Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

If we weren't relegated last year...

Would Gunn still be in charge? Would we have McNally? Would we be scrapping for mid table obscurity in the champ?

Just as the McClown / Croatia debacle with England and not going to the 2008 Euros led to the rebirth of England under Capello, the same seems to be happening to us.

In hindsight of course, which way would you have had it? Stay up last season or come down, have a clear out and start again?

We would probably be in another relegation dog fight with Gunn still in

charge, it''s still to early to say whether relegation really was a

blessing in disguise or not, but im positive that the general mood

amongst Norwich fans wouldn''t be as good as it is now had we stayed up

by the skin of our teeth last season.

[quote user="a1canary"]Would Gunn still be in charge? Would we have McNally? Would we be scrapping for mid table obscurity in the champ? Just as the McClown / Croatia debacle with England and not going to the 2008 Euros led to the rebirth of England under Capello, the same seems to be happening to us. In hindsight of course, which way would you have had it? Stay up last season or come down, have a clear out and start again?[/quote] Well it aint done Leicester any harm! We were a club with no direction or leadership from the top down, we needed a fresh start and that couldn''t happen in the Championship. I think in 3 seasons we will look back on it as a turning point for the club for when the rot stopped.

[quote user="a1canary"]Would Gunn still be in charge? Would we have McNally? Would we be scrapping for mid table obscurity in the champ?

Just as the McClown / Croatia debacle with England and not going to the 2008 Euros led to the rebirth of England under Capello,
the same seems to be happening to us.

In hindsight of course, which way would you have had it? Stay up last season or come down, have a clear out and start again?[/quote]Personally I dispute that England have had a rebirth under Capello, in fact I don''t think we''re any better at all. Against the big teams, albeit in friendlies, we''ve effevtively taken 4 points from 15. In the qualifiers Croatia were a shadow of what they were ahead of the Euro''s, and we struggled to beat Ukraine at Wembley and lost to them in Dnipro. I fear major embarressment at the WC.As for Norwich, we''d flirted with relegation for the two previous seasons I see no real reason why we wouldn''t be doing the same again. It''s impossible to say if we''d have got Lambert in charge if we hadn''t been relegated, I''m just glad we have. That''s not to say I''m accepting of being in league one though!

Steady on Penfold, i won''t have anyone suggesting this post is an ''acceptance of being in league 1!''

As for England, you can''t seriously say that the England team is not now a completely different outfit than the one McClown left behind. And that it''s not better for it.

Those friendlies we lost were all largely pointless because we put out reserve teams for them after all the first choice players from the usual clubs pulled out with ''injuries''. I agree we''re yet to see what we can do against the big teams with our first choice team, but the point is, things look a hell of a lot better now than on ''that'' wet night in Wembley!

[quote user="a1canary"]Would Gunn still be in charge? Would we have McNally? Would we be scrapping for mid table obscurity in the champ? Just as the McClown / Croatia debacle with England and not going to the 2008 Euros led to the rebirth of England under Capello, the same seems to be happening to us. In hindsight of course, which way would you have had it? Stay up last season or come down, have a clear out and start again?[/quote]

Indeed, but had we stuck with Eriksson we would never have had McClown[;)]

Agree with all of that Wembley. I was talking to a gooner yesterday who told me I seemed much happier winning in this league than getting beaten most weeks in the Championship. I think he''s right, I am happier but I''m just not quite sure that relegation was a blessing in disguise.

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"]We would probably be in another relegation dog fight with Gunn still in charge, it''s still to early to say whether relegation really was a blessing in disguise or not, but im positive that the general mood amongst Norwich fans wouldn''t be as good as it is now had we stayed up by the skin of our teeth last season.[/quote]

No idea why this quote never showed on my post above? It was there on the preview.

[quote user="a1canary"]Steady on Penfold, i won''t have anyone suggesting this post is an ''acceptance of being in league 1!''

As for England, you can''t seriously say that the England team is not now a completely different outfit than the one McClown left behind. And that it''s not better for it.

