Sign in to follow this  
Iwan_09

RUSTY

I''m not a regular on here so apologies if someone has already had this rant...

It was blatently obvious on Saturday that Rusty just isn''t good enough. His position is, in my opinion, the most important in our system and i''m afraid he''s just not upto the standard. He can''t tackle, he gives the ball away and he is always out of position. We need him to just sit there, tackle and give the ball to our playmakers. When he doesn''t play well it has a bad effect on Wes, Lappo and puts pressure on the back four.

I can''t help but feel if Sammy Clingan was still with us we would be unbeatable in this league...

[quote user="Iwan_09"]

It was blatently obvious on Saturday that Rusty just isn''t good enough. His position is, in my opinion, the most important in our system and i''m afraid he''s just not upto the standard. He can''t tackle, he gives the ball away and he is always out of position. We need him to just sit there, tackle and give the ball to our playmakers. When he doesn''t play well it has a bad effect on Wes, Lappo and puts pressure on the back four.

I can''t help but feel if Sammy Clingan was still with us we would be unbeatable in this league...

[/quote]

He has done his job well in most of the games, do you regularly watch the games?
I do agree about Clingan though, i thought he was our best player last season, but that is life.  

Seen about half the games so far this season and I think he is very lucky to play as much as he does. Really think we need a tough guy brought in this month - a Paul Lambert if you will...

Saturday wasnt Russell''s best game but he has just came back from a knock....I''ll give him the benefit as he has been brilliant so far.

Also on sat, Wycombe played 5 in midfield. This didnt help his usually reliable, distibution.

[quote user="Iwan_09"]

Seen about half the games so far this season and I think he is very lucky to play as much as he does. Really think we need a tough guy brought in this month - a Paul Lambert if you will...

[/quote]Can''t agree I''m afraid. At this level he is highly effective, but I do agree he has been off the pace somewhat in the last few games. Having said that, Gill impressed me when he came on in our last home game. I happen to think CM is one of the last positions we need to strengthen at the moment.

[quote user="Iwan_09"]

[/quote]

And the prize for the most ridiculously wide of the mark post of 2010 goes to this laughable effort!

I don''t think that will be beaten?

You cannot be serious?!?

A game we dominated from start to finish, when Rusty has been a revelation in this league this season,  I think not

And watching the cup game at the weekend it was no suprise to see that the Cov goal was a good strike by Bell while Clingon once again was arriving late into his own box while the ball hit the back of his net,  something that happened all to frequently last season and is conspicuous in its absence this season.

We did well to get rid of the over rated clingan and I am glad we kept hold of/failed to sell Rusty despite my criticisms of him last season. 

sorry but i disagree also. he has been pure class in the defensive midfield role IMO. he breaks up attacks and can start up a good attack.i think that he has won us many points this year and i really hope hes here on feb the 1st.

Yes he can look lazy when he has lost the ball, and yes he sometimes misplaces a simple pass, but he is very good at breaking up play and starting our attacks. He has decent height which is handy and is a threat going forward. He also puts in that extra crunch in a tackle, he does not want to lose a 50:50. Much better than up front, although last time he scored 2 against Colchester from that position ;)

Sorry Iwan but Rusty for consistency is probably our best player this year. He is suited to this league ie a thug at times and nobody scares him. Also in this league the yellows and reds are not flashed so quickly.

If Lambert thought this surely he would be playing Hughes every possible game as he can spread the ballabout a bit. In fact I think Hughes is a better player than Clingon.

Look at the players that left last year - Bell Clingan Croft Bertrand ( although on loan ) is it any coincidence their new clubs are now struggling and lots of them are now not playing regular first team football.

Rusty has been excellent this season although i admit i have only seen him in home matches. Overall i think there is no doubt Clinghan is a better player but thats in the past now. Were in league 1 and Rusty is one of our most important players

Rusty, especially recently has been great...how can you possibley say, because of one sub-standard game, he should not be playing?

[quote user="Iwan_09"]

[/quote]

Whilst Clingan was clearly a more accomplished midfielder in the role I have to say that i couldn''t disagree more with your post. Russell has generally been excellent in that role this season and in most games has looked a class above any opposition midfielder. We would be in big trouble were we to lose him.

