Sign in to follow this  
First Jedi

Smudger - do you still think Hoolahan is rubbish?

[quote user="6088m canary"]I''ve never understood this criticism of left footed players when they can''t use their right leg (except for standing on).Which

City right footed city player can use their left leg?  For that matter,

which right footed England player can use their left leg effectively?All

in all it''s appalling how mono-footed most British footballers are -

it''s not just a disease for left footers, althought they are the onlys

who are ever diagnosed with the problem.

I have to say this is possibly the best post i have ever read on this site......(yep i dont know how to quote)

I am not sure what is wrong with fan''s expectations these days.....if you watch la liga or serie A, the players on display have infintely better technique than England''s finest.  Sure there are some very gifted players in the premiership, but then how many are English? Ouir obsession with pace and kick and rush football gets us to a point, but has not won us a major international tournament for a long long time.Coaching still needs a massive working over in the UK. Id love to see how they coach the youngsters coming through at the academy....how many are two footed? How many run with the ball whilst keeping their heads up and looking for options? Slightly off topic as far as the thread is concerned i guess, but it does bare thinking about.....Hools is one footed, but as the poster so rightly pointed out so is the rest of our squad?!Only top quality player (technique wise)i can think of off the top of my head in England  is Joe Cole and if we can fit him back into the national side then im sure we should have a pretty decent WC.

[/quote]Spot on guys have been banging on for about this for awhile but it gets burried beneath threads about Wiz. Add to all of the above points about English footballers the national obsession with running about and tracking back and you end with Wayne Rooney, a fabulous player with absolutly no positional disciplin.

[quote user="Pablo Picarsole"]It''s all gone very quiet in Smudger''s corner.[/quote]

He can''t win can he? He gets moaned at if he posts in too many threads and he gets moaned at if he''s not around.

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="Pablo Picarsole"]It''s all gone very quiet in Smudger''s corner.[/quote]

He can''t win can he? He gets moaned at if he posts in too many threads and he gets moaned at if he''s not around.

[/quote]Only because he posts so much negative drivel

[quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

I''m sure he''s big enough to handle anything these trivial minded minnions can throw at him CA........

Without the so-called "negatives" making waves we''d still have Smith staggering onto the pitch gobbing off and a dressing room full of loanies and donkeys led by some sycophantic loser she''d hired.

He'' done his work........ [Y]

[quote user="Cluck the Purist...."][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

I''m sure he''s big enough to handle anything these trivial minded minnions can throw at him CA........

Without the so-called "negatives" making waves we''d still have Smith staggering onto the pitch gobbing off and a dressing room full of loanies and donkeys led by some sycophantic loser she''d hired.

[/quote]Do you really believe that?

[quote user="Delias Devonshire Dirtbox"]You wont see Smudger on here anymore, since his business went under he''s been working on the Bin lorries in Ipswich and doing a paper round for some extra cash[/quote]

Nothing like kicking someone when they''re down on their luck is it, lets hope it doesn''t happen to you.

Strange that the people who have never met him think they know so much about him and are also so fascinated by him.

Hoolahan give us a creative spark that every team in this league would love to have.  As far as the champs are concerned he got Blackpool promoted and then, I think, helped them survive there too.

As far as his season with us is concerned there was not a single player who came out of last season with ANY credit (ok, maybe Leroy Lita and Mr OG) However the on time we looked like surviving relegation (March) coincided with Hoolahan starting to show what he could do for us,  running the show,  giving us some creativity and creating chances.  Our down turn co-incided with his injury early in the plymouth home game and so the loss of the promising Gow/Mooney partnership, which was looking as promising  as with Holt/martin/hoolahan triangle we have now.

Could he be stronger?  Could he be faster? Does he sometimes infuriate with his pass selection or delay in releasing the ball?  Good god yes.  And that is why he is in a League one side and not a premier squad.   

He is a talented but imperfect footballer who is currently playing below his true level which is why he is one of the star players in this league. 

[quote user="cityangel"]

Nothing like kicking someone when they''re down on their luck is it, lets hope it doesn''t happen to you.

Strange that the people who have never met him think they know so much about him and are also so fascinated by him.

[/quote]

If you continually ridicule people, are abusive and rude to them, riff on their pain and misery and generally act like a complete cock then you can''t really expect sympathy when you''re ''down on you luck'' can you? I know that you like to tell us all about what a wonderful chap he really is but you have to accept that a great number of people will have no desire to meet him because of the way he behaves on here.

