Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Norwich City v Oldham player ratings

A comfortable 2-0 win where we dominated the first half and did enough to shade the second half despite the best efforts of their Number 16 to get the stretcher bearers in play.  I am still amazed that neither the inept referee or his linesman spotted the awful elbow which nearly took Drury out, and that the over the top challenge on Holt was worthy only of a yellow card, but if there''s anything to learn from this it is that if we though Championship referees were bad, they are above League One referees for a reason.  I think that perhaps if the Number 16 had actually decaptitated Drury he might have been at least cautioned, but we''ll never know.Atmosphere was good today, the Oldham fans were excellent with their pre-match balloons and their chants of "easy" as they nearly scored a consolation goal.Both our goals were effectively scored "on the break" which is odd when we had them pinned back for most of the game.  I sense that when teams do start coming here for a point, we may find it harder than when they come to give us a game.I have a man crush on Grant Holt.Forster - 6.5 - one great save at the end of the gameDrury - MoM - 8 - up and down the flank all day, defended well and kept getting forward, always looking for the ball and put some good crosses inR Martin - 6.5 - solid and steady, settling inDoc - 7 - great 1st half distribution, won nearly every challengeAskou - 7 - solidLappin - 6.5 - not his best game but kept runningRussell - 7.5 - very good today, even if his second touch is a tackleSmith - 7Hoolahan - 7.5 - great 2nd goal, Oldham couldn''t play him in the holeMartin - 7.5 - made both goals with breaks, unlucky not to get a goal himselfHolt - 7.5 - great leadership and a wonderful diving header for his 19th goal of the season.

Haha, i thought Drury made a few mistakes today, and wasn''t quite as good as prebious games :P

but yeah other than that, i think you have nailed it....(apart from maybe the man crush on Grant Holt :P)

I thought pretty much everyone had a good game today.

And praise definetly for the Oldham fans, very very funny in the face of defeat!

[quote user="king canary"]Pretty much agree with that Chops, wonder if people will still be accusing Chris Martin of being lazy.
[/quote]

I had two idiots behind me going on all afternoon about his poor workrate! I really do wonder about some of our fans.

Pretty much agree with ratings Mister C. I admit to being disappointed that Hughes was left out for Rusty, but I have to admit that he was superb today. I did, however see Doc make a mistake, so the sooner we can ship him out the better. McNamee looked promising, although I note that one Canary Caller has already written him off after 8 minutes of football. Tis forever the Norwich way,I''m afraid!

Don''t think anyone was particularly brilliant today, just an all-round solid team display which got the job done.

[quote user="king canary"]Pretty much agree with that Chops, wonder if people will still be accusing Chris Martin of being lazy.
[/quote]

Thought he did alright today, to be fair.

It''d be sticking your head in the sand to say that Chris Martin doesn''t put in lazy performances because he does and has.

Good player but I''m glad we''ve got Holty to score the goals because you wouldn''t want to rely on Martin.

[quote user="Stephen Frys Evil Twin"]Lappin was immense today. The number of times he broke up the Oldham play was ridiculous, but he still gets a lower rating than everyone else? Shocking...

Simon Lappin King of Spain...
[/quote]

Oi!!!! hands offf my chant you cheeky bugger!!!! :-)

[quote user="Stephen Frys Evil Twin"]Lappin was immense today. The number of times he broke up the Oldham play was ridiculous, but he still gets a lower rating than everyone else? Shocking...[/quote]This isn''t a didactic thing, if people want to post their own ratings then the more the merrier.  I may well get all the ratings horribly wrong, just calling it as I see it.  Why not post your ratings and we''ll see what you thought?

