Sign in to follow this  
canarytim

Gunny's Team ! Give me a break

This myth, that the present side is somehow Bryan Gunn''s team, must stop now. Yes all you on Canary Call & some on here.

It is hugely disrespectful to Paul Lambert, Ian Culverhouse etc who have dragged this club from a potential season fighting relegation to one where promotion is very much a possibility.

As Richad Balls said in his column, that their were 8 changes against Southampton to the team Gunny selected on day one, but to me it goes a lot deeper than that.

1) I have it on good authority that the players signed were primarily John Deehan''s (except Theo). So praise for Askou, Holt, Hughes, ? & blame for Gill, Whaley, ? must rest with Dixie. I think he is ahead there.  

2) "Team Gunn" had 2 league games after Colchester, and we were still awful, This was still Gunny''s team.

3) The team at the start of the season were nowhere near fit enough, down to Gunny. ( I directly asked Paul Lambert this question)

4) We now play a diamond formation, totally Lambert''s inception.

5) We close teams down better and most of all we play the ball a lot  quicker all down to Lambert & the coaching staff. 

6) David McNally after working with some top managers was appalled at what was happening under Gunny.

All these reasons to me are why this team has nothing to do with Bryan Gunn.

Two further things, If Gunny was such a "decent" manager how come he wasn''t considered for say the Lincoln City job ? or any other lower league club. Get in there Bryan and prove us all wrong but no what does he do...... go to work for a Phone company ! 

After all this Gunny is  still a club legend, a slightly tarnished one who should have walked away from Carrow Road at the end of last season. 

[quote user="canarytim"]

This myth, that the present side is somehow Bryan Gunn''s team, must stop now. Yes all you on Canary Call & some on here.

It is hugely disrespectful to Paul Lambert, Ian Culverhouse etc who have dragged this club from a potential season fighting relegation to one where promotion is very much a possibility.

As Richad Balls said in his column, that their were 8 changes against Southampton to the team Gunny selected on day one, but to me it goes a lot deeper than that.

1) I have it on good authority that the players signed were primarily John Deehan''s (except Theo). So praise for Askou, Holt, Hughes, ? & blame for Gill, Whaley, ? must rest with Dixie. I think he is ahead there.  

2) "Team Gunn" had 2 league games after Colchester, and we were still awful, This was still Gunny''s team.

3) The team at the start of the season were nowhere near fit enough, down to Gunny. ( I directly asked Paul Lambert this question)

4) We now play a diamond formation, totally Lambert''s inception.

5) We close teams down better and most of all we play the ball a lot  quicker all down to Lambert & the coaching staff. 

6) David McNally after working with some top managers was appalled at what was happening under Gunny.

All these reasons to me are why this team has nothing to do with Bryan Gunn.

Two further things, If Gunny was such a "decent" manager how come he wasn''t considered for say the Lincoln City job ? or any other lower league club. Get in there Bryan and prove us all wrong but no what does he do...... go to work for a Phone company ! 

After all this Gunny is  still a club legend, a slightly tarnished one who should have walked away from Carrow Road at the end of last season. 

[/quote]

Nail on head Tim.[Y]

It''s about as much Gunn''s team as it is Roeder''s, Grant''s or Worthy''s. In other words, all those previous managers have left us with 1 or 2 players that they signed, but obviously their input and contribution now is nil. I try to remember Bryan Gunn for his great playing career over many years, and try to forget those depressing and disastrous few months when he struggled to do a job well beyond his capabilties.

[quote user="canarytim"]

[/quote]

Hope you don''t mind me asking but on who''s authority were they Deehan''s signings? This is something I''d suspected as it was Deehan''s job to find players but I must have been living with my head in the sand praying this would some day all pass over as I had never actually heard someone say this was the case. Very interesting if in fact true that Deehan had such a huge say in the matter.

[quote user="CallsignViper"][quote user="canarytim"]

[/quote]

Hope you don''t mind me asking but on who''s authority were they Deehan''s signings? This is something I''d suspected as it was Deehan''s job to find players but I must have been living with my head in the sand praying this would some day all pass over as I had never actually heard someone say this was the case. Very interesting if in fact true that Deehan had such a huge say in the matter.