Those friendlies we lost were all largely pointless because we put out reserve teams for them after all the first choice players from the usual clubs pulled out with ''injuries''. I agree we''re yet to see what we can do against the big teams with our first choice team, but the point is, things look a hell of a lot better now than on ''that'' wet night in Wembley![/quote]I actually don''t think England are a better team now, winning and losing is often a matter of circumstance. I''m no Steve McClown fan, in fact I think he''s next to useless, but Capello has had the favorable luck McClown didn''t. McClaren''s tenure really all came down to one game, that fateful night at Wembley, and if you look at the team from that night I''m not sure things would have been any better with Fabio as manager. The back five that night were: Carson, Richards, Campbell, Lescott and

Bridge. Doesn''t inspire much defensive confidence, does it? I hope I''m wrong and we go on to win the WC, but I really haven''t seen anything in the two years since Capello became manger that say to me we will. I can''t believe England are still trying to play that out of date 4-4-2 with Gerrard on the left. Doesn''t Capello know diamonds are the future? Seriously, a diamond midfield with Rooney at the tip or a Christmas tree with Rooney and Gerrard behind a striker would surely suit us better than persevering with flawed wingers that can''t cross and/or dribble. Anyway the England manager should be English. I don''t understand how any proud Englishman can celebrate a foreigner taking the best job in his country. You''re only damaging your own prospects, not necessarily in football, but in general. On a similar theme, Mikel Arteta becomes eligible for England this January do you want him too? Other nations do it, Spain and Croatia have a Brazilian, Portugal have three, Italy have an Argentinian and France have most of Africa. I really don''t want to see us go down this route.

[quote user="Penfold"][quote user="a1canary"]Steady on Penfold, i won''t have anyone suggesting this post is an ''acceptance of being in league 1!'' As for England, you can''t seriously say that the England team is not now a completely different outfit than the one McClown left behind. And that it''s not better for it. Those friendlies we lost were all largely pointless because we put out reserve teams for them after all the first choice players from the usual clubs pulled out with ''injuries''. I agree we''re yet to see what we can do against the big teams with our first choice team, but the point is, things look a hell of a lot better now than on ''that'' wet night in Wembley![/quote]

I actually don''t think England are a better team now, winning and losing is often a matter of circumstance. I''m no Steve McClown fan, in fact I think he''s next to useless, but Capello has had the favorable luck McClown didn''t. McClaren''s tenure really all came down to one game, that fateful night at Wembley, and if you look at the team from that night I''m not sure things would have been any better with Fabio as manager. The back five that night were: Carson, Richards, Campbell, Lescott and Bridge. Doesn''t inspire much defensive confidence, does it? I hope I''m wrong and we go on to win the WC, but I really haven''t seen anything in the two years since Capello became manger that say to me we will.

I can''t believe England are still trying to play that out of date 4-4-2 with Gerrard on the left. Doesn''t Capello know diamonds are the future? Seriously, a diamond midfield with Rooney at the tip or a Christmas tree with Rooney and Gerrard behind a striker would surely suit us better than persevering with flawed wingers that can''t cross and/or dribble.

Anyway the England manager should be English. I don''t understand how any proud Englishman can celebrate a foreigner taking the best job in his country. You''re only damaging your own prospects, not necessarily in football, but in general. On a similar theme, Mikel Arteta becomes eligible for England this January do you want him too? Other nations do it, Spain and Croatia have a Brazilian, Portugal have three, Italy have an Argentinian and France have most of Africa. I really don''t want to see us go down this route.

[/quote] I agree the national manager should be English but the way the Prem league is now it''s not overun with candidates personally i would have liked Harry Rednapp.

All this tripe about being able to rebuild in League 1!

We could of rebuilt in the Championship similar to what we have done this season and we would of been OK especially with Lamberts man management and motivational skills!

I just wish we''d of had Lambert last season cause we''d still be in the Championship now!

I think this squad, with Lambert plus a couple or 3 better players which would of been affordable, in the Championship would of been pushing for a top half finish!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]All this tripe about being able to rebuild in League 1! We could of rebuilt in the Championship similar to what we have done this season and we would of been OK especially with Lamberts man management and motivational skills! I just wish we''d of had Lambert last season cause we''d still be in the Championship now! I think this squad, with Lambert plus a couple or 3 better players which would of been affordable, in the Championship would of been pushing for a top half finish![/quote] Had we stayed in The Championship Gunn would still be Manager and we would now be in the bottom 3.

[quote user="JF"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"]All this tripe about being able to rebuild in League 1! We could of rebuilt in the Championship similar to what we have done this season and we would of been OK especially with Lamberts man management and motivational skills! I just wish we''d of had Lambert last season cause we''d still be in the Championship now! I think this squad, with Lambert plus a couple or 3 better players which would of been affordable, in the Championship would of been pushing for a top half finish![/quote] Had we stayed in The Championship Gunn would still be Manager and we would now be in the bottom 3.[/quote]

If Gunn would of kept us up last season he''d of been a serious contender for manager of the season given the muddle he inherited!

