Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Nothing to Fear in January

Listening to recent Canary calls the speculation of our better players leaving in january has been raised. I would argue the opposite. Holt and hoolahan have been brilliant for us this season and it is essential to our success that both stay. neither in my view would be first choice in a top 3 championship club, nor would either attract a fee of over £1m each given their ages and the fact that their success is at League 1 level. If they would not get into a top championship side why would thet want to move away to a scunthorope, Doncaster, Barnsley, Blackpool etc? They are successful and appreciated at a clun [ Norwich] that at long last is moving in the right direction under the management of a great management team. We are all looking forward to some seasons in the sun!

i agree hoolahan and holt are worth more to us than any other team will pay for them. Being as a we paid 500kish for Holt as a top league 2 scorer i think hes worth over a million. None of the teams in champ have that kind of money apart from the perhaps the teams he would be a bench player for. Like wise with hoolahan.

I agree with YC as well. It''s the fans of clubs like Southend (who I think still have dire financial problems) and Southampton, who are in mid-table and just above the relegation zone respectively, and have players like Lee Barnard (top goalscorer in the league I think), Adam Lallana and Rickie Lambert, who should be more worried than us.

I have complete faith in the new people on the board and Paul Lambert in not breaking up what is proving to be a successful team.

I don''t think we will lose Holt due to what McNally said about not having to sell to stay afloat. I know this could be spin, but it would seem a little pointless to lie about it now just to sell someone in a few months.

Another reason is the player himselves, Holt is bang on form and knocking the goals away but it isn''t like he is an unknown. This guy has been around forever and never really managed much above this League, for a 29 year old striker at a club who don''t have to sell and several years left on contract he might be seen as a risk for Champ Managers. I remember someone being interested in Rickie Lambert but being put off buy the million pound price tag for an older striker, Southampton eventually paid it but R. Lambert had several years of success under his belt unlike Holt who was playing in Singapore not so long ago.

Hoolihan is the guy who will attract a lot more interest, superb for Blackpool but dodgy for us last year, sometimes great sometimes a liability. Having a good season in League One I wouldn''t be surprised if McNally gets a few calls about this guy and of course he has a price. In some ways selling him would offer more flexibility to the team, I feel the diamond is all about accommodating the way he plays (which has been worth it). He is yet to show he can step up a level and play for a top 10 Championship team but would be good for a Conventry or Crystal Palace.

When questioning saying things like "why would they want to leave?" remember the nice signing on fees players get when moving club and the potential wage rise. Not saying these guys are "all about the money" but a footballers career could end the next time they play, or even in training and what are they going to do after that? I don''t blame a lot of players being tempted to move around to reap the benefits, especially at League 1 and 2 level where wages as crazy as the Premier League.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Listening to recent Canary calls the speculation of our better players leaving in january has been raised. I would argue the opposite. Holt and hoolahan have been brilliant for us this season and it is essential to our success that both stay. neither in my view would be first choice in a top 3 championship club, nor would either attract a fee of over £1m each given their ages and the fact that their success is at League 1 level. If they would not get into a top championship side why would thet want to move away to a scunthorope, Doncaster, Barnsley, Blackpool etc? They are successful and appreciated at a clun [ Norwich] that at long last is moving in the right direction under the management of a great management team. We are all looking forward to some seasons in the sun![/quote]

Agree totally!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"][quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Listening to recent Canary calls the speculation of our better players leaving in january has been raised. I would argue the opposite. Holt and hoolahan have been brilliant for us this season and it is essential to our success that both stay. neither in my view would be first choice in a top 3 championship club, nor would either attract a fee of over £1m each given their ages and the fact that their success is at League 1 level. If they would not get into a top championship side why would thet want to move away to a scunthorope, Doncaster, Barnsley, Blackpool etc? They are successful and appreciated at a clun [ Norwich] that at long last is moving in the right direction under the management of a great management team. We are all looking forward to some seasons in the sun![/quote] Agree totally![/quote]

If I was Lambert I would come right out and say,If you want any of my players don''t come calling unless you offer me no less than  £15.million for any of them. they should then get the message. take it or leave it