Sign in to follow this  
motley7

"Best team in the division"

Driving back from London last night I listened to the game on BBC Essex, where the pundits were talking about Tilson''s scouting report that had apparently dubbed Norwich the "best team in the division." Interesting stuff I thought and great to get some recognition. Having watched both Leeds and Charlton, I certainly think we play better stuff then them, but the table doesn''t lie- we will have to take more points off the top teams if we are to be serious contenders (primarily because noone else is!)     

If we had the management we have in place now at the start of the season, who''s to say we wouldn''t be right up with Leeds?

[quote user="a1canary"]If we had the management we have in place now at the start of the season, who''s to say we wouldn''t be right up with Leeds?[/quote]

Agreed, Gunn put together a great squad of players and if Gunn could have been persuaded to leave before the Colchester game we may have picked up more points under Lambert. Equally, if only Lambert hadn''t stubbornly cold shouldered Hoolahan in particular, Russell and Doherty we would have picked up points in vital games like the away match at MK Dons when these players weren''t even in the squad ! Ah, if only........ 

[quote user="Captain Pugwash"]

[quote user="a1canary"]If we had the management we have in place now at the start of the season, who''s to say we wouldn''t be right up with Leeds?[/quote]

Agreed, Gunn put together a great squad of players and if Gunn could have been persuaded to leave before the Colchester game we may have picked up more points under Lambert. Equally, if only Lambert hadn''t stubbornly cold shouldered Hoolahan in particular, Russell and Doherty we would have picked up points in vital games like the away match at MK Dons when these players weren''t even in the squad ! Ah, if only........ 

[/quote]

The Hoolahan,  Doherty and Russell points are very good ones Captain. I am convinced we would have gone on to win that game at MK Dons with them in the squad. MK Dons were not a good side but after Hughes went off we lost the midfield. That game should also answer the question about where Spillane/Askou or Nelson/Askou is as good as Doc/Askou. Doc is the mainstay of our defence and Lambert had, by all accounts told him his days were numbered. Much to the delight of most on here! That being part of Lamberts game plan to get The Doc back and focussed after his nightmare start as captain is a distinct possibility. But however Lambert ended up with this team being his first choice we should be thankful that it happened. Lambert takes full credit for it and long may Doc, Russell and Hoolahan continue[Y]

Ahhh... but who''s to say those 3 players would be performing to the level they now are if they hadn''t had that spell out of the side?? None of them were in particularly great form until they were dropped then returned to the side.

Yes Lambo, I made that point, but it''s also fair to point out that Lambert hasn''t waved a magic wand and made them better players.

[quote user="Captain Pugwash"]

[/quote]

Answe me this Puggy, how many players that Gunn signed, actually played in the last 3 games?

I think it''s fairly clear who the best team in the division is at this stage, by a fairly comfortable margin. However I think that they are looking in their rearview mirror and it may just unsettle them a bit to see us coming up behind so emphatically, especially after the scare we gave them at Elland Road.

[quote user="motley7"]

Driving back from London last night I listened to the game on BBC Essex, where the pundits were talking about Tilson''s scouting report that had apparently dubbed Norwich the "best team in the division." Interesting stuff I thought and great to get some recognition. Having watched both Leeds and Charlton, I certainly think we play better stuff then them, but the table doesn''t lie- we will have to take more points off the top teams if we are to be serious contenders (primarily because noone else is!)     

[/quote]With respect, how many times have you seen Leeds this season? Once? Twice?We were awful against you and still won. It was arguably one of our three worst performances of the season, certainly attacking wise.You play some lovely stuff without doubt but does that mean you''re "better" or just more entertaining?  For me the "best team" is the team that defends well, creates chances, scores goals and has a fighting spirit and determination. The team that goes from a typical, draining FA Cup tie against Kettering to Oldham two days later on a Tuesday night in the pissing rain in front of 8 thousand fans, plays it''s 2nd team and runs out comfortable winners.We, Leeds, are currently the "best team in the league". We''re 10 pts better off than you, have a far superior goal difference and a game in hand.(Still think you''ll go up in 2nd though, you''re better than Charlton for me).

Yes, Leeds are currently ''the best team'' - thats why youre top

However doesnt it occur to you that you didnt play well becuase we didnt let you?  That we deserved a point but a freak goal (which it was) ended up being the difference?  We''ve played a lot better than that too....