[quote user="Iwan_09"]

[/quote]what a complete knobhead, i thought this was one of those really really side splittingly ''funny'' joke threads that some people do, turns out your serious?Are you mental or have you just been to the one game all season? Russell has been a rock all season and been an integral part of our revival. He''s part of the strong spine we have, Forster, Doc, Russell, Wes and Holt. Along with Lappin and Smith he has been the catalyst to our upturn enabling Wes, Martin and Holt to flood forward so effectively.

To the OP: Russell is not my favourite player but he has been nothing less than excellent in most games. Clingan was a class above most of his team mates (being beaten by Croft to player of the year was laughable) but he was never going to play in League 1. Similarly or conversely, we were very lucky to hang on to Russell - not least because management at one time saw him (and Doherty) as a means of adding something back to the financial overdraft. I am relieved most on here (and Lambert) would disagree with you.You are right about one thing though: the diamond system does depend on someone good in Russell''s role. And the reason it has been so successful to date, might just be because.......

[quote user="Binky"]To the OP: Russell is not my favourite player but he has been nothing less than excellent in most games. Clingan was a class above most of his team mates (being beaten by Croft to player of the year was laughable) but he was never going to play in League 1. Similarly or conversely, we were very lucky to hang on to Russell - not least because management at one time saw him (and Doherty) as a means of adding something back to the financial overdraft. I am relieved most on here (and Lambert) would disagree with you.

You are right about one thing though: the diamond system does depend on someone good in Russell''s role. And the reason it has been so successful to date, might just be because.......
[/quote]

You omitted to mention that Hoolahan too was seen ny the Board as a cash converter along with the Doc and Russell.All three were selected to be sold but no one came in with the right offer. Sorry to be repetitive but it was Gunn who strongly objected to this plan and, by consequence, made "enemies (an enemy) in high places" and of course the 7-1 hiding on the opening day of the season was just the excuse needed to get rid of him. This isn''t a pro-Gunn crusade as the Gunn episode is now past history and Lambert is undeniably doing a great job after an initial period of uncertainty and settlement.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

We did well to get rid of the over rated clingan and I am glad we kept hold of/failed to sell Rusty despite my criticisms of him last season. 

[/quote]

This I totally agree with. I was a huge critic of our midfield last season Rusty included. In fact, when he could be bothered I thought Fotheringham was the best of a bad bunch. Trouble with him was he couldn''t be bothered very often and I was as glad as anyone to see the back of him. The thing with Sammy Clingan was that he looked the part on the ball. Quite a stylish player when tackling back or with the ball at his feet,. But far too often he left the defence totally exposed. But we never seem to notice what players don''t do.

I''ve never been a big fan of Rusty, but I have to say that this season he has been excellent and has been a huge part of the resurgence since Lambert took over. He''s absolutely bossed the midfield in some games and has given Hoolahan the freedom to do his own thing further forward. Clingan was terrific last season but, understandably, jumped ship and we have to move on. Give Rusty some credit for really sharpening his game when we needed it most.

I Feel That Russell Has Been Very Good This Season, Much Better Than Previous Seasons. I Think He Plays Well In The Role Lambert Has Given Him. It Would Be Interesting To See If Any Other Player Can Put In A Decent Performance In Place Of Rusty, But Why Replace Him When He Is Playing Well; Lambert Obviously Thinks So Anyway [Y]

For me Darel is one of the key performers in our side this year and with Lamberts knowledge & experience of the defensive midfield role has allowed our 3 at the top of the pitch be so productive. He is there to win the ball & protect the back 4 & keep it simple and to that effect he has been outstanding since reclaiming his rightful place in the side!. And to think Gunny wanted to let him go, manager my a@se!

[quote user="Iwan_09"]

[/quote]

Have you actually been to a game this season ?!?!

Has had a good season and ideal player to play just in front of the centre backs. Strong in the tackle and makes several positive bursts to set up attacks.

Always thought Clingan was overrated. When in possession tended to play the easy ball square across the pitch and then did not get into the box enough for me. Maybe Lambert/Culverhouse might have sorted him out- but not as good as Rusty on this year''s form - and yes I know we are in a lower division !!!

My votes for Rusty, he''s been my man of the match on many an occasions.

True he has ''gone off the boil'' over the last couple of games but I''m sure he will bounce back