Yeah probably without Mcnally coming in we''d of not thought about getting Lambert but we could of still changed clubs policies like loans, getting useless old (never were any good) managers like Roeder and using more academy players in the Championship and still been well away from the relegation places!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"][quote user="JF"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"]All this tripe about being able to rebuild in League 1! We could of rebuilt in the Championship similar to what we have done this season and we would of been OK especially with Lamberts man management and motivational skills! I just wish we''d of had Lambert last season cause we''d still be in the Championship now! I think this squad, with Lambert plus a couple or 3 better players which would of been affordable, in the Championship would of been pushing for a top half finish![/quote] Had we stayed in The Championship Gunn would still be Manager and we would now be in the bottom 3.[/quote] If Gunn would of kept us up last season he''d of been a serious contender for manager of the season given the muddle he inherited! Yeah probably without Mcnally coming in we''d of not thought about getting Lambert but we could of still changed clubs policies like loans, getting useless old (never were any good) managers like Roeder and using more academy players in the Championship and still been well away from the relegation places![/quote] Unfortunately it took relegation to force the board to make the changes. Had we of stayed up i think it would of been more of the same until the inevitable relegation but yes any of the rebuilding we done could of been done in The Championship but we just wouldn''t of done it.

Probably stuck in another relegation fight. However lets not suggest that getting relegated was the best thing for us yet, if we dont go back up then it wont have been worth it, or if we went up this season and then came straight back down next season. Until we end up being at the very least mid-table in the championship then our overall position will be a poor one.Having said that, this seasons been a lot more fun, and finally brought back some positivity to the club. However im sure a run of bad games and that will soon change...

Relegation didn''t lead to a change of manager.  But it did lead to a change of Chief Exec, and McNally''s decision to replace Gunn with Paul Lambert is the crucial factor.  Do you think Doomcaster would have acted as McNally did after the Colchester game?  No, nor do I. 

So I suppose the real question is: would Doncaster still be here if we''d stayed up, and was relegation a blessing in disguise because it led to his (long overdue) departure? 

4-4-2 is out of date? I''ve heard it all now!

Formations like fashions! I suppose Redknapp''s 4-4-2 with Lennon and Defoe on the wing and up front respectively delivered a very out of date 9-1 victory! Nothing to do with having a system to suit the players at your disposal? Capello has actually tried a number of formations but all our best performances have come with 4-4-2. I don''t think anyone agrees with Gerrard left and i very much doubt you''ll see that at the WC. He was just experimenting which lets face it, an international manager gets few chances to do.

Arteta for England? I doubt it because of the stink it would cause. It''s a bit weird why we don''t question it in other sports but are horrified at the suggestion of it happening in football. I don''t see anyone complaining about Kevin Pietersen or Jonathan Trott?

As for managers, I agree with having the best candidate for the job, wherever he''s from - if he''s English, bonus, if not, fine. The same applies at clubs, so why does it have to be different for country? Does the Norwich manager have to come from Norfolk? England then? Oh dear!

I started a post on this a while back - I personally dont think things would have changed if we''d stayed up - Doomcaster would still be here, Gunn likewise and we''d probably have been in a similar position to Ipswich.  Relegation to division 3 has worked wonders for a number of clubs - Leicester are the most recent but the others include Man City, Reading & Birmingham

[quote user="a1canary"]4-4-2 is out of date? I''ve heard it all now!

Formations like fashions! I suppose Redknapp''s 4-4-2 with Lennon and Defoe on the wing and up front respectively delivered a very out of date 9-1 victory! Nothing to do with having a system to suit the players at your disposal? Capello has actually tried a number of formations but all our best performances have come with 4-4-2. I don''t think anyone agrees with Gerrard left and i very much doubt you''ll see that at the WC. He was just experimenting which lets face it, an international manager gets few chances to do.

Arteta for England? I doubt it because of the stink it would cause. It''s a bit weird why we don''t question it in other sports but are horrified at the suggestion of it happening in football. I don''t see anyone complaining about Kevin Pietersen or Jonathan Trott?

As for managers, I agree with having the best candidate for the job, wherever he''s from - if he''s English, bonus, if not, fine. The same applies at clubs, so why does it have to be different for country? Does the Norwich manager have to come from Norfolk? England then? Oh dear![/quote]Blimey, I upset you didn''t I? I was actually only teasing about the 4-4-2, but my point remains that we have imperfect wingers - none of them can dribble and cross reliably. England are more suited to a Norwich style diamond or a Christmas tree. You say you want the best man for the job. Does that apply to the players too? We could end up a bunch of foreigners in England shirts calling themselves England if that were to happen. I''d prefer the best Englishman for the job. In my opinion this is Roy Hodgson. International football is a simple concept: One country versus another. England = a team of Englishmen. I''m not keen on Kevin Pietersen or particularly Jonathan Trott either but to some degree they are both of English descent - Mikel Arteta isn''t. Andrew Strauss & Matthew Prior were also born in South Africa.

