Sign in to follow this  
canaries1985

will we catch Charlton

In early September we were 10 points behind Charlton and now we are 4. With a load of Christmas games coming up will we overtake them by January and if so how will we deal with the pressure of being in the top two? We dont want it to boil down to the Charlton game in April so winning our away games is vital

[quote user="canaries1985"]In early September we were 10 points behind Charlton and now we are 4. With a load of Christmas games coming up will we overtake them by January and if so how will we deal with the pressure of being in the top two? We dont want it to boil down to the Charlton game in April so winning our away games is vital[/quote]Wouldn''t it be nice to go there and beat them on the way to winning promotion, on the same ground we were relegated though ?

One factor may be whether Sullivan and Gold finally give up on the idea of West Ham and use buy Charlton instead. If that were to happen - and happen soon - then there might be extra money for Parkinson to spend in the January transfer window, or at least financial security to mean players were not sold to make ends meet.

Of course we can catch Charlton, im actually more concerned about Huddersfield being a real threat to our automatic promotion ambitions, more so than Charlton.

Think I read Charlton may have to sell a couple of key players to balance the books in January - while we may just off load squad members.  If that is the case Charlton may be more likely to drop off in the new year.

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"]im actually more concerned about Huddersfield being a real threat to our automatic promotion ambitions.
[/quote]

Hudddersfield are likely to be let down by their pretty awful away form

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"]Think I read Charlton may have to sell a couple of key players to balance the books in January - while we may just off load squad members.  If that is the case Charlton may be more likely to drop off in the new year.[/quote]

Well, the latest word from the Charlton chairman (today) is not:

---CHARLTON have reassured fans that they will not be forced to sell

their star players during the January transfer window.

The cash-strapped Addicks are up for sale and takeover talks are

continuing with a number of interested parties, though those

discussions - ongoing for most of 2009 - have yet to reach a successful

conclusion.

A group of Charlton directors poured £7million into the club in September, ensuring its continued stability.

But with no sale agreed - former Birmingham owner David Gold is among

those in discussions to buy The Valley outfit - there are fears manager

Phil Parkinson could be forced to sell his star players in January.

The likes of Jonjo Shelvey, who has been linked with Chelsea, and Nicky

Bailey, who has scored seven goals this term, are among those who could

attract interest from Premier League and Championship sides.

But while Parkinson won’t be given any money to strengthen in January,

chairman Richard Murray is confident the club will not have to sell its

star players.

“We won’t have money to spend in January but we’re not under any pressure to sell,” Murray told the South London Press.

“The key is for us to keep hold of our best players. Money is tight for

a lot of clubs so teams in the leagues above us will be looking down

for bargains in our division, but we don’t have to sell anyone and

we’re not trying to do so.

“My aim is to keep this squad together for the whole season because

that is what will give us our best chance of winning promotion.”

---

Obviously if that was an NCFC spokesperson they would be instantly disbelieved, but as it''s the chairman of another club they are plainly speaking nothing but the total truth!

[quote user="First Wizard"]We could top them in two games...........in theory.................4 points is bugger all![/quote]Yes, and no. 4 points is still 4 points.We need to win all our home games, and pick up the extra points to top Charlton away. Charlton have been playing very well which does worry me. Leeds are too far gone now I think

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"]Of course we can catch Charlton, im actually more concerned about Huddersfield being a real threat to our automatic promotion ambitions, more so than Charlton.
[/quote]

no chance they are only good at home their away form means they will finish about 6th

Why can''t we catch Leeds as well? 10 points can easily be caught up as we are not even halfway through the season. If my memory serves me right, didn''t Wolves and Sheff United blow huge points lead in the Championship in recent years?

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"]

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"]im actually more concerned about Huddersfield being a real threat to our automatic promotion ambitions.
[/quote]

should of read all the post

Hudddersfield are likely to be let down by their pretty awful away form

[/quote]

[quote user="Paul Wray"]Why can''t we catch Leeds as well? 10 points can easily be caught up as we are not even halfway through the season. If my memory serves me right, didn''t Wolves and Sheff United blow huge points lead in the Championship in recent years?
[/quote]

We can''t catch Leeds because they don''t drop points. I think they''ll lose another 3 league games all season at the very most. We''ll probably lose about the same so it''ll come down to draws and i don''t see them getting many of them either.

