Sign in to follow this  

[quote user="Good Evening Neil"]forgot to add my view too!i wouldn''t because of the way he has turned us around, got us playing and just installed belief. Whether he would leave or not is another question[/quote]Yes, but it''s a matter of him sustaining or not sustaining that. If we happen to tail off and fall out of the play-offs i''m afraid we must at least put his position into question.It''s easy to say we''ll keep him on the back of such successes, like we did Gunn, and Roeder before him, and Grant before him... etc., but when their metal is put into question, and they fall short, i''m afraid we cannot just stay in limbo, and avoid making a significant decision.

[quote user="Big Bad John"][quote user="Good Evening Neil"]forgot to add my view too!i wouldn''t because of the way he has turned us around, got us playing and just installed belief. Whether he would leave or not is another question[/quote]Yes, but it''s a matter of him sustaining or not sustaining that. If we happen to tail off and fall out of the play-offs i''m afraid we must at least put his position into question.It''s easy to say we''ll keep him on the back of such successes, like we did Gunn, and Roeder before him, and Grant before him... etc., but when their metal is put into question, and they fall short, i''m afraid we cannot just stay in limbo, and avoid making a significant decision.[/quote]Are you serious? Lambert has worked wonders with what is very much NOT his squad. IMO he deserved 18-24 months at the very least, and we''ve seen that sacking our managers, all the way back to Worthy, definitely doesn''t give us the stability we need to progress as a club. I honestly can''t believe we''re even having this conversation given the fact we''ve won 8 out of 10 league games (I *think*)!

[quote user="Good Evening Neil"]If we didnt get promoted, in my eyes a failure of a season, would you sack Paul Lambert for failing to get us back up into the championship?
[/quote]

no

If he failed to get us promoted this season I wouldn''t sack him after the way he''s turned us around and moved us from the bottom 4 to the top 4, but if we were still mid-table this time next season, I would wonder about whether it would happen.

[quote user="Big Bad John"][quote user="Good Evening Neil"]forgot to add my view too!
i wouldn''t because of the way he has turned us around, got us playing and just installed belief. Whether he would leave or not is another question
[/quote]

Yes, but it''s a matter of him sustaining or not sustaining that. If we happen to tail off and fall out of the play-offs i''m afraid we must at least put his position into question.

It''s easy to say we''ll keep him on the back of such successes, like we did Gunn, and Roeder before him, and Grant before him... etc., but when their metal is put into question, and they fall short, i''m afraid we cannot just stay in limbo, and avoid making a significant decision.
[/quote]

I agree, when Roeder took charge he worked wonders in his first season by keeping us up, next year was a different story!...

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="Big Bad John"][quote user="Good Evening Neil"]forgot to add my view too!i wouldn''t because of the way he has turned us around, got us playing and just installed belief. Whether he would leave or not is another question[/quote]Yes, but it''s a matter of him sustaining or not sustaining that. If we happen to tail off and fall out of the play-offs i''m afraid we must at least put his position into question.It''s easy to say we''ll keep him on the back of such successes, like we did Gunn, and Roeder before him, and Grant before him... etc., but when their metal is put into question, and they fall short, i''m afraid we cannot just stay in limbo, and avoid making a significant decision.[/quote]Are you serious? Lambert has worked wonders with what is very much NOT his squad. IMO he deserved 18-24 months at the very least, and we''ve seen that sacking our managers, all the way back to Worthy, definitely doesn''t give us the stability we need to progress as a club. I honestly can''t believe we''re even having this conversation given the fact we''ve won 8 out of 10 league games (I *think*)![/quote]And we have also not lost a league game at home since he''s come in

We''ve only lost two league games full stop since he''s been here. Two defeats out of 18 - both very narrow and unlucky away defeats against two of the better sides. Can''t argue with that really.

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="Big Bad John"][quote user="Good Evening Neil"]forgot to add my view too!i wouldn''t because of the way he has turned us around, got us playing and just installed belief. Whether he would leave or not is another question[/quote]Yes, but it''s a matter of him sustaining or not sustaining that. If we happen to tail off and fall out of the play-offs i''m afraid we must at least put his position into question.It''s easy to say we''ll keep him on the back of such successes, like we did Gunn, and Roeder before him, and Grant before him... etc., but when their metal is put into question, and they fall short, i''m afraid we cannot just stay in limbo, and avoid making a significant decision.[/quote]Are you serious? Lambert has worked wonders with what is very much NOT his squad. IMO he deserved 18-24 months at the very least, and we''ve seen that sacking our managers, all the way back to Worthy, definitely doesn''t give us the stability we need to progress as a club. I honestly can''t believe we''re even having this conversation given the fact we''ve won 8 out of 10 league games (I *think*)![/quote].... [8-)]I too think it''s a little odd to have this conversation on the back of such success. But just because he is currently succeeding in his role as manager, it does not give us reason to assume he will sustain this performance. Should it seemingly irrecoverably decline, then we have to consider our options, regardless of previous accolades and successes.I only said it should be put into question should the worst happen this season, by no means did i imply that any failiure should only result in his immediate sacking.Giving him time, on the basis of at least the relative ascendancy of the club, is ideal. But as far as sacking him is concerned there are a lot of unfortunate examples that are plausible that could certainly test our conviction in this case.

Plenty of "decent" sides before us have come into this division and taken more than one season to get out of it (plenty more have stayed here!) - Sheff Wed, Forest and Leeds are but 3.

It would be disappointing but far from a failure if we didn''t manage it. The one huge issue then would be whether our finances would allow us to remain as one of the bigger/better sides the following season...