Game of two halves, Brian. In the firsthalf I thought we were superb, probably the best we''ve played since Bristol Rovers. Could have been four or five up and the workrate and movement off the ball was outstanding. I thought we got a bit lazy, complacent and even a little arrogant in the second half, epitomised by Hoolahan''s attempt to lift the ball over two Oldham defenders by the snakepit just before he was subbed. Can''t imagine Lambert was too pleased.McNamee looked really tentative, I thought. Nervous? You''d have thought he would be desperate to impress, but he shied away from challenges, didn''t chase the ball down. Still put in more good crosses (one) than Croft did all last season. (That was for you, GJP...).Difficult to give a MOM, for the excellent reason that our success is down to the team and formation working really well. As the epitome of that, I think I''d go for Russell.Agreed that the Oldham fans were ace: "Let''s pretend we''ve scored" was genius. The City fans, on the other hand, have grown fat and complacent with all these wins. We just expect now, rather than urge on. Let''s hope we play more of a part against ''Uddersfield.

Excellent forst half,  stepped off the gas in the second and became complacent,  nearly paid the price. We looked awful going to 4-4-2 - but the game was won. This is our strongest 11 - my fear is do we have the depth of squad to lose one of them for a period of time?  

Thought it was their no 17 who elbowed Drury but Gregan was determined to leave his mark on someone.

Forster 8 Had so little to do yet came up with 3 superb saves top keep us in the game, good vision to release Martin and martin for the first goal...

Martin 7 So far so good - got forward well, stood his ground - slow once when put himself under pressure but OK start

Doc 8  Did not put a foot wrong and some super cross field passes and was prepared to step forward with the ball when no pass on.

Askou 6 Excellent first half,  but seemed off his game in the second half. Several times he lost his man and was unable to cover.  On two of those occassions Forster saved his blushes.   Hopefully a one off in a game the whole team thought of as won after 30 mins.

Drury 8 Excellent, defended well, attacked (def penalty) and now shooting too!  Back to his very best.

Rusty 7 Not his best game and still frustrating when using the ball but swept up when needed.

Lappin 8 Was the best of the midfielders today - good crosses but superb at breaking play up.  We missed him when he wentinside to go 4-4-2.

Smith 7 High energy,  back on his game and increasingly prepared to shoot which is good.

Martin 7 Like lappin he just allows  team mates to shine,  he works seamlessly with Holt and Hoolahan to ensure they have options and to carry a threat across the pitch - involved with both goals today.  Not as showy with what he does.

Hoolahan 8 Involved in just about everything good today,   upped his work rate defensively today (was he being watched??  Terrace rumour that the bin men want him)

Holt 7 Worked his socks off and took his goal well.  Enjoying himself too.  Not as effective today as he has been but I remain scared of what happens when he is suspended or injured - he is a unique spearhead for us at the moment.

Subs

Daley 6 Came on for martin and impressed me today;  excellent movement and used his pace well.  Still has loads to learn but is now attacking the areas that cause defenders problems.  Can see why he came on ahead of cody again.

McNamee 5 On for hoolahan,  with Lappin going central and Daley Holt up front as we went 442.   Disappointed that he did not take his chance to show us his reputed pace - and for me the contrast between him and Daley - both late game subs when the match was over - was stark - one full of energy and committment looking to impress,  McNamee looking nervous and not wanting to be there. In added time had the chance to impress with is crossing,  bags of time to set a good cross if he had looked up to see that our strikers were on the edge of the 18 yard box but proceeded to cross to the 6 yard box between their keeper and back 4 - looked dangerous but was the same as passing 10 yards ahead of a city player - poor. 

Forster 8 - Could have been a 9 really because I can only remember a couple of poor kicks, one when he was under pressure, otherwise pretty much faultless.

Martin 6 - But signs of 7!! He seems to be settling in well and looks far more aware of what''s going on around him than the hapless Otsemebor. Moved the ball forward to Martin decisively and quickly to help create the first goal.

Doc 8 - Again could maybe have been a 9. It was only Oldham but he was virtually faultless. I just remember one hurried clearance that went straight up in the air. Playing the ball out of defence and those great cross field passes are not only a sign of his new confidence but also a sign of players in front of him wanting the ball and not hiding. When there was nothing on he carried the ball out of defence patiently until there was.