I dont think the top 3 will change much now - its just a case of which order teams will finish.  Leeds will do well to keep their current run going, but your promotion will be well deserved if you do 

I`m not going to argue this. For me Leeds have set a benchmark that everyone needs to step up to. Yes we played very very well against them but still lost. Leeds have a good / diverse and more importantly large squad. Add onto that Simon Grayson is a very competant manager that has experience of getting teams out of this division. Having said that every team will suffer a dip in form, Leeds haven`t had this yet. However I think we all agree that League 1 has about 6 decent teams (Leeds, Charlton, Norwich, Huddersfield, MK Dons, Southampton, maybe Coll who) and maybe a couple of others on their day. Even if Leeds dip in form consists of -15 to 20% they will probabaly still have enough to see off most teams in this division. I still think we will finish 2nd. I`m hoping that Charltons team are a little to young and green to push on but I guess time will tell.

[quote user="kiwigreenandgold"]I think it''s fairly clear who the best team in the division is at this stage, by a fairly comfortable margin. However I think that they are looking in their rearview mirror and it may just unsettle them a bit to see us coming up behind so emphatically, especially after the scare we gave them at Elland Road.[/quote]I see you dropping more points than us before the season''s end.Great teams are built on great defences and ours is unrivalled in this league this season. That''s what''s going to get us promoted this season. Tbh, we deserve it, we''ve had enough of this horrible little league. Bates has done his best to completely mess us up with his managerial choices, stinginess and financial idiocy. We should never have been here in the first place (Wise brought in to keep us in the Championship ffs) and we shouldn''t have been here for longer than one season (would''ve finished comfortably in 2nd place had it not been for Bates and the -15pts punishment).Something about this season just points to promotion. We''ve been getting the luck that other teams were getting at our expense the past two seasons. Beckford''s winner against you, Gradel''s against Orient we just weren''t getting that before and all title winning teams have that.Good luck to you, you''ve got good fans and play nice football, have you got the squad and stamina for a full season of it though? Probably, like I say, I haven''t seen another opposing team better than you this season.

[quote user="Barclay hero"]

Yes, Leeds are currently ''the best team'' - thats why youre top

However doesnt it occur to you that you didnt play well becuase we didnt let you?  That we deserved a point but a freak goal (which it was) ended up being the difference?  We''ve played a lot better than that too....

I dont think the top 3 will change much now - its just a case of which order teams will finish.  Leeds will do well to keep their current run going, but your promotion will be well deserved if you do 

[/quote]Your manager said it was the best you''d played under him (at the time, ofcourse).You were good, we were poor. Don''t think it had much to do with how you were set out tbf, we just never got going. Spent the whole match hoofing the ball which isn''t us really. It had a draw written all over it and the stats said the same (7 shots on target each, 52% hoofy posession to us). You deserved the point but, to use that tiresome football adage, "at the end of the day", which manager put on a winger and a striker for the last 15mins and looked to win it? We''ve only nicked points that we probably didn''t deserve twice this season, from you and Lleyton Orient (who came to famous Elland Rd with a -11 GD and played like bloody Barca! We''re used to it after three years though). But you need to do that in any league if you want to be champions.We will need to do well to keep our run going but so will you? You only need to look to our record last season to see how long our form has been going. Grayson''s record is phenomonal. 7 losses in 43 games with a 65% win ratio. Whilst there''ll still be a couple of wobbles coming up no doubt, it''s highly doubtful there''ll be the collapse many opposing supporters are hoping for, we haven''t lost two on the trot since february, have only conceded more than one goal once this season (two, in our only loss vs Milwall) and kept 11 clean sheets.Bates has finally got us a competent manager (Blackwell, Wise and McAllister being the previous idiots) and we are now fulfilling our potential. Be thankful Bowkett and Delia didn''t take so long with yours and look to have saved you the misery of three years down here!

[quote user="Mutley"]I`m not going to argue this. For me Leeds have set a benchmark that everyone needs to step up to. Yes we played very very well against them but still lost. Leeds have a good / diverse and more importantly large squad. Add onto that Simon Grayson is a very competant manager that has experience of getting teams out of this division. Having said that every team will suffer a dip in form, Leeds haven`t had this yet. However I think we all agree that League 1 has about 6 decent teams (Leeds, Charlton, Norwich, Huddersfield, MK Dons, Southampton, maybe Coll who) and maybe a couple of others on their day. Even if Leeds dip in form consists of -15 to 20% they will probabaly still have enough to see off most teams in this division. I still think we will finish 2nd. I`m hoping that Charltons team are a little to young and green to push on but I guess time will tell.[/quote]Lots of Leeds fans would disagree.We had a run of pretty awful performances in sept/oct. Carlisle (D), Charlton (D), yourselves(W) and Milwall (L) in succession, yet our defence insured we only lost one. Most Leeds fans would say that was our "dip".

