Sign in to follow this  
Matt Juler

We may f'ing love Grant Holt, but...

he needs to stop going down so bloody easily. He''d made a meal out of so many challenges last night, I''m not surprised the referee didn''t take any action when he was shoved over right at the death.

[quote user="Captain Holt"]He''s a forward. Everyone does it. Rooney on saturday is a prime example.[/quote]

Funny how the media layed into Ngog and Eduardo for days after their dives earlier this season but virtually nothing has been said about Rooney.

English. Players. Do. Not. Dive. [:|][:|]

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="Captain Holt"]He''s a forward. Everyone does it. Rooney on saturday is a prime example.[/quote]

Funny how the media layed into Ngog and Eduardo for days after their dives earlier this season but virtually nothing has been said about Rooney.

English. Players. Do. Not. Dive. [:|][:|]

[/quote]

Interesting piece in the Guardian about that very thing

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/dec/15/england-football-diving-bigotry-hypocrisy

[quote user="Largey"]

be honest though come on.....have you ever seen Gerrard dive?

of course not.....

[/quote]Add Andrew Johnson to that list, another proud Englishmen who would never dive...

[quote user="Largey"]

be honest though come on.....have you ever seen Gerrard dive?

of course not.....

[/quote]

I hope theres some sarcasm there!

We may f''ing love Grant Holt, but...

You thought you''d make a ridiculous thread to give him a little bit of criticism anyway?

Bit like your half-time thread about Wes Hoolahan the other day.

What makes me love Holt almost as much as his goal scoring ability is his ability to wind up the opposition and their fans.

For example him looking at the Southampton fans after scoring his pen or his Paulton celebration.

[quote user="Lambo"]What makes me love Holt almost as much as his goal scoring ability is his ability to wind up the opposition and their fans.

For example him looking at the Southampton fans after scoring his pen or his Paulton celebration.[/quote]Agreed, that''s one of the reasons Huckerby became such a cult hero so quickly, opposition fans hated him.

Thats why I''ve always kinda secretly hoped we''d sign Robbie Savage too... someone who you''d despise if he was against you but you''d love to have on your team.

[quote user="GJP"]

You thought you''d make a ridiculous thread to give him a little bit of criticism anyway?

[/quote]

I don''t think it is a ridiculous thread at all.

In the 93rd minute, I thought Grant Holt was fouled and we should have had a free kick from the incident. We didn''t get the decision and regardless of whether the ref warranted Lambert''s assessment of his performance City needed all eleven to play on for the last minute of the game.

But after the incident Holt stayed down on the floor holding his face when the ball went off for a throw or goal kick. I don''t think Holt was hurt badly. If he was a bit hurt the injury didn''t warrant him laying on the ground motionless whilst the ball was being played up the pitch.

If Holt had got up sooner we may have been able to delay Southampton getting the ball up the pitch or had another body in the box to defend the inevitable long punt that was about to be launched in. Maybe not. Who knows, but it would have given City a better chance of not conceding the late goal.

Yes Holt is our captain and leading scorer and a hero to us all, but that doesn''t stop him being immune from criticism, and in this case he was very very poor. He should have got up immediately, dusted off his bruised ego and defended from the front.

He didn''t.

[quote user="Tim Allman"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

I don''t think it is a ridiculous thread at all.

In the 93rd minute, I thought Grant Holt was fouled and we should have had a free kick from the incident. We didn''t get the decision and regardless of whether the ref warranted Lambert''s assessment of his performance City needed all eleven to play on for the last minute of the game.

But after the incident Holt stayed down on the floor holding his face when the ball went off for a throw or goal kick. I don''t think Holt was hurt badly. If he was a bit hurt the injury didn''t warrant him laying on the ground motionless whilst the ball was being played up the pitch.

If Holt had got up sooner we may have been able to delay Southampton getting the ball up the pitch or had another body in the box to defend the inevitable long punt that was about to be launched in. Maybe not. Who knows, but it would have given City a better chance of not conceding the late goal.

Yes Holt is our captain and leading scorer and a hero to us all, but that doesn''t stop him being immune from criticism, and in this case he was very very poor. He should have got up immediately, dusted off his bruised ego and defended from the front.

He didn''t.

[/quote]What on earth makes you think he wasn''t holding his face for a reason? For a player that spoken of time and time again for his commitment and energy all over the pitch, the one time he doesn''t do it, the one time he doesn''t track back and help out because he''s on the floor holding his face, we assume he''s got a bruised ego and that he was faking it?Thread of the year this.

I was listening on Radio Solent ( South sports radio to you thickies )And even the pro Saints comentators said that blame for the equaliser laid with Grant Holt who was off the pitch whinging when he should have been with his team defending the lead.Also for the record on diving Englishmen...Anyone remember when David Seamen and Robbie Fowler went for a 50-50 and Fowler was knocked flying.Ref gave a peno and Fowler was on his feet denying it was a peno shouting " I tripped I tripped " much to the fury of his then gaffer.The Fa then gave Fowler the fair play award or something.Just a shame that the next game he celebrated a goal by pretending to snort a line round near the corner flag !