Sign in to follow this  
Scot-e-dog

Jeff Stelling's Book

This may have already been discussed - if so, apologies.I was given Jeff Stelling''s book this christmas, which is all about Sky''s Soccer Saturday show.In the book he states that he and the panel stay in a London hotel every Friday, often frequented by teams about to play Chelsea or Fulham.  The chapter about the hotel is all about how the Soccer Saturday boys all got on really well and what and how much they could all drink.  In telling a story about Peter Reid he says that one night Reidy was up to 4:30 in the morning drinking with one particular manager, whose side went on to get beaten 6-0 by Fulham the next day.  He also says that, if he was a fan of that club, he would be angry over what happened at the hotel that night.This got me thinking........or could it be someone else who has been beaten 6-0 at Craven Cottage?

It would have to be Norwich City, but if it was the manager who stayed up and the players were in bed, I wouldn''t see that as a particular issue.  Now if Damian Francis and Dean Ashton were having pillow fights upstairs, that would give me cause for concern.

[quote user="canary cherub "]

Not sure about that, since we played Fulham on a Sunday not a Saturday . . .

[/quote]All of the games would have been on the Sunday though (last game of the season), so the programme would have been too.

[quote user="claud"][quote user="canary cherub "]

[/quote]

All of the games would have been on the Sunday though (last game of the season), so the programme would have been too.
[/quote]

A-ha!  Go to it Archant . . .

[quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="claud"][quote user="canary cherub "]

[/quote]

All of the games would have been on the Sunday though (last game of the season), so the programme would have been too.
[/quote]

[/quote]

PS.  On that day I''d just arrived outside Craven Cottage when the team coach pulled up and we cheered them off the bus.  I was struck by a very strange atmosphere among the players, it was a strong vibe that quite upset me actually.  They didn''t acknowledge us which was only to be expected, but instead of looking focused they looked sort of depressed or drained as though they had nothing to give.

I''d like to know if there''s anything in this Peter Reid story.

Just done a quick search on Soccerbase, and the only 6-0 win Fulham have had in the Prem since they were promoted was against us.However, the book doesn''t state whether it was Fulham or Chelsea - just that that particular hotel tends to be used by visiting teams playing one of those teams the next day. In recent years Chelsea have also won 6-0 at home, against Manchester City in October 2007.So it was either Nigel Worthington or Sven Goran Eriksson getting totally smashed the night before the game.Anyone know when Peter Reid was working on the show?

So Worthy got pissed. He''s gone up in my estimation ... I always thought him a bit staid and boring.

The odd drink didn''t effect Cloughie''s management skills and if our Nigel  had a secret propensity for this sort of behaviour, it didn''t stop him being our most successful manager since Mike Walker.  I wonder, did he share a drop with Sir Alex the night before that famous win?

Neither has he done badly since, despite all that exposure to black stout and pocheen.  

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

So Worthy got pissed. He''s gone up in my estimation ... I always thought him a bit staid and boring.

[/quote]I wish that when I got pissed that eleven other blokes suffered the hangover!

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]So it was either Nigel Worthington or Sven Goran Eriksson getting totally smashed the night before the game.[/quote]Eriksson was more likely to have a hotel room full of TV weathergirls to keep him, um, "up".

The odd drink didn''t effect Cloughie''s management skills and if our Nigel  had a secret propensity for this sort of behaviour, it didn''t stop him being our most successful manager since Mike Walker.  I wonder, did he share a drop with Sir Alex the night before that famous win?

Neither has he done badly since, despite all that exposure to black stout and pocheen.  

[/quote]

My Dad saw him and his wife in Fortnum and Masons last Christmas. The old man stopped and had a chat with him. Think F&M is based West London way? So he could well live near there in the City? Seems like a lot of speculation, and if it was the Manager not quite as bad, as if it was players doing Dentist chairs...or the like

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]

However, the book doesn''t state whether it was Fulham or Chelsea - just that that particular hotel tends to be used by visiting teams playing one of those teams the next day. In recent years Chelsea have also won 6-0 at home, against Manchester City in October 2007.

So it was either Nigel Worthington or Sven Goran Eriksson getting totally smashed the night before the game.