I''m starting to form the opinion that the more games Leeds win, the better our automatic promotion prospects become ... not including the return fixture at Carrow Road of course [;)].If we keep winning and start to close the gap to Leeds ... fine, i may change my opinion, but i sincerely wish that Leeds would beat all of our promotion rivals, starting with Huddersfield on Saturday.

[quote user="Henry"]I''m starting to form the opinion that the more games Leeds win, the better our automatic promotion prospects become ... not including the return fixture at Carrow Road of course [;)].If we keep winning and start to close the gap to Leeds ... fine, i may change my opinion, but i sincerely wish that Leeds would beat all of our promotion rivals, starting with Huddersfield on Saturday.[/quote]We owe them one Henry, beat us twice last season and laughably their whole season collapsed after the second one (they brought two DVD''s out of the wins).We''re unbeaten at home this season and their away form is awful so there should only be one result. But they live to play us in this league and are desperate for a rivalry that doesn''t really exist (wont stop there being 38k there on saturday though [;)]).They''ll put in more effort than they''ve put in all season but we''ll be ready, Grayson will insist on it.

[quote user="WW"][quote user="Henry"]I''m starting to form the opinion that the more games Leeds win, the better our automatic promotion prospects become ... not including the return fixture at Carrow Road of course [;)].If we keep winning and start to close the gap to Leeds ... fine, i may change my opinion, but i sincerely wish that Leeds would beat all of our promotion rivals, starting with Huddersfield on Saturday.[/quote]We owe them one Henry, beat us twice last season and laughably their whole season collapsed after the second one (they brought two DVD''s out of the wins).We''re unbeaten at home this season and their away form is awful so there should only be one result. But they live to play us in this league and are desperate for a rivalry that doesn''t really exist (wont stop there being 38k there on saturday though [;)]).They''ll put in more effort than they''ve put in all season but we''ll be ready, Grayson will insist on it.[/quote]I know its an early kick off as a couple of mates from work are going. Any idea if its a sky game? Would be good to watch before the Oldham game in squares with a pre match pint or three [B]

[quote user="Henry"][quote user="WW"][quote user="Henry"]I''m starting to form the opinion that the more games Leeds win, the better our automatic promotion prospects become ... not including the return fixture at Carrow Road of course [;)].If we keep winning and start to close the gap to Leeds ... fine, i may change my opinion, but i sincerely wish that Leeds would beat all of our promotion rivals, starting with Huddersfield on Saturday.[/quote]We owe them one Henry, beat us twice last season and laughably their whole season collapsed after the second one (they brought two DVD''s out of the wins).We''re unbeaten at home this season and their away form is awful so there should only be one result. But they live to play us in this league and are desperate for a rivalry that doesn''t really exist (wont stop there being 38k there on saturday though [;)]).They''ll put in more effort than they''ve put in all season but we''ll be ready, Grayson will insist on it.[/quote]I know its an early kick off as a couple of mates from work are going. Any idea if its a sky game? Would be good to watch before the Oldham game in squares with a pre match pint or three [B][/quote]No mate, not on Sky.12 o''clock kickoff for obvious reasons. Last year those cheeky terriers took a tin of blue and white paint to Billy Bremner''s statue outside the ground, bless em. It''s kind of like an attention starved child doing silly things to try and impress you. [:|]

If its any consilation WW were not that keen on blue and white either!! Reminds us too much of our simpler inbred Ipswich friends from down the road!!!

Good posts, I think most of us are in agreement that Leeds are ''The Team'' in League One this year, without many questions. As WW has said, they have got results when maybe they didnt deserve them, and their defence has prevented them from losing games.That being said, I think they will slip up, but not enough for anyone to topple them from the top of the division, we may get close, Huddersfield or Charlton may get close, but I think that 1st place is only theirs to lose now. Realistically that''s not going to happen, Grayson is way to good a manager to let that happen.In terms of entertainment though, how could Norwich not be the best team in the division!? In the matches I''ve been to at Carrow road this year I''m yet to see less than 5 goals! I think we''ll get 2nd, personally. But theres a few twists and turns yet, I feel.

