to this has been Only Fools and Horses and peep show. We tend not to continue comedy gold into too many series so they dont die a painful death as ws the case with Only fools, which was embaressing to watch by the end.

I dont know what Sienfeld is as I have never seen it advertised, but have seen Curb and love it, alothough Curb, hasnt got a script so is not what you would class a sitcom as such.

Over here we have complete tosh too, 2 packets of Fags and a bag of crisps possibly the worst sitcom i have wasted time to watch, my family as my nephew said is poor, Nicholas Lyndhurst was in a new comedy lately that was dreadfull, My hero terrible, the main problem with comedy here is that the mainstrem garbage goes on bbc1 or itv, you have to go to bbc2/3 and channel 4/more 4 etc to get the decent comedy.

I do agree with my nephews on one point and that is I never got friends, fraiser, etc, sorry not my cup of tea. A bit too....well...i dont know what to say without offending you.

But, I do like Curb and have watched a cartoon,yes me watching a cartoon, called family guy and i was in stitches.[/quote]To me I think its a shame English comedies dont make more series. It would be a challange to them, I understand the pulling of it before it gets stale, but many American comedies manage to keep going and stay fresh. South Park has improved with age, and Friends lasted a good 6 seasons before it stated to get a bit predictable. Also dramas like the Wire and Lost sustain series that last for over 20 episodes at a time without struggling. Having lived in both countries (albiet briefly in USA) I would take most US television output over the UK.Apart from Everybody Loves Raymond that sucks.

I agree with your thoughts King Canary, and that is a debate worth its own thread.

Im just wondering how we got from the price of Delias Chef hats in the club shop, to the rise and fall of the comedy scene in the Uk and US???

Welcome back Art - yeah , the thread has gone a bit OT but it''s all good fun.I

was in Norwich yesterday and had a look at the DVD in the Mall - It''s

got to be one of the cheapest and worst looking packages i''ve seen. The

inlay pictures are terrible and its Cody, Otsemobor and Lita on the

cover. I wouldn''t buy it for a fiver even if I was roaring drunk and in

one of Great Yarmouths souvenir shops.I liked the ''thats why

he''s called whittle'' joke by Chops....flew over a lot of heads.....but

there has been a lot of whooshing and swerving going on.

Allowing the Yanks to use the same language as us has been the downfall of our national culture and seen the end of our "Englishness".........

Visit France...Sweden...Italy etc etc. and you will quickly see that they have retained their individuality. We on the other hand have become little more than a shabby American State now.... and we are hated by the rest of the world because of it.

Bloody Yanks. Never mind Iran and North Korea...America is the most dangerous nation in the World without equal.

[quote user="Scottlarock"]Welcome back Art - yeah , the thread has gone a bit OT but it''s all good fun.

I was in Norwich yesterday and had a look at the DVD in the Mall - It''s got to be one of the cheapest and worst looking packages i''ve seen. The inlay pictures are terrible and its Cody, Otsemobor and Lita on the cover. I wouldn''t buy it for a fiver even if I was roaring drunk and in one of Great Yarmouths souvenir shops.

I liked the ''thats why he''s called whittle'' joke by Chops....flew over a lot of heads.....but there has been a lot of whooshing and swerving going on.

[/quote]

I reckon we should go a bit further than that. How about boycotting games until the offending item is taken off the shelves[:O] That''ll larrrrn ''em[:@]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Scottlarock"]Welcome back Art - yeah , the thread has gone a bit OT but it''s all good fun.I was in Norwich yesterday and had a look at the DVD in the Mall - It''s got to be one of the cheapest and worst looking packages i''ve seen. The inlay pictures are terrible and its Cody, Otsemobor and Lita on the cover. I wouldn''t buy it for a fiver even if I was roaring drunk and in one of Great Yarmouths souvenir shops.I liked the ''thats why he''s called whittle'' joke by Chops....flew over a lot of heads.....but there has been a lot of whooshing and swerving going on.

[/quote]

I reckon we should go a bit further than that. How about boycotting games until the offending item is taken off the shelves[:O] That''ll larrrrn ''em[:@]

[/quote]very creative and really really funny.......thank you.

I just found it, and the reply "I" gave.

"No Chops, hes called Arthur Whittle, because funnily enough, thats what my parents named me.........."

I think there is a slight clue that its not written by me.....the wording "HES called Arthur Whittle" why would I refer to myself as he??? I would have said "Im".???

Cluck, you obviously would prefer it if Iran or N Korea was the dominant power on the planet because they are reknowned for their open minds, kindness, generosity and reliablity. With a bit of luck, Hugo Chavez will take over the western hemisphere.

I am no fan of the show Friends. A few episodes are fine, but most of them are annoying. Phoebe, the supposedly funny one is embarrassingly lame with her perky ignorance.

