Sign in to follow this  
hugoagogo

Gary Doc...

Has hopefully shut all the people who booed his every slight error right up!!As he continues to be our best defender .Moreover the que of fools who on this very website dedicated themselves to trying to destroy the Docs NCFC tenure I think he is well within his rights to flash a two finger salute right in their faces !

[quote user="hugoagogo"]Has hopefully shut all the people who booed his every slight error right up!!As he continues to be our best defender .Moreover the que of fools who on this very website dedicated themselves to trying to destroy the Docs NCFC tenure I think he is well within his rights to flash a two finger salute right in their faces ![/quote]

As I''ve said before, I was among those criticising him early in the season, but he has been magnificent since he came back, and stood out again yesterday. My concern is that his partner was guilty of most of the things that have been thrown at Doc, yet we somehow contrived to keep a clean sheet. Nelson does much of the muck and nettles defensive stuff well, but panics under pressure with the ball at his feet and is not a good passer. I admire the guy''s attitude, but he''s simply not a City player.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="hugoagogo"]Has hopefully shut all the people who booed his every slight error right up!!As he continues to be our best defender .Moreover the que of fools who on this very website dedicated themselves to trying to destroy the Docs NCFC tenure I think he is well within his rights to flash a two finger salute right in their faces ![/quote]

As I''ve said before, I was among those criticising him early in the season, but he has been magnificent since he came back, and stood out again yesterday. My concern is that his partner was guilty of most of the things that have been thrown at Doc, yet we somehow contrived to keep a clean sheet. Nelson does much of the muck and nettles defensive stuff well, but panics under pressure with the ball at his feet and is not a good passer. I admire the guy''s attitude, but he''s simply not a City player.

[/quote]

I could''ve sworn he was wearing a yellow shirt yesterday[8-)]

Seriously though Beau, give the guy a break.  Yesterday he was probably under more pressure than anyone else in the side, plus he was on a hiding to nothing.  Any slight error and he was going to get it in the neck from the boo boys, and if he has a blinder he''s still going to be dropped when Jens is fit next week.  Let''s not forget two things. One, he hasn''t played regularly for quite a while so would take a little time to adjust to the pace, especially against a very quick Huddersfield side.  This I think was shown by the way he got stronger as the game went on.  And two, when he was a regular earlier in the season we kept several clean sheets in a row. (At about the same time as the Doc was allegedly finished at this club)

Good post Scooby. IMO Nelson is a good central defender at this level and I won''t forget the unselfishness that he showed last week at Southampton when a mistake by Hoolahan left a Southampton player feer to run on goal and Nelson had two choices - do nothing or take the player out - he chose the latter and so ran the risk of being sent off for the cause. In the event he was lucky only to get a yellow.

[quote user="Scooby"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

I could''ve sworn he was wearing a yellow shirt yesterday[8-)]

Seriously though Beau, give the guy a break.  Yesterday he was probably under more pressure than anyone else in the side, plus he was on a hiding to nothing.  Any slight error and he was going to get it in the neck from the boo boys, and if he has a blinder he''s still going to be dropped when Jens is fit next week.  Let''s not forget two things. One, he hasn''t played regularly for quite a while so would take a little time to adjust to the pace, especially against a very quick Huddersfield side.  This I think was shown by the way he got stronger as the game went on.  And two, when he was a regular earlier in the season we kept several clean sheets in a row. (At about the same time as the Doc was allegedly finished at this club)

[/quote]

Fair point Scoobs. As I said, I admire his attitude, which is first class, but whereas Doc has spent most of his career at clubs where defenders were expected to play the ball around , Nelson seems to have developed on the basis of "win the ball and then get it as far away from goal as possible", which isn''t our style. The guy has a huge heart, and those focussing on his being caught in possession in the first half usually  fail to mention who made the saving tackle on the edge of our six yard box (it was Nelson). His lack of pace is also a huge worry.

