Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

Pinkun Website...

Sounds like a good idea to me [:D]

We need an edit button

Something to stop people continually changing their names

Something to stop people re-registering in a new name when they''ve been banned

The sections need looking at - for example the Hucks at San Jose section could be deleted now, other sections which aren''t used could go.

In fact it just needs modernising, so get going Canary Boy [:)]

[quote user="Canary Boy"]Ok cityangel, just waiting for the Pinkun phone call.[/quote]At a guess, you''ll need knowledge of asp.net, Microsoft SQL Server, and an understanding of how to work on databases and code spread across multiple servers.  If you can do all that for nothing, you should be working for me [:)]

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Canary Boy"]Ok cityangel, just waiting for the Pinkun phone call.[/quote]At a guess, you''ll need knowledge of asp.net, Microsoft SQL Server, and an understanding of how to work on databases and code spread across multiple servers.  If you can do all that for nothing, you should be working for me [:)][/quote]Or Archant could actually design their applications properly and make a proper job of their websites... [;)]

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Canary Boy"]Ok cityangel, just waiting for the Pinkun phone call.[/quote]At a guess, you''ll need knowledge of asp.net, Microsoft SQL Server, and an understanding of how to work on databases and code spread across multiple servers.  If you can do all that for nothing, you should be working for me [:)][/quote]Or Archant could actually design their applications properly and make a proper job of their websites... [;)][/quote]It''s not Archants design it appears to be a licensed ''solution'' (God I hate the overusage of that word).

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Canary Boy"]Ok cityangel, just waiting for the Pinkun phone call.[/quote]At a guess, you''ll need knowledge of asp.net, Microsoft SQL Server, and an understanding of how to work on databases and code spread across multiple servers.  If you can do all that for nothing, you should be working for me [:)][/quote]Or Archant could actually design their applications properly and make a proper job of their websites... [;)][/quote]That would be good too - but real world applications are rarely tidy, as human beings tend to be messy.  That''s my excuse anyway.

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="I.S."][quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Canary Boy"]Ok cityangel, just waiting for the Pinkun phone call.[/quote]At a guess, you''ll need knowledge of asp.net, Microsoft SQL Server, and an understanding of how to work on databases and code spread across multiple servers.  If you can do all that for nothing, you should be working for me [:)][/quote]Or Archant could actually design their applications properly and make a proper job of their websites... [;)][/quote]It''s not Archants design it appears to be a licensed ''solution'' (God I hate the overusage of that word). [/quote]You''re right, the forum is bolted on, but I assumed the websites were a custom job which power their sites across the board (e.g. EDP24). I could be wrong though!

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="I.S."][quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Canary Boy"]Ok cityangel, just waiting for the Pinkun phone call.[/quote]At a guess, you''ll need knowledge of asp.net, Microsoft SQL Server, and an understanding of how to work on databases and code spread across multiple servers.  If you can do all that for nothing, you should be working for me [:)][/quote]Or Archant could actually design their applications properly and make a proper job of their websites... [;)][/quote]It''s not Archants design it appears to be a licensed ''solution'' (God I hate the overusage of that word). [/quote]You''re right, the forum is bolted on, but I assumed the websites were a custom job which power their sites across the board (e.g. EDP24). I could be wrong though![/quote]Archant have been using an Atex/Polopoly CMS for about a year now and yes........ Atex do call it a ''solution''.[:@]

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="I.S."][quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="I.S."][quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Canary Boy"]Ok cityangel, just waiting for the Pinkun phone call.[/quote]At a guess, you''ll need knowledge of asp.net, Microsoft SQL Server, and an understanding of how to work on databases and code spread across multiple servers.  If you can do all that for nothing, you should be working for me [:)][/quote]Or Archant could actually design their applications properly and make a proper job of their websites... [;)][/quote]It''s not Archants design it appears to be a licensed ''solution'' (God I hate the overusage of that word). [/quote]You''re right, the forum is bolted on, but I assumed the websites were a custom job which power their sites across the board (e.g. EDP24). I could be wrong though![/quote]Archant have been using an Atex/Polopoly CMS for about a year now and yes........ Atex do call it a ''solution''.[:@][/quote]Bloody hell, what do their web team actually do then (sorry Pete)?! [:D]

[quote user="Nuff Said"]I completely agree!
[/quote]

Why have you copied my avatar couldn''t you find one of your own? [:)]

[quote user="morty"]Uh-oh, chick fight!
[/quote]

Too old to fight [:D] but I''ve had this avatar on here for the past 5 years and didn''t really want to change it[:''(]

As for this website, it does need modernising doesn''t it?

