Sign in to follow this  
singing canary

chris dagnall..?

Norwich and Peterborough are chasing Rochdale’s in-form striker Chris Dagnall.

The 23-year-old is out of contract in the summer and both clubs are considering bidding at around the £150,000 mark in January.

Dagnall has scored 12 goals this season to fire Rochdale to the top of League Two

If there is any truth in it, then further evidence, it would seem, that JC is well and truly out of the picture, and that Cody might be in line for a loan move come January?

Speculation of course, as is the transfer rumour, but a signing like Dagnall would add weight to the 442 option, with two of Martin, Holt and Dagnall (or A.N.Other) in line for a start. I do wonder where 442 might leave Wes however, as, with McNamee inked in for wide left, it makes you wonder where WH would end up?

[quote user="singing canary"]Norwich and Peterborough are chasing Rochdale’s in-form striker Chris Dagnall. The 23-year-old is out of contract in the summer and both clubs are considering bidding at around the £150,000 mark in January. Dagnall has scored 12 goals this season to fire Rochdale to the top of League Two[/quote]

If it becomes a straight fight between us and Posh I''d like to think we''d win despite their current higher League status.

On their side is a multi-millionaire owner, more multi than anyone at Carrow Road. But against that they have poor crowds, a ramshackle stadium, no proper training ground, pay low Championship wages - the owner says he won''t break the wage structure - and look likely to go down into the bargain. We may have less money, but, apart from wages being a possible issue, tick all the other plus boxes.

No contest really.......

I think there could well be a deal involving Whaley heading in the opposite direction, and with Dagnall being just 5''8" he would be a younger, hopefully better model of Jamie. Where this leaves Cody, I am not sure. But competition for places is certainly something that is being looked at.

[quote user="KCanary"]

Why would a building Society be after him?! [;)]

Sorry. [:$]

[/quote]

perhaps he bounced a cheque

Sounds like a good move to me, it appears Jamie Cureton is on the way out and other than the relatively unproven Cody McDonald we have no competition for Holt and Martin. A young striker with a very good record in League 2 and still appears to be improving, can''t have too much firepower. Below is his record over the past 4 seasons.

CompetitionApps(as sub)GoalsYellowCardsRedCards
League20 

(0)
FA Cup

(0)
League Cup

(0)

ClubSeasonComp.Apps(as sub)Goals

Rochdale

2008 - 09League26 

(15)
  FA Cup

(0)
  League Cup

(0)

Rochdale

2007 - 08League10 

(7)
  League Cup

(0)

Rochdale

2006 - 07League32 

(5)

Rochdale have been in the fourth tier of English football for 35+ years, and at last are top of the table and with a decent chance of automatic promotion. There’s a story going round that that they may be selling their No 9 and (presumably), their leading scorer.

Seems a strange on to me, so all I can assume is that he is out of contract at the end of the season, and Rochdale are looking to cash in.

The only time I have seen him live was when we went to Rochdale in the cup two years ago, and I recall he looked a lively player then.

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

Rochdale have been in the fourth tier of English football for 35+ years, and at last are top of the table and with a decent chance of automatic promotion. There’s a story going round that that they may be selling their No 9 and (presumably), their leading scorer.

Seems a strange on to me, so all I can assume is that he is out of contract at the end of the season, and Rochdale are looking to cash in.

The only time I have seen him live was when we went to Rochdale in the cup two years ago, and I recall he looked a lively player then.

[/quote]It does say in the opening post he is out of contract so well assumed...

They said Grant Holt could never be replaced, but Dale managed it with the former Tranmere boy wonder

Liverpudlian Dagnall is a product of Tranmere Rovers’ youth setup and was a prolific scorer at every level of the Prenton Park club’s programme after joining at the age of 13.

Big things were expected of the forward, especially after he made his Rovers debut at 17 and scored his first goal a few months later. But under manager Brian Little, first-team opportunities proved few and far between, allowing Rochdale to snap him up as a replacement for Nottingham Forest-bound Grant Holt.

A quick and direct frontman who knows where the goal is, Dagnall has since found the net regularly in the league, averaging a little over a goal every other game. Ruptured cruciate ligaments decimated his 2007/08 season, but he made a remarkable recovery in time to play a major part in Dale’s play-off challenge, scoring in both legs of the semi-final win against Darlington.

From TalentSpotter Website

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Sounds like a good move to me, it appears Jamie Cureton is on the way out and other than the relatively unproven Cody McDonald we have no competition for Holt and Martin. A young striker with a very good record in League 2 and still appears to be improving, can''t have too much firepower. Below is his record over the past 4 seasons.

CompetitionApps
(as sub)
GoalsYellow
Cards
Red
Cards
League20  (0)1210
FA Cup2  (0)000
League Cup1  (0)000

ClubSeasonComp.Apps
(as sub)
Goals
Rochdale 2008 - 09League26  (15)8
  FA Cup1  (0)1
  League Cup1  (0)0
Rochdale 2007 - 08League10  (7)9
  League Cup2  (0)0
Rochdale 2006 - 07League32  (5)17

[/quote]

He has also set up seven of their other goals, sounds handy.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Sounds like a good move to me, it appears Jamie Cureton is on the way out and other than the relatively unproven Cody McDonald we have no competition for Holt and Martin. A young striker with a very good record in League 2 and still appears to be improving, can''t have too much firepower. Below is his record over the past 4 seasons.

CompetitionApps
(as sub)
GoalsYellow
Cards
Red
Cards
League20  (0)1210
FA Cup2  (0)000
League Cup1  (0)000

ClubSeasonComp.Apps
(as sub)
Goals
  FA Cup1  (0)1
  League Cup1  (0)0
  League Cup2  (0)0

[/quote]

CompetitionApps
(as sub)
GoalsYellow
Cards
Red
Cards
League20  (0)1210
FA Cup2  (0)000
League Cup1  (0)000

ClubSeasonComp.Apps
(as sub)
Goals
  FA Cup1  (0)1
  League Cup1  (0)0
  League Cup2  (0)0

[/quote]

[quote user="king canary"]

It does say in the opening post he is out of contract so well assumed...
[/quote]

Thanks for that comment. Word blindness - we''ve all done it. I looked on soccerbase and saw he joined Rochdale on a permanent deal at the start of the 2006/07 and made the connection that way.

Dagnall does look useful, but as he is only 5''8" he''s unlikely to provide effective cover if Holt gets injured. I would prefer someone who could cover as target man as well as being able to play alongside Holt. Depends on how much money is available.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]If he`s so good it seems a bit curious he was a sub for fifteen games last season.....[:^)][/quote]If you do your research you''ll find he suffered a cruciate ligament damage injury the season before so I imagine he was still finding his feet after the injury.

one thing he does have is pace ..martin and holt would be first choice but i should imagine he would be a great sub to have on the bench and a ideal replacement if cureton is released in january .

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]If he`s so good it seems a bit curious he was a sub for fifteen games last season.....[:^)][/quote]If you do your research you''ll find he suffered a cruciate ligament damage injury the season before so I imagine he was still finding his feet after the injury.[/quote]Finding his knee if it was a cruciate.

noooooooooooooooooo he really is not up to the standard!!!! poor poor signing if made.Would rather look at a proven champ.. striker.