Sign in to follow this  
Mook

Hucks the new Neville?

I am a great fan of Hucks the player, but I am always proud of the quiet dignity with which all concerned with Norwich city handle themselves. I hope this tendency to run your mouth off (ref needs shooting, Megson treats players like 15 year olds) is just a phase, otherwise we could be attracting the wrong kind of publicity, and this could affect our reputation.

Hucks is his own man on the pitch and off it, as we''ve seen this season. He signed when his agent suggested otherwise, putting a desire to play for a certain club before money. In fairness to the guy, he''d just finished playing 90 minutes and was angry that the foul hadn''t been given, and gave his honest response. His "15-year-old" comments were made after our ginger friend at WBA suggested that his move was down to money, and that he''d probably disrupt the squad at WBA (which, given reports of how bad morale is there, is quite an insult). I think we have to look at the context in which the quotes were given - he was angry about both, and rightly so. One thing I''ve learnt about Huckerby since he''s been here is that he''s totally honest. I don''t mind him being honest, so long as it doesn''t descend into a Warnock-style moan at everything that goes against him. But I''m sure it won''t.

Oh don''t get me wrong, I laughed my head off when I read his comments about Meggers. But too much spouting off and you start to get a name for yourself. It is refreshing to have an honest footballer, but sometimes talking too much can get you into situations you don''t want to be in. And that applies to the club as a whole, not just DH.

I think he has every right to defend himself, people have to be answerable for what they say there is adifference between moaning for the sake of it and defending your own reputation he is a god in my opionion

i think what he said about megson was fair enough,if money was not involved and magson rants to the press about how greedy huckerby is then hucks as every right to be rude about megson
what he said about the referee though was a bit excessive.maybe ok to say he was wrong,but not that he needs shooting.it said in the paper that he got a letter about it today from the fa

oh,and also,i would now put neville under the category ''thug'',but i certainly wouldnt put darren under that category. Does he head butt,lead strikes etc etc no.

I totally agree with Hucks being able to put the picture straight, the club must have given permission for him to do so. Megga mouth Megson was just trying to stir things up pre match, a lot of bull, he known for his spouting along the lines of colin from Sheffield Utd

I would like to add to this string in terms of attitude on the pitch itself. I am happy with what is said off it within reason - thats all part of the game these days and the media hype that goes with it. There''s always pressure for another quote or comment.

But on the pitch itself, I have to say that sometimes I think Hucks is his own worst enemy. He does seem to give the ref his view on everything, whether he was personally involved or not. Now I don''t know what he''s saying but I do think that constantly haranging the officials does no good - more likely it counts against you in marginal cases.

Yes, the quiet dignifdied approach does work best -eg Holt, Drury, in fact most of the team. When something that is out of order happens then I believe the ref is far more likely to take note.

Perhaps thats why Hucks frequently misses out on some good looking shouts including penalties.

Ever watched Alan Shearer giving the ref earache for 90 minutes? Hucks doesn''t do it in a confrontational or aggressive way, I think it''s just part of being very involved in the game. And what he thinks about Megson''s coaching methods gives an insight into how NW got DH hooked on City - treating players as professionals and giving them enough rope and letting them hang themselves if they want to (e.g. Marshall, Rivers and others). And I don''t mean that literally Cityangel....

Whatever magic man vcares to say off the pitch, he has every right to voice his opinion and ought to be duty bound to speak the truth and right any wrongs, but you cannot argue Huckerby does his best talking on the pitch and certainly what he says there is far better than we have heard for many a year.

Get off his back.

Hucks had every right to give the ginger git some verbal ! , I would have given him something else if the git had said that about me !! .

One aspect of this debate about Hucks being over vociferous during matches should be mentioned , and this is antagonism ! , because of his pace you will see " defenders " constantly trying to kick the legs from under him , and its clear that some managers have given them instructions to do just that ! , and , just like in the last match , refs, more often than not , turn a blind eye to this .......... its a credit to Hucks agility thats he`s escaped injury so far , but if these refs continue to ignore whats going on in front of their eyes , then you cant blame Hucks for giving the useless gits some verbal , a broken leg often means a career finished ..................................................................... :o(