Sign in to follow this  
First Jedi

Smudger - do you still think Hoolahan is rubbish?

Smudge - I presume you are still around and aren''t too scared by all the positivity? :)

You''ve always maintained Hoolahan is poor. You haven''t even claimed he is average, but overrated - but actually one of our worst players.

I think Hoolahan has performed fantastically, enough to change anyone''s opinion, and I''m hoping that has inspired a change in yours - hence the question;

After Hoolahan''s performances with year, do you still prescribe to your previous opinion of him being one of our worst players?

This isn''t intended as a p1$s take - I realise everyone has the right to change their opinion or stick to an unpopular one, no shame in that - it''s more curiosity to if Hoolahan has won you round?

Despite how well Hoolahan is playing at the moment, I will still be critical of him when he tries to do too much in the wrong areas of the pitch.  He can be great, but he needs to remember that he can''t beat everyone and sometimes a simple pass is better than talking on 11 men.

[quote user="Matt Juler"]

Despite how well Hoolahan is playing at the moment, I will still be critical of him when he tries to do too much in the wrong areas of the pitch.  He can be great, but he needs to remember that he can''t beat everyone and sometimes a simple pass is better than talking on 11 men.

[/quote]There is being critical and saying, play a simple ball.Then there is calling for him to be dropped, posting at HT in a game thats 0-0. Which you have done.

Just how was he found out in the Championship?????? He was one of our better players & I''m convinced we''d have stayed up had he not been injured. Oh & Smudgers opinion may not have changed as you have to be at the games to form your own opinion properly!

[quote user="Bruces Header"]. Oh & Smudgers opinion may not have changed as you have to be at the games to form your own opinion properly![/quote]

Smudger has been to several away games this season including Southend, how many have you been to ?

[quote user="CDMullins"]I still think hes horrible and a liability!

He''ll get found out in the championship as he did last year![/quote]SERIOUSLY?

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="Bruces Header"]. Oh & Smudgers opinion may not have changed as you have to be at the games to form your own opinion properly![/quote]

Smudger has been to several away games this season including Southend, how many have you been to ?

[/quote]

Season ticket holder & several away games including Southend on Tuesday night!

Was he chanting Delia out there as well? I sometimes wonder if he stands in the corner with his arms folded staring at the ground.I don''t believe for a second that he is as negative about the club in person as he is on here, I suppose it is that that I have a gripe with the most as he comes across as a self important ninny who revels in the negatives of anything to do with the club and generally an attention seeking whatshisface.Unfortunately his profile and posts on here is all I have to go by so I can only assume as to what he is like in real life, although I would like to put him straight on a few things.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="CDMullins"]I still think hes horrible and a liability! He''ll get found out in the championship as he did last year![/quote]

SERIOUSLY?
[/quote]

Yes really! I honestly dont see the hype! Dont get me wrong hes done well this year, but hes playing in a poor team in a poor division!

He doesnt have potential to be anybetter! He gives the ball away far too often and far too cheaply and mostly in the wrong area. Very lightweigh and im not even sure he owns a right leg.

If he did the simple thing in the right area and tried his tricks in the right area he''d could be a good player at this level, He will certinally never be a ''good'' championship player, nor play regular international football!

Some people need to realise that we are in the 3rd tier of English football, and whilst our players are doing well beating the drivvle were playing week in week out, were still not garunteed promotion, dont have a side that would avoid relagation in the championship, and is so far off where we want to be!

[quote user="CDMullins"]

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="CDMullins"]I still think hes horrible and a liability! He''ll get found out in the championship as he did last year![/quote]SERIOUSLY?[/quote]

Yes really! I honestly dont see the hype! Dont get me wrong hes done well this year, but hes playing in a poor team in a poor division!

He doesnt have potential to be anybetter! He gives the ball away far too often and far too cheaply and mostly in the wrong area. Very lightweigh and im not even sure he owns a right leg.

If he did the simple thing in the right area and tried his tricks in the right area he''d could be a good player at this level, He will certinally never be a ''good'' championship player, nor play regular international football!

Some people need to realise that we are in the 3rd tier of English football, and whilst our players are doing well beating the drivvle were playing week in week out, were still not garunteed promotion, dont have a side that would avoid relagation in the championship, and is so far off where we want to be!

[/quote]So 11 goals from midfield in a team that is shooting up the table and he is not even a ''good player at this level''? Jesus...

[quote user="CDMullins"]

Did I not say ''hes done well this year''

and

''he''ll never be a ''good'' CHAMPIONSHIP player''

[/quote]Your exact words were ''he COULD be a good player at this level''

[quote user="First Jedi"]Smudge - I presume you are still around and aren''t too scared by all the positivity? :)

You''ve always maintained Hoolahan is poor. You haven''t even claimed he is average, but overrated - but actually one of our worst players.

I think Hoolahan has performed fantastically, enough to change anyone''s opinion, and I''m hoping that has inspired a change in yours - hence the question;

After Hoolahan''s performances with year, do you still prescribe to your previous opinion of him being one of our worst players?

