Sign in to follow this  
gissing canary

Contract Expiries

Just wondering how everyone at the clubs contracts are looking now.I think it is something like this?  I could be wrong on some - not sure about Wes?Martin is a must sign up ASAP if you ask me, Doherty and Russell have been useful, but doc in championship - not sure if a great idea again.  Rusty would sign probably on condition we got up.  Semi, and the others whos contracts end now?  scrap if you ask me.2010:Fraser ForsterGary DohertyJon OtsemeboorDareel RussellJamie CuretonPaul McVeighChris Martin2011:GK: Rudd, Michael Theo....Def: Drury - not sure about that one?  Wiggins, nelson, Askou, Spillane?Mid: Hughes - or did he get 3 years? Gill, OTJ, Whalley, LappinAtt: Holt? Cody, Wes?2012:SmithTom Adeyemi

[quote user="gissing canary"]Just wondering how everyone at the clubs contracts are looking now.I think it is something like this?  I could be wrong on some - not sure about Wes?Martin is a must sign up ASAP if you ask me, Doherty and Russell have been useful, but doc in championship - not sure if a great idea again.  Rusty would sign probably on condition we got up.  Semi, and the others whos contracts end now?  scrap if you ask me.2010:Fraser ForsterGary DohertyJon OtsemeboorDareel RussellJamie CuretonPaul McVeighChris Martin2011:GK: Rudd 3 Year contract? , Michael Theo 3 Year contract?....Def: Drury - not sure about that one?  Wiggins 3 Year contract?, nelson 2 Year contract?, Askou 2 Year contract signed last summer, Spillane Ends after next season?Mid: Hughes 3 Year contract? - or did he get 3 years? Gill 2 Year contract?, OTJ 3 Year contract?, Whalley 2 Year contract?, Lappin 2 Year contract signed last summerAtt: Holt? 3 With an optional 4th Cody Ends at the end of the season, Wes Ends next year, after having signed him on a 3 year contract?2012:SmithTom Adeyemi[/quote]Feel sure on the blues, not the oranges.

[quote user="gissing canary"]
Martin is a must sign up ASAP if you ask me, Doherty and Russell have been useful, but doc in championship - not sure if a great idea again.  [/quote]

Both Doc and Rusty would be a higher priority than Martin, for me.

Martin is a class Act, and will go on (as long as attitude remains has it has been this season) to be a very succesful footballer; and i just hope that is with Norwich. He''s not just a great finisher, but a very neat, clever player who hasn''t had the credit that his performances have deserved this season! Believe me it would cost more money than we have to find as good an all round player as Martin, and losing him would be a travesty.

Remember when he burst onto the scene 3 years ago, eveyone was talking about him; and not totally unsuprised when he was linked with Man utd, that player is now back and it''s about time he got the praise he deserved.

I agree Gissing, Russel is also a must; but Doherty is a proven liability in the Championship and i wouldn''t be anywhere near as gutted if he left if we got promoted...(though, i admit, this season he has done a bloody good joB!)

[quote user="GJP"]

Martin is a must sign up ASAP if you ask me, Doherty and Russell have been useful, but doc in championship - not sure if a great idea again.  [/quote]

[/quote]

There are some unbelievable comments on here sometimes, and this one is right up there with the best. A wind up surely?

[quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

You are completely insane.

[quote user="sgncfc"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

There are some unbelievable comments on here sometimes, and this one is right up there with the best. A wind up surely?

[/quote] 

And why is it, that this time of year everyone keeps on  harping on about contracts, when we all know that the contracts arn''t worth the bloody paper they are written on, If someone offers a bigger carrot they are gone

[quote user="pete_norw"][quote user="sgncfc"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="gissing canary"]Martin is a must sign up ASAP if you ask me, Doherty and Russell have been useful, but doc in championship - not sure if a great idea again.  [/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote] 

And why is it, that this time of year everyone keeps on  harping on about contracts, when we all know that the contracts arn''t worth the bloody paper they are written on, If someone offers a bigger carrot they are gone

[/quote]Well, no actually.If we have a player on contract then we can get a transfer fee (worth more than paper), also the player leaves on our terms, we have more control over which club they might end up at etc. It is vital we get our better players on new contracts before they are snapped up by other teams.

[quote user="sgncfc"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well I''d see it like this...

Doherty and Russell are both experienced and proven at Championship level. They may have been stuck with some poor managers and poor quality team mates around them but they are established performers there. To think otherwise would be a bit silly.

Chris Martin has got 7 League 1 goals this season. And the way some people go on about him you''d think he was Ronaldinho. I''ll say it again (as I''ve said many many other times) I think he''s a talented player but I''m not going to get carried away after a few games. If we get to the end of the season and he''s got 15-20 league goals you''d think fair enough, good season, no complaints. But we''re halfway through the season, he has 7 league goals and he''s still got it all to prove.

And look at it this way:
Gary Doherty is the best central defender at the club.
Darel Russell is the best holding midfielder at the club.
Is Chris Martin the best striker/goalscorer at the club? No.

Having said all that...assuming we get promoted (which I''m sure we will) I hope everyone who plays their part for us is rewarded and is given the opportunity to show it again next season.

Gary Doherty is the best central defender at the club.

No he isn''t, Askou is.

Darel Russell is the best holding midfielder at the club.

Yes, but he is the only holding midfielder.

[quote user="Holts Big Toe"]Gary Doherty is the best central defender at the club. No he isn''t, Askou is. Darel Russell is the best holding midfielder at the club. Yes, but he is the only holding midfielder.[/quote]

You don''t really think that, do you?

