Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

OK, say we win promotion - what then?

What will the policy be? What should the policy be?

Prudence? Stay in the Champs?

or

Ambition? Go for promotion? Or at least the playoffs.

or

Prudence with ambition? Next year, next year, next year. Pump up the PR.

or

Ambition with prudence? Pretend to go for promotion. Pump up the PR

or

Consolidation? Mid-table is fine.

or

(Your choice)

Of course the Owners, the Chairman, the Board, the CEO, the Manager may all have conflicting views.

What would your policy be - and what would be needed for it to be successful?

Me? I''m a momentum man and I would seek to go for back-to-back promotions because (a) its simply the right thing to do, (b) it would certainly get the fans onside in a big way, (c) it would be the best way to attract a suitable investor or owner, and (d) it would give us the best chance of retaining Lambert and his team (as well as McNally - one suspects that he is ambitious and in a hurry)

''Project Prem''. Timeframe 2 years max.

One love.

OTBC

Of course promotion, back to back, would be wonderful.  But it needs a whole lot of money to strengthen the squad, and we don''t have a lot of money.  In a world without financial context, of course we should go for promotion.  But the Norwich City team in the real world and on an internet message board are sadly not operating under the same constraints.

Exactly what you say!

I think the current side could of been a top half side in the Championship and if we go up this year we''ll have momentum plus the attraction of big crowds, a decent ambitious manager and a good team to entice some better players!

We don''t have to go silly with finances to be able to get together a side capable of having a good go in the Championship IF we get there of course!

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

or

or

or

or

or

(Your choice)

Of course the Owners, the Chairman, the Board, the CEO, the Manager may all have conflicting views.

Me? I''m a momentum man and I would seek to go for back-to-back promotions because (a) its simply the right thing to do, (b) it would certainly get the fans onside in a big way, (c) it would be the best way to attract a suitable investor or owner, and (d) it would give us the best chance of retaining Lambert and his team (as well as McNally - one suspects that he is ambitious and in a hurry)

One love.

OTBC

[/quote]

Good post Bly but its not quite as simple as that

Do you blow your entire budget in the summer?  Or do you hang back and keep some for a promotion push in January?

Do you keep the same squad that got you promoted or do you rip it to bits?  Holt is a no-brainer, but what about Hoolahan - he hasnt done particularly well at Championship level.

Cody?  Martin?  Will Askou cut it in a higher level?  Who''s in goal? 

Agree project Prem should be the aim.  Is 2 years correct though?  Successive promotions would be good but would it send us back to the Championship in season 3?.  Would it be better to spread your budget and get promoted in season 5 - and stay there?

Sorry to say it - one all.......

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Of course promotion, back to back, would be wonderful.  But it needs a whole lot of money to strengthen the squad, and we don''t have a lot of money.  In a world without financial context, of course we should go for promotion.  But the Norwich City team in the real world and on an internet message board are sadly not operating under the same constraints.
[/quote]

OK, so what would your policy be?

OTBC

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]5 years is even a bold estimate for the Prem, 2 years is laughable :-/
[/quote]

So what would your policy be?

OTBC

Well, without wanting to sound like Darth Donkster, and in the absence of a big money investor/owner, balancing the books and making sure the club didn''t run at such a massive loss would be priority.  Of course, the increase in TV money etc would help, and I would hope to strengthen the squad in the areas I deemed critical while assessing which of the current squad could hack it at a higher level.  And let''s not kid ourselves, the difference between Champs and League One is vast.  We may have players who look good enough but aren''t (Lappin, McDonald, Askou).  Plus a number of players would ask for new deals with increased wages.... thanks, agents, you parasites... so the temptation to run at a big loss would again return.Bluntly, if we went up, I''d settle for 12th-14th in the Championship and a chance to get everything on the even keel we need to support a Premiership push the following season.  Hell, that''d be better than the last 3 years.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]5 years is even a bold estimate for the Prem, 2 years is laughable :-/[/quote]

So what would your policy be?