[/quote]Tim just made that up to support his case. Give Gunn credit he brought some good players in, though also some stinkers and Roeder left the squad a hollowed out mess. At least we started with a team.But there is more to management than that. Psychologically City under Gunn were like a puch drunk boxer - there for the taking - no fight, no spark, nothing. Tactically we didn''t have a plan A let alone a plan b.Colchester was probably the worst performance by a City team ever. Would we be second now if he stayed - no way. Would we have been relegated if Lambert cam in last year - maybe not.

I stand by what I was told. ( A very good source who I do not wish to get into trouble by naming them)

Yes I suppose  Gunny actually "signed" them but from what I am led to believe John Deehan did all the

" leg work"  and the signings were made on his recomendation.

These players, among others, were earmarked well before we were relegated from a dossier compiled by Deehan. 

I am just saying  that when supporters give Gunny all the credit for these signings I do not believe that to be the case. 

There''s a school of thought on here that the buck stops at the top and ultimately Delia Smith is responsible for everything.

So let''s have a chorus of "Delia''s Barmy Army" for Holt[H]

And a round of "Delia Out" for Theo[:''(]

[;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

There''s a school of thought on here that the buck stops at the top and ultimately Delia Smith is responsible for everything.

[;)]

[/quote]

Go stuff yourself Nutty, Next you''ll be saying we want her to stay

[quote user="pete_norw"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[;)]

[/quote]

Go stuff yourself Nutty, Next you''ll be saying we want her to stay

[/quote]

Oops didn''t read your bottom line, But still Delia out

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[;)]

[/quote]

Nutty can you please tell me what is the reverse is"Nutty baiting"? Call me old fashioned but your post seems to seek confrontation.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[;)]

[/quote]

Nutty can you please tell me what is the reverse is"Nutty baiting"? Call me old fashioned but your post seems to seek confrontation.

[/quote]

Attention more like.....''City'' is his life....and bogs and bingo.....and numbers.....and raising cash for charity....which isn''t a bad thing.

[quote user="canarytim"]

I stand by what I was told. ( A very good source who I do not wish to get into trouble by naming them)

Yes I suppose  Gunny actually "signed" them but from what I am led to believe John Deehan did all the

These players, among others, were earmarked well before we were relegated from a dossier compiled by Deehan. 

I am just saying  that when supporters give Gunny all the credit for these signings I do not believe that to be the case. 

[/quote]I totally take your side on this one tim, whether your source is reliable or not.We brought Deehan in from Birmingham City. When he left, Birminghams last words in reference to the man were of very high praise, and along the lines of him doing a ''fantastic'' job for them. They also said that they were inable to persuade him to stay when Norwich came offerring a job, despite however much they valued him. He had compiled many reports in his time at Birmingham, and you''d have to be both daft and dumb to think that that had little/no influence in our activity in the transfer market after he arrived.Make no mistake, Deehan is a VERY competent scout, and although it''s probable that Gunn may have had some input, make no mistake that Deehan, as chief scout, played a massive part in identifying and bringing in the players that we brought in the summer (and January).Gunn deserves little credit in acquiring the players our fans have sung endless praises to Gunn for. As far as bringing these players in, bringing in Deehan to the club as chief scout was as close as Gunn ever came (and was probably best move he made during his time here).

[quote user="Big Bad John"][quote user="canarytim"]

[/quote]

I totally take your side on this one tim, whether your source is reliable or not.

We brought Deehan in from Birmingham City. When he left, Birminghams last words in reference to the man were of very high praise, and along the lines of him doing a ''fantastic'' job for them. They also said that they were inable to persuade him to stay when Norwich came offerring a job, despite however much they valued him. He had compiled many reports in his time at Birmingham, and you''d have to be both daft and dumb to think that that had little/no influence in our activity in the transfer market after he arrived.

Make no mistake, Deehan is a VERY competent scout, and although it''s probable that Gunn may have had some input, make no mistake that Deehan, as chief scout, played a massive part in identifying and bringing in the players that we brought in the summer (and January).

Gunn deserves little credit in acquiring the players our fans have sung endless praises to Gunn for. As far as bringing these players in, bringing in Deehan to the club as chief scout was as close as Gunn ever came (and was probably best move he made during his time here).
[/quote]

Very interesting....I wonder if the ''true fans'' whose lives are nothing but ''City''.... would care to comment on this most incredible thingy? 

