Sign in to follow this  
Arthur Whittle

NCFC Club Shop - Division 3 Club With Premiership Prices!!!

Nutty yet again you have skipped a straight question.....are you a politician or Neil Doncaster in disguise perhaps?

Sorry I forgot, we must all answer your questions but low and behold we dare ask you one.....

Wiz, dvds of Norfolk history that I have purchased are of "limited appeal" and cost no more than £4.99......you cant hide history wiz nor should you even try!!!

Arthur Im a daft racist pensioner Whittle said: Wiz, you baffle me, you think £18 for a relegation dvd is good value? You chop and change more than a chopy changey thing

Yes, because I said it was a limited appeal dvd.....................and they''re never cheap, you can''t hide history Arthur.........nor should you even try!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Arthur Ive gotta hangover Whittle"]Nutty even though I was very drunk and dont even understand half the messages I left last night, you still skipped the issue of how can a League One club justify £200 for a matchday mascot....c''mon mate, im waiting.[/quote]

V

Go compare Arthur.

Now how do they justify it?

I have no idea. I would think if it''s sold out then it''s justified. If there''s a waiting list then it could be too cheap?

How do I justify it? Well I don''t have to. I won''t be having a go either. With five grandchildren and my sense of fairness it would cost me a grand which is too much for my modest Marlpit budget.

Out of interest, which Prem clubs are free and what do the kids get? I could be tempted to jump ship to give the kids a treat.

Happy New Year Shandy Boy[H]

[/quote]

I thought I did answer...

Was there another question?

Wiz read my reply to your message which you deemed so important you posted it word for word twice....my reply page 5 of this thread.

Nutty you are a pig posh sod with plums in your mouth and the plums have mutated and they have got beaks!!!

"Nutty even though I was very drunk and dont even understand half the

messages I left last night, you still skipped the issue of how can a

League One club justify £200 for a matchday mascot....c''mon mate, im

waiting."Its been said many times already so im presuming your just going to carry on ignoring it. But supply and demand. I very rarely go to watch football these days as it costs too much. Norwich charge over £20 for most matches, justified? Well yes because we sell practically all of our tickets. Are other clubs who charge over £20 but only sell half their ground justified? Not really. But when you throw in the cancer of current football - Paying players a wage that isnt sustainable to a clubs income - then that has to justify it.As for your point about mascots, I would think £200 isnt a bad deal dependent on whats thrown in. If nowt is thrown in then its overpriced, if you get some shirts/dvd''s/tickets/meeting players etc then I would think thats worth it. But again its supply and demand, presumably they could charge more if they wanted too. Not entirely sure the point your trying to get at is. If we charged nothing then you would be up in arms saying how we are broke and its outrageous we are giving out free gifts. Either way have a happy new year. But next time you have had a beer or two, Im sure you have far better things to be doing, or far better places to be, than on the pinkun message board.

Treent although you have made some good points unlike Mr question dodger, if you read through this entire thread the questions you ask of me have already been answered once and im not going to answer them over again, eg I would be complaining that we were giving away stuff for free was asked by Mister Chops and answered duely by myself, have aread through mate and get back to me, because you are the 1st person on this thread to make a constructive argument.

Couldn''t agree more. DVD''s especially are a complete rip off. A dvd

costs 15p to manufacture (includes case, wrapping and inserts) - NCFC

would have bought from the distributor for no more than £2.50/£3. If

the club went directly to the manufacturer they would have bought the

DVD for about 60p - 80p. To charge £18 is totally disgusting.

I reckon Arthur''s "on it" again already.

Now I just promised my five grandkids a go at being mascot at Old Trafford so I hope they''re one of the Prem Clubs who are free. Young Ryan is looking forward to running out with Wayne Rooney while Liam can''t wait to impress Ryan Giggs with his keepy-uppy''s. I''ve already upset Chloe because she didn''t realise Ronaldo has moved on. Ebony and Layla are happy to wait a couple of seasons because the shirts don''t fit yet.

Nutty did you conviently miss this post....

