Sign in to follow this  
hugoagogo

Gary Doc...

Gary Doc........ the truth

Always gives 100% effort

Always plays to the best of his ability

Is slow and easily turned

Doesn''t read the game very well

Was shaky in the first half yesterday and should have had a penalty given against him

Agreed Flashman. And the sooner Lambert realises what we all know the better. Two more games and January is here. So if Lambo''s got anything about him at all after Walsall it will be 206 and OUT!

Then we can welcome back to Carrow Road those fans who have been staying away untill Muffin is finally back where he belongs on Blackpool sands.

You should be so lucy[:O]

Hands up, I''ve always been critical of Doherty and I will continue to criticise him commencing December the 28th when the cracked diamond is properly put to the test.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Agreed Flashman. And the sooner Lambert realises what we all know the better. Two more games and January is here. So if Lambo''s got anything about him at all after Walsall it will be 206 and OUT!

Then we can welcome back to Carrow Road those fans who have been staying away untill Muffin is finally back where he belongs on Blackpool sands.

You should be so lucy[:O]

[/quote]

I hadn''t noticed many stay-away fans of late, where would you seat them all?

[quote user="Flashman"]

Gary Doc........ the truth

Always gives 100% effort

agreed

Always plays to the best of his ability

seems to be the same thing as the above

Is slow and easily turned

half true. He is slow on the turn, but he''s much quicker in a straight line than people give him credit for. He''s rarely outpaced by a striker. It''s when they turn away from him that he''s in trouble.

Doesn''t read the game very well

I think he''s better at this than he used to be. He''s not as old as he looks, and centre backs take a while to mature. Could also be that the game''s easier to read in league one.

Was shaky in the first half yesterday and should have had a penalty given against him

The accepted wisdom on here that he looks better with a solid player alongside him seemed to be confirmed yesterday.

I would also add that his distribution is far better than it was, and better than people make out. Some of his long-range passing this season has been excellent.

And he''s scored four goals this week.

[/quote]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="Flashman"]Was shaky in the first half yesterday and should have had a penalty given against him[/quote]You just made that up of course.[/quote]Stop seeing the word through Ginger Tinted glasses mate !

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="Flashman"]Was shaky in the first half yesterday and should have had a penalty given against him[/quote]You just made that up of course.[/quote]Stop seeing the word through Ginger Tinted glasses mate ![/quote]Were you there then? Maybe you could tell us what you saw.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Were you there then? Maybe you could tell us what you saw.[/quote]Ok I will...The defender turned Doc on a sixth pence and left him for deadDoc noticed this so turned around and hit his trademark WWE finisher "The Game Spoiler"The Defender fell to the floor in an epic mess and Doc raised his hands in protest...Luckily Chris Martin had distracted the referee with the real reason as to why he had been banned from every pub in Beccles and Norwich got away scott free.PHEW....Was bloody lucky

So you weren''t there then thus rendering any opinion you have on this irrelevant. Ho hum.For the record I don''t think refusing to make things up to discredit a player I don''t like means I''m wearing "ginger-tinted glasses" (now they''d be a big seller) but each to their own hey?

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]So you weren''t there then thus rendering any opinion you have on this irrelevant. Ho hum.For the record I don''t think refusing to make things up to discredit a player I don''t like means I''m wearing "ginger-tinted glasses" (now they''d be a big seller) but each to their own hey?[/quote]What do you mean I wasnt there ?I told you what I saw.....perhaps you really do need those glasses ????

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Tony Moore"]I''ve always been a great admirer of Docherty - even through the "bleak" days. I''ve never believed most of what people have said about him. I think that for too long he had no decent midfield in front of him, and now, especially with Russell as the holding midfielder in front of him, he has grown in confidence. By the same token he now has a half decent goalie behind him which again has given him confidence. Finally he is now playing alongside a central defender who, whilst not brilliant, complements his style. All in all it''s really pleasing to see. Long may it last (even if Nelson becomes the new scapegoat!) Tony.[/quote]

Yeah, exactly.

I''ve always said it''s the people around Doherty who have let him down. People who say he''s regularly been a weak link are talking complete and utter rubbish.

He''s had various defensive partners, dodgy ''keepers and midfielders infront of him who weren''t up to it. He''s carried us defensively for a long time. Fortunately we''ve now got a good manager and we''ve got a pretty settled team. He''s been able to build a partnership with another central defender who is comfortable playing on the left side.

He''s done well for this club and will continue to do so.

[/quote]

Precisely!

The Doc has had a lot of very unfair stick!

Over 200 games for the club and most of them have been good games. He owes the club nothing!

Yes hes had some bad games but like you say if the midfield is weak then the defence will look weak as well cause they will be under more pressure!

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="Flashman"]Was shaky in the first half yesterday and should have had a penalty given against him[/quote]You just made that up of course.[/quote]I am no huge critic of Doherty now, but I listened to the first half on the radio, and I did hear that he gave away a free kick that could so nearly have been a spot-kick. I think that Doherty has improved a lot more overall over the past few months, but listening to the match commentry on Radio Norfolk I still frequently hear about fouls committed by Doherty. I think that his tackling has improved a bit, but from my point of view, that is the skill that he is weakest in.

