Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

What's the best thing about Paul Lambert.

There are several to choose from.

For me it''s his willingness to give the youngsters a chance and keep them there or thereabouts once they perform. No argument.

It''s like introducing a new litter of puppies into a farmyard.

Certainly shakes up the seniors - and challenges the hierarchies and informal power stuctures.

Ricky Martin must be as pleased as punch and very proud.

What do you think is the best thing about Lambert?

OTBC

I think I agree with you on this one BBB; he picks players on merit rather than his ''favourites''. And before anyone mentions not playing Hoolahan when he got here, I think (personally) that he was trying to steady our ship-wrecked ship and supremely porous defence before adding flair to the mix. 

If he shaved his head, he''d look like Gunn.  He reminds me of Gunn,  mind you, the team reminds me of Gunn, because basically it is Gunn''s team.[;)]

For me, it`s his tactical nouse. He has inherited a resonable but not brilliant squad. He has looked at worked with that squad and sussed out everyones strengths and weaknesses. He has then come up with a formation / tactics that work to those players strengths. It sounds very simple but the number of managers that have a formation / tactics in their heads and then try to fit in players accordingly, whether it works for those players or not is incredible. Having said that, I also like the way he has bought the 2 lads in on loan, showing that he can change personal / formation to suit different threats / circumstances.

So to put it succinctly, I like his adaptability best

Yeah, I''d go for tactical astuteness, too. Watching him redeploy Hoolahan in the second half against Tranmere in particular, but also setting up a really solid 442 to steady the ship when he first arrived, then having the balls and the nous to change it to the diamond once he had sorted the defence out. Basically he hasn''t put a foot wrong.

As far as the youngsters are concerned, it is impressive that he has kept them in the side if they have earned it. To be honest, though, BBB, I''m not sure he had much of a choice about playing them in the first place. Gunn''s woeful signings in the summer meant that Korey Smith, Mickey Spillane and Chris Martin really had to play at various times. It''s his one piece of luck that they have all done such a good job.

[quote user="ron obvious"]

His dashing good looks & suave manner?

[/quote]

What a great avatar ron! My wife described him as the scariest person she''d ever seen on stage, but then again she never saw Iggy!

As to the OP, the best thing about Lambert is that he has a clear direction and knows exactly what he''s trying to achieve, which gives the players security and an appreciation that if they do the business they will keep the shirt, and if they don''t..........

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="ron obvious"]His dashing good looks & suave manner?[/quote]

What a great avatar ron! My wife described him as the scariest person she''d ever seen on stage, but then again she never saw Iggy!

As to the OP, the best thing about Lambert is that he has a clear direction and knows exactly what he''s trying to achieve, which gives the players security and an appreciation that if they do the business they will keep the shirt, and if they don''t..........

[/quote]HeHe! Couldn''t resist it when I realised who your avatar was. See if you know who my new one is He was pretty bloody disturbing I can tell you.

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

HeHe! Couldn''t resist it when I realised who your avatar was. See if you know who my new one is He was pretty bloody disturbing I can tell you.

[/quote]

Piece of cake. The wonderful Zal Cleminson of the Sensational Alex Harvey(RIP) band, another of my 70s faves, and yes, he was.I''ve never liked clowns.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

HeHe! Couldn''t resist it when I realised who your avatar was. See if you know who my new one is He was pretty bloody disturbing I can tell you.

[/quote]

Piece of cake. The wonderful Zal Cleminson of the Sensational Alex Harvey(RIP) band, another of my 70s faves, and yes, he was.I''ve never liked clowns.

[/quote]

What a coincidence! I''ve just been listening to SAHB on youtube, playing Next. It''s a clip of them playing live on The Old Grey Whistle back in 1973. I can remember their session on the programme as if it were yesterday. 

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]His rolled up sleeves and touchline manner remind me of Martin O Neill, that can be no bad thing.[/quote]

Let''s hope he stays longer than O''Neil did as manager.

And in this regard one sincerely hopes that a ''Windass-style moment'' will be avoided by all concerned in January.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

For me it''s his willingness to give the youngsters a chance and keep them there or thereabouts once they perform. No argument.

Certainly shakes up the seniors - and challenges the hierarchies and informal power stuctures.

OTBC

[/quote]

That he was prepared to stay here as long as he did.......

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

Yes, throw the youngsters into the squad was great move, it was just give a punch to all of former managers complaint "our squad was small".

The way he treated Hoolahan and Doherty in the first few months are great, put them to the reserves and possibly tell them if they did not play their best they are out of his first team, and when both back to the first team, both never look back

he can bring the best out in players . if someone told you holt hoolihan and martin would score 50 goals between them before christmas everyone would have laughed .the players we had have improved a hell of a lot since he turned up . if he can bring the best out of players i have every confidence in who he wishes to bring in .

Thats right keep the Gunn team thread going in other threads,

He reminds me of  Martin O''neal and think we have finally found our alternative, his pre/post match comments are very well put and people stand up and listern to him,    

I love his post match interviews...he never gets carried away and is a man of few words.

I like the fact the players now want to play for the manager and have respect for him and his team.

I think he just oozes professionalism and we now train in the right manner!!

[quote user="canaryfan68"]I love his post match interviews...he never gets carried away and is a man of few words. I like the fact the players now want to play for the manager and have respect for him and his team. I think he just oozes professionalism and we now train in the right manner!![/quote]

You''ve been to Colney recently then?

What do they do differently?

OTBC