I notice Beckford was absent from the starting line-up yesterday. Talk of him refusing a new contract so is he on his way in January? There are so many games left, it''s far from as clear cut as saying they will only lose three games. They haven''t played Southampton H & A who are certainly in a false position, They have us and Charlton away. The distraction of a possible Man Utd FA Cup tie. Their fans'' expectations… Plenty of twists and turns yet. I just don''t see why we should just settle for trying to catch Charlton. Aim for the top. I''m sure Lambert will be thinking the same and so he and the squad should be.

I think we can but it will go to the wire. a few weeks ago charlton had quite a wobble but have been getting results over the past 2 to 3 weeks again.They have a good crop of youngsters and may be vulnerable to losing them more than us. In addition injuries could play a major part for both sides we would have a slim chance iof either Holt, askou or Hoolahan had long term knocks. I do feel we have a very good momentum now though and if it were to be the playoffs would fancy us to beat any other league 1 side

[quote user="canaries1985"]In early September we were 10 points behind Charlton and now we are 4. With a load of Christmas games coming up will we overtake them by January and if so how will we deal with the pressure of being in the top two? We dont want it to boil down to the Charlton game in April so winning our away games is vital[/quote]

one thing to remember is our next 4 league matches 3 are at home. so we have to believe we can do it, the away one''s are winnable too

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="canaries1985"]In early September we were 10 points behind Charlton and now we are 4. With a load of Christmas games coming up will we overtake them by January and if so how will we deal with the pressure of being in the top two? We dont want it to boil down to the Charlton game in April so winning our away games is vital[/quote]

one thing to remember is our next 4 league matches 3 are at home. so we have to believe we can do it, the away one''s are winnable too

[/quote]Shame 3 of the next 4 games for Leeds and Charlton are also at home.

Why do you assume that Leeds can''t maintain their current form but Norwich can??

Oh and to answer an earlier post - Beckford was rested at Oldham for tomorrows match against Huddersfield

I really have no idea. I was hoping that we would have overtaken them already, to be honest. They seem to keep hanging on in there. My greatest fear is that we might just miss out on one of those priceless automatic places and be forced to suffer the lottery of the play-offs.

[quote user="EYEBALL119"]Why do you assume that Leeds can''t maintain their current form but Norwich can?? Oh and to answer an earlier post - Beckford was rested at Oldham for tomorrows match against Huddersfield[/quote]

Because your team has imploded the last two seasons added with the time that you have now been in the league. It is more psychological than losing form on the pitch and yes if we are not promoted this season we will be under the same pressure next season.

[quote user="Paul Wray"]I notice Beckford was absent from the starting line-up yesterday. Talk of him refusing a new contract so is he on his way in January? There are so many games left, it''s far from as clear cut as saying they will only lose three games. They haven''t played Southampton H & A who are certainly in a false position, They have us and Charlton away. The distraction of a possible Man Utd FA Cup tie. Their fans'' expectations… Plenty of twists and turns yet. I just don''t see why we should just settle for trying to catch Charlton. Aim for the top. I''m sure Lambert will be thinking the same and so he and the squad should be.[/quote]We rested him for the Huddersfield game.Oldham''s "the coldest ground in the league" and he''s a soft southerner. He loves a strop and a sulk, we get one big one out if him every 7 games or so. His last one was against Oldham in the cup a month or so back where it was freezing and he was booted all over the shop by their CB''s and didn''t get one chance and sulked like a little girl. So rather than risk him getting the same treatment and a possible injury or red card on Tuesday Grayson stuck him on the bench and used his squad.Nothing more to it than that, I''m afraid. Is there a possibility of Beckford going in january? That would depend on how great a lead we may have by then. Bates is a money hungry, swindling shite and if he sees, say a 15pt gap from 3rd place in January there''s every chance he''ll look to cash in. Talk about ambition, eh? If he does choose to do that it could destroy the morale of the side and make results much harder to come by and the collapse that you and Charlton are hoping for could very well happen. Or someone in our squad could rise to the occasion or we get a decent striker in on loan and go on to win the league with an extra £4m in the bank. [;)] (The former would happen, imo).

[quote user=" Baldrick"]

[quote user="EYEBALL119"]Why do you assume that Leeds can''t maintain their current form but Norwich can?? Oh and to answer an earlier post - Beckford was rested at Oldham for tomorrows match against Huddersfield[/quote]

Because your team has imploded the last two seasons added with the time that you have now been in the league. It is more psychological than losing form on the pitch and yes if we are not promoted this season we will be under the same pressure next season.