Anyone know when Peter Reid was working on the show?
[/quote]

According to Reid''s Wiki profile he became a regular on Sky''s "Saturday results programme" in 2007, having made occasional appearances before that.  He also has connections with Man City as he managed them for three years in the 1990s.  My money would be on Sven I think.

[quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="claud"][quote user="canary cherub "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

PS.  On that day I''d just arrived outside Craven Cottage when the team coach pulled up and we cheered them off the bus.  I was struck by a very strange atmosphere among the players, it was a strong vibe that quite upset me actually.  They didn''t acknowledge us which was only to be expected, but instead of looking focused they looked sort of depressed or drained as though they had nothing to give.

[/quote]

I completely agree with you on this. It was amazing that, after such a great run of performances and results, our players capitulated to an average Fulham side in front of 8,000 (?) Norwich fans when all that was needed was a draw. I remember thinking I was having a nightmare. This thread has made me wonder that maybe Worthington and the players thought they had done all the hard work and all they needed to do was turn up the next day. If our manager (if it was Worthy and not Erikkson) was drinking until 5.30 AM on the day of the match then you have to wonder what the players were up to !

[quote user="Panic Dem"][quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="claud"][quote user="canary cherub "]

[/quote]All of the games would have been on the Sunday though (last game of the season), so the programme would have been too.[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I completely agree with you on this. It was amazing that, after such a great run of performances and results, our players capitulated to an average Fulham side in front of 8,000 (?) Norwich fans when all that was needed was a draw. I remember thinking I was having a nightmare. This thread has made me wonder that maybe Worthington and the players thought they had done all the hard work and all they needed to do was turn up the next day. If our manager (if it was Worthy and not Erikkson) was drinking until 5.30 AM on the day of the match then you have to wonder what the players were up to !

[/quote]I guess it''s all water under the bridge now, but the wording in Stelling''s book does make you wonder.  I don''t know what legally we can quote from the book on forums like this, but his basic wording was that if, as a fan of the club, he knew what went on that night in the hotel, he would be pretty annoyed.  As Stelling is looking at this from the point of view of a football fan (which he is), there''s a clear implication there that what happened was likely to have impacted the performance the next day.  There''s also a subtleness in the wording that suggests it wasn''t just the manager involved (but that may just be me being uber-pessimistic).Mind you, if it was Man City, then who cares!

I couldnt give a monkeys either, if Worthy wants to stay up and drink with Peter Reid til 4.30am the night before a big match then fine, perhaps they were deep in conversation about the season we were having and what went wrong/right. Ive had many a long night drinking and talking, Worthy''s no different to all of us.Now the players should have been tucked up in bed before midnight of course, but judging by the performance against Fulham i doubt they were....

[/quote]Explains why he always saw a different game to us then!!

Given we played Fulham on a Sunday, I have a hard time believing it was us. Those who''ve mentioned Chelsea v Man City in 07/8 may be nearer the mark; but I don''t think it was that game either.My suspicion is Jeff recollected something wrongly. I don''t think the score was 6-0; I think it was 6-1. This game:http://www.soccerbase.com/results3.sd?gameid=477625West Brom''s manager? Bryan Robson, not exactly renowned for being a teetotaller. Oh, and an England teammate and more than likely pal of Peter Reid''s too.

[quote user="thebigfeller"]Given we played Fulham on a Sunday, I have a hard time believing it was us. Those who''ve mentioned Chelsea v Man City in 07/8 may be nearer the mark; but I don''t think it was that game either.

My suspicion is Jeff recollected something wrongly. I don''t think the score was 6-0; I think it was 6-1. This game:

http://www.soccerbase.com/results3.sd?gameid=477625

West Brom''s manager? Bryan Robson, not exactly renowned for being a teetotaller. Oh, and an England teammate and more than likely pal of Peter Reid''s too.
[/quote]

Robson and Reid are indeed good friends, I met them both at a dinner in Bangkok at the official opening of the Man Utd bar, at the time Reid was manager of Thailand. 

[/quote]

Your comments as regards Worthy are my thoughts exactly. I still see him as staid and boring and I just can''t imagine him getting hammered, especially the night before a crucial match1

I would go along with the score being 6-1 and it being Fulham beating Bryan Robsons WBA.

Bryan is known for the odd tipple or ten, added to that hes an arrogant dick and crap manager.