Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

alan Lee Or grant Holt?

In the close season I would have preferred to have bought Lee, I probably still think he is a better standard if I am totally honest, but how can anyone not prefer Holt right now given his performances, attitude, goals and he is ours and the captain. If I had to choose between the two now it just has to be Holt, however I WANT BOTH! 

Holt. He''s the more complete player and will score far more goals. However, we shouldn''t forget the sterling job that Lee did for us in a crap team and under shambolic management.

Its very hard to say. Holt to us seems so much better, as he is doing cracking, but is against ALOT worse defence''s. He is alot more hard working too. But Lee is more of a proven goal scorer at a higher level. I dont believe Holt has even played in the top two divisions? Where as Lee has scored plenty of goal''s in the second division.

grant holt . his scoring record says it all . he is happy here and for what i have seen of him he would cut it with norwich in the championship.

i would eat my hat if lee could bag 19 goals even at this level in early december. holt is the highest scorer in all divisions and as much as everyone is knocking gunn this was a very good buy for norwich .if he keeps up this form and stays fit he could be on 40 goals this season . his best bet would be to stay with norwich and become a legend like hucks .

[quote user="The gut"]In the close season I would have preferred to have bought Lee, I probably still think he is a better standard if I am totally honest, but how can anyone not prefer Holt right now given his performances, attitude, goals and he is ours and the captain. If I had to choose between the two now it just has to be Holt, however I WANT BOTH! [/quote]

The gut wrote the following post at 24/11/2009 11:41 PM:

The gut wrote:

My almost realistic wish would be for the club to their utmost (not by selling any of our current starting 11) to get Alan Lee. I think he would be the perfect partner for Holt (sorry Chris) and no defence in this league would be able to cope with those two. He would still be putting pressure on the centre backs when Holt goes a roaming (not a criticism). If we lost Wes for any reason he would be the best target man for any style of play we adapted to, probably the best in this league. With him in the side we would find it easier to cope if anything happened to Holt (and vice versa). I reckon he''d be a good man to have around if things get tough later in the season. He would be capable of performing in the championship if we were promoted. I''d give the club my rebate again if they would put it towards his signing! 

Holt without doubt. He''s younger than Lee for starters and he''s really been impressing me lately, he''s showing that he''s more than just a target man, and he''s actually starting to remind me of Ashton with the way he uses the ball and brings other people into play with intelligent passes.His finishing is top notch as evidenced by some crackers this season, doesnt matter what league your in, the diving header on saturday, his chest and volley at home to Leyton Orient, excellent well taken goals, 2 of many, and ive seen some keepers come to Carrow Road and belie the level they play at with some outstanding saves.On a sour note surely Holt would provide a much bigger sell on fee than Lee would as well.

This got brought up near the start of the season, at the time i said Alan Lee. Now i think i would put them on par with each other. I would love to see them both play in the same team! Both have there plus sides and both have their down sides. At the end of the day as long as they want to put on the yellow shirt and give their all, as both have shown, them i am happy. Not to bring things down on Grant Holt it is worth noting that Alan Lee has scored over 20 goals in a season at Championship level. Something Holt has yet to do. Even last season in a period of instability playing for three differant teams , he still managed a very respectible 11 League goals dispite being left out of the Palace team for a few months of the season.I dont think it is fair to compare the two at present because both are playing at differant standards of football. The higher up the ladder you go the harder it is to score goals thats why you pay so much money for players who get them.

I can see this being a sketch on Harry Hill''s TV Burp :

"I like Alan Lee but I also like Grant Holt.  But which one''s best?  There''s only one way to find out!  FIGHT!"

[quote user="Dean Coney''s Arse"]

I can see this being a sketch on Harry Hill''s TV Burp :

"I like Alan Lee but I also like Grant Holt.  But which one''s best?  There''s only one way to find out!  FIGHT!"

[/quote

ha ha [;)] who would win though?

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

Last season you were all loving AL but this season your all loving GH!

who do you prefer though?

[/quote]I wasn''t. Alan Lee was always a binman to me.Anyway, it''s a no contest. There''s only one super horse.

Didn''t think Alan Lee was all that good to be honest. First couple of games he did well but after that he didn''t seem that bothered - anyway he only came here because he was offered a (allegedly) handsome bonus if we stayed up. Perhaps he gave up the ghost when it dawned on him just what a mess we were in.

last season you were all lovign AL but this season your all loving GH!

[/quote] NO only some of you were loving AL.

How many goals did Alan Lee score? Holt has the same amount of passion if not more the Lee.

[quote user="AVFC-NCFC"]

How many goals did Alan Lee score? Holt has the same amount of passion if not more the Lee.

[/quote]Yeah he does have more passion. But you''ve gotta look at the defences. Holt is playing week-in, week-out against League 1 defences, which in my opinion, are ALOT worse than championship defences. ALOT WORSE!

Nice post, OPKinda funny when i read it I actually thought " haha oh yeah, Alan Lee !!! "Think he would have got the job done, but Holt is probably the better choiceGuess it goes to show how fickle football fans are !

I remember saying that Holt was streets ahead after the Palace game in pre-season. Stand by that more and more every week.

[/quote]

Good question Banana [:)] I was an Alan Lee fan and was hoping we''d sign him, he''s an experienced championship striker and I think at this level he would also have knocked some goals in for us but who wouldn''t say now that they''re glad we''ve got Holty. He has the same passion Lee has for football and the club and he''ll get better and better in my opinion and will easily make the step up to the Championship with us.

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

[/quote]

Good question Banana [:)] I was an Alan Lee fan and was hoping we''d sign him, he''s an experienced championship striker and I think at this level he would also have knocked some goals in for us but who wouldn''t say now that they''re glad we''ve got Holty. He has the same passion Lee has for football and the club and he''ll get better and better in my opinion and will easily make the step up to the Championship with us.

[/quote]

Good answer CA but I''m not so sure Grant Holt would easily make the step up should we get back into the Championship while he''s still with us. There is a big gap between League One and Championship defenders and he is unproven at that level. I think he''d probably do OK but I''m curious as to why no manager at the higher level has ever pushed the boat out to sign him. Do they all think he''d struggle ?

That said I''m sure we all hope he gets the chance to prove his doubters wrong next season.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Didn''t think Alan Lee was all that good to be honest. First couple of games he did well but after that he didn''t seem that bothered - anyway he only came here because he was offered a (allegedly) handsome bonus if we stayed up. Perhaps he gave up the ghost when it dawned on him just what a mess we were in.[/quote]Were you at Charlton away on the last day of the season? Lee and Smith were the only ones who seemed bothered, and he looked genuinely devastated at the final whistle, and he made the rest of the squad come over to the fans at the final whistle, and for that, Lee will always have my utmost respect, and didn''t he say that he would like to sign for us and help us get promoted??? But back to the original post, I''ve always been a fan of Holt since his Forest days, and I don''t think Lee would have scored the goals that Holt has done, so for that reason I''d prefer Holt, but both of them would be ideal!

Yes I was at Charlton. He really wasn''t all that though. Not really his fault but we changed the way we played just to accomodate him and that, coupled with Croft and especially Hoolahan getting injured, sealed out fate as we were playing well with Gow and Mooney up front with Hoolahan just behind them. So we just resorted to hoofing the ball to him all the time.

It would certainly strike the fear of God into opposition defenders Gingerpele!!

They would be bashed and battered all over the park!!