Sign in to follow this  
Row D Seat 7

My view on NCFC 2009

The year started with Glenn Roeder at the helm. When Glenn was appointed, I wasn''t happy, but after seeing his passion in that 2-2 draw with Ipswich, I decided to give him a chance. His constant bad feeling towards the fans became too much for me to bare, I e-mailed Neil Doncaster on two separate occasions to voice my views on how Roeder was conducting himself. I, like many others, was also less impressed with Roeder''s performance at the clubs AGM meeting where I''m sure most of us know what happened. I was also angry at his treatment, and public ridicule, directed at Neil Adams.

On the pitch Roeder performed no better and I was delighted when I found out he''d been sacked by the club, the day after a 1-0 defeat to Charlton in the cup, especially after Roeder''s last comment as Norwich manager was "I''ll be the last man standing". Will you Glenn? Really?

I was delighted at Roeder''s departure until I discovered that the job had gone to Bryan Gunn. It says a lot about my feelings towards Gunn getting the job that I would have given anything to get Roeder back.

Bryan Gunn took over Norwich City with the club outside the relegation places. As we all know, this resulted in relegation. The day following relegation, I went along to the Fans Forum where I thought BG was a disgrace, getting involved in petty arguments with fans etc. Neil Doncaster, for all his failings, went about things the right way on that day, he was calm and collected and got his points across in a respectable manner.

Being a club that rewarded crippling failure, Gunn was given the job in the summer. However, during this time the club made it''s most important signing in years, David McNally.

The summer saw the resignation of Neil Doncaster and Roger Munby, departures that had fans smiling for the first time in a long time. My opinion of Delia, Doncaster, Munby, Gunn etc was that they were all friends, giving each other a pat on the back and a helping hand.

The signings during the summer were a mixed bag, among the good were Grant Holt, Jens Berthal Askou, Ben Alnwick and Stephen Hughes. The bad were Goran Maric, Owain Tudor-Jones, Simon Whaley, Michael Theoklatos, Paul Mcveigh and Michael Nelson. I haven''t seen enough of Gill and Wiggins to pass comment.

The 7-1 defeat at the hands of Colchester is a game I still cannot believe, which is an understatement, I know. Gunn sitting in the stands letting the team speak for themselves. They certainly did that. I agreed that Gunn should have been sacked, he was a disaster as manager. I didn''t care how they did it, but I''m just so glad they did it.

Then came Paul Lambert, a man that has continued to impress. I know there will be testing times ahead where we might not win as regularly as we have been, but I have firm confidence in him that we will succeed. For example, Saturday''s 3-0 win over Huddesfield. We were very poor in the first half, but I had complete confidence in Lambert that he could turn it around at half time. Unlike BG in our Colchester defeat. 4-0 down at half time, we come out and lost 7-1. Brilliant.

It''s been a rocky year for Norwich City fans, but we have a great setup now with Lambert and McNally. I have nothing against Delia, I just think someone with her personality isn''t cut out for football. She''s better off being a fan rather than an owner/director.

Bryan Gunn proved how serious he was about his managerial career by getting a job with a local mobile phone company. This makes it even more laughable that he was given the job in the first place. At least he''s gone now and we can look forward to a year in the Championship next season.

Best Wishes to all for Christmas and the New Year!

One of the ironies is that if Roeder had given up on his obsession with signing Steffen Iversen (remember him?) and cut his losses and signed a decent centre-forward for the start of last season (and so avoided the absurdity of Russell trying to play there) we would probably have finished in mid-table.Roeder would still be manager and all the boardroom changes probably wouldn''t have happened.Ain''t life strange?

Cheers - a good read, but we were 0-5 (not 0-4) down at half time vs Colchester; I''m not going to forget seeing all those goals go in at our end pf the pitch!