I''ll tell you something about Gary Doherty -- his heart''s in the right place.So are his arms, legs and head, but that isn''t so obvious. [:D]

I hope you realise that I''m going to have to demand payment for my material pretty soon - I can''t keep giving it to you like you''re some f*cking charity.

[quote user="HazzaJet"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="Flashman"]Was shaky in the first half yesterday and should have had a penalty given against him[/quote]
You just made that up of course.
[/quote]
I am no huge critic of Doherty now, but I listened to the first half on the radio, and I did hear that he gave away a free kick that could so nearly have been a spot-kick. I think that Doherty has improved a lot more overall over the past few months, but listening to the match commentry on Radio Norfolk I still frequently hear about fouls committed by Doherty. I think that his tackling has improved a bit, but from my point of view, that is the skill that he is weakest in.
[/quote]

I watched it on the wireless too Hazza and that could easily have been a penalty. You see The Doc gives away so many penalties on the wireless! But in actual games, well 205 actual games, he has given away a miserly 3 penalty kicks. And one of them, against Bristol City last season was iffy to say the least and he had the red card rescinded. But as I was watching it on the wireless yesterday I fully expected the referee to give it. But Doc got lucky, which you could say he deserved after having so many given against him on the wireless before.

Anyway, our Ginger Pele has pulled the wool over the eyes of every manager this club has had over the last 6 seasons. And that''s a lot of managers I''ll have you know. But it''s accepted now that we have a manager who won''t be taken in by Muffin. Yes in Lambert we trust and with January in touching distance the final goodbye thread must be only just round the corner.

We had a great spine yesterday- Doc (get over it folks....), Russell and Martin were superb.  I have a feeling Holt may be carrying an injury as he was off the pace and definately gestured to the bench about halfway through the second half.

[quote user="HazzaJet"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="Flashman"]Was shaky in the first half yesterday and should have had a penalty given against him[/quote]You just made that up of course.[/quote]I am no huge critic of Doherty now, but I listened to the first half on the radio, and I did hear that he gave away a free kick that could so nearly have been a spot-kick. I think that Doherty has improved a lot more overall over the past few months, but listening to the match commentry on Radio Norfolk I still frequently hear about fouls committed by Doherty. I think that his tackling has improved a bit, but from my point of view, that is the skill that he is weakest in.[/quote]But it was outside the box so wasn''t a penalty, it was a free kick. So saying it was ''nearly'' a penalty is surely not at all relevant!As for fouls... well I don''t think 30 in 22 games is particularly frequent. Especially seeing as Grant Holt has given away 62 in 27 matches. And Darel Russell has given away 30 in 18 games. But no-one says they give away too many fouls do they?

Re...As for fouls... well I don''t think 30 in 22 games is particularly frequent. Especially seeing as Grant Holt has given away 62 in 27 matches. And Darel Russell has given away 30 in 18 games. But no-one says they give away too many fouls do they?  ....... Interesting stats, which I looked at also on the Official Board. So that''s just over 1 foul per game. You could say thats not enough for a CH! And as to his pace - there was one incident in the match on Sat when Rhodes, who is supposed to be quick, was away and running toward the River End goal, and Doc caught him up with real pace, and won the ball off him. I thought he was close to MOM on Sat, just behind Russell, who had a cracker of a game, and Hoolahan who was particularly good in the 2nd Half, and is a class act.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="HazzaJet"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="Flashman"]Was shaky in the first half yesterday and should have had a penalty given against him[/quote]You just made that up of course.[/quote]I am no huge critic of Doherty now, but I listened to the first half on the radio, and I did hear that he gave away a free kick that could so nearly have been a spot-kick. I think that Doherty has improved a lot more overall over the past few months, but listening to the match commentry on Radio Norfolk I still frequently hear about fouls committed by Doherty. I think that his tackling has improved a bit, but from my point of view, that is the skill that he is weakest in.[/quote]

I watched it on the wireless too Hazza and that could easily have been a penalty. You see The Doc gives away so many penalties on the wireless! But in actual games, well 205 actual games, he has given away a miserly 3 penalty kicks. And one of them, against Bristol City last season was iffy to say the least and he had the red card rescinded. But as I was watching it on the wireless yesterday I fully expected the referee to give it. But Doc got lucky, which you could say he deserved after having so many given against him on the wireless before.

Anyway, our Ginger Pele has pulled the wool over the eyes of every manager this club has had over the last 6 seasons. And that''s a lot of managers I''ll have you know. But it''s accepted now that we have a manager who won''t be taken in by Muffin. Yes in Lambert we trust and with January in touching distance the final goodbye thread must be only just round the corner.

[/quote][:D]

I think it says a lot about how far we''ve come under Lambert that people are using their God given right to moan about a defender who has been totally consistent since getting his place back while banging the goals in. A few more wins and we''ll be down "well, yeah ok we won, but I wasn''t happy with the way Forster picked his nose during his long periods of inactivity."