OTBC

[/quote]Let me be the manager and id sign all the guys i did on FM10 to get Norwich straight back upJOKEDunno , i think Lambo is doing things right and we are gonna struggle next season if we dont go up and next season if we do.Prem is the 5 year plan with a strong Championship finish but not promotion year 4 so we can grab a few old prem hands to keep us in the top flight when we get there

I don''t like the sound of "Prudence with ambition"Sure I''ve heard it somewhere before.I know, lets follow "The Charlton model"

Keep lambert and endeavour to give him the equivalent budget in the champs that grant/roeder had.    That was an above average budget, which together with an above average manager should mean above average results - we can get more value/points per £ than before.

As Mr C has pointed out we would need a lot of squad changing - the current squad despite its current feel good factor is not strong enough to walk into the top half of the champs table in a season,  the whole core of the team would need strengthening - keeper, central defence midfield and strikers would all require an upgrade. They would probably avoid relegation but this squad is technically not as good as the one the roeder/gunn had last season;  what he has done is create a team from the misfits.

What Lambert and a sensible (not tight but not extravagent) budget could do is create a side like the promotion one of worthy;  ie a team that is stronger than the sum of its parts.  He is the key here.

I know not the finances - but pushing for the promotion run should be the target if we can secure promotion this year;  as things stand today I would take promotion followed by a mid table finish - which would be the best season in 5 years and mean a flirt with the play offs. That is not me accepting mediocrity it would demonstrate a remarkable turnaround from starting this season as the worst team in Div 3 after a couple of games (taking into account sotons deserved but artificial -10pts)  

It''s all about how good our football team is and how well they perform. I believe we  got relegated quite simply because we massively under achieved on where we should have been on our budget. I would imagine Burnley over achieved on where they should have been on theirs. So you would think that we could finish anywhere from bottom to the play-offs next season if we are promoted this. A team with a winning mentality would surely give us the chance to over achieve so I believe back to back promotions, through the play offs, would be possible although a top half finish more likely.

But Bly, as you well know, the club would need more funds from another source to make a sustained bid to get back to the Premiership. Without these funds a quick return through the play offs on the back of momentum gained this season could possibly be our best chance. But I believe it would still take that outside investment for us to stay there.

Just to clarify Bly - I believe it''s possible to get back to back promotions from League One - Championship - Premier League. I believe it''s also possible to go from Division Three - Division Two - Division One the same way. Where I think you''re going to have difficulty is your ridiculous attempt to go from Division Three - Championship - Premier League[:|][:P]

or

or

or

or

or

(Your choice)

One love.

OTBC

[/quote]

You seemed to have missed the hardest answer out on your own question!  Your policy is fantastic, but kind of stating the bleedin obvious. Who wouldn''t want that. You might be a momentum man but you seem a little short in ambition. Me? I''m a winning man I would seek to win this division, then win the championship, then win the premier league and then the champions league because ... well all the same reasons as you''ve mentioned except we wouldn''t need to attract investment and owners as Delia would be the the best thing in the whole wide world, earning masses from books on how to run a football club and TV programs on how to win over the fans, all of which would be invested in the team largely made up of top world class footballers. Now how to do this? mmmm oh yeh ask delia to put in an equal amount of cash to whatever the fans will donate (which is bound to be plenty as they now know what the aim of the project is) and hand it all over to Lambert and let him do his best.

We most definitely have the team spirit, with some quality players in Holt, Hoolahan, Martin, Russell, Doc (he has been so much better recently, lets hope he continues this curve), Drury, Askou(?)

So this is what mant call the spine of the team. We need to cull the rubbish, Cureton, McVeigh, Semmy, Gill, OTJ et al. recoup the wages and look for good freebies in the summer. Not seen Russell Martin or McNamee play yet, but can imagine that they can do a good job.

Agree with B-ru - first thing we should do is continue the rebuilding. Even without much budget PL has a lot he can do in terms of cutting away the dead wood and replacing. He''s started it but all those B-ru has mentioned can go as far as i''m concerned as long as they can be replaced. Although not made my mind up on Gill. I might have another look at OTJ if it wasn''t for his injuries - insane decision to buy him in the first place.