Couldn''t agree more. DVD''s especially are a complete rip off. A dvd costs 15p to manufacture (includes case, wrapping and inserts) - NCFC would have bought from the distributor for no more than £2.50/£3. If the club went directly to the manufacturer they would have bought the DVD for about 60p - 80p.

To charge £18 is totally disgusting.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

Arthur Im a daft racist pensioner Whittle said: Wiz, you baffle me, you think £18 for a relegation dvd is good value? You chop and change more than a chopy changey thing

Yes, because I said it was a limited appeal dvd.....................and they''re never cheap, you can''t hide history Arthur.........nor should you even try!

[/quote]limited appeal..........yes, in other words a small market. That has no bearing on the value or cost of the DVD to make - the DVD has no memory or knowledge....it''s plastic, it''s cost what it costs. NCFC will have ordered a certain amount to manufacture and buy. If it''s say 5000 copies then NCFC would have bought them for 15K max......selling them to fans for a total of 90k.  It''s not like it was a great collectors piece........................it was relegation ffs.

Not sure whos arguement this helps out, but im living in reading at the moment, about 20 miles away from wycombe. Ive literally just decided to go to the game today, as student tickets are only 11 quid. They have Free park and ride, with petrol coming in at around 4 quid. So the whole day out for around £15. The only other match ive been to this season (Home v Huddersfield) it cost over 25 quid all things considered. Other home matches (When ive been in norwich) ive not gone too due to the cost.Now if Wycombe were charging 20 quid a ticket I would not go. However im assuming they dont sell many tickets, therefore have to charge this amount. Norwich can get away more expensive tickets as most other people in Norwich arent tight-assed students like me. Supply and demand.Again im not sure whos argument im helping with that as we are dicussing mascots not tickets, but either way Ive got a game to catch! Happy new year to all  [<:o)]

Trent my friend we are discussing all aspects of pricing at Carrow Road, from club shop to mascots etc, so your input is helpfull.

Nutty and wiz as Scotrock points out regardless of wheter its a limited viewing DVD the cost is the same...peanuts.

Wiz you reckon the relegation dvd was so expensive because it was of limited intrest, well so are my history of Norfolk dvds of which cost no more than £4.99...we cant change history wiz....nor should we try!!!

Arthur, are you familiar with the economic law of Supply and Demand?If you are, we need discuss this no longer.If you are not, google it, read it, and then think about it.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Arthur, are you familiar with the economic law of Supply and Demand?If you are, we need discuss this no longer.If you are not, google it, read it, and then think about it.[/quote]are you aware of the differences in supply and demand between an open and a closed marketplace (effectively as it''s unlikely any other supporters would buy our tat)?.......yes it''s about price elasticity. It still doesn''t change the fact that the DVD''s are overpriced especially when they are only going to be sold to their repeat customers.........financially challenged fans who spent thousands over the past few years and got nothing back.Google fairness.....you won''t see NCFC marketing and commercial enterprises anywhere.