WW, you know we have gotten a firm grip on your coat-tails now and for all your rhetoric we are working our  way up to your soft dangly bits. Watch out.

[quote user="WW"][quote user="kiwigreenandgold"]I think it''s fairly clear who the best team in the division is at this stage, by a fairly comfortable margin. However I think that they are looking in their rearview mirror and it may just unsettle them a bit to see us coming up behind so emphatically, especially after the scare we gave them at Elland Road.[/quote]I see you dropping more points than us before the season''s end.Great teams are built on great defences and ours is unrivalled in this league this season. That''s what''s going to get us promoted this season. Tbh, we deserve it, we''ve had enough of this horrible little league. Bates has done his best to completely mess us up with his managerial choices, stinginess and financial idiocy. We should never have been here in the first place (Wise brought in to keep us in the Championship ffs) and we shouldn''t have been here for longer than one season (would''ve finished comfortably in 2nd place had it not been for Bates and the -15pts punishment).Something about this season just points to promotion. We''ve been getting the luck that other teams were getting at our expense the past two seasons. Beckford''s winner against you, Gradel''s against Orient we just weren''t getting that before and all title winning teams have that.Good luck to you, you''ve got good fans and play nice football, have you got the squad and stamina for a full season of it though? Probably, like I say, I haven''t seen another opposing team better than you this season.

[/quote]#

does anyone not agree that it is so much more refreshin to hear a leeds fan blamin bates for the points deduction, and not the FA.

i think leeds will run away with the league, as they should have done every year but just havent had the right manager. and i think we will run away with second place as charlton will lose their way, as they have been so close to doing so recently.

also, i just feel that every time norwich play, they are the favourites for the win. lambert has instilled confidence and the belief that the team can do better than before.

end of essay.

Its actually nice to see a fan from a rival team come on here and talk some sense instead of just gobbing off!

[quote user="burn down the ipswich"]does anyone not agree that it is so much more refreshin to hear a leeds fan blamin bates for the points deduction, and not the FA. [/quote]Actually, every single Leeds fan I''ve met (and I''ve met a few, used to go out with ''one of them'') blames Bates for the situation they''re in, including the points deduction and their floundering in League 1 the last few years when they should have been looking for an instant return to the Championship.  Never met one who thinks the points deduction was unjust - its easy from the outside, just reading the odd article, to see how crooked Bates is, Leeds fans themselves know more of his dodgy dealings...For what its worth, I think Leeds will be champions, but I see Charlton wobbling after christmas, and possibly before... we need to make sure we don''t do the same!

Grayson will end up at a Premier League club, whether its Leeds or not is the question.

What will Leeds'' plans be for CCC football next season if they go up? Consolidation? Or an immediate go at promotion? Will Beckford stay if they are promoted? Will they be able to keep hold of players like Snodgrass?

I would think that, if we do go up, the club will be looking to beef up the squad a bit more, continue to seek investment and get a good, steady top 10 place before our push the year after. Of course, if it (promotion) comes, it comes-but I remember the Derby Manager when they had that awful Prem season admitting, even when they went up, it mighyt have come a year too soon-"but we''ll take it".

Martin looks a good (probable) purchase, we haven''t had a good right back since Eddy. They''re the players we need-solid, experienced, can do the job. Onward-and yes, Leeds and us, top 2, probably that order.

Very good thread this.

I would say that over the course of the season so far it cannot be disputed that Leeds have been the best team in the league.

Over the past 2 months however (since Lambert has settled on his favourite team and formation and the confidence levels have been cranked up), we have matched them point for point pretty much. They will win the league comfortably, but I''m convinced that we will pick up a similar number of points to them between now and the end of the season and they will not finish more than 13 points (the 10 + a game in hand they have now) ahead of us.

Leeds may well reach 100 points, but if we reach 90 you won''t hear any complaints from me.

Also, I saw a post earlier saying that Leeds are likely to be uncomfortable because of our emphatic form. I doubt this is true. They are extending there lead over everyone but us, I imagine Charlton are feeling the pressure, but Leeds don''t need to worry about anyone else so long as they keep winning, one defeat every 5 or 6 games won''t stop them getting promoted given they have such a big advantage. 