The other think i''d like to know is the revenue difference between champs and league one, particularly when gates are the same or better.

The tv revenue can''t be much different can it? Point being that i can''t see how we''d be significantly financially stronger once/if we''re back in the championship.

I think consolidation in the championship is the aim, in the next few years, if nothing dramatic changes internally at this club... that is where we would have been if we hadn''t of got crouch, huckerby, harper, svensson and mckenzie that year we went up

we have a budget for a mid table championship team, this game is all about money and we do not compete with premiership or with the top teams in the championship... Burnley have an american owner who is worth plenty more than our board

As we saw last season and this other clubs are moving forward with new grounds, new investors, better calibre of players... teams like doncaster having billy sharp... we are now in there league with the likes of blackpool, because we have such little investment we are standing still as others have gone forward over the last few years

please can we all remember a squad that had russell, doc, lappin were all part of teams that for two years had us on the brink of relegation and finally relegated

three teams will come down from the prem. with loads of money, there are at least 10 teams in the division above with more money, bigger squads and better players

teams may go out of business in that league or we may have an investor but it hasn''t turned clubs round that quickly has it

we would be in the bottom half next season even with new additions

it is a long term plan, but most importantly we need new investment to begin to start about competing for the promotion places in the championship

I agree smooth, that a lot of clubs have doen very well o the back of investment. But I feel sure that it with the correct investment in players, our club can do well. There are plenty of players that are available on the cheap or free, and the only concern would be wages (I know that there are hidden costs in agent fees etc as well)

Someone mentioned Ellington being available for less than Holt... if true, this is the kind of bargains we need to be looking out for and getting first dibs on.

The batch of youth lpayers that we have coming through is a big boost as well. A few these in the side has shown that they can play without jeopardising the performance and more importantly, the result.

or

or

or

or

or

(Your choice)

One love.

OTBC

[/quote]

Firstly Delia will have her gob on every newspaper page....... and the exodus of manager and decent players would begin.

Promotion to Division Two is hardly flying high..... but the NCFC propaganda machine will have you believing so...

Hmmm....

Powerful thing - momentum.

What do you reckon about going for top 6 next season in the top tier?

We''ve done it 3 times before.

Never say never.

OTBC

As I''m now £700 better off thanks to Betfair I have one thing to suggest to the club, the same I suggested last summer

there''s only on way to approach a season ....

saddle up, swords outstretched and

CHAAAA - AAAAARGE ! ! !

[quote user="City1st"]As I''m now £700 better off thanks to Betfair I have one thing to suggest to the club, the same I suggested last summer there''s only on way to approach a season .... saddle up, swords outstretched and CHAAAA - AAAAARGE ! ! ![/quote]

Fantastic - good for you. What odds did you get and when did you place the bet?

[quote user="City1st"]As I''m now £700 better off thanks to Betfair I have one thing to suggest to the club, the same I suggested last summer there''s only on way to approach a season .... saddle up, swords outstretched and CHAAAA - AAAAARGE ! ! ![/quote]

[:D]

And a running start is even better. ''Cos then you have that old momentum thingy.

TURBOCHAAAAAAAAAARGE!!!

OTBC

August and 14-1

The irony is that had we had played as some of the less bright were calling for, consolodation then we would have achieved mid table mediocrity.

Which unfortunately means you all start together again in August on NOUGHT points. No real achievement other than the possible loss of players, season ticket holders and interest (and manager?)

Certainly the momentum has helped. It would have been the height of absurdity to stop a winning run and play for a draw. Rather like running the 400yds and finding yourself in the lead coming round final bend, and then deciding to ''consolodate'' ie slow down so that everyone else can catch up.

As to betting I would suggest that you take a look as early as possible. I was fairly certain that we would be at least around the playoffs. However the bet placed was based more on the odds offered than the probability of us going up.