Sign in to follow this  
ellis206

Michael Nelson today

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Wouldn''t say Nelson was terrible. But he did have a few silly moments. He got in some important headers and cleared his lines generally okay - except that one in the first half where he was robbed and the bizarre one in the second half where he tried to set them on the attack again.He''s not a great player but some people''s criticism is a bit OTT.[/quote]I agree, which is why my description of him today is "Didn''t have a great game"People do get carried away sometimes, Otsemeboor seems to bear the brunt of it, or Doc if he''s on a bad run. Crtiicism is fine but using phrases like "Worst city player ever" is just childish, people have very, very short memories![/quote]In a way, i think you''d struggle to find a football fan without either of those qualities (myself included).As a radio listener today, my view on the game is not neccessarily one worthy of being taken account of, and it''s unlikely that my view on Nelson would hold water against the views of others who did go to see the game, so it''s probably best i don''t bother divulging my particular interpretation of it. However, for what it''s worth, i am getting very tired of the phrase "boo boys". I feel, on most occasions, that it deprives many individuals of making valid objections to the current state of our squad, and almost immunises those that faulter in it from criticism. No one on here should be discoouged from making their perceptions on the game known on the basis of such a throw away phrase. It severely lacks contructivity, and cheaply undermines debate.

[quote user="Big Bad John"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Wouldn''t say Nelson was terrible. But he did have a few silly moments. He got in some important headers and cleared his lines generally okay - except that one in the first half where he was robbed and the bizarre one in the second half where he tried to set them on the attack again.He''s not a great player but some people''s criticism is a bit OTT.[/quote]I agree, which is why my description of him today is "Didn''t have a great game"People do get carried away sometimes, Otsemeboor seems to bear the brunt of it, or Doc if he''s on a bad run. Crtiicism is fine but using phrases like "Worst city player ever" is just childish, people have very, very short memories![/quote]In a way, i think you''d struggle to find a football fan without either of those qualities (myself included).As a radio listener today, my view on the game is not neccessarily one worthy of being taken account of, and it''s unlikely that my view on Nelson would hold water against the views of others who did go to see the game, so it''s probably best i don''t bother divulging my particular interpretation of it. However, for what it''s worth, i am getting very tired of the phrase "boo boys". I feel, on most occasions, that it deprives many individuals of making valid objections to the current state of our squad, and almost immunises those that faulter in it from criticism. No one on here should be discoouged from making their perceptions on the game known on the basis of such a throw away phrase. It severely lacks contructivity, and cheaply undermines debate.[/quote]What was the commentary team''s opinion on him today? I don''t think he is the worst city player ever, but I think if Huddersfield''s forwards had been on their game more today his mistakes could have cost a goal, and we know how a goal can sometimes change games.Cue someone using the argument that the forwards were kept quiet by our defenders, and thats the thing, theres two sides to every story, hence differing opinions.

Nelson is clearly not Lambert''s first choice, and in my opinion an average League One defender at best - but today he did what he is paid to do - he cleared his lines, kept the shape and put in some strong tackles and headers. If he does this every week and we concede no goals, then well done him.

ALL defenders (and players in general) make a mistake or give the ball away, at all levels. Just seems we have to moan about someone for the sake of it.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Gimme a break!

nelson was solid today, yes he worries me. But all he did wrong was slice one ball out and lose the ball on the halfway line....which he made amends for with a great tackle.

How many headers did he lose in the air? None.

Lay off the fella
[/quote]

Well said.

Unfortunately, as we know with some City fans, they make up their minds up about a player and if they don''t like him they''re only ever going to see bad performances.

[/quote]

A clean sheet against this mornings joint top scorers says all we want to know really.

Definitely need a CB signed in January, any further rumours about Grounds from Middlesborough? Askou and the Doc look solid together, similar to the Fleming-Mackay partnership we had a few years back. With Nelson in there, it looks like a completely different defence, argueably not as bad a player as he''s being made out and there have been a few crumbs of comfort supporting this, but i think he''s the wrong sort of player to be playing next to Askou/Doc. It almost seems like Nelson has never played with Doc before, there''s definitely a lack of communication and structure to our defence when Nelson is in there and i think that''s an essential factor with regards to defending.So he''s not necessarily an awful player but he''s definitely being made to look worse due to the way in which our squad is made up, i think Lambert will definitely be looking into bringing in a new CB in January, whether it be on loan or as a permanent signing.OTBC!

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Gimme a break!nelson was solid today, yes he worries me. But all he did wrong was slice one ball out and lose the ball on the halfway line....which he made amends for with a great tackle.How many headers did he lose in the air? None.Lay off the fella[/quote]

Well said.

Unfortunately, as we know with some City fans, they make up their minds up about a player and if they don''t like him they''re only ever going to see bad performances.

[/quote]

A clean sheet against this mornings joint top scorers says all we want to know really.