You are quite right on the clean sheet front, and I would struggle to think of a game where he has actually cost us a goal other than the game whose name cannot be mentioned (and he was hardly alone there!) and Carlisle in the Cup

[quote user="hugoagogo"]Has hopefully shut all the people who booed his every slight error right up!!As he continues to be our best defender .Moreover the que of fools who on this very website dedicated themselves to trying to destroy the Docs NCFC tenure I think he is well within his rights to flash a two finger salute right in their faces ![/quote]Doc has frequently been the most un-reliable player on our team and nothing more than a TOTAL LIABILITYHowever,I am man enough to sayRespect to Doc as hes playing his socks off, it didnt happen until Lambert lit a fire under his ass and thank god we did cos i prefer the new improved Doc monumentally to the slug with the one armed take down we have had in our back 4 for the last couple of seasons.If he keeps this up the form hes had under Lambert this far i can see him being the real spine of our defence for a couple more years.

Ditto!

In over 200 honest, fully committed performances for the club most of them have been good''un!

He has certainly been value for money - £750,000 he cost us!

He owes the club nothing!

And all this crap about Lambert being the man who has changed the Doc!

Last season the Doc and Clingan were head and shoulders, easily our 2 best players!

The season before that he was one of our best players!

Oh and he did get player of the season in 2005/06!

We still leak goals (3 at Yeovil, 2 at Southampton) and yesterday only inept finishing stopped Huddersfield from scoring in the first half (Rhodes diving header, totally unmarked) but all three Central defenders give their all & that''s something that did not happen before Lambert IMO.... Plus Doc no longer feels the need to switch sports & Rugby tackle his man at every opportunity. He is making better decisions, something that has to be down to the coaching staff. We''ll see how well we cope without the Doc now he''s got his 5th booking.

I think the three defenders will serve us well (despite my reservations voiced about Nelson before Saturdays game) in this Division, not sure against better pacey players in the Championship.

Anyway 4 goals in three games!!! There''s only one Ginger Pele.........

I have been a critic of The Doc in recent seasons but this year he has done well, realisicly though we haven''t came up against teams that have much in terms of pace and quality going forward and this is where i''m afraid The Doc falls down because he cannot deal with fast or intelligent strikers. In the previous seasons,. to say he has been one of our best players, says more about the team than the player look at last year Croft won player of the season for running around like a headless chicken and the previous two campaigns we were a poor team.When we do go upto The Championship (whether this year or next) I feel we will need two new centre backs as I don''t think in him or Jens Berthel we have players who could cope at a level with a lot more quality going forward and the amount of basic errors they make. As many clean sheets as we have kept this season when these errors are made at Chapionship level they will get punished. Look at yesterdays first half, and Tranmere a few weeks ago better teams would have been out of site before we really got going. 

[quote user="Dead Canary"]Yeah we would need a keeper and maybe a rb as well depending on how Spillane does when he comes back.
[/quote]

Was thinkin along the lines of a keeper, cb''s, winger''s, a striker and if Wiggins isn''t up to it another left back.

I''ve always been a great admirer of Docherty - even through the "bleak" days. I''ve never believed most of what people have said about him. I think that for too long he had no decent midfield in front of him, and now, especially with Russell as the holding midfielder in front of him, he has grown in confidence. By the same token he now has a half decent goalie behind him which again has given him confidence. Finally he is now playing alongside a central defender who, whilst not brilliant, complements his style.

All in all it''s really pleasing to see. Long may it last (even if Nelson becomes the new scapegoat!)

Tony.

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]

[quote user="Dead Canary"]Yeah we would need a keeper and maybe a rb as well depending on how Spillane does when he comes back.[/quote]

Was thinkin along the lines of a keeper, cb''s, winger''s, a striker and if Wiggins isn''t up to it another left back.

[/quote]A striker with some pace would be good to compliment what we have already. Not sure on the wingers yet if we stick with the current formation which really suits Hoolahan we may not need them unless its for a plan b.

