Sign in to follow this  
Boyo

Hughes or Smith?

As we all know Hughes came on at half time and changed the game for us.  He added strength to the midfield, composure on the ball and creativeness.  He is a really good player and it just shows how well the team are playing to have someone like him on the bench every week. 

However I think we really missed Smith yesterday.  We missed his dominance in midfield, his tackling and his overall work rate.  Like Hughes I think he is a really good player and I think he has a great future ahead of him.  And although Hughes brings a lot of creativity I think I would rather have Smith there because he really does give 200% every game and is improving all aspects of his game every week.  It''s a tough one to choose but, it''s Smith for me.

Your thoughts.

I think we missed Smith or Hughes first half which was evident from the improvement after the break.

I think Hughes just edges it for me although it`s a close call between the two of them.

I was thinking as the first half came to an end that what we really needed on saturday was the energy and industry of Corey Smith...everyone bar Rusty seemed to be off the pace and having seen Smith get a well deserved goal at Southend after a number of missed efforts over the past few weeks I thought a corner had been turned by him and we would start to see the true emergence of Corey, so it was really disa ppointing for him not to be in the team. However, I think that Hughes brings something different and very good to the team, and much better at the front of the diamond than defensively. He has very good movement and I think with more starts he will make it very difficult for Lambert to leave him out.

I think we have to decide dependant on the opposition, i''d rather usually start Smith though and have Hughes on as a sub. I''d feel harsh on Hughes not playing more though, because he''s been brilliant every time he''s played.

I would like to see how a the midfield would work with Russel, Smith and Hughes. I know a little bit of balance would be lost with the left foot of Lappin missing, but I still think it might work out well. Hughes and Smith are both good players and the introduction of the former on Saturday changed the game.

And to those that say we would lose Lappin''s set play abilities, Hoolahan can also whip in a good corner as can Hughes so the trade off might be worth it.

[quote user="First Wizard"]A dificult choice, arguements for each player are valid, but Smith for me.[/quote]Disturbingly, I agree.[:O]

It really does depend on the team we are agaisnt, players available and whether we are home or away.

Korey is aggresive, likes a string tackle, energetic going forward and has really looked comfortable for me.

Hughes though, he has more height and a little more creative falir for me. He tries to create whenever possible and looks better going forward. He also doesn''t shy from a challenge and put a great shift in on Saturday.

Another point I noticed on Saturday was that Russell Martin got forward a lot more when Hughes was on. Adeyemi looked a little out of depth and off the pace. Not allowing Martin to bomb forward. With Hughes going forward, it created space for him to run into and added taht extra player in an advanced posiition.

[quote user="bristol_canary"]I dont rate Hughes, seems like he tries to do too much at times and often gives the ball away.he''s better than andy hughes though[/quote]

We can''t have been watching the same Hughes this season.[:|]

[quote user="bristol_canary"]I dont rate Hughes, seems like he tries to do too much at times and often gives the ball away.he''s better than andy hughes though[/quote]I think we all are! [:D]

[quote user="Big Bad John"][quote user="bristol_canary"]I dont rate Hughes, seems like he tries to do too much at times and often gives the ball away.he''s better than andy hughes though[/quote]

We can''t have been watching the same Hughes this season.[:|][/quote]Ive only seen him play twice this season, so my opinion is based on that. apparently he did ok on saturday but when i saw him at yeovil he looked like a carl robinson type of player!

[quote user="bristol_canary"][quote user="Big Bad John"][quote user="bristol_canary"]I dont rate Hughes, seems like he tries to do too much at times and often gives the ball away.

he''s better than andy hughes though
[/quote]

We can''t have been watching the same Hughes this season.[:|]
[/quote]

Ive only seen him play twice this season, so my opinion is based on that.
apparently he did ok on saturday but when i saw him at yeovil he looked like a carl robinson type of player!

[/quote]

Not at all. Carl Robinson was a safe and steady player, very much someone who played within his limits. Stephen Hughes has got a lot more in his locker and is full of clever touches.

I would rather see Hughes get the start over smith, I want to see what he can really do once he gets going! He was top notch when he came on this sat, think he deserves at least a start.

I''d like to see Hughes get a run. I think Smith has been excellent - too good to drop - but that doesn''t mean that Hughes can''t be even better. I like the way he goes about his business - pretty simple for the most part, but able to conjure a little bit of magic when the occasion demands. A Hughes-Russell centre midfield pairing strikes me as pretty damn classy.