[quote user="Scottlarock"][quote user="Mister Chops"]Arthur, are you familiar with the economic law of Supply and Demand?If you are, we need discuss this no longer.If you are not, google it, read it, and then think about it.[/quote]are you aware of the differences in supply and demand between an open and a closed marketplace (effectively as it''s unlikely any other supporters would buy our tat)?.......yes it''s about price elasticity. It still doesn''t change the fact that the DVD''s are overpriced especially when they are only going to be sold to their repeat customers.........financially challenged fans who spent thousands over the past few years and got nothing back.[/quote]But the law of supply and demand still applies.  If people didn''t buy the DVD for £18, the club would lower the prices.  If other clubs were selling them for £25, we''d probably do the same.  If you were to research other League One clubs for their DVD prices, you''d find (I''m sure) they are broadly similar.  Part of it will be production costs, because we''re not talking about Avatar here - we''re talking about a relatively small run, which incurs higher production costs per unit, which is passed on to the consumer.I also disagree with your assumption that "financially challenged fans who have spent thousands over the past few years" buy the DVDs.  What about people who live abroad or who, like Wiz, cannot attend many games?  The DVD is surely primarily for these markets. Though now BBC1 have Football League rights, perhaps this will impact on sales.And what do you mean, "got nothing back?"  You spend money on tickets to watch a football match, there is nothing tangible for you to take away.  Or do you mean because the team has been crap?  Wouldn''t argue with that, but that''s what being a supporter is, through thick and thin.  You invest money in the things you love.  I buy a season ticket each season.  I claimed my rebate back.  The club doesn''t owe me anything, I don''t owe them anything.  If I want to buy a DVD (I don''t) then I will, and if I can afford a season ticket or a match ticket or a night in the pub then I can afford a DVD of the club I support.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Scottlarock"][quote user="Mister Chops"]Arthur, are you familiar with the economic law of Supply and Demand?If you are, we need discuss this no longer.If you are not, google it, read it, and then think about it.[/quote]are you aware of the differences in supply and demand between an open and a closed marketplace (effectively as it''s unlikely any other supporters would buy our tat)?.......yes it''s about price elasticity. It still doesn''t change the fact that the DVD''s are overpriced especially when they are only going to be sold to their repeat customers.........financially challenged fans who spent thousands over the past few years and got nothing back.[/quote]But the law of supply and demand still applies.  If people didn''t buy the DVD for £18, the club would lower the prices.  If other clubs were selling them for £25, we''d probably do the same.  If you were to research other League One clubs for their DVD prices, you''d find (I''m sure) they are broadly similar.  Part of it will be production costs, because we''re not talking about Avatar here - we''re talking about a relatively small run, which incurs higher production costs per unit, which is passed on to the consumer.I also disagree with your assumption that "financially challenged fans who have spent thousands over the past few years" buy the DVDs.  What about people who live abroad or who, like Wiz, cannot attend many games?  The DVD is surely primarily for these markets. Though now BBC1 have Football League rights, perhaps this will impact on sales.And what do you mean, "got nothing back?"  You spend money on tickets to watch a football match, there is nothing tangible for you to take away.  Or do you mean because the team has been crap?  Wouldn''t argue with that, but that''s what being a supporter is, through thick and thin.  You invest money in the things you love.  I buy a season ticket each season.  I claimed my rebate back.  The club doesn''t owe me anything, I don''t owe them anything.  If I want to buy a DVD (I don''t) then I will, and if I can afford a season ticket or a match ticket or a night in the pub then I can afford a DVD of the club I support.[/quote]I never said S&D doesn''t apply - it just acts differently under these circumstances. Just because others may be selling for more or less money doesn''t mean to say we should do the same. Other clubs in our league haven''t suffered a relegation to our lowest league in 50 yrs. Consideration for the fans....if we are the best fans then treat us better than the rest....especially with our amazing support over recent times. The low run production costs aren''t that much more and in actual fact I costed it appropriately earlier in the thread - I used to work for the biggest DVD manufacturer in the world, in the finance dept.BBC didn''t have rights on last season but of course it''ll have impact......don''t expect that to be reflected in price in the land based club shop, based in Norwich that serves primarily the local community and maybe 3-6% foreign sales (outside Norfolk).Of course support is love for us and there is nothing really tangible......I felt however over the last few seasons (not this one) that I haven''t had anything at all in return.............managerial nouse, commitment, long term planning, passion, goals, clean sheets, success, defensive displays or fun. I wonder how you would have reacted if I had came up to you in the pub after the Charlton or Colchester game and said I''d just bought this relegation DVD for £18.

Arthur can I suggest that the next time you are at the market buying chips you ask them why you are paying £1.30(that''s a guess as I haven''t payed for chips since I was a kid) for 14p worth of potatoes and why the chips are so expensive in Norwich.