[/quote]Whilst I agree with what you say, can you really make a properly informed opinion on what Neil Adams tells you on the radio? Thats not some sort of personal dig by the way, more of an observation.I thought Huddersfield were awful up front today, they had very few shots on target. Whether you put that down to great defending or poor striking is, of course, a matter of opinion.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"]Hopefully Askou will be back on Boxing day cause Nelson seems to unsettle the Doc![/quote]As much as I agree that we need Askou back I don''t think Doc look too unsettled today.[/quote]

I meant by the Docs normal high standards he was struggling a bit defensively in the 1st half but then again so were all of them!

[/quote]Well I wouldn''t disagree with that. But I think that was more down to the fact our midfield was totally overwhelmed. We weren''t closing them down or putting pressure on them. So our defence got very little pressure. As you say, first half wasn''t great but I thought the defenders coped reasonably well considering.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="GJP"]

nelson was solid today, yes he worries me. But all he did wrong was slice one ball out and lose the ball on the halfway line....which he made amends for with a great tackle.

Lay off the fella
[/quote]

Well said.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Whilst I agree with what you say, can you really make a properly informed opinion on what Neil Adams tells you on the radio? Thats not some sort of personal dig by the way, more of an observation.

I thought Huddersfield were awful up front today, they had very few shots on target. Whether you put that down to great defending or poor striking is, of course, a matter of opinion.
[/quote]

That is irrelevent morty.

3-0 isn''t!

And that isn''t a dig either!

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="morty"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Gimme a break!nelson was solid today, yes he worries me. But all he did wrong was slice one ball out and lose the ball on the halfway line....which he made amends for with a great tackle.How many headers did he lose in the air? None.Lay off the fella[/quote]

Well said.

[/quote]

[/quote]Whilst I agree with what you say, can you really make a properly informed opinion on what Neil Adams tells you on the radio? Thats not some sort of personal dig by the way, more of an observation.I thought Huddersfield were awful up front today, they had very few shots on target. Whether you put that down to great defending or poor striking is, of course, a matter of opinion.[/quote]

3-0 isn''t!

[/quote]Of course its relevent! If you didn''t actually see something with your own eyes and were just told about it, then really its their opinion, not yours!

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"]Hopefully Askou will be back on Boxing day cause Nelson seems to unsettle the Doc![/quote]As much as I agree that we need Askou back I don''t think Doc look too unsettled today.[/quote]

I meant by the Docs normal high standards he was struggling a bit defensively in the 1st half but then again so were all of them!

[/quote]Well I wouldn''t disagree with that. But I think that was more down to the fact our midfield was totally overwhelmed. We weren''t closing them down or putting pressure on them. So our defence got very little pressure. As you say, first half wasn''t great but I thought the defenders coped reasonably well considering.[/quote]I think our main problem today was that, by design, a diamond is a very narrow way of playing. They got a lot of ball by stretching us widthwise, obviously Lambo tinkered enough to stretch it all a bit sideways at half time.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

[/quote]Well I wouldn''t disagree with that. But I think that was more down to the fact our midfield was totally overwhelmed. We weren''t closing them down or putting pressure on them. So our defence got very little protection. As you say, first half wasn''t great but I thought the defenders coped reasonably well considering.[/quote]Fixed...

if he had not have made up for a big mistake , it could have cost us dearly .. too slow he is not good enough , the doc have improved his game and covered his backside , not good enough nelson you make me nervous at the back , other than that great second half .

well done city , martin will be a good player at championship level .

[quote user="morty"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="morty"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="GJP"]

Lay off the fella
[/quote]

Well said.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Whilst I agree with what you say, can you really make a properly informed opinion on what Neil Adams tells you on the radio? Thats not some sort of personal dig by the way, more of an observation.

I thought Huddersfield were awful up front today, they had very few shots on target. Whether you put that down to great defending or poor striking is, of course, a matter of opinion.
[/quote]

3-0 isn''t!

[/quote]

Of course its relevent! If you didn''t actually see something with your own eyes and were just told about it, then really its their opinion, not yours!
[/quote]

So it was a bloody dig then...............thought as much!

But I''m still allowed an opinion, based on reports and others opinions...............or are they irrelevent too?

And your arrogance astounds me, as I may have just been there in the community stand (I wasn''t today btw) but no, you just assumed!

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="morty"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="morty"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="GJP"]

Well said.

[/quote]

[/quote]Whilst I agree with what you say, can you really make a properly informed opinion on what Neil Adams tells you on the radio? Thats not some sort of personal dig by the way, more of an observation.I thought Huddersfield were awful up front today, they had very few shots on target. Whether you put that down to great defending or poor striking is, of course, a matter of opinion.[/quote]

3-0 isn''t!

[/quote]Of course its relevent! If you didn''t actually see something with your own eyes and were just told about it, then really its their opinion, not yours![/quote]

So it was a bloody dig then...............thought as much!

But I''m still allowed an opinion, based on reports and others opinions...............or are they irrelevent too?

And your arrogance astounds me, as I may have just been there in the community stand (I wasn''t today btw) but no, you just assumed!

[/quote]Lol, calm down.[:D]

You''ve got to remember if not for Askou and Spillane being injured, I doubt Nelson would be in the side. For what it''s worth, I think he''s a solid enough centre half squad player.