This isn''t intended as a p1$s take - I realise everyone has the right to change their opinion or stick to an unpopular one, no shame in that - it''s more curiosity to if Hoolahan has won you round?[/quote]

Lets face facts. Hoolahan wa spiss poor last season. What a difference a league makes

I have to admit, I wasnt his greatest fan last season, But to be fair, he has played brilliantly most games this season. However, I do agree with a few others when they said, Would he cut it in the Championship? I think yes, he could be a good player, but do I think that he could push us toward the top part of the Championship next season (assuming promotion from League 1) Im not so sure.

If you can still criticise the player you need to sort your head out. I''m pretty sure he didn''t play where he is now last season.

[quote user="CDMullins"]

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="CDMullins"]I still think hes horrible and a liability! He''ll get found out in the championship as he did last year![/quote]SERIOUSLY?[/quote]

[/quote]I''ve never understood this criticism of left footed players when they can''t use their right leg (except for standing on).Which City right footed city player can use their left leg?  For that matter, which right footed England player can use their left leg effectively?All in all it''s appalling how mono-footed most British footballers are - it''s not just a disease for left footers, althought they are the onlys who are ever diagnosed with the problem.

I''ve never understood this criticism of left footed players when they can''t use their right leg (except for standing on).Which

City right footed city player can use their left leg?  For that matter,

which right footed England player can use their left leg effectively?All

in all it''s appalling how mono-footed most British footballers are -

it''s not just a disease for left footers, althought they are the onlys

who are ever diagnosed with the problem.

I have to say this is possibly the best post i have ever read on this site......(yep i dont know how to quote)

I am not sure what is wrong with fan''s expectations these days.....if you watch la liga or serie A, the players on display have infintely better technique than England''s finest.  Sure there are some very gifted players in the premiership, but then how many are English? Ouir obsession with pace and kick and rush football gets us to a point, but has not won us a major international tournament for a long long time.Coaching still needs a massive working over in the UK. Id love to see how they coach the youngsters coming through at the academy....how many are two footed? How many run with the ball whilst keeping their heads up and looking for options? Slightly off topic as far as the thread is concerned i guess, but it does bare thinking about.....Hools is one footed, but as the poster so rightly pointed out so is the rest of our squad?!Only top quality player (technique wise)i can think of off the top of my head in England  is Joe Cole and if we can fit him back into the national side then im sure we should have a pretty decent WC.

That Hoolahan is playing in the lowly Div 1 is indisputable but the fact that he is shining so bright proves he''s one of the best players around when in his ''hole'' position and in a good team like our current one. Just as Clingan was our bit of quality last season so Hoolahan is this season. Sure he may be a luxury against some teams - but provided he''s not played out of position, that bit of class is there for the entire team. And what''s more, he can finish! I have no doubt he will be playing in the Championship next season - and proving his worth.

[quote user="CDMullins"]I still think hes horrible and a liability! He''ll get found out in the championship as he did last year![/quote]

Fool!

And there was me thinking that the minute he got crocked v Plymouth was the minute we stopped creating any chances. He came back into the team and was our main attcking threat.

That was in a team void of confidence. Imagine if we go up and we are going well! He will be at the heart of it all.

Good enough for ''Boro and Swansea to be sniffing around, bothtop 7 Championship teams! 

[quote user="6088m canary"]I''ve never understood this criticism of left footed players when they can''t use their right leg (except for standing on).Which

City right footed city player can use their left leg?  For that matter,

which right footed England player can use their left leg effectively?All

in all it''s appalling how mono-footed most British footballers are -

it''s not just a disease for left footers, althought they are the onlys

who are ever diagnosed with the problem.

I have to say this is possibly the best post i have ever read on this site......(yep i dont know how to quote)

I am not sure what is wrong with fan''s expectations these days.....if you watch la liga or serie A, the players on display have infintely better technique than England''s finest.  Sure there are some very gifted players in the premiership, but then how many are English? Ouir obsession with pace and kick and rush football gets us to a point, but has not won us a major international tournament for a long long time.Coaching still needs a massive working over in the UK. Id love to see how they coach the youngsters coming through at the academy....how many are two footed? How many run with the ball whilst keeping their heads up and looking for options? Slightly off topic as far as the thread is concerned i guess, but it does bare thinking about.....Hools is one footed, but as the poster so rightly pointed out so is the rest of our squad?!Only top quality player (technique wise)i can think of off the top of my head in England  is Joe Cole and if we can fit him back into the national side then im sure we should have a pretty decent WC.

[/quote]This man knows.English coaching is based on shoddy old ideas of kick and rush, direct football. It leaves no room for possession or technique. That''s the manuals, training courses and so on. This is best explained by Jonathan Wilson in Inverting The Pyramid.It is, as I often call it, an English disease. As is the expectation that League One players should all be two footed. It''s a criticism that would have some weight in the Prem, but not all the time, and especially not here. Joe Cole is an exception to the rule. And he''s superb.