[/quote]Very true. But the past two seasons have had all sorts going on and it''d be unfair to judge what Grayson may do this season on the past two seasons. First season down here: 1 point off automatic promotion and Dennis Wise and Monkey Poyet decide they don''t like it ooop north anymore and bugger off to cushty jobs in London (Poyet to Tottenham, Wise to a london based job for Newcastle). Bates goes for the cheap option and brings in sky pundit and Leeds legend McAllister who in his first interview admits he hasn''t followed any non-premiership football since he left Coventry (great, eh?) but "follows" Coventry''s results. We finished comfortably in second place with 91pts, one less than

leaders Swansea....well we would''ve done had we not been deducted 15pts

thanks to Bates. Instead we lose to a "better on the day" Donny side in the Playoff Final.Second season down here: McAllister appears to have spent all his summer watching old tapes of Kevin Keegan''s Newcastle and new tapes of Wenger''s Arsenal because he turns us into a "we''ll pass the leather off the ball and score one more than you" side with no plan B when that doesn''t work and the worst defence a Leeds team has ever had. Asst Manager Steve "angry Stan Laurel" Staunton destroys the confidence of every single centre back at the club and employs zonal defending. The result? We seem to concede a goal from every set piece and the management team don''t know how to stop it. Top scorers in the league but soft as shite! McAllister, rightly, loses his job and Bates finally puts his hand in his pocket and gets us a proper manager, Simon Grayson. "Larry" says we''re gonna hoof it and keep it away from the defence until we get our confidence back. We all go "eh?" but it works and he does a phenomenol job turning it around as we win 10 consecutive home games and eventually start playing some nice football. We go into the the playoffs favourites but face our bogey team Milwall and play too cautious at theirs expecting to win it in the home leg. Out best ball player Kilkenny is injured early on in the home leg and the rest is history.You''re right we could falter under the pressure and I''d fear it if we didn''t finally have a proper manager in charge. If it were Blackwell, Wise or McAllister in charge and we were in the position we are in now I''d be strongly advising you lot to put money on you winning the league and us finishing fourth! Thankfully, they aren''t though.

[quote user="WW"][quote user=" Baldrick"]

[/quote]

Very true.

But the past two seasons have had all sorts going on and it''d be unfair to judge what Grayson may do this season on the past two seasons.

First season down here: 1 point off automatic promotion and Dennis Wise and Monkey Poyet decide they don''t like it ooop north anymore and bugger off to cushty jobs in London (Poyet to Tottenham, Wise to a london based job for Newcastle). Bates goes for the cheap option and brings in sky pundit and Leeds legend McAllister who in his first interview admits he hasn''t followed any non-premiership football since he left Coventry (great, eh?) but "follows" Coventry''s results. We finished comfortably in second place with 91pts, one less than leaders Swansea....well we would''ve done had we not been deducted 15pts thanks to Bates. Instead we lose to a "better on the day" Donny side in the Playoff Final.

Second season down here: McAllister appears to have spent all his summer watching old tapes of Kevin Keegan''s Newcastle and new tapes of Wenger''s Arsenal because he turns us into a "we''ll pass the leather off the ball and score one more than you" side with no plan B when that doesn''t work and the worst defence a Leeds team has ever had. Asst Manager Steve "angry Stan Laurel" Staunton destroys the confidence of every single centre back at the club and employs zonal defending. The result? We seem to concede a goal from every set piece and the management team don''t know how to stop it. Top scorers in the league but soft as shite! McAllister, rightly, loses his job and Bates finally puts his hand in his pocket and gets us a proper manager, Simon Grayson. "Larry" says we''re gonna hoof it and keep it away from the defence until we get our confidence back. We all go "eh?" but it works and he does a phenomenol job turning it around as we win 10 consecutive home games and eventually start playing some nice football. We go into the the playoffs favourites but face our bogey team Milwall and play too cautious at theirs expecting to win it in the home leg. Out best ball player Kilkenny is injured early on in the home leg and the rest is history.

You''re right we could falter under the pressure and I''d fear it if we didn''t finally have a proper manager in charge. If it were Blackwell, Wise or McAllister in charge and we were in the position we are in now I''d be strongly advising you lot to put money on you winning the league and us finishing fourth! Thankfully, they aren''t though.

[/quote]

The similarities are there for all to see with regards to two clubs downward spirals. The main problem seems to be poor managerial appointments AKA cheap options time after time.