[quote user="Tony Moore"]I''ve always been a great admirer of Docherty - even through the "bleak" days. I''ve never believed most of what people have said about him. I think that for too long he had no decent midfield in front of him, and now, especially with Russell as the holding midfielder in front of him, he has grown in confidence. By the same token he now has a half decent goalie behind him which again has given him confidence. Finally he is now playing alongside a central defender who, whilst not brilliant, complements his style. All in all it''s really pleasing to see. Long may it last (even if Nelson becomes the new scapegoat!) Tony.[/quote]

Yeah, exactly.

I''ve always said it''s the people around Doherty who have let him down. People who say he''s regularly been a weak link are talking complete and utter rubbish.

He''s had various defensive partners, dodgy ''keepers and midfielders infront of him who weren''t up to it. He''s carried us defensively for a long time. Fortunately we''ve now got a good manager and we''ve got a pretty settled team. He''s been able to build a partnership with another central defender who is comfortable playing on the left side.

He''s done well for this club and will continue to do so.

Alright lets stop circle jerking over Doc and pretending hes never been a clumsy oaf.Because quite frankly last season and the start of this one he was shocking and there are no excuses.

Shack made Doc look worse than he is, but he''s still a liability. Our record long term with him in the centre is appalling. He''s slow, has bad timing and hoofs. He communicates and organises well and has some ability in the oppo box (which is why we bought him if you remember.....

[quote user="BA"]Shack made Doc look worse than he is, but he''s still a liability. Our record long term with him in the centre is appalling. He''s slow, has bad timing and hoofs. He communicates and organises well and has some ability in the oppo box (which is why we bought him if you remember.....[/quote]Shack didn''t make Doc look worse last season

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Alright lets stop circle jerking over Doc and pretending hes never been a clumsy oaf.Because quite frankly last season and the start of this one he was shocking and there are no excuses.[/quote]Wrong (except the start of this season bit). You just constantly run him down anyway so you''re hardly unbiased.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Alright lets stop circle jerking over Doc and pretending hes never been a clumsy oaf.Because quite frankly last season and the start of this one he was shocking and there are no excuses.[/quote]Wrong (except the start of this season bit). You just constantly run him down anyway so you''re hardly unbiased.[/quote]Nah i know im right, he is a clumsy oaf.But if you read the last page even I have said " Yes" Doc has been reborn and I am very much impressed with him.

I just dont know why people all of a sudden start saying " See I always said Doc was great " When he blatently hasnt been.Get real people, Lambert has started this guys NCFC career !

Well although I''m glad Doc is finally getting some credit round here I can''t say I''m surprised at how well he is playing as I''ve always known that he is a better player than many on here could bring themselves to give credit for. So I haven''t suddenly started saying "I''ve always said how great he is" or anything like that. I''ve always stuck up for him around here along with several other people who aren''t totally braindead and don''t blame all our problems on one player, especially one who never hides and always puts himself on the line for the team, and while not the most talented footballer ever will always give everything and quietly go about his job without any fuss.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Well although I''m glad Doc is finally getting some credit round here I can''t say I''m surprised at how well he is playing as I''ve always known that he is a better player than many on here could bring themselves to give credit for. So I haven''t suddenly started saying "I''ve always said how great he is" or anything like that. I''ve always stuck up for him around here along with several other people who aren''t totally braindead and don''t blame all our problems on one player, especially one who never hides and always puts himself on the line for the team, and while not the most talented footballer ever will always give everything and quietly go about his job without any fuss.[/quote]The only braindead people I see are the ones who actually thought Doc was doing a good job for us pre Lambert.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]
The only braindead people I see are the ones who actually thought Doc was doing a good job for us pre Lambert.
[/quote]

Well that''s a long list that started with Worthy and ended with Gunn. Included in that list was every partner he played beside including a certain centre forward who we used to play at centreback for some reason only known to Peter Grant.