Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Which game will be our next Banana Skin

Difficult to call in my book, given that even in this league you need to be on top of your form to guarantee results. Yeovil away will not be an easy game, forget the league cup game. They have picked up a lot of results of late and have won 4 at home. Huddersfield are a funny side it very much depends what their mond set is. One week they draw at leeds another they drop 2 home points against Tranmere. Millwall likewisw are inconsistent but on their day capable of beating or indeed losing to anyone. Perhaps walsall away for me presents the hardest test before the new year in the league. I doubt we will get past Southampton in the JPT

it was in one of the columns in the edp i think ..maybe chris goreham  ..but he asked the question have you  or do you know  anybody who has actually slipped over on a banana skin ? probably not ,so where did that phrase come from ?[:D]

[quote user="pennywise "]

it was in one of the columns in the edp i think ..maybe chris goreham  ..but he asked the question have you  or do you know  anybody who has actually slipped over on a banana skin ? probably not ,so where did that phrase come from ?[:D]

[/quote]

I think it is quite possible to slip on a banana skin. It all depends on the velocity and the angle of the foot stepping on the offending skin. I have almost slipped over on discarded pieces of paper - such as those annoying little flyers inserted in newspapers and mags. I read of a poor, unfortunate commuter sustaining fatal injuries from a sweet-wrapper on a London tube platform. Titter ye not! What happened was he stepped forward as a train was approaching the platform, he then slid on the wrapper straight under the train. How bizarre is that!

[quote user="pennywise "]

[/quote]There are several alrernative explanarions but the most plausible I ever heard was that ''banana skin'' was a popular euphemism for ''dog turd'' back in the days of  music hall comedy routines.

[quote user="Pablo Picarsole"]When we play a team from Fyffes.[/quote]

................as in East Fife(s) ? [;)]

[quote user="Pablo Picarsole"]When we play a team from Fyffes.[/quote]

remember the score line a long while ago. East Fife 4 - Forfar 5[:D]

[quote user="Michael Starr"]I thought it was East Fife 5 Forfar 4[/quote]For the pedantics:East Fife 5 - Forfar 4 was used in a ''Two Ronnies'' sketch.Forfar 5 East Fife 4 was the scoreline in a Scottish Division Two match on 22 April 1964.