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="morty"]Uh-oh, chick fight![/quote]

Too old to fight [:D] but I''ve had this avatar on here for the past 5 years and didn''t really want to change it[:''(]

[/quote]The only real way to sort this is topless covered in baby oil.[:P]As a user of other forums this one really is hopelessly out of date!

I''m glad none of you are coming to my house on Boxing Day... you''d come in, make yourselves at home, put your feet up on the coffee table, and then start slagging off the furniture and the decor while helping yourselves to the complementary beer.Basically, you get what you pay for, it''s free, it works, yes it could be better but it''s not as if Archant make any revenue out of this site, and it''s miles better than WotB in terms of usability.

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="morty"]Uh-oh, chick fight!
[/quote]

[/quote]

No need to fight Angel. That poor excuse of an attempted copy of your avatar is nothing but a short, stubby angel. Nothing like your taller, more beautiful shape. My eyes may be old but they can still discern the difference.

As for the Pink "un website and the current message:

"We are experiencing severe problems with all our websites, which currently cannot be updated.
We are working hard to put this right, and apologise to our visitors for the lack of updates"

Any high wagers betting on a trouble free scenario between now and the end of the year, along with corrective surgery, should be classified as gambling fools. 

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I''m glad none of you are coming to my house on Boxing Day... you''d come in, make yourselves at home, put your feet up on the coffee table, and then start slagging off the furniture and the decor while helping yourselves to the complementary beer.Basically, you get what you pay for, it''s free, it works, yes it could be better but it''s not as if Archant make any revenue out of this site, and it''s miles better than WotB in terms of usability.[/quote]I use other free forums that are way better than this, it can be done on zero budget!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Mister Chops"]I''m glad none of you are coming to my house on Boxing Day... you''d come in, make yourselves at home, put your feet up on the coffee table, and then start slagging off the furniture and the decor while helping yourselves to the complementary beer.Basically, you get what you pay for, it''s free, it works, yes it could be better but it''s not as if Archant make any revenue out of this site, and it''s miles better than WotB in terms of usability.[/quote]I use other free forums that are way better than this, it can be done on zero budget![/quote]I bet the free ones are ones people have done themselves for a hobby.  Chops makes a valid point about cost,  Archant is a proper business, and I doubt they''d shell out at least, what? £500 for a proper job.  It int going to happen

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="I.S."][quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="I.S."][quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Canary Boy"]Ok cityangel, just waiting for the Pinkun phone call.
[/quote]

At a guess, you''ll need knowledge of asp.net, Microsoft SQL Server, and an understanding of how to work on databases and code spread across multiple servers.  If you can do all that for nothing, you should be working for me [:)]
[/quote]

Or Archant could actually design their applications properly and make a proper job of their websites... [;)]
[/quote]

It''s not Archants design it appears to be a licensed ''solution'' (God I hate the overusage of that word).
[/quote]

You''re right, the forum is bolted on, but I assumed the websites were a custom job which power their sites across the board (e.g. EDP24). I could be wrong though!
[/quote]

Archant have been using an Atex/Polopoly CMS for about a year now and yes........ Atex do call it a ''solution''.[:@]
[/quote]

Thats news to me. As far as I know, and support, The Welwyn and Hatfield Times is the only live site on the Atex/Polopoly CMS.

Theres one my gaming clan uses for free, called phpbb, completely free

for any forum community to use. 50 times better interface than this and

has full edit features.Seriously in the grand scheme of things the Pink un forum is pretty stoneage, and as far as I know hasn''t changed at all since they opened it (about a day or two before I joined)

[quote user="morty"]Theres one my gaming clan uses for free, called phpbb, completely free

has full edit features.Seriously in the grand scheme of things the Pink un forum is pretty stoneage, and as far as I know hasn''t changed at all since they opened it (about a day or two before I joined)[/quote]Also incredibly insecure because of how wide spread it''s use is (and open source). Gonna be honest, phpBB looks nice but it''s a monster to actually modify and make it what you want, where as this looks a little bit more customer specific. Also you would find it hard to use phpBB on an asp.net server ;)Oh and asp.net is disgusting.

[quote user="d3sm0nd"][quote user="morty"]Theres one my gaming clan uses for free, called phpbb, completely free

has full edit features.Seriously in the grand scheme of things the Pink un forum is pretty stoneage, and as far as I know hasn''t changed at all since they opened it (about a day or two before I joined)[/quote]Also incredibly insecure because of how wide spread it''s use is (and open source). Gonna be honest, phpBB looks nice but it''s a monster to actually modify and make it what you want, where as this looks a little bit more customer specific. Also you would find it hard to use phpBB on an asp.net server ;)Oh and asp.net is disgusting.[/quote]Lol, that told me.[:)]

Don''t understand all these technical terms but still think the sections could be modified a bit. I see the Hucks at San Jose sub forum has been moved tonight but there''s still more that could be done to update it which wouldn''t take long.

