Sign in to follow this  
The Chirp

Should Norwich take a leaf out of Bradford's book?

http://www.bradfordcityfc.co.uk/page/ProfilesDetail/0,,10266~9648,00.html

Bradford hold trials for innercity youngsters... An open trial for players under 16 to come along.

Think it is a great idea... You always get a few boys with great raw talent who slip the net... City would be doing themselves a favour in making sure they get every last bit of talent our ine city has to offer.

Even if you don''t pick up a future star, it''s a good piece of community work, and makes people feel connected.  Isn''t getting into football as much a case of who you know, as how good you are in a lot of cases though ?

Yes and no...

I knew someone at fulham which is how i got there (for a short while though...  until they found out I was pretty rubbish at coming out for crosses...d''oh!) but I got an invite to come to trial for Palace through going to one of their community days...

I think at that age determination and a desire to give it everything gets noticed nearly just as much as talent....

There are a lot of very skillful players out there but the key is.. (and it is what puts off a lot of scouts) not being too greedy on the ball... so many try to do too much and that puts scouts off.

the ability to look up and pic a pass is a talent i think is hard to teach... so if you can find an 8 year old who does it naturally... well... he''s worth taking a gamble on.

Would love city to do this for the youngsters of Norfolk