As for souvenir prices, I bought some very nice t-shirts at Gt Yarmouth several summers ago, and plan on getting some more this summer for me and my kids, plus a Texas guy I have converted into an NCFC fan by never shutting up about them!

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/11290395/Danny-Dyer-Football-Foul-Ups/Product.html

Danny Dyers football foul ups, £5.99 and free delivery with play.com....surely that cost more than our relegation dvd????????

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/11290395/Danny-Dyer-Football-Foul-Ups/Product.html

Danny Dyers football foul ups, £5.99 and free delivery with play.com....surely that cost more than our relegation dvd????????[/quote]

Arthur I''ve had some small involvement with commercial filming and post production of the footage and can tell you it can be a veritable legal minefield. The most obvious issues to me are who owned the equipment and who controlled the recordings, and then you need to look at the recording contract to assess liability and ownership of copyright.I''d hazard a guess that much of the relegation DVD was filmed on ITV equipment at ITV''s cost and the disproportionately high price charged by the club shop reflects the fact that ITV are recouping some of that not inconsiderable expenditure by virtue of a licensing arrangement with the club.

{TV companies put a high price on their rushes, you''d be surprised at what they''d rather shelve indefinitely or destroy intentionally to maintain their pricing structure. We were quoted £16,000 for a 30 year old 3 minute clip by ITV (Granada [:O]), stock or commisioned footage for tv/film can sell for £1000-2500 (and upwards) per minute or part thereof, of course they sell professional footage for much more}.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]But surely this Danny Dyer football dvd has the same problems and is selling for a mere £5.99???[/quote]I see a couple of possibilities - the potential market of the Dyer DVD is far greater than that of NCFC, so economies of scale dictate it can be sold cheaper. OR, it''s crap and in the bargain bucket, in which case the wholesaler/retailer may be selling at a loss?

Saw your letter re this subject in the EEN tonight Arthur, the bit about Delia being allowed to sell her cook books and aprons in the club shop made me smile although I assume the profits from these items go to our club?

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]But surely this Danny Dyer football dvd has the same problems and is selling for a mere £5.99???[/quote]I see a couple of possibilities - the potential market of the Dyer DVD is far greater than that of NCFC, so economies of scale dictate it can be sold cheaper. OR, it''s crap and in the bargain bucket, in which case the wholesaler/retailer may be selling at a loss?

[/quote]These things tend to be a combination of new and old (pre-used aka re-hashed) clips to spread the licensing costs.Danny Dyer will be cheaper per min than the licensing fees so the more talking he does the cheaper it is to produce.{Having played the trailer on Arthurs link I''m now wondering whether they''ve re-hashed a DannyDyer commentary from a hooligan film, they''re doing what on the terraces exactly?[:O] is that Greeno falling over?}

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Glad I amused you CA, sadly I didnt get a copy...bugger!!![/quote]

Most newsagents still have unsold copies in the mornings but pm me if you want me to send it to you.

Arthur its quitye interesting that when someone with industry experience produces figures that back you up you deicde this wins the arguemnts yet when someone else with the same experience disagrees you ignore them?

Someone agreed with me with industry experience saying how cheap they were to make. Someone else with industry eperience disagreed and said they cost a little more and that I was wrong, however the person argumeing against me with indutsry experience admitted that the club are probabaly making a £15 profit on the relegation dvd.

So if both people with industry experience arguing for and against me admit we are making a £15 profit surely thats that is it not?

If those against my argument that the club makes too much of a profit off loyal fans for a poxy releegation dvd admit they are making £15 profit, surely thats admitting that I am right......or what would you suggest?

Just thort Id get involved in This debate =]

On the comparison To Danny Dyers DVD, It cant fairly be Done. Danny Dyers DVD will Appeal To Football Fans all Over the Country Where as a Norwich DVD will, as In the Name, solely appeal To Norwich fans, Therfore meaning it well sell a lot lot less. The Price is then Worked On the Maker not losing any Money and Making a Profit, Danny Dyers DVD will sell More so They Dont need a High price to make a decent profit whereas the norwich dvd will sell few Copies so it needs a high price to make a decent profit. A totaly unfair comparison at least look at another ''football'' clubs DVD with a Similar fan base.

its No different to a City Shirt being 40, a Man U shirt being 30 and a England shirt being 25. A shirt cost the same to make but the higher the demand the cheaper they are its just how some things work.

And on the mascots, Yes the price is high but its obviously not to high because its been such a success, i mean some games weve had like 15 mascots, if we were to reduce the price to 50 we''d get like 100 lol, obviously the clubs set the price right because theres such a demand, if we were to do as most clubs do and have One mascot many of our Younger fans will never be able to run out on The carrow road pitch. i think this was a great idea making money and making little lads dreams come true and Most probaly making these boys city till they die

Ok fair point on the Danny Dyer dvd.

What about my point on the Norfolk History dvds I purchase which cost no more than £4.99???

Surely the Norfolk History and NCFC relegation dvd are both of limited intrest???