''''Kings Lynn and Local league football'''' section has had only a few posts in the past few months

''''User polls '''' section is hardly used.

''''Football chants'''' section has been used once in past month

''''Team Mates '''' section has been used once in past 3 months

[quote user="Barbie"]

Thats news to me. As far as I know, and support, The Welwyn and Hatfield Times is the only live site on the Atex/Polopoly CMS.

[/quote]My apologies if factually incorrect then, I was citing from memory a story run in Jan/Feb about the Atex/Polopoly CMS takeup causing 20 job losses at Archant. Nice to hear that wasn''t neccesary then.And for the webbies on here worried about the security of the free and elegant PHP/MySQL distributions I suggest giving thought to the following:Try renaming all the key parts of your sites eg. installation, config and admin folders and contents in the very least. f3 in Dreamweaver is your friend and after exporting the SQL into notepad f3 again becomes your best buddy as you update the biggest databases in just a few clicks.eg f3 DW find ''admin'' and replace with ''gobbledigook'' ''entire site'' do exactly the same find and replace in your SQL and those pesky hackers  (many of whom are actually just downloadable scripts) can''t even find the door let alone pick the lock or break in. Default installations are the devils playground, www.mysite.com/admin/index.php is much easier to find than www.mysite/q65Jk4UibX22a/ydsyFt764BV.php but all the same to your site visitors and your cms/mysql if you roll up your sleeves for ten minutes now and again.

A lot of that is down to how rigid the rules are enforced.  I mean,  some posters try and post in the correct  places. And some don''t care and think it doesn''t matter hence the ''forum police'' comments if anybody says anything.  I''ll get bashed for saying, but take the ''Friday thread''.  It never gets moved because some rules are allowed to be broken.  Once one is overlooked, you''re on the slippery slope because posters will think, if he can do it so can I''. Then the whole message board becomes a mess.I''m sure Pete has got better things to than constantly fart around with the board, but if everyone ''done their bit'' the whole board would look tidier.

I think most people''s criticism is with the actual mechanical workings of it all, rather than the moderating etc.

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="Barbie"]

[/quote]My apologies if factually incorrect then, I was

citing from memory a story run in Jan/Feb about the Atex/Polopoly CMS

takeup causing 20 job losses at Archant. Nice to hear that wasn''t

neccesary then.And for the webbies on here worried about the

security of the free and elegant PHP/MySQL distributions I suggest

giving thought to the following:Try renaming all the key parts

of your sites eg. installation, config and admin folders and contents

in the very least. f3 in Dreamweaver is your friend and after exporting

the SQL into notepad f3 again becomes your best buddy as you update the

biggest databases in just a few clicks.eg f3 DW find ''admin''

and replace with ''gobbledigook'' ''entire site'' do exactly the same find

and replace in your SQL and those pesky hackers  (many of whom are

actually just downloadable scripts) can''t even find the door let alone

pick the lock or break in. Default installations are the devils

playground, www.mysite.com/admin/index.php is much easier to find than

www.mysite/q65Jk4UibX22a/ydsyFt764BV.php but all the same to your site

visitors and your cms/mysql if you roll up your sleeves for ten minutes

now and again.[/quote]

Good points buckethead, although I find a lot more of the "hacking"

attempts are by SSH to my server, and if they get in there then

renaming things is a bit pointless as they have access to everything

really. Best thing is to deny root access and also do the points you''ve

specified.

Oh and cityangel, subforums are always hard, from running my own sites

I''ve seen a lot of subforums never used. Never knew what to do with

them tbh as I couldn''t just delete them. I suppose the few like chants etc. could be removed but it allows easy searching for them.

[quote user="Jack Buchanans gavel"]  I''ll get bashed for saying, but take the ''Friday thread''.  It never gets moved because some rules are allowed to be broken.  Once one is overlooked, you''re on the slippery slope because posters will think, if he can do it so can I''. Then the whole message board becomes a mess.
I''m sure Pete has got better things to than constantly fart around with the board, but if everyone ''done their bit'' the whole board would look tidier.
[/quote]

Think you''ll find that moderating the board is one of Pete''s daytime jobs ( isn''t it Pete) and as for the joke thread guess you''re right, you shouldn''t have a rule for one and not for others.

Also agree that we should all do our bit, but the only way you''ll stop idiots starting half a dozen different versions of for example ''''Adams has got away with it '''' is if the staff who moderate the site don''t allow it to happen.

I love the site which is why I stick around but do find the whole set up frustrating at times.