[quote user="IncH_HigH"]Arthur can I suggest that the next time you are at the market buying chips you ask them why you are paying £1.30(that''s a guess as I haven''t payed for chips since I was a kid) for 14p worth of potatoes and why the chips are so expensive in Norwich.[/quote]thats an excellent example............the chips cost roughly the same as DVD manufacture so how would you feel if you were asked for £18 for the bag of chips?Business needs to make profit at reasonable to good percentage................not an exorbitant one to fans that the club have already recognised are suffering hardship hence the freezing of season ticket prices etc etc.

[quote user="Scottlarock"][quote user="IncH_HigH"]Arthur can I suggest that the next time you are at the market buying chips you ask them why you are paying £1.30(that''s a guess as I haven''t payed for chips since I was a kid) for 14p worth of potatoes and why the chips are so expensive in Norwich.[/quote]thats an excellent example............the chips cost roughly the same as DVD manufacture so how would you feel if you were asked for £18 for the bag of chips?Business needs to make profit at reasonable to good percentage................not an exorbitant one to fans that the club have already recognised are suffering hardship hence the freezing of season ticket prices etc etc.

[/quote]What are you basing your DVD manufacturing costings on? I find it highly unlikely that a very small batch of DVDs would cost around 14p per unit.

I get my chips on the market free as they are good friends that i have known and been going to for years....a bit like NCFC...err maybe not...they would charge me £7.50 and expect me to bring my own fork!!!

Well done scottlarock you have well and truely won the argument that i drunkenly made a hash of. Nobody can disagree with you for you have spoken of facts and Nutty is noticable by his absence.

Scottlarock - my new best friend...DAN! DAN! DAN!

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="Scottlarock"][quote user="IncH_HigH"]Arthur can I suggest that the next time you are at the market buying chips you ask them why you are paying £1.30(that''s a guess as I haven''t payed for chips since I was a kid) for 14p worth of potatoes and why the chips are so expensive in Norwich.[/quote]thats an excellent example............the chips cost roughly the same as DVD manufacture so how would you feel if you were asked for £18 for the bag of chips?Business needs to make profit at reasonable to good percentage................not an exorbitant one to fans that the club have already recognised are suffering hardship hence the freezing of season ticket prices etc etc.

[/quote]What are you basing your DVD manufacturing costings on? I find it highly unlikely that a very small batch of DVDs would cost around 14p per unit.[/quote]the raw material cost, manufacture of disc (DVD 7), 4 colour print on disc, inc case (cheap one), inlay booklet and shrinkwrap on a run of 5000 will be 15 - 20p.There used to be a lot more set up cost to factor in but with the advent of digital media, editing software the cost of doing a master mirror would be a paltry £70 -£100. Costs are based on fact and 5 years experience. The mystery would be how much NCFC pay for them and whether they buy them direct from the manufacturer or a distributor.

Arthur, if you feel this strongly about the price of a DVD you feel is a rip-off relative to its cost then how do you feel about the price of alcohol relative to the huge margin that is added? Apparently, it doesn''t discourage you from consuming ample quantity. Is the labelling more attractive?

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Arthur, if you feel this strongly about the price of a DVD you feel is a rip-off relative to its cost then how do you feel about the price of alcohol relative to the huge margin that is added? Apparently, it doesn''t discourage you from consuming ample quantity. Is the labelling more attractive?[/quote]the margins for booze is way way less. In this country we pay a lot more than you guys do for music and dvd''s and for booze you fall over deals at supermarkets but pubs are closing every day.

[quote user="Arthur is a daft racist pensioner Whittle"]I get my chips on the market free as they are good friends that i have known and been going to for years....a bit like NCFC...err maybe not...they would charge me £7.50 and expect me to bring my own fork!!!

Well done scottlarock you have well and truely won the argument that i drunkenly made a hash of. Nobody can disagree with you for you have spoken of facts and Nutty is noticable by his absence.

