Sign in to follow this  
Beauseant

Views on Russell Martin

Interested to see what those who went last night thought of him? From the commentary it sounded like he didn''t see much of the ball early on but seemed to get more involved as time went on.

Yes, a bit quiet to start with, but got more involved as it went on and looked very solid. He just slotted in there like he''d been playing there for years. Very impressed.

Limited but solid. We miss the attacking threat that Semi (sometimes) gives us but by the same token I don''t recall any moments where i was concerned about the gaping gap at right back or any goals conceded through defensive lapses and most of the time I didn''t really notice him so i guess that measn he was doing a  good job!

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Limited but solid. We miss the attacking threat that Semi (sometimes) gives us but by the same token I don''t recall any moments where i was concerned about the gaping gap at right back or any goals conceded through defensive lapses and most of the time I didn''t really notice him so i guess that measn he was doing a  good job![/quote]

He seemed to do ok, I  think they got past him once mid way through second half when a really good cross was put in that nobody got on the end of, overall an ok first performance. Drury had his work cut out in the first half with the left  wing, to be I thought we looked better yesterday with lappin at left back and Tom playing in front of him.    

From what I have seen and heard, he looks like another Adam Drury, but for the other side. As someone has said already, we miss the attacking threat, but with time I''m sure he could be trained to work the overlap, just like Edworthy used to.

It struck me that he did what he was asked to do. Not give it away, stay goal side etc''. Once we went one up, the passing confidence increased through the midfield and R Martin''s choices were broadened. We made cagey back passes for 70 mins across the board and he was guilty of never taking anyone on, but the team and Lambert were more patient than me - resulting in a convincing win. Martin was an important part of that. Were I Semmy, I''d take heart from the fact that I may be included should the team go behind, to add some urgency to the right wing...

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]Looked solid and assured! Looks like we might have found our right back equivalent of Drury but without the injuries hopefully![/quote]

Yes I''ll go along with that, Give him a couple of games and I think he will prove very valuable. he looked very confident as the game went on

I think he did just okay...I''ll give him a couple of games to fully fit into his position with those around him. Didn''t do anything massively wrong in defence, nor tremendously exciting in attack. When he was well forward he played safe conservative balls square inside.

Reasonably solid - didnt really notice him much which means that either he did his job quietly and efficiently or Southend didnt really test him.  Probably a bit of both.

I think he''ll be more solid than Semi but less of an attacking option

[quote user="Barclay hero"]

I think he''ll be more solid than Semi but less of an attacking option

[/quote]

Can anyone remind me when Semi provided this mythical attacking option?   Drury has been far more effective at that.

Running fast is not an attacking threat