I like Askou but he''s not got the same quality as Doc. That''s been very obvious over recent months.

Aye, everyone who contributes deserves a chance to give it a shot at a higher level, and Martin is one of them. The thing is, there''s a reason that Man Utd''s alleged interest dropped. The player, like all players, has his flaws, and 7 goals in half a League One season is nothing spectacular for a striker. He''s contributed in other ways, which is good, but his passing and general teamwork leave a lot to be desired, and I think we have more pressing issues in tying down other key performers. I want to see him succeed, but to think he''s one of the divisions best strikers is silly. He''s not even Norwich''s.

I think we have a manager called Paul Lambert who is paid to make most of the calls you are discussing

I am prepared to have faith in him to make the right calls on footballing ability and financial considerations relating to contracts and who plays for this football club - in whatever division

The rest is hot air

Good luck to all windbags

No offense to those with medical conditions

[quote user="southstand"]I think we have a manager called Paul Lambert who is paid to make most of the calls you are discussing I am prepared to have faith in him to make the right calls on footballing ability and financial considerations relating to contracts and who plays for this football club - in whatever division The rest is hot air Good luck to all windbags No offense to those with medical conditions[/quote]

Yes, I think we all know that Paul Lambert calls the shots and I think we all trust him as well.

But people like talking about football and about their football club.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="sgncfc"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="gissing canary"]Martin is a must sign up ASAP if you ask me, Doherty and Russell have been useful, but doc in championship - not sure if a great idea again.  [/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well I''d see it like this...

Doherty and Russell are both experienced and proven at Championship level. They may have been stuck with some poor managers and poor quality team mates around them but they are established performers there. To think otherwise would be a bit silly.

Chris Martin has got 7 League 1 goals this season. And the way some people go on about him you''d think he was Ronaldinho. I''ll say it again (as I''ve said many many other times) I think he''s a talented player but I''m not going to get carried away after a few games. If we get to the end of the season and he''s got 15-20 league goals you''d think fair enough, good season, no complaints. But we''re halfway through the season, he has 7 league goals and he''s still got it all to prove.

And look at it this way:Gary Doherty is the best central defender at the club.Darel Russell is the best holding midfielder at the club. Is Chris Martin the best striker/goalscorer at the club? No.

Having said all that...assuming we get promoted (which I''m sure we will) I hope everyone who plays their part for us is rewarded and is given the opportunity to show it again next season.

[/quote]My point was not that we shouldnt sign Russell up, but that he is unlikely to agree until / if promotion is in the bag.Re: Martin, true only 7 in the league, but he is easier to sign up and what we dont want is a WBA or Nottingham Forest situation, where you are a league higher and trying to replace key players last year as well as add.Remember Notts Forest got promoted and lost clingan and commons and i think one more and then struggled.  Also WBA lost philips and gera, 2 key players and again struggled.I would rather have Martin as well as someone else, not instead of.As for Doc - been discussed enough on here - I like him as a guy and a decent player, but at top end of championship, i think his mistakes dont cut it.  Yes he is better than nelson and many of the other defenders who have been through Colney in recent years, but as Martins coloured boots dont make him ronaldinho, Doc being better than juan velasco and semi doesnt make him good enough for the higher end of the championship.

Any more thoughts on the subject of Chrissy Martin, GJP & Others..

Sign up Chris Martin quickly Messers lambert & mcnally. Super Chris is beginning to really prove to everyone what a good player he is, he has the potential to go a long way. I may be biased, but he''s definatly a more clinical finisher than Beckford who is supposedly the best thing since sliced bread, and closer to home (albeit a different style of player); if you compare him with Holty he''s the more natural finisher. Martin wouldnt look out of place in our championship (fingers crossed0 team next season...and maybe beyond!

[quote user="Huddy "]

Any more thoughts on the subject of Chrissy Martin, GJP & Others..

Sign up Chris Martin quickly Messers lambert & mcnally. Super Chris is beginning to really prove to everyone what a good player he is, he has the potential to go a long way. I may be biased, but he''s definatly a more clinical finisher than Beckford who is supposedly the best thing since sliced bread, and closer to home (albeit a different style of player); if you compare him with Holty he''s the more natural finisher. Martin wouldnt look out of place in our championship (fingers crossed0 team next season...and maybe beyond!

[/quote]

No change from me.

I''ve always thought Chris Martin is a good player. And what I''ve said before still applies

But you have to try and look at things in the big picture with a bit of sense and, unfortunately, when it comes to one of our own young players people tend to get carried away.

We''re just over halfway through the season. He now has 10 league goals, is it? In what is, basically, Division 3. As I''ve said before, he''s doing alright. But, at the same time, Real Madrid aren''t about to offer £30m for him because what he''s doing isn''t exactly sensational.

Look what happened last time Chris Martin scored a few goals for us. People were praising him up like there was no tomorrow, he got a nice contract and it went downhill, quick. While I don''t think that''d necessarily happen again I think it''s important to keep the guy hungry.

I don''t want to talk like this on a day that he''s done so well, but I won''t change my opinion either. Simply put, Rusty and Doc are more important to the team. That''s what I said before and I''ll say it again today.Chris Martin is playing well at the moment and he''s full value for his place in the team. I''m not going to criticise any player for no reason. But he''s not a ''complete striker'', he''s just a good one, and to think that he''s the cornerstone of this team or our future is moronic. As GJP put it above, the last time we got carried away with him he got one of the best contracts we''ve ever offered to a player of his age.Let''s keep it all in perspective. Good finisher, worth his place - but Doc and Rusty are much, much more vital.