Scottlarock
- my new best friend...DAN! DAN! DAN![/quote]No Arthur, nobody has won this argument.  Supply and demand has won the argument.  If the club prices DVDs at £18 and they sell them all, where is the incentive for them to charge less?  And if they can sell DVDs for £18 a pop, why should they charge less?  Do you want the club to make less income?Or perhaps you can show me where this argument has somehow been defeated.  We all agree that:a) It costs much less than the asking price to make a batch of DVDsb) The club will sell the DVDs at a price which enables them to make a healthy returnc) If the DVDs are priced too highly, sales will be lower than expected and the club will be left with unwanted stockYour argument seems to be that we should sell all merchandise on the cheap to help the poor.  There''s a place which does this, and it''s called the Salvation Army.  NCFC, like all other football clubs, is a business and not a charity.Is there something I''m not getting here?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Arthur is a daft racist pensioner Whittle"]I get my chips on the market free as they are good friends that i have known and been going to for years....a bit like NCFC...err maybe not...they would charge me £7.50 and expect me to bring my own fork!!!

Scottlarock
- my new best friend...DAN! DAN! DAN![/quote]Is there something I''m not getting here?[/quote]Yes. We''re doing quite well football-wise at the minute, so people still have to find some way to have a pop at the club (however pathetic it might be).

Final thought on the topic - The real villain here is modern football. Im all in favour of Norwich charging £200 for a mascot package as we need the money. We are £x in debt, and need the money. I would love for NCFC to be a profit-making business, and therefore able to give away the mascot duty to a winner of a lottery or something, but economically it does not make sense. Similarly the kids for a quid deal is a good one, but I dont agree with it for games when we would have sold out the ground anyway, we lose out on valuable income. JPT/CC/FA cup then go ahead with kids for a quid, but not when we could sell out the ground with full-paying adults and kids.Frankly I think football is going to struggle in the next decade. HMRC seem to be putting more pressure on clubs these days, we have seen Kings Lynn go down the toilet, and Coventry rugby club were shut down. I have a feeling the Taxman and the banks are sick and tired and football clubs running an unsustainable business. Players wages are too high for the income of a club, and unfortunaetly Norwich (As well as practically every other club) has to charge large amounts for tickets, shirts, merchandise and mascot packages. I think myself lucky I dont support someone like Arsenal who frankly I would never be able to afford to watch.If norwich were a healthy profit making business then charging £200 for a mascot package may be seen as unreasonable, however in our current financial situation I think its neccessary.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Arthur is a daft racist pensioner Whittle"]I get my chips on the market free as they are good friends that i have known and been going to for years....a bit like NCFC...err maybe not...they would charge me £7.50 and expect me to bring my own fork!!!

Scottlarock
- my new best friend...DAN! DAN! DAN![/quote]No Arthur, nobody has won this argument.  Supply and demand has won the argument.  If the club prices DVDs at £18 and they sell them all, where is the incentive for them to charge less?  And if they can sell DVDs for £18 a pop, why should they charge less?  Do you want the club to make less income?Or perhaps you can show me where this argument has somehow been defeated.  We all agree that:a) It costs much less than the asking price to make a batch of DVDsb) The club will sell the DVDs at a price which enables them to make a healthy returnc) If the DVDs are priced too highly, sales will be lower than expected and the club will be left with unwanted stockYour argument seems to be that we should sell all merchandise on the cheap to help the poor.  There''s a place which does this, and it''s called the Salvation Army.  NCFC, like all other football clubs, is a business and not a charity.Is there something I''m not getting here?[/quote]Supply and demand indeed prevails like the above in a free and competitive market.This argument is more about fairness of pricing from a club to its fans.So to debate this properly in reference to Mr Chops above post we''ll be able to analyse properly if the club are making a healthy and FAIR return at the right price if they sell out at RRP. If it gets discounted and is still available in coming seasons then Mr Chops you''ll have to accept that Mr Whittles observations may have substance. Yes?

There is a lot more to the making DVDs than just manufacturing them, so insinuating the mark-up is from 15p to 18 quid is disingenuous. Besides paying someone to edit the material, you likely have to pay for access to publishing rights, voice over narration, shooting the footage, studio time, and whatever other aspects the DVD has.  Music, credits, photography and so on.