Sign in to follow this  
Legend_CB

If we were to get promoted, how many players would we need to bring in?

If we were to get promoted, how many players would we need to bring in?

I think the squad we have now would do a lot better in the Championship than the squad who got relagated. However, I still think we need to make some signings to make sure we finish in the top half.  Personally, i think we need to make about 5 or 6 new signings in the summer to strengthen our squad for Championship football. I think we need:

- A new GK - as Forster''s loan spell will finish. Hopefully we could get him on a permanent but if not we could perhaps look at Lonergan from Preston or Grant from Sheff Wed.

- A new CB - as Nelson doesn''t provide good enough cover for Askou and Doc.  Llera for Charlton, Okuonghae for Colchester, Whitbread for Milwall, and Peter Clarke from Huddersfield would all be decent additions.

- A new LB - as Drury is injury prone and im not sure Wiggins is capable of performing at Championship level.  Lewington for MK Dons, Davidson from Preston, Tierny from Colchester, and Lescott from Bristol Rovers would all be good enough in my opinion.

- A new CM - although Adeyemi and Smith have excellent futures, I''m not 100% sure if they could cope at Championship level yet.  Hammond from Southampton, Fox from Colchester, Folly from Plymouth, and Abdou from Milwall would all do the job for us in the Championship.

- A new RW/LW - Sometimes we may have to play a 4-4-2 and at the moment we haven''t got the players to do that.  Adomah from Barnet, Sam from Charlton, Roberts from Huddersfield, or Barcham from Gillingham would all be good targets.

- A new ST - at the moment we only have 3 strikers who are capable of playing at that level which are Holt, Martin and Mcdonald.  Cureton and Daley are not good enough in my opinion.  Mclean from Peterborough, Jackson from Gillingham, Le Fondre from Rotherham, Dagnall from Rochdale, and Fagan from Lincoln would all be decent additions.

Do you agree guys? :P

I think a lot would depend upon the manager and boards aspirations. This squad is good enough to survive to lower/mid table. To kick on beyond that we would probably need about 6 good quality players in most positions

[quote user="bristol_canary"]most of your suggestions are players who are not proven at championship level, I think we would need a few more experienced heads at that level
[/quote]

Yes, I will agree with you there. Who are some examples of more experienced players who would do a job for us then?

I can''t see us being able to sign any of the players you mentioned, they will all cost upwards of what we''d probably be able to afford, especially the strikers and keepers.

Freebies and cheap squad players for back up is what we should look for, consolidate our position in CCC should we return this season and go on from there in my opinion.

[quote user="bristol_canary"]most of your suggestions are players who are not proven at championship level, I think we would need a few more experienced heads at that level[/quote]Yes was going to make this criticism myself im affraid.

I feel we would need quite a few, however, CB where would we find the money for some of those players you''ve mentioned? Jackson for instance willl be far from our financial reach.

This will be our problem in the next couple of transfer windows unless we find someone willing to put some money in - lets hope Lambert can work with a small budget.

[quote user="Legend_CB"]

- A new ST - at the moment we only have 3 strikers who are capable of playing at that level which are Holt, Martin and Mcdonald.  Cureton and Daley are not good enough in my opinion.  Mclean from Peterborough, [/quote]

Barry Fry has stated in the press they turned down a £3m offer for him in the summer (from Coventy?) and is holding out for a £4m deal inc add ons!

A Lot! Realistically, I cant see many of our players still playing in the Championship. I reckon :RusselHughesHoltAskouHoolahanDoherty