Sign in to follow this  
ellis206

Michael Nelson today

[quote user="Mister Chops"]We kept a clean sheet, yes, but it was not really because of Nelson''s contribution.  He has to be third or fourth choice centre back depending on how Lambert sees Spillane long-term (I guess Right Back).  There are too many poor passes, there is too much indecision.  Aerially he''s okay, but on the deck and particularly when he is turned, he is a complete liability.  Colchester''s 7-1 demolition alone proved this; though nobody emerged from that game with credit, he was one of the worst performers on the day.  Today again it was his passing and positioning, his lack of pace and his dithering and clumsiness with the ball at his feet that worries me.[/quote]Well put, you saw the same game as me then.

[quote user="TheGoogler"][quote user="cityangel"]

I must have been at a different game to some of you then as I thought Nelson was very poor today, counted about 4 mistakes in a row from him in the first half, plus lost the ball a few times plus some of his passes weren''t too acurrate to say the least. He did improve a bit in the second half but was definately our weakest link at the back.

Hope Askou is back for Millwall and hope we get ourselves a decent centre half in January because imo Nelson just isnt up to League 1

Doc - I''m so proud of you, keep up the great work [:)]

[/quote]

You must have been at a different game. The game I was at saw us keep a clean sheet against the top scorers in the league (other than us). He couldn''t have been "very poor" could he?
[/quote]

Just because we kept a clean sheet  it doesn''t mean that someone couldn''t have had a poor game surely? Thought R Martin was pretty average first half too but not as bad as Nelson.

Hmm? Curo didn''t play..........no, we can''t pick on him.

Hmm? Semmy didn''t play......bugger, not him either.

Ah Nelson...............................Yeah, he''ll do![;)]

Nelson is a real old fashioned no nonsense stopper, unfortunately how we play means he received the ball quite a bit in the first half and is ill equipped with speed or ball control to deal with it. If he could just head it he would be fine and the rest of the side must have known it, but persisted in the first half in giving the ball to him in positions where he couldn''t cope. Also, Russell Martin didn''t seem to realise he had to mark the left winger in the first half and followed Doherty around  like he was his spaniel, leaving the Doc to frantically cover for both of them, and do his own job, in the first half.Second half we defended higher up the pitch and Hughes got stuck in on the right and Nelson and Martin, and therefore, Doc looked comfortable.   

He doesn''t seem to offer anything to the team other than reasonable aerial ability and the big hoof. Some worrying distribution and decision making today. I think that we look much weaker at the back without Askou who must be in line as a candidate for Player of the Season.

after watching the game today i have to say that i think nelson wasnt bad or wasnt good he did however help the team keep a clean sheet,

he was average but did a job none the less

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

Wizard you know that I don''t pick on different players but if you had of been at the game today I''m sure you would have been as disappointed with Nelson as many of us were today. He''s not anywhere as dependable or skilful as Askou and honestly doesn''t inspire you with confidence. I''ve nothing against him at all but in the few games he''s started this season he''s only had one decent game in my opinion.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]We kept a clean sheet, yes, but it was not really because of Nelson''s contribution.  He has to be third or fourth choice centre back depending on how Lambert sees Spillane long-term (I guess Right Back).  There are too many poor passes, there is too much indecision.  Aerially he''s okay, but on the deck and particularly when he is turned, he is a complete liability.  Colchester''s 7-1 demolition alone proved this; though nobody emerged from that game with credit, he was one of the worst performers on the day.  Today again it was his passing and positioning, his lack of pace and his dithering and clumsiness with the ball at his feet that worries me.

[/quote]

The whole team were poor in the first half, the back four were under a lot of pressure because the midfield wasn`t performing and we made a lot of mistakes in defence, Martin was caught on the ball and gave posession away in a dangerous position,we were exposed on the  left flank time after time, Doc made a couple of mistakes despite his recently aquired hero status, but IMO Nelson was exposed the most and made a lot of mistakes. Having said that Huddersfield who have scored loads of goals this season, including 2 at Leeds, didnt manage to get on the sheet so it`s a bit unfair to be singling one player out for stick. He is not a great player, we are in Div 3 remember so  for the time being he is probably just about good  enough as a second or third choice player.   

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

Wizard you know that I don''t pick on different players but if you had of been at the game today I''m sure you would have been as disappointed with Nelson as many of us were today. He''s not anywhere as dependable or skilful as Askou and honestly doesn''t inspire you with confidence. I''ve nothing against him at all but in the few games he''s started this season he''s only had one decent game in my opinion.

[/quote]

A typically controversial comment from someone watching the game through his radio.

As I said in an earlier post this is not a case of having someone to pick on, he is just not good enough and does not fill you with confidence.

I feel a little sorry for Nelson because he gives his all, and in terms of the purely destructive part of defending, does a pretty good job.Unfortunately he isn''tcomfrtable on the ball and can''t pass water, which means that he just doesn''t fit here.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]You forgot to mention that Doc played well....