No, not especially upset, i was just amused by the out of date comment!

Best man for the job i was talking about the manager, not the players.

Players have to have an affiliation to the country to play for it, i don''t deny that.

But since international football is country v country, national football is city v city. England = a team of Englishmen so Norwich = a team of Norwichmen!

[quote user="a1canary"]No, not especially upset, i was just amused by the out of date comment!

Best man for the job i was talking about the manager, not the players.

Players have to have an affiliation to the country to play for it, i don''t deny that.

But since international football is country v country, national football is city v city. England = a team of Englishmen so Norwich = a team of Norwichmen![/quote]A team of Northfolk would be terrific. It would certainly bring extra spice to the derby against the Southfolk.

How many Norwich born players can you name who have played Norwich over the years?

I''ll start off with Tom Adeyemi (I think)

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

How many Norwich born players can you name who have played Norwich over the years?

[/quote]

Stephen Grapes

there aren''t many actually born in Norwich but if you widen it to Norfolk there''s Clive Payne (Aylsham) and Maxie Briggs (Bramerton) - all three from the late 60s which dates me doesn''t it [:S]

Relegation was a blessing as it has turned out, so far. It felt pretty bad at the time, it left a bitter taste in my mouth, to use the “great man’s” (BG) words. I couldn’t believe that comment of his. 25,000 of us had a bitter taste after the Charlton match thanks to his flaccid and inept idea of football management.

I have am sure that DS and MWJ looked at each other and realised where the problems really were. The sitting CE, Mr Smiley, Mr “It’s not as bad as it looks”, Mr “We are not near administration” Mr bloody Doncaster. Probably Delia’s best decision has been to sack the board. She did at last see where our problems were coming from. She took the bull by the horns, fired and hired decisively. This would not have happened if we had stayed up.

McNally is what’s led to some strength in the club. Doomcaster would have continued feed Gunn’s ego, tell him he’s doing so well!! He just looked at attendances ignoring results and performances. No ambition concerning football at NCFC. I’m guessing Delia has told McNally to do what ever he needs to do to get the football right. I’m guessing, again, that she doesn’t get involved in the football management side of the club and that she trusted Doncaster to do that for her. He failed. He let his boss down and 25,000 + supporters. Delia has aimed a bit higher with the type of person she trusts with her club this time round.

So, relegation has been a plus. However, if we were in mid table obscurity of the Championship I’m sure we would have been relieved that we stayed up. But I think mid table would be too optimistic with Mr and Mrs Floppy (Gunn/Doncaster) at the helm.

Wonderful season so far but I’m still so nervous.

[quote user="JF"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"][quote user="JF"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"]All this tripe about being able to rebuild in League 1! We could of rebuilt in the Championship similar to what we have done this season and we would of been OK especially with Lamberts man management and motivational skills! I just wish we''d of had Lambert last season cause we''d still be in the Championship now! I think this squad, with Lambert plus a couple or 3 better players which would of been affordable, in the Championship would of been pushing for a top half finish![/quote] Had we stayed in The Championship Gunn would still be Manager and we would now be in the bottom 3.[/quote] If Gunn would of kept us up last season he''d of been a serious contender for manager of the season given the muddle he inherited! Yeah probably without Mcnally coming in we''d of not thought about getting Lambert but we could of still changed clubs policies like loans, getting useless old (never were any good) managers like Roeder and using more academy players in the Championship and still been well away from the relegation places![/quote] Unfortunately it took relegation to force the board to make the changes. Had we of stayed up i think it would of been more of the same until the inevitable relegation but yes any of the rebuilding we done could of been done in The Championship but we just wouldn''t of done it.[/quote]

Yes probably true!

Relegation prompted the resignations of Mumby and Doncaster which was a step forward for the club1

Oh my, so delia delivered us from yet greater ignomany after relegation? Couldn''t possibly comment, but suggest you batten down the hatches!

[quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Stephen Grapes

there aren''t many actually born in Norwich but if you widen it to Norfolk there''s Clive Payne (Aylsham) and Maxie Briggs (Bramerton) - all three from the late 60s which dates me doesn''t it [:S]

[/quote]

It doesn''t date you any more than it does me! We had a player called Paul Wilson who made an appearance in the 70''s who went to school with me and of course although more famous as an ipswich player Clive Woods was born in Norwich and played for us. So that''s three if Tom Adeyemi was.