Leeds have looked good all season and their defence is what is really helping them win the games. They were extremelylucky to have beaten us. To say that Leeds never really got going, and that they played rubbish is quite unfiar on the Norwich team. They never got going because we didn''t let them. We deserved a point, if not 3. I feel that Leeds and Norwich will be in the top 2 come the end of the seaon. However i am unsure of what team will be where. I think that if we beat Leeds when they come to Carrow Road then i don''t see any reason why we can''t push them all the way for 1st place. Even though Leeds are getting the points at the minute, they are not playing anywhere as good as they were at the start of the seson, and eventually will begin to drop points. And i don''t see them being able to beat us at our own ground, which we are now turning into a fortress after a long time of trying. Altogether, i think that the season will finish very closely between us and Leeds and i think the winner of the game at Carrow Road will be at the top of the league at the end of the season.

Come on City !!!

[quote user="kiwigreenandgold"]WW, you know we have gotten a firm grip on your coat-tails now and for all your rhetoric we are working our  way up to your soft dangly bits. Watch out.[/quote]Grayson has those soft and dangly''s firmly encased in a cast iron chastity belt. We might give you a little peak before the season''s end, but ultimately they''ll be tantalisingly out of your reach! [;)]

[quote user="Old Shuck"]Grayson will end up at a Premier League club, whether its Leeds or not is the question.

What will Leeds'' plans be for CCC football next season if they go up? Consolidation? Or an immediate go at promotion? Will Beckford stay if they are promoted? Will they be able to keep hold of players like Snodgrass?

I would think that, if we do go up, the club will be looking to beef up the squad a bit more, continue to seek investment and get a good, steady top 10 place before our push the year after. Of course, if it (promotion) comes, it comes-but I remember the Derby Manager when they had that awful Prem season admitting, even when they went up, it mighyt have come a year too soon-"but we''ll take it".

Martin looks a good (probable) purchase, we haven''t had a good right back since Eddy. They''re the players we need-solid, experienced, can do the job. Onward-and yes, Leeds and us, top 2, probably that order.[/quote]Probably. Fat Mike Ashley wanted him for the fat Geordies in the summer.I think he''s got a fair bit to learn yet but he does appear to have the magic touch. Very likeable bloke aswell, probably the most likeable manager we''ve ever had. Very humble and down to earth.As far as our plans next season, we''re a very very similar outffit to Leicester and look where they are. Realistically, think we''d be looking at mid table or just lowerthough. Yourselves?As far as Beckford goes this is almost certainly his last season in a Leeds shirt. He''s got a nob of an agent and we''ve got a stingy nob of a chairman. Jermaine does his job very well and, believe it or not, is also a likeable, shy fella. He''s 26 now and this is probably his last chance to earn some big money. Fair play to him he hasn''t sulked even though he wanted out in the summer and he''s actually showing a better alround game this season. He''ll go, probably to a decent Championship/low premiership side, with my best wishes.Snoddy''s going neywhere lad. Got a long contract, is intelligent and not money hungry and loves it here. Any chance of Hoolahan leaving you in the summer? I''d imagine there''ll be some interest in Martin too (Birmingham might want him, their type of player)?

[quote user="lynn canary"]Leeds have looked good all season and their defence is what is really helping them win the games. They were extremelylucky to have beaten us. To say that Leeds never really got going, and that they played rubbish is quite unfiar on the Norwich team. They never got going because we didn''t let them. We deserved a point, if not 3. I feel that Leeds and Norwich will be in the top 2 come the end of the seaon. However i am unsure of what team will be where. I think that if we beat Leeds when they come to Carrow Road then i don''t see any reason why we can''t push them all the way for 1st place. Even though Leeds are getting the points at the minute, they are not playing anywhere as good as they were at the start of the seson, and eventually will begin to drop points. And i don''t see them being able to beat us at our own ground, which we are now turning into a fortress after a long time of trying. Altogether, i think that the season will finish very closely between us and Leeds and i think the winner of the game at Carrow Road will be at the top of the league at the end of the season.

Come on City !!![/quote]We''re currently playing the best we''ve played all season. Our performance''s have picked up since those back to back 4-0 wins. We look assured and comfortable at the moment.Tough game against the try-hards on saturday though. Can see a draw and maybe even a defeat! [:O] Proper cup final for them.