I must have been at a different game to some of you then as I thought Nelson was very poor today, counted about 4 mistakes in a row from him in the first half, plus lost the ball a few times plus some of his passes weren''t too acurrate to say the least. He did improve a bit in the second half but was definately our weakest link at the back.

Hope Askou is back for Millwall and hope we get ourselves a decent centre half in January because imo Nelson just isnt up to League 1

Doc - I''m so proud of you, keep up the great work [:)]

Funny old game I though Nelson and Doc were very good today. Doc more so than Nelson, but at no point did I feel that Huddersfield were going to score. He gave the ball away once before half itme that put us under pressure, but he was good in the air, and did the right thing more often than not in keeping it simple and putting his boot through the ball. Huddersfield looked to move the ball out wide, so Nelson was not put under to much pressure in terms of being ran at but I thought he coped well. Askou is better but Nelson is fine as a back up.

[quote user="cityangel"]

I must have been at a different game to some of you then as I thought Nelson was very poor today, counted about 4 mistakes in a row from him in the first half, plus lost the ball a few times plus some of his passes weren''t too acurrate to say the least. He did improve a bit in the second half but was definately our weakest link at the back.

Hope Askou is back for Millwall and hope we get ourselves a decent centre half in January because imo Nelson just isnt up to League 1

[/quote]Agree with all of that! Maybe there is a strange parallel dimension where there was another City game played and he played well??

[quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

Totally agree CA.

I''m not looking for someone to have a go at. And those saying ''well we won 3-0'' are fooling yourselves, and those relying on the opinions of others are deceiving yourselves. Watch Nelsons next game closely His first 6 touches resulted in the ball going to the opposion 5 times, and this pattern continued virtually throughout the game. I know no one is perfect but the guy is poor and IS a liability.

[quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]You must have been at a different game. The game I was at saw us keep a clean sheet against the top scorers in the league (other than us). He couldn''t have been "very poor" could he?

[quote user="First Wazzock"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

Totally agree CA.

I''m not looking for someone to have a go at. And those saying ''well we won 3-0'' are fooling yourselves, and those relying on the opinions of others are deceiving yourselves. Watch Nelsons next game closely His first 6 touches resulted in the ball going to the opposion 5 times, and this pattern continued virtually throughout the game. I know no one is perfect but the guy is poor and IS a liability.

[/quote]

I couldn''t agree more.

The header out for a corner when under no pressure and Forster calling for it was a childish mistake as well as his passing being off more often then not. The lad is a liability and we need someone else in when the transfer window opens.

[quote user="cityangel"]

He did improve a bit in the second half but was definately our weakest link at the back.

hope we get ourselves a decent centre half in January because imo Nelson just isnt up to League 1

[/quote]

Firstly, I didn''t think Russell Martin was all that impressive. Looked more of a liability in the first half than Nelson, in my opinion.

Secondly, who are we (realistically) going to sign in January who is (and is proven to be) a better central defender than Nelson at this level to come and sit on the bench?

I think we might get Seaborne because he''s left sided and meant to be able to play centreback and fullback but I think Nelson is a pretty good player to have on the bench.

[quote user="cityangel"]

Hope Askou is back for Millwall[/quote]

He''ll have to be because Doherty now has 5 bookings and is suspended for Millwall (providing that dodgy card at Southampton the other night was for him).

[quote user="PBTC"][quote user="cityangel"]

Hope Askou is back for Millwall[/quote]

He''ll have to be because Doherty now has 5 bookings and is suspended for Millwall (providing that dodgy card at Southampton the other night was for him).

[/quote]Bad news indeed.

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]

The header out for a corner when under no pressure and Forster calling for it was a childish mistake

[/quote]

Childish mistake??

Bit harsh.

If you''re not sure then you deal with it. That''s like the most basic rule of defending.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Legend Iwan"]

The header out for a corner when under no pressure and Forster calling for it was a childish mistake

[/quote]

Childish mistake??

Bit harsh.

If you''re not sure then you deal with it. That''s like the most basic rule of defending.

[/quote]

He shouldn''t have been unsure with Forster just behind him shouting for it.

[quote user="Legend Iwan"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Legend Iwan"]

[/quote]

Childish mistake??

Bit harsh.

[/quote]

He shouldn''t have been unsure with Forster just behind him shouting for it.

[/quote]

Perhaps not. But he obviously wasn''t sure so he did the right thing.

We kept a clean sheet, yes, but it was not really because of Nelson''s contribution.  He has to be third or fourth choice centre back depending on how Lambert sees Spillane long-term (I guess Right Back).  There are too many poor passes, there is too much indecision.  Aerially he''s okay, but on the deck and particularly when he is turned, he is a complete liability.  Colchester''s 7-1 demolition alone proved this; though nobody emerged from that game with credit, he was one of the worst performers on the day.  Today again it was his passing and positioning, his lack of pace and his dithering and clumsiness with the ball at his feet that worries me.