Sign in to follow this  
barclaybabe

Whats going to happen to Leeds?

They have done it two seasons running i think, failed to get promotion. Will they suddenly have a bad run? i can see it happening.

Look at MK dons, in 9th place now, they were one of the favourites.

Leeds have an excellent manager who knows about getting out of this league, a big squad, a very tight defensive line and if they hang onto Beckford in January enough goals to stay the distance and will have learnt from their experiences of the last couple of years. 

For me it is a battle for second place this season - and I reckon Charlton are there for the taking.

i have to work with a load of ''dirty'' leeds fans up here in huddersfield. They reckon we are the best side they have played this season. I think they will go up, with us in second position. I can''t see charlton hanging on. But then, i don''t care as long as we go up and the binners go down!!!

Leeds are probably guilty of taking their foot off the gas...understandable when they are so far ahead. I think they will refocus as things get tighter at the top and they will push on. Our next home game against Huddersfield will be a strong marker of our pedigree for automatic promotion. We ARE the form team, but we have got to have good performances against the contenders in this league or we are destined for the hard route via Wembley.

I think that it is still possible for them to slip up. It''s not just because of the last two years, but if they win their next few games they might a bit too excited about winning the title and start relaxing a bit, thinking that they definately will. This could cause their performance to go down. If they lost their FA Cup replay against Kettering at Elland Road, I think that it could also have a very big effect on them. However, I can''t really see them losing the replay and I''m certain that they will be the League 1 champions

[quote user="Buckethead"]January could be a difficult time for Leeds since as far as I''m aware Beckfords contract expires next summer.[/quote]So you think we''ll be making a bid for him then?

I hope not. Much rather we tried to tempt Lee Barnard if we tried to sign another striker.

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="Buckethead"]January could be a difficult time for Leeds since as far as I''m aware Beckfords contract expires next summer.[/quote]So you think we''ll be making a bid for him then?[/quote]No not us sadly but then if he''s lining up for any team other than Leeds in February that can only be good for our own aspirations.

So many people seem to think it is a foregone conclusion that Leeds are going up, but there''s a hell of a long way to go yet for us all. Absolutely nothing is decided after just 20 games. Yes they look good right now, but I seem to remember a couple of seasons ago that Watford were cruising the Championship, miles ahead of everyone in November/December (came to Carrow Road and stuffed us in mid-November), but fell away badly and barely got into the play-offs where they lost to Hull.

All it takes is a poor run of form and/or injuries to a few key players, and sides that previously looked brilliant can start to look very ordinary. The problem is that this is something that can happen to any side - including us.

[quote]All it takes is a poor run of form and/or injuries to a