Askou 5 - Poor for him but he''s allowed and off day. Was outpaced a couple of times too. Hasn''t got the distribution of Doc but he missed a game last week because his wife was ill. Maybe he was still preoccupied. Anyway, I think we should forgive him this.

Drury 8 - Don''t go with all this "found his level" rubbish now these players are beginning to shine once more. Drury is looking back to his best both defensively and going forward.

Russell 7 - I find myself thinking back and wondering what his contribution is because Rusty is a player whose contribution you only really notice when he''s not there. Nothing spectacular but so important to us, winning and intercepting the ball then moving it on quickly.

Smith 9 - Could have been an 8 but it''s a 9 because I want it to be!! I want Korey to be MOM!!! He has deserved it so often and his form has held up well. Last week many of us felt he maybe needed a rest but he was at his best yet again today and is never afraid to shoot. It should be remembered that starting Korey in midfield was the first real change Lambert made and it was a masterstroke. Just wait ''til a couple of those shots nestle in the top corner and he''ll be a scorer of spectacular goals too!

Lappin 8 - Was back to his best. Maybe McNamee has put pressure on his place but he certainly did enough to keep it yesterday. Won the ball loads too. Our midfield is a strength for the first time in quite a few years.

Hoolahan 8 - Is a joy to watch at times and scored a great goal. He covers loads of ground tracking back and won the ball deep too. But this worries me because he still looks to be creative from there where others like Rusty and Korey would take the better option and move the ball on quickly. Not such a great problem against Oldham because they didn''t have the players to punish us.

Martin 8 - I don''t know why he gets branded as lazy. Maybe it''s his body language at times or his running style. Rather like Doc being branded as slow I guess. Martin never stops working for those around him, especially Holt who took advantage of his excellent run and first time ball for the first goal.

Holt 8 - As we said a few time during the game, "we f****** love Grant Holt. Not just for his goals and tireless running but also his leadership which must make a huge difference to his team mates. Took his goal brilliantly, looked tired at the end but still nearly got a second right at the death.

Daley 7 - Just like on Tuesday he looked well dangerous when he came on. He made some great runs and it seems Lambert see''s him as cover for Chris Martin which will please those of us who believe that''s his best position. The fact that he came on before Cody suggests to me that Lambert sees Cody as cover for Holt. Just another sign Lambert has organised a group of players into a team and a squad.

McNamee 6 - Didn''t have long and didn''t really make a mark. He put one good ball in which was in a really dangerous area although never dangerous because we had nobody who could get to it. This will improve when he has played with the team more because the players will learn what he does. It''s better to cross into those areas than predictably to where our forwards are. Holt was disappointed not to have got there which suggests to me he''ll get there next time!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Forster 8 - Could have been a 9 really because I can only remember a couple of poor kicks, one when he was under pressure, otherwise pretty much faultless.

[/quote]

There seems to be something seriously wrong with his technique. I was level with our18 yard line in the second half and several of us were remarking on the slapping sound whenever he kicks, rather than the dull thud of a good contact. Other than that he did really well and looks commanding.

It was my first game since Wallsall (have only just woken up from that snorefest) and have to say what a vast,vast improvement in the team!

For the first half i will give everyone a easy 7 as they were all solid and did their jobs perfectly.Extra marks go to the Doc for his Hoddlesque passing,Darel for his bossing of midfield,and mopping up,and to Hooli for his trickery[Y] A quick mention to ''New'' Martin,he did seem a bit scared of getting too forward,but other than that i think we may have found a good ''un,and also him and Forsters quick thinking got the first goal started,(which i thought Chris had ballsed up the cross).

