Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Hoolahan and Martin's goals ratios

They''re both pretty much 1 in 2 games this season, that''s incredible, how on earth did we let Martin go to Luton last season?They''ve both got 3 games less than holt under their belts, (24) so say martin got 6 more in the next 3 (i know it''s wishful thinking!) he''d have the same strike rate as the much lauded Holt! Given his young age, surely we should soon be looking at a 7 figure fee if we get promoted with his goals to games ratio from a non-central position. I don''t think we really need another striker to come in and disrupt things. Possibly a young target man on loan, just in case Holt gets injured.

I know I could get shot for this, but Holt and Hoolahan do often ''lay then on a plate'' for him. His one yesterday, his miss yesterday, both absouloute gems from Wes.

All part of being a goalscorer, he''s not even our penalty taker either. Yes he relys on a lot of good work from them two and others, but they also rely on him to make their teamwork into a goal, and that''s what he''s clearly doing enough of. All three over 20 goals in a McLean, Mackail-Smith, Boyd style trio would be brilliant.

[quote user="Brendan"]I know I could get shot for this, but Holt and Hoolahan do often ''lay then on a plate'' for him. His one yesterday, his miss yesterday, both absouloute gems from Wes.
[/quote]

He still has to be in the right place though.

[quote user="Quagmire"]

[quote user="Brendan"]I know I could get shot for this, but Holt and Hoolahan do often ''lay then on a plate'' for him. His one yesterday, his miss yesterday, both absouloute gems from Wes.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yer on the pitch does help alot, where do you come from ? there are 11 on the team they work for each other goals are set up in every team but I bet Curo would have missed that chance like Martin did, But Martin made amends and scored what looked like a hat trick in that match instead of his first, and why talk of price tags? they are not for sale,    

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]how on earth did we let Martin go to Luton last season?

Given his young age, surely we should soon be looking at a 7 figure fee if we get promoted [/quote]

Well obviously because his attitude wasn''t right and we were playing in a much better league last season. Glenn Roeder did the right thing on that one.

And are you saying 7 figures for Chris Martin?
Like I always say about him I think he''s a talented player but what''s he done? A few goals for Luton in L2 and a few goals for Norwich. How many league goals does he have in his career? Given his lack of real pace and that he''s not always the hardest working I think he''s a long way off people wanting to pay that kind of money for him.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]They''re both pretty much 1 in 2 games this season, that''s incredible, how on earth did we let Martin go to Luton last season?They''ve both got 3 games less than holt under their belts, (24) so say martin got 6 more in the next 3 (i know it''s wishful thinking!) he''d have the same strike rate as the much lauded Holt! Given his young age, surely we should soon be looking at a 7 figure fee if we get promoted with his goals to games ratio from a non-central position. I don''t think we really need another striker to come in and disrupt things. Possibly a young target man on loan, just in case Holt gets injured. [/quote]The main reason he is doing so well this season is because of his time at Luton. I''m not sure if he is ready for the Championship yet, and certainly wasn''t last season. Not knocking the guy, he can be relied on to be in the right place and hanging off the shoulder of the last defender (something vital if Holt is chasing back etc). His goal tally is impressive (is worth noting the 4 that came against Paulton though).Not sure about the 7 figure fee yet, he has to continue the good work he is doing and keep it up. He will always be limited in his career by his lack of pace but is still a great player for us and hope he can keep knocking them in this season and the next (in the Championship :) )

Come on, GJP, give the boy some credit. He was a big-time Charlie who had too much success in the Championship too soon. As you say, Roeder was spot-on to send him to Luton. Surely you must acknowledge that he has grown up as a result. He does work hard now. He has a lethargic style, but he does his fair share of charging about and defending from the front. And he''s got a decent goals ratio. He took his goal really well yesterday, had one chalked off for offside that looked pretty good to me. Yes, he missed a sitter, but if he''s our third best striker then we''re doing all right.I changed my mind about Crofty thanks to your constant defence of him last season. I submit that you are judging  Martin on his previous incarnation here as much as his performances this season. Let him change your mind.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]They''re both pretty much 1 in 2 games this season, that''s incredible, how on earth did we let Martin go to Luton last season?They''ve both got 3 games less than holt under their belts, (24) so say martin got 6 more in the next 3 (i know it''s wishful thinking!) he''d have the same strike rate as the much lauded Holt! Given his young age, surely we should soon be looking at a 7 figure fee if we get promoted with his goals to games ratio from a non-central position. I don''t think we really need another striker to come in and disrupt things. Possibly a young target man on loan, just in case Holt gets injured. [/quote]

There are no more worries if Holt gets injured we have the mighty Doc to send up front these days!

[quote user="pete_norw"][quote user="Quagmire"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yer on the pitch does help alot, where do you come from ?     

[/quote]

That village way upstream from yours.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Come on, GJP, give the boy some credit. He was a big-time Charlie who had too much success in the Championship too soon. As you say, Roeder was spot-on to send him to Luton. Surely you must acknowledge that he has grown up as a result. He does work hard now. He has a lethargic style, but he does his fair share of charging about and defending from the front. And he''s got a decent goals ratio. He took his goal really well yesterday, had one chalked off for offside that looked pretty good to me. Yes, he missed a sitter, but if he''s our third best striker then we''re doing all right.

I changed my mind about Crofty thanks to your constant defence of him last season. I submit that you are judging  Martin on his previous incarnation here as much as his performances this season. Let him change your mind.
[/quote]

Hey...I did give him some credit. I said I think he''s a "talented player" which is pretty good going in my books. lol. And to be fair, I''ve always said that about Chris Martin, right from when I saw him play before he was in the first team squad.

But likewise I''m not going to get carried away by a player who has still got it all to prove in the game. You have to look at what he''s done in the grand scheme of things. Has the lad even scored 30 league goals yet?

Bit like with Mickey Spillane, I''ve seen and heard people talking about how he''s outstanding at right back and looks a natural in a City shirt. How many games has he played for us and against what quality of opposition? He''s still got a lot to do as well and Chris Martin has got a lot more ability than him.

So yeah from my point of view I think Chris Martin is doing alright but it''s what has happened by the end of the season that counts (which I''m sure you know anyway)

I''d agree. He isn''t as lazy as he was. Could put a little more into games though.

last seasons loan move had given martin a real boost in experiance in football, and now that he has 1 pure qulity player just behind him and one good quality player along side him it has helped!

hoolahan is pure quality [;)]

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"] Given his young age, surely we should soon be looking at a 7 figure fee if we get promoted with his goals to games ratio from a non-central position.[/quote]left conditions on him getting the same strike rate right through the season and us getting promoted before his transfer value would be 7 figures. Think, if he did end with 24 goals or so and was new to the championship. I''d think of him like Mackail-Smith, a player who would probably fetch £1m or so

[/quote]

And just before he scored, Martin "layed one on a plate" for Holt with a wonderful chest down and lay-off in the box.  If you include the penalties he`s won us he`s got plenty of assists as well as goals this season.  On his performance yesterday (bad miss aside) i`m starting to take an "enjoy him whilst we`ve got him" attitude to him as i think he has the makings of a quality player.

despite the constant kicking gunn seems to get for being a poor manager , wanting to retain wes hoolihan bring make martin and sign holt was a master stroke . maybe gunn could not bring out the best of them but good choice of players .