Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

The Coldest game i can remember

Oddly enough, I saw this thread and thought "I can remember a flippin'' cold match in the ''80s. There was sonw on the terraces in the River End and we were skidding about on it. It was against.. errmm.. Huddersfield!!" I think we won 2-0 then.

It was cold but I have been colder on numerous occasions, the fact that I could feel my feet at full time means I have deffo been colder. An fa cup tie in the late 90''s at Grimsby comes to mind, we sold out the away end and my seat was in the front row, the sleet was virtually horizontal straight into my face and we all hid behind the stand at half time to get out of the weather, oh and we lost 3-0.Having said that I am still grateful I didn''t break my neck walking from town to the game today, I nearly went over on about 3 or 4 occasions.

[quote user="yellow 63"]FA Cup 1987[/quote]That sounds about right. Were you there? I can''t remember seeing you.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Great second half but that was the coldest i can remember being at a game in a long while and the paths afterwards were lethal[/quote]

Very true and I find it amazing that paths near the stadium wern''t salted/gritted when the authorities knew that they''d be 25,000 at the game. Another example of where us the tax payers are let down by the public sector/Councils!

[quote user="Congo Canary"]1985 Milk cup quarter final away at Grimsby. Their coldest night on record -12.

Norwich fans cleared te pitch of snow, then a mass snowball fight with the sportsnight camera crew. Bloody cold, but great day.[/quote]One of my favourite ever away games that one.I remember the salute Chris Woods saluting the Grimsby end at the end of the game after they had pelted him with snowballs all the way through the second half[:D]Did''nt know City fans helped to clear the pitch that day...

i remember tha game in 85. Touch and go we were gonna get to game. I didn''t drive at time and went on coach.

When i got back to Norwich, i couldn''t get anyone to meet me as i lived 9 miles out in countryside and roads were so bad. Ended up walking home the 9 miles and kept slipping over cos the road was like glass!!

Oh, and got home about a couple of hours before i had to be up to start work at 7.30 am!!

Remember i ddn''t care though, cos i was on such a high at get to semi finals (and those games agains you know who!!)

Exiting days!!

Wimbledon at home about 8 or 9 years ago. Lost 2-1, and what was worse was they had 10 men from most of the game. Bloody freezing awful game.

It was pretty cold at the game yesterday. however the coldest I have ever been was last night waiting for a cab in Norwich for 4 hours. think i could well have a touch of frost bite. Ah well that will teach us not to book a taxi a few days before the last Saturday before Christmas

[quote user="shortfatb"]Away to Forest on Boxing Day, I think, or over Christmas, in late 90''s or early 00''s we were 3 down with over 20 minutes left and it was so cold I went home. Can anyone else  remember or confirm this? 
[/quote]

can''t remember the score but can recall going away to Forest on Boxing Day and being the coldest I have ever felt at a football match. We lost and didn''t get a kick. I made the very wise decision not to go to Sheff Wed two days later.............and we won that one 5 - 0 I think.

Liverpool FA cup 1986, the only game on in the north west, we lost 5-0!

That Grimsby Milk Cup tie for sure.

Playing at the National Hockey stadium during the protion season, with that ice cold wind. Brrrrrr.

I seem to remember a friendly arranged against Peterborough on a Saturday afternoon, mid 80s, after our away game had been cancelled. Bloody brass monkey that day, and was one of only 6,000 who turned up. Or I cold have imagined that one.

can''t remember the score but can recall going away to Forest on Boxing Day and being the coldest I have ever felt at a football match. We lost and didn''t get a kick. I made the very wise decision not to go to Sheff Wed two days later.............and we won that one 5 - 0 I think.

Made the same mistake as you Barclay Boy. Went to Forest - we lost 2-0 and froze - then missed the 5-0 win at Hillsborough.....doh!!

Don''t think it was quite as cold at Forest that day as it was on Saturday. According to the BBC RAF Marham had the lowest daytime temperature at -2.2C so it must have been around that at Carrow Road

''That game was on ITV''s Midweek Sports Special, not BBC''s Sportsnight!

Commentary was from Martin Tyler!'', You always get one!!

Yep,a real cup tie. Touch and go whether or not it was on, crap ground, freezing conditions, and a Caroline Seagull coach trip.

At school at the time, and managed to bribe the day off for the price of a program. However, a stale pork pie hurled down the coach from the farmhouse cafe, giving me a black eye didn''t go down too well the next day, and took an awful lot of explaining!!

[quote user="jelltex"]Liverpool FA cup 1986, the only game on in the north west, we lost 5-0!

That Grimsby Milk Cup tie for sure.

Playing at the National Hockey stadium during the protion season, with that ice cold wind. Brrrrrr.

I seem to remember a friendly arranged against Peterborough on a Saturday afternoon, mid 80s, after our away game had been cancelled. Bloody brass monkey that day, and was one of only 6,000 who turned up. Or I cold have imagined that one.[/quote]

I have the promotion booklet from 85 - 86 and all the matches in February were postponed due to snow - after our match at Hull on March 1st was called off we arranged a friendly against Cambridge at Carrow Road , pitch was near enough frozen and the crowd was 720 ish - that was pretty cold - other than that I would go with Brum in the FAC replay in 84 - only time at 90 minutes when you hear a collective groan because there is extra time , also Southampton in 1990 , played in heavy snow , orange ball the lot

I think modern spectators suffer more from the cold at football matches than they used to  - two reasons:1) Underpitch heating means that many more matches go ahead in sub-zero conditions - years ago they would have been postponed2) It is harder to keep warm when sitting down rather than standing up - since Carrow Road went all-seater I''ve noticed I suffer from the cold at matches much more.Having said that, although I was frozen in the first half on Saturday, in the second half the adrenalin kicked in and I hardly noticed the cold! [:D]

[quote user="RonDavies"]I think modern spectators suffer more from the cold at football matches than they used to  - two reasons:

1) Underpitch heating means that many more matches go ahead in sub-zero conditions - years ago they would have been postponed

2) It is harder to keep warm when sitting down rather than standing up - since Carrow Road went all-seater I''ve noticed I suffer from the cold at matches much more.

Having said that, although I was frozen in the first half on Saturday, in the second half the adrenalin kicked in and I hardly noticed the cold! [:D]
[/quote]Agree.

I seem to remember a game vs Charlton at home where it was really really cold.  I also seem to remember the ref got knocked out and it took me about 3 hours to warm up after, so that gets my vote.  Score may have been 1-1.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Great second half but that was the coldest i can remember being at a game in a long while and the paths afterwards were lethal[/quote]

You need some hair on your chest!