Sign in to follow this  
ellis206

Michael Nelson today

Was shocking, made some big mistakes and his distribution was Sunday League standard, and yet people still think we need to replace Doherty? what a joke!

Just back from the match and I have to say I thought he was poor, he reminds me of the old Docherty, I am liking the new Docherty very much!!!

Thought Nelson did fine today. One bad mistake which he quickly made up for. Any criticism of his performance would be very harsh (and just plain wrong).

[quote user="GJP"]Thought Nelson did fine today. One bad mistake which he quickly made up for. Any criticism of his performance would be very harsh (and just plain wrong).[/quote]Aww, but the boo boys have identified a new target now Semmy has been dropped. Who else can we blame for every goal? Might we have to admit that sometimes a goal can be coincided without anyone being at fault? Surely not!

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="GJP"]Thought Nelson did fine today. One bad mistake which he quickly made up for. Any criticism of his performance would be very harsh (and just plain wrong).[/quote]Aww, but the boo boys have identified a new target now Semmy has been dropped. Who else can we blame for every goal? Might we have to admit that sometimes a goal can be coincided without anyone being at fault? Surely not!

[/quote]Did you go to the game?

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="GJP"]Thought Nelson did fine today. One bad mistake which he quickly made up for. Any criticism of his performance would be very harsh (and just plain wrong).[/quote]

Aww, but the boo boys have identified a new target now Semmy has been dropped. Who else can we blame for every goal? Might we have to admit that sometimes a goal can be coincided without anyone being at fault? Surely not!

[/quote]

Well this is it. I know I should slate Nelson for that performance because that''s what we do.

And actually, to say something really quite controversial, for all the hate of Otsemobor, I didn''t think what Russell Martin did out there today was an improvement.

Gimme a break!nelson was solid today, yes he worries me. But all he did wrong was slice one ball out and lose the ball on the halfway line....which he made amends for with a great tackle.How many headers did he lose in the air? None.Lay off the fella

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="GJP"]Thought Nelson did fine today. One bad mistake which he quickly made up for. Any criticism of his performance would be very harsh (and just plain wrong).[/quote]Aww, but the boo boys have identified a new target now Semmy has been dropped. Who else can we blame for every goal? Might we have to admit that sometimes a goal can be coincided without anyone being at fault? Surely not!

[/quote]Not at all a boo boy, I don''t rate Semmy (think he''s the worst right back I''ve seen in twenty years supporting city) and think Nelson will cost us many goals if he plays consistently, we need a competent centre back to replace Doc or Askou if they get injured. I''ve always rated the Doc, and I''m not one to jump on the bandwagon. Been to the majority of home and away games, and every time I''ve seen Nelson he''s been pants!

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Gimme a break!

nelson was solid today, yes he worries me. But all he did wrong was slice one ball out and lose the ball on the halfway line....which he made amends for with a great tackle.

How many headers did he lose in the air? None.

Lay off the fella
[/quote]

Well said.

Unfortunately, as we know with some City fans, they make up their minds up about a player and if they don''t like him they''re only ever going to see bad performances.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Gimme a break!nelson was solid today, yes he worries me. But all he did wrong was slice one ball out and lose the ball on the halfway line....which he made amends for with a great tackle.How many headers did he lose in the air? None.Lay off the fella[/quote]

Well said.

Unfortunately, as we know with some City fans, they make up their minds up about a player and if they don''t like him they''re only ever going to see bad performances.

[/quote]Some are clueless. He had a solid game today. Ask the Huddersfield forwards

Ah so if someone elses opinion is different to yours that makes them clueless?In my opinion he stood out today by his mistakes, yes no goals were conceded but I think we were extremely lucky as a whole team to go in even at half time.Yes, he wins headers, but theres a bit more to defending than just than heading a ball out of defence.And as for "boo boys" I think any true fan would rather have nothing to moan about, but anyone who pays their money has the right to voice their concerns. He made Docherty look like John Terry today, make of that phrase what you will!

[quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

Well this is it. I know I should slate Nelson for that performance because that''s what we do.

And actually, to say something really quite controversial, for all the hate of Otsemobor, I didn''t think what Russell Martin did out there today was an improvement.

[/quote]I couldn''t make the game today, sounded like Nelson didn''t have a bad game but was probably the worst if you had to pick one out of the back four. Just how it sounded to me.On a sidenote, my handicapped dog could do better than Semmy, so anyone is an improvement, Martin seems a good acquisition to me.

[quote user="morty"]Ah so if someone elses opinion is different to yours that makes them clueless?In my opinion he stood out today by his mistakes, yes no goals were conceded but I think we were extremely lucky as a whole team to go in even at half time.Yes, he wins headers, but theres a bit more to defending than just than heading a ball out of defence.And as for "boo boys" I think any true fan would rather have nothing to moan about, but anyone who pays their money has the right to voice their concerns. He made Docherty look like John Terry today, make of that phrase what you will![/quote]Can you be specific on his mistakes today please. I''ll give you one sliced out in the first half and losing in on the halfway line...but seriously what else.Yes he did win headers....if he didnt he would get stick for not doing it.The guy was no worse than anyone else today. Im not his biggest fan so all this criticism IMO is clueless.