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="HazzaJet"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="Flashman"]Was shaky in the first half yesterday and should have had a penalty given against him[/quote]You just made that up of course.[/quote]I am no huge critic of Doherty now, but I listened to the first half on the radio, and I did hear that he gave away a free kick that could so nearly have been a spot-kick. I think that Doherty has improved a lot more overall over the past few months, but listening to the match commentry on Radio Norfolk I still frequently hear about fouls committed by Doherty. I think that his tackling has improved a bit, but from my point of view, that is the skill that he is weakest in.[/quote]But it was outside the box so wasn''t a penalty, it was a free kick. So saying it was ''nearly'' a penalty is surely not at all relevant!As for fouls... well I don''t think 30 in 22 games is particularly frequent. Especially seeing as Grant Holt has given away 62 in 27 matches. And Darel Russell has given away 30 in 18 games. But no-one says they give away too many fouls do they?[/quote]I said it could have so nearly been a spot-kick as from what I heard on the commentry they were saying that the foul was only just outside the box. I agree with your points about Holt and Russell - I think that Holt is our player with the most yellows this season, and last season Russell got sent off twice. Holt does worry me from time to time as the last thing we want is for him to get sent off, but maybe he worries me less than Doc because he''s a striker, and so the majority of the fouls he gives away are further back from our goal.I don''t want Doc to go though as my favourite CB partnership at the moment is him and Askou

Indeed this is the problem with the fouls all our defenders make. They are usually in our own half and often in dangerous positions around the box. Where as our forwards do tend to give away free kicks much further up the field.

[quote user="HazzaJet"]I said it could have so nearly been a spot-kick as from what I heard on the commentry they were saying that the foul was only just outside the box. I agree with your points about Holt and Russell - I think that Holt is our player with the most yellows this season, and last season Russell got sent off twice. Holt does worry me from time to time as the last thing we want is for him to get sent off, but maybe he worries me less than Doc because he''s a striker, and so the majority of the fouls he gives away are further back from our goal.I don''t want Doc to go though as my favourite CB partnership at the moment is him and Askou[/quote]Doh! Surely the point is that the Doc knew exactly what he was doing by making sure the contact came outside the box? And you could expand on the point by saying that despite being a potential grapple champion according to many on here (what''s happened to Ricky BTW?) the stats show that he very rarely gets caught for it, so he clearly knows how far to go without being penalised.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Well although I''m glad Doc is finally getting some credit round here I can''t say I''m surprised at how well he is playing as I''ve always known that he is a better player than many on here could bring themselves to give credit for. So I haven''t suddenly started saying "I''ve always said how great he is" or anything like that. I''ve always stuck up for him around here along with several other people who aren''t totally braindead and don''t blame all our problems on one player, especially one who never hides and always puts himself on the line for the team, and while not the most talented footballer ever will always give everything and quietly go about his job without any fuss.[/quote]The only braindead people I see are the ones who actually thought Doc was doing a good job for us pre Lambert.[/quote]Ignorant muppet.

[quote user="HazzaJet"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="Flashman"]Was shaky in the first half yesterday and should have had a penalty given against him[/quote]You just made that up of course.[/quote]I am no huge critic of Doherty now, but I listened to the first half on the radio, and I did hear that he gave away a free kick that could so nearly have been a spot-kick.[/quote]It was well out of the area - watching from the upper Barclay there would have been a riot if it had been given as a pen.

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="HazzaJet"]I said it could have so nearly been a spot-kick as from what I heard on the commentry they were saying that the foul was only just outside the box. I agree with your points about Holt and Russell - I think that Holt is our player with the most yellows this season, and last season Russell got sent off twice. Holt does worry me from time to time as the last thing we want is for him to get sent off, but maybe he worries me less than Doc because he''s a striker, and so the majority of the fouls he gives away are further back from our goal.I don''t want Doc to go though as my favourite CB partnership at the moment is him and Askou[/quote]Doh! Surely the point is that the Doc knew exactly what he was doing by making sure the contact came outside the box? And you could expand on the point by saying that despite being a potential grapple champion according to many on here (what''s happened to Ricky BTW?) the stats show that he very rarely gets caught for it, so he clearly knows how far to go without being penalised.[/quote]So what you could say then is that he grapples at the right time, and gives away free kicks when he has to (case in point on Saturday when he took the guy out rather than letting him get into the penalty area unopposed)? Is that not what all good CBs do?

Don''t know what all the fuss and surprise is all about.

He has ALWAYS been a great third division player.

Problem was we bought him for the Prem!

Needs to be dumped now. And replaced in this transfer window. We can''t possibly contemplate keeping him if we get promoted because he will drag the club back down to his level.

I was forced to watch it on the wireless on Saturday and that muppett Adams seems to think the reason Donkerty is so comfortable in this league is because he is better than the standard. What does he know!!![:@]

In Lambert we trust[Y]

January is nearly here[<:o)]