Sign in to follow this  
Simon Lappin, King Of Spain

Poor old Michael Spillane!!!

Whilst sat at work contemplating our wonderful squad I got to thinking about Mr Spillane, who I haven''t seen anything written about in weeks: where is he? has his leg been amputated yet? and more pertinently when he gets a prosthetic one and starts playing again will he get a look into the first team? Now that Ginger Pele and JBA have formed a solid partnership it looks like Centre half is no longer an option and Russell Martin looks at least halfway decent at RB so at the moment it''s looking like a tough ask for him to get in the starting XI.

Having said that, who would you like to see at right back; Spillane, R. Martin, George or Jon? ( it think it''s obvious who people wouldn''t want in the side but I do love an underdog), from what I saw of Martin at Southend he''s very solid if unspectacular (at the moment) going forward, whereas before his injury Spillane looked like he was really getting into the role of an attacking RB and had begun to provide some genuine threat on the overlap e.g. wonder goal vs Orient. So when all are fit it looks like we might actually have a relative embarrassment of riches at right back, but who is the best man for the job? (if anyone can even remember who Spillane is, I admit I was having trouble myself, feels like he''s been out for decades) My choice would be Spillane but I wonder now people have seen a little bit of Martin who everyone else would choose?

Haven''t seen enough of Russell Martin yet, but he looks steady and reliable without being a flair player.  He did get forward a couple of times yesterday but I agree that Spillane looks a better bet going forwards so far - I guess R Martin needs another few games to settle in with the team before we can properly judge.Semi''s history, I hope.

With Russell Martin and Spillane I really worry about the lack of pace we have at the back.

I know Semi has a bad press, but I think people were watching the games and trying to work out how every goal could be blamed on him.

He wasn''t at fault for any of the goals at Carlise, yet people still wanted to blame him.

I still say look at the Leeds game, he took to blame for both goals (which I think is harsh), and due to his pace Beckford was kept out of the game until the last 10 mins.

It does seem as if Russell Martin is first choice and Semi and Spillane will fight it out between them. Given Spillane''s flexibility he will probably get the nod.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]

Semi''s history, I hope.

[/quote]

Fingers crossed - but cant leave until we have a fit alternative in case the rb injurty curse continues.

Makes me wonder what''s going to happen in Jan, if we sign Martin then I think that will be curtains on Semmi''s career at Carrow Road. Personally I don''t think Semmi deserves the bad feeling he gets most of the time, but defenders are always going to come in for worse stick than most players as any mistake they make is likely to be more harshly punished than a player further up the pitch. On the issue of pace Spillane is no slouch, not quite a blistering as Semmi but pretty damn quick so i wouldn''t be too worrried on that front if he goes.

I would agree with some others on here that it might be interesting to try him as a right wing if Lambert can work his magic with Rusty, Doc and Wes then surely he can with Semmi too.

Yes very unlucky with injury when he was starting to look the part!

With Martin looking a solid (Edworthy like) steady player and with messrs Spillane and Francomb coming back, Otsemobor would be surplus to requirements!

[quote user="Simon Lappin King Of Spain"]

On the issue of pace Spillane is no slouch, not quite a blistering as Semmi but pretty damn quick so i wouldn''t be too worrried on that front if he goes.

[/quote]

Spillane is "pretty damn quick" ? Really??

Maybe if you were comparing him to Michael Nelson than maybe he might be slightly quicker than him. But in general...Spillane lacks pace, big style.

You''ve only got to look back to when he got injured, that was over-stretching because he had been well done for pace and couldn''t keep up.

I''ve heard plenty of people say Spillane brings "pace" to the defence. Load of rubbish. He might be a young lad but he ain''t quick.

When he is back and fit I can see him taking doc''s place at the back!

Even though he has been better spillane looked awesome earlier in season.

How the hell did doc get MOM yesterday - Askou was far better!

At the time of his injury I think Spillane was really making the right back spot his own, better defensively than Semmy (who isn''t?) but also surprisingly good going forward. He''s a much improved player from before he went to Luton. The injury came at an awful time and it seems as if he came back to training a bit too early and it went again.

I was impressed with Martin yesterday and I would say he has decent pace, though clearly not in  Semmy''s league.Certainly his first half overlap when Korey inexplicably delayed the pass showed a good turn of speed and he seems very composed on the ball. I get the impression that Lambert is looking for  a right sided version of Drury who is primarily a solid defender but also able to contribute going forward.

[quote user="Colchester Canary"]

[/quote]

Well,we all view the game differently,i suppose!

[/quote]

Sorry CC, cant agree with that. Docs and Askou are nailed on for as long as they keep fit and current form. Would be crazy to upset the defence when they are so solid.

As for MOTM on Saturday I would have gone for Holt or Hoolahoop but had Docs and Rusty just behind. Docs had a terrific first half and his passing is way ahead of Askou''s. In my opinion of course [:)]

[/quote]

Do you actually watch the games?

The very impressive Doc and Askou had very similar games on Saturday as they have in most games, although many fans will never give Doc any credit and its fashionable at the moment to over rate Askou.

Spillanes a good right back but hes not strong enough or dominant enough in the air to ever get anywhere near as good as Doc and Askou1

Spillane''s ability to play CB, RB and MF is very useful. At CB, he is a decent back-up for Askou and at RB he has also performed well.

As for the Doc debate, both he and Askou have been defending well but Doc''s distribution, particularly the long raking passes forward have been a revelation in recent games (has Crook been coaching him?).

Am I the only one who wants to changthis to Poor old Johny Ray!

Probably - I''ll get my coat.