For the second half i will give everyone a 6/6.5.They did slacken off and got a bit sloppy,but to be fair Oldham were nothing,but i think we should have really finished them off!Didn''t really get much of a chance to see McNamee,but he did look nervous,fair enough.He did put one cracking goal line cross in,just needed someones foot in there.

Special mentions go to Barclay Upper block B.Good banter up there,cheers ladies and gents.

The Oldham fans,who were a great bunch,even though their team were dire! 

And a special,special mention to the local council for ''Double Yellowing'' great chunks of Whitlingham Lane (ski centre) so i had about a two mile walk to the ground.Nice one.I will definitely get the train again,from now on.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]A comfortable 2-0 win where we dominated the first half and did enough to shade the second half despite the best efforts of their Number 16 to get the stretcher bearers in play.  I am still amazed that neither the inept referee or his linesman spotted the awful elbow which nearly took Drury out, and that the over the top challenge on Holt was worthy only of a yellow card, but if there''s anything to learn from this it is that if we though Championship referees were bad, they are above League One referees for a reason.  I think that perhaps if the Number 16 had actually decaptitated Drury he might have been at least cautioned, but we''ll never know.Atmosphere was good today, the Oldham fans were excellent with their pre-match balloons and their chants of "easy" as they nearly scored a consolation goal.Both our goals were effectively scored "on the break" which is odd when we had them pinned back for most of the game.  I sense that when teams do start coming here for a point, we may find it harder than when they come to give us a game.I have a man crush on Grant Holt.Forster - 6.5 - one great save at the end of the gameDrury - MoM - 8 - up and down the flank all day, defended well and kept getting forward, always looking for the ball and put some good crosses inR Martin - 6.5 - solid and steady, settling inDoc - 7 - great 1st half distribution, won nearly every challengeAskou - 7 - solidLappin - 6.5 - not his best game but kept runningRussell - 7.5 - very good today, even if his second touch is a tackleSmith - 7Hoolahan - 7.5 - great 2nd goal, Oldham couldn''t play him in the holeMartin - 7.5 - made both goals with breaks, unlucky not to get a goal himselfHolt - 7.5 - great leadership and a wonderful diving header for his 19th goal of the season.

[/quote]Ouch - a bit harsh on the wee Simon Scot Lappin:.

Forster - 7

Drury - 

8 Players like Drury and the rehabilitated Lappin have put the heart back into City. (RIP Roeder''s Loan Policy)

R Martin - 7 OK, especially when running into space but thought he

lacked a bit of confidence when having to think about his pass.

Doc - 8 as well as a good defensive display, he made some good cross field balls, especially in first half

Askou - 8 He is just so effective and dependable.

Lappin - 8 - he did more than just run. Very effective at hustling them and never gave them the chance to think (even if one tackle was so late he missed both ball and player!)

Russell - 7.5 he seemed to come off worse from a few tackles but he seems to like his role

Smith - 7.5 not a star performance this time but a good one nevertheless - the youngster always justifies his selection

Hoolahan - 8 superb finish plus...

Martin - 8 - worked hard and deserved a goal

Holt - 8.- Proving to be a great captain though I wish he wouldn''t drop deep so much. Clever goalShall be interested to see the EDP''s ratings tomorrow. And how the impressive Hughes ( and the still to impress MacNamee) can make their mark on the team if performances like this are maintained.

I thought Lappin was MoM last home game, I didn''t see him sparkle yesterday particularly but as I say, I don''t always call it right - this is a debate thread, not just my opinion.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I thought Lappin was MoM last home game, I didn''t see him sparkle yesterday particularly but as I say, I don''t always call it right - this is a debate thread, not just my opinion.[/quote]I guess his passing was not so noticeable as his "stopping" role was yesterday. I thought he didn''t just run around (like some of our midfielders in past seasons) but actually got results. I was next to a Fulham fan who had never been to Carrow Rd before: he picked Doherty, Drury and Lappin as our best performers and Doherty as MoM before it was announced. Not surprisingly he also heaped praise on our forward line.