Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Would we win the play offs?

Against most of the current teams in the places i''d be confident, but i just have this feeling that if we do have to settle for 3rd, Southampton will sneak in to 6th and we seem to have a bit of a problem playing them.

Makes me nervous ''cos the 9 point gap from Saints to 6th is nothing at all. It''s a big gap to make up on the leader when they''re winning all the time, but we know how 6th place changes almost every week and they can close that gap pretty quick. I''ll be surprised if they''re not 6th by mid Feb.

Everything rests on Charlton!

A lot depends on your run prior to the play offs. It always seems to be the team that has the late push into the play offs that does well.

Possibly, though I do agree with what Morty says about a lot of it being from your recent run of form. If we are unable to get any higher than 3rd this season but have still been playing really well then I think that we should stand a good chance. If in January we manage to get into the top two, hold ourself in an automatic promotion spot for the majority of the rest of the season but then lose our form in the final few fixtures and finish 3rd, then I think that it could reduce the likelyhood of us winning the playoffs, as it could dent the confidence of the players. However, let''s not forget that the negative issue that I pointed out is more of a possibility for Leeds, not us.

Not sure if we''d win, but I certainly think we would win over 2 legs against anyone in this league, even Leeds. So Final at mimimum i think.

[quote user="Rupethebear"]Not looking at the play offs, we want promotion and that means being either 1st or 2nd![/quote]

Agreed, we have every right to aim high this season. If we do finish in a playoff position then it''s just a gamble, often the better team throughout the season don''t win the playoffs.