[quote user="Big Bad John"][quote user="canarytim"]

[/quote]

I totally take your side on this one tim, whether your source is reliable or not.

We brought Deehan in from Birmingham City. When he left, Birminghams last words in reference to the man were of very high praise, and along the lines of him doing a ''fantastic'' job for them. They also said that they were inable to persuade him to stay when Norwich came offerring a job, despite however much they valued him. He had compiled many reports in his time at Birmingham, and you''d have to be both daft and dumb to think that that had little/no influence in our activity in the transfer market after he arrived.

Make no mistake, Deehan is a VERY competent scout, and although it''s probable that Gunn may have had some input, make no mistake that Deehan, as chief scout, played a massive part in identifying and bringing in the players that we brought in the summer (and January).

Gunn deserves little credit in acquiring the players our fans have sung endless praises to Gunn for. As far as bringing these players in, bringing in Deehan to the club as chief scout was as close as Gunn ever came (and was probably best move he made during his time here).
[/quote]

I am struggling to find Birmingham City on John Deehan''s CV.I knew he worked for Lincoln and Northampton in recent times and am aware he is now at Kettering.

My memory recalls him being at Lincoln and Northampton up to about 2007 and Gunn appointed him as Chief scout in January 2009.

Wilipedia for what it is worth makes reference to being at Bolton before arriving back here.I am not saying you are wrong BBJ but where did your info come from about the Brum?

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Big Bad John"][quote user="canarytim"]

[/quote]I totally take your side on this one tim, whether your source is reliable or not.We brought Deehan in from Birmingham City. When he left, Birminghams last words in reference to the man were of very high praise, and along the lines of him doing a ''fantastic'' job for them. They also said that they were inable to persuade him to stay when Norwich came offerring a job, despite however much they valued him. He had compiled many reports in his time at Birmingham, and you''d have to be both daft and dumb to think that that had little/no influence in our activity in the transfer market after he arrived.Make no mistake, Deehan is a VERY competent scout, and although it''s probable that Gunn may have had some input, make no mistake that Deehan, as chief scout, played a massive part in identifying and bringing in the players that we brought in the summer (and January).Gunn deserves little credit in acquiring the players our fans have sung endless praises to Gunn for. As far as bringing these players in, bringing in Deehan to the club as chief scout was as close as Gunn ever came (and was probably best move he made during his time here).[/quote]

I am struggling to find Birmingham City on John Deehan''s CV.I knew he worked for Lincoln and Northampton in recent times and am aware he is now at Kettering.

My memory recalls him being at Lincoln and Northampton up to about 2007 and Gunn appointed him as Chief scout in January 2009.

Wilipedia for what it is worth makes reference to being at Bolton before arriving back here.I am not saying you are wrong BBJ but where did your info come from about the Brum?

[/quote]Well, i''m not great at searching for proof across the internet like others on here TIL, but for what it''s worth, this is what i can find :http://www.canaries.co.uk/page/NewsDetails/0,,10355~1527581,00.htmlAfter briefly scanning through, notable quotes would be :"he knows the Championship well like I do, having been out on the road

watching teams and his previous employers at Birmingham City very

kindly let him come to work with us again.""He said the support of John Deehan, who has left a scouting role with Birmingham City to rejoin the Canaries. would be vital""and with John''s experience of doing the same thing for another Championship club "

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[;)]

[/quote]

[/quote]

OK........ You''re old fashioned[sn]

It would have been confrontational if I had just put  "So let''s have a chorus of "Delia''s Barmy Army" for Holt" Which Pete read and reacted confrontationally to[:@]

But I guess it wouldn''t have been confrontational if I had just put "And a round of "Delia Out" for Theo"[:''(] Or not to those who want Delia out anyway. And the others don''t really matter.

But I thought the whole thing was a balanced post[H] What my old nan used to call "six to one and half a dozen to the other"[;)]

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[;)]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Attention more like.....''City'' is his life....and bogs and bingo.....and numbers.....and luckily being in a position to help loads of willing and generous folk raise money for charity[/quote]

Yeah.. that''s me mello.. but you forgot the 5 grandchildren, the music, the karaoke, the quizzes, the garden, the dart team, the football, the crib team..... and I love my life[Y]