Sign in to follow this  
Evening News Columnist - David Powles

David Powles' City View column - Have your say

Morning all,

Please read below this week''s column with my noughties Dream Team and Nightmare XI. Can you come up with a better or worse 11?

Believe me its much easier finding players for the nightmare team.

Cheers

Dave

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/Sport/FansEye/story.aspx?brand=ENOnline&category=FansEye&tBrand=ENOnline&tCategory=FansEye&itemid=NOED17%20Dec%202009%2017%3A54%3A16%3A087

Think the best is pretty much there but mine would be.  What strikes me most is that we have had some truly talented players at time,  but our centre backs have simply not been of the same standard.  And right midfield - simply not enough.

Green

Helveg  Malky  Jackson  Drury

Bentley   Francis  Parker  Huckerby

Ashton  Bellamy

Subs

Marshall,  Eddie, Doc, Safi  Holt, Crouch, Svennson

Roberts did a good job for us but is not in the same class as the 4 striker above, Croft I refuse to accept is good enough and would prefer to go 4-3-3 with safri on for Bentley and Hux behind the front 2 and steady eddie was just that - ok but simply not good enough for this team, and no coincidence that our best performances of the prem seasons came when Eddie was dropped.  Ditto Holt - a top servant and excellent at that job in the champs but in our best 11 footballers??

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Think the best is pretty much there but mine would be.  What strikes me most is that we have had some truly talented players at time,  but our centre backs have simply not been of the same standard.  And right midfield - simply not enough.

Green

Ashton  Bellamy

Subs

Roberts did a good job for us but is not in the same class as the 4 striker above, Croft I refuse to accept is good enough and would prefer to go 4-3-3 with safri on for Bentley and Hux behind the front 2 and steady eddie was just that - ok but simply not good enough for this team, and no coincidence that our best performances of the prem seasons came when Eddie was dropped.  Ditto Holt - a top servant and excellent at that job in the champs but in our best 11 footballers??

[/quote]

Think I might have had Crouch in front of Ashton, particularly because of the way he gelled with Hucks....otherwise would largely agree.

I think it was a bit blurred to be honest David,When I read your team, some of them i agreed with, namely the players who contributed a lot to the team despite not being great technically, then i saw a player like Parker in the middle and that confused me as to whether you were looking at players with a telling contribution or the most technically gifted players we have had play for us...on the basis of those who made a contribution whilst being technically gifted ive gone for:greennedergaardmalkayflemingbertrand ( better doesnt spring to mind and drury is *)bentleySafrifrancisHuckerbyAshtonRobertsbench: marshall (d), edworthy, holt, svensson, crouch, lita, ( kennedy technically brilliant but crocked, same with davenport) so....jackson.

[quote] Gary Holt - Just like with Mackay, we never really replaced ''Two Lungs'' and it was to our cost.[/quote]I think you missed a lung.I agree with some of the other posters- Gibbs and Parker should be in on ability but not their contribution to NCFC. I think dream teams should be comprised of ''proper'' signings. Also- if we are talking about ability how on earth does Croft get in ahead of Bentley?

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Green

Ashton  Bellamy

Subs

[/quote]

how Jackson gets in ahead of Flemmo is a travesty!