The defence kept a clean sheet, so why attack Nelson? Doc has his share of bad moments.

[quote user="Dibs"]The defence kept a clean sheet, so why attack Nelson? Doc has his share of bad moments.[/quote]Because, as said earlier, Nelson was clearly the weakest part of the back four with several areas to cause concern.  Doc, who did make a couple of mistakes, has scored 4 goals in 3 games which goes a long way to redeeming any errors he might make - none of which today were as dodgy as Nelson''s "dithering and hoofing" approach.  If teams only attacked in the air, Nelson would be a decent centre back, but, like Askou, he needs to sort out his decision making and passing.

It was the Askou and Nelson partnership which started our turn around after the Colchester hammering.

Both Nelson and Doherty were shaky in the first half under pressure.  Huddersfield also had a cast iron penalty turned down when Doherty blatently shoved their centre forward - but great to have a rank bad decision go our way for a change.  It was Russell that held it all together in the first half - he was immense.

In the second half, we were under little pressure and both Nelson and Doherty played well.  To be fair Nelson hasn''t had a run of games to find his feet and is too early to judge.  Give the guy a chance and I''m sure he''ll soon cement his place alongside Askou. 

My view on Nelson is that I would never criticise him for not putting in the effort but he is extremely limited footballer by our clubs standard, even now we are at our lowest level for a couple of generations. Defensively he is no better than league 1 average and with the ball at his feel he is probably league 2 if not worse. He needs to not dwell on the ball and if needs be hoof it, as he is not capable of playing a good pass under pressure on a consistent basis. He will be a totally liability at Championship level. I have nothing against the bloke but he is not going to take us where we aim to go and needs to be replaced with a more talented central defender as cover.

[quote user="Flashman"]

Both Nelson and Doherty were shaky in the first half under pressure.  Huddersfield also had a cast iron penalty turned down when Doherty blatently shoved their centre forward - but great to have a rank bad decision go our way for a change.  It was Russell that held it all together in the first half - he was immense.

In the second half, we were under little pressure and both Nelson and Doherty played well.  To be fair Nelson hasn''t had a run of games to find his feet and is too early to judge.  Give the guy a chance and I''m sure he''ll soon cement his place alongside Askou. 

[/quote]

I see one of your posts made ''''quote of the week'''' in the EDP today,  said something about us needing a strong, dominant centre half to play with Askou if we want to get promoted.  You go on to say Lambert is well aware of this and you hope the right man is found.

Made me smile as think Lambert found a perfect partner for Askou weeks ago, he''s called the ginger Pele [:)]

[quote user="Flashman"]Yes, pleased to be famous. Ginger pele!  more like ginger plonker[/quote]

Think there''ll only be one plonker after the good people of Norfolk have read your quote in the EDP today!

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Gimme a break!

nelson was solid today, yes he worries me. But all he did wrong was slice one ball out and lose the ball on the halfway line....which he made amends for with a great tackle.

How many headers did he lose in the air? None.

Lay off the fella
[/quote]

I totally, concur....Nelson was ok.

He was truly awful;  clearly the weakest link on our defence and it affected the players around him.   He did improve in teh second half but only as we took the ascendency with Hughes shifting emphasis.

Nelson is the player that everyone thought (some still think) doc was.

[quote user="Flashman"]

Huddersfield also had a cast iron penalty turned down when Doherty blatently shoved their centre forward[/quote]

Interesting...  Another cast iron penalty that the ref didn''t see but our own fans did.  Boy, our Ginger Pele must be living a charmed life.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

He was truly awful;  clearly the weakest link on our defence and it affected the players around him.   He did improve in teh second half but only as we took the ascendency with Hughes shifting emphasis.

[/quote]

We saw the same game [:D]

Doc along with Rusty was man of the match yesterday and Nelson did ok despite a couple of dodgy moments but as a set of fans we really need to get behind a winning team a bit more (I include myself in this...). Hopefully Nelsons limitation will be worked on by our coaching team. As for M Russell not being better than Semmy.....LOL! Binner alert! :o)

[quote user="ellis206"]Was shocking, made some big mistakes and his distribution was Sunday League standard, and yet people still think we need to replace Doherty? what a joke!
[/quote] Clean sheet job done! Enough said!

I don''t rate Nelson at all, but I thought that yesterday was about the best I''ve seen him play. He won a lot of headers and only made one massive cock-up with the ball at his feet.He is a league one player, as many have said. If you want him to head the ball, he''s ok. If you want him to shell it into the stand, he''s ok. Anything more than that he is incapable of doing. If we were to go up, he''d have to be replaced. But as our fourth-choice centre back in this league, he''ll have to do.GJP, I agree that Russell Martin was a little dodgy today. Bit of dithering and getting caught in possession. But, in his defence, he does at least know roughly where to stand, which is an improvement on Semi. And I thought Martin was a little exposed by the ineffectiveness of Adeyemi in the first half.