P.S. I should probably point out that I have no problem with Smudger and actually enjoy our occasional debates about football (I have no desire to debate ''financial issues'' [|-)] with him, or anybody else for that matter, any more). I don''t really see the point of threads such as this.

"I don''t really see the point of threads such as this."

Honestly - I just thought Hoolahan''s performances might''ve changed his mind, and I wanted to find that out. Sorry if other people have hi-jacked the thread, but honestly, I just want to find out if Hoolie had changed the mind of his biggest critic.

[quote user="Cluck the Purist...."][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Deluded.

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="Delias Devonshire Dirtbox"]You wont see Smudger on here anymore, since his business went under he''s been working on the Bin lorries in Ipswich and doing a paper round for some extra cash[/quote]

[/quote]

Not much Irony here then

Maybe you should take your Smudger tinted specks off and remember the times he''s wished our football club into administration

Maybe if Smudger had spent less time spouting his crap on this message board and doing his one man protests standing outside Carrow road giving people abuse cos they wont join his little clan and a little more time making sure his business got through this economic crisis he wouldn''t be in this situation

I don''t know Smudger and therefore won''t comment about him.... Hoolahan on the other hand, was what made us look several classes above Oldham on Saturday. I don''t mean to dis them as they had selection problems, but WH controlled that game until his boss decided it was won and subbed him.

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="Cluck the Purist...."][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Deluded.

[/quote]

Ha ha ha.....rich indeed coming from such a pompous little arse...but then it''s always the case that those who benefit from the efforts of others hide behind their own weakness.

Get back into your pram and suckle your milk sonny.......

Main problem with a player like Wes is that he is either very good – or he’s a bit of liability.  There seems to be little consistency or ‘middle ground’ He’s a potential matchwinner, which means that we need him in the side – but he is likely to give possession away cheaply and that can lead to goals against.  Compare that to someone like Drury who has been solid all season, neither particularly brilliant nor bad.

Some sides have managed to suss Wes out and put a big man, or a couple of big men on him, and he’s not strong enough to break free.  Thus he was pretty anonymous vs Southend, crap vs Brentford but very good v Brighton.

Our strength is in the way our front 3 work – you can stop one but you cant stop them all.  In that way he is worthy of a place in the side – with different players and a different system, maybe not

[quote user="Barclay hero"]

Main problem with a player like Wes is that he is either very good – or he’s a bit of liability.

[/quote]See; trequartista.

[quote user="Barclay hero"]

Main problem with a player like Wes is that he is either very good – or he’s a bit of liability.  There seems to be little consistency or ‘middle ground’ He’s a potential matchwinner, which means that we need him in the side – but he is likely to give possession away cheaply and that can lead to goals against.  Compare that to someone like Drury who has been solid all season, neither particularly brilliant nor bad.

Some sides have managed to suss Wes out and put a big man, or a couple of big men on him, and he’s not strong enough to break free.  Thus he was pretty anonymous vs Southend, crap vs Brentford but very good v Brighton.

Our strength is in the way our front 3 work – you can stop one but you cant stop them all.  In that way he is worthy of a place in the side – with different players and a different system, maybe not[/quote]

It is strange how the memory works. Our most recent hero and legend Darren Huckerby frustrated fans several times most games, giving the ball away, holding on to it for too long, not being able to tackle or to head, not tracking back and leaving the defender exposed. You could hear the sighs, moans and groans. It seems that we have forgotten how we always forgave him because of the hope he gave us and the results he delivered and perhaps more importantly the apparant mutual adoration we shared of the club and each other(ahh).

I am not comparing their standards or achievements but there are obvious similarities to what they bring/brought to their respective teams and matches. Their talent comes at a price in many ways including the opposition knowing our predictable strength, it''s not a totally comfortable situation but what choice would be better, I certainly know my preference.

In the early days of Hucks we were not certain of his loyalty, but he proved that. Wes, for whatever reason, stayed during the summer and remained despite the speculation after Lambert''s arrival. Perhaps if he''s still here in February and maybe if he declares some affection for the club some attitudes and doubts may change and he will be the hero that Roeder forecast, just a shame he saw fit to get rid of the one we already had amongst other things.

Just like to add that I think both of them perform consistenly well but always a BIT of a liability and always a major threat.