[quote user="morty"] He made Docherty look like John Terry today, make of that phrase what you will![/quote]He made Doherty look like Bobby Moore.

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="morty"]Ah so if someone elses opinion is different to yours that makes them clueless?In my opinion he stood out today by his mistakes, yes no goals were conceded but I think we were extremely lucky as a whole team to go in even at half time.Yes, he wins headers, but theres a bit more to defending than just than heading a ball out of defence.And as for "boo boys" I think any true fan would rather have nothing to moan about, but anyone who pays their money has the right to voice their concerns. He made Docherty look like John Terry today, make of that phrase what you will![/quote]Can you be specific on his mistakes today please. I''ll give you one sliced out in the first half and losing in on the halfway line...but seriously what else.Yes he did win headers....if he didnt he would get stick for not doing it.The guy was no worse than anyone else today. Im not his biggest fan so all this criticism IMO is clueless.[/quote]And you''re entitled to your opinion. In my opinion I didn''t think he had a very good game.[:)]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="morty"] He made Docherty look like John Terry today, make of that phrase what you will![/quote]He made Doherty look like Bobby Moore.[/quote]In his heyday, or now?

Nelson today was abysmal.

Every ball he has to deal with gets hoofed the way he is facing. He constantly gives the ball away, even with the headers he wins.

Slow and sloppy play.

He is a big liability.

[quote user="First Wazzock"]

Nelson today was abysmal.

Every ball he has to deal with gets hoofed the way he is facing. He constantly gives the ball away, even with the headers he wins.

Slow and sloppy play.

He is a big liability.

[/quote]

Spot on....and I am not a BOO Boy, I have never booed a norwich player and never will, but he was a liability today

Wouldn''t say Nelson was terrible. But he did have a few silly moments. He got in some important headers and cleared his lines generally okay - except that one in the first half where he was robbed and the bizarre one in the second half where he tried to set them on the attack again.He''s not a great player but some people''s criticism is a bit OTT.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Wouldn''t say Nelson was terrible. But he did have a few silly moments. He got in some important headers and cleared his lines generally okay - except that one in the first half where he was robbed and the bizarre one in the second half where he tried to set them on the attack again.He''s not a great player but some people''s criticism is a bit OTT.[/quote]I agree, which is why my description of him today is "Didn''t have a great game"People do get carried away sometimes, Otsemeboor seems to bear the brunt of it, or Doc if he''s on a bad run. Crtiicism is fine but using phrases like "Worst city player ever" is just childish, people have very, very short memories!

[quote user="gcb...norwich"]Poor 1st half...much improved 2nd. Bit like the whole team really![/quote]

People who''ve seen Nelson play know what your going to get - A bloke who can be a reasonable stopper whos very limited football wise!

Thats why hes not a regular and has never played higher than this level!

Hopefully Askou will be back on Boxing day cause Nelson seems to unsettle the Doc!

[quote user="ellis206"]Was shocking, made some big mistakes and his distribution was Sunday League standard, and yet people still think we need to replace Doherty? what a joke!
[/quote]

Made a couple of mistakes first half but thought he was steady in the second, the doc was outstanding all game,

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]Hopefully Askou will be back on Boxing day cause Nelson seems to unsettle the Doc![/quote]As much as I agree that we need Askou back I don''t think Doc look too unsettled today.

He looked the weakest member of the back four, but you have to remember he''s not played a huge amount of football this season, and we were up against a team who have scored a lot of goals this season. Distribution was poor, and he lost the ball, nearly giving their attacker a free run on goal at one point in the first half. He was much improved in the second half, looked good in the air, and we kept a clean sheet, so he can''t have been that bad. The guy who sat next to me summed it up well - he''s a typical League One centre back.On the other hand, can you imagine how many people would be foaming at the mouth if Doc had put in the performance Nelson did today?

Nelson is a pretty poor player in all honesty. Hopefully Lambert can acquire another CB for cover in Jan.Today he looked rubbish. Has no skill or distribution at all, invites pressure, and average at basic defensive duties.On the other hand, the chants of ''There''s only 1 ginger pele'' for the Doc today sent a bit of a tingle down my back, he deserves some praise - he''s having an exceptional season since his comeback. Well done him. Hoolahan has hugely benefitted as well from Lamberts reign as manager - some quality passes from him today, and another great finish.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"]Hopefully Askou will be back on Boxing day cause Nelson seems to unsettle the Doc![/quote]
As much as I agree that we need Askou back I don''t think Doc look too unsettled today.
[/quote]

I meant by the Docs normal high standards he was struggling a bit defensively in the 1st half but then again so were all of them!

If we give up no goals, I can''t complain much about the defense, especially if they were getting the ball moving the other way well.  Doherty did get a dangerous yellow card foul on the edge of the area, so he was not perfect, but who''d have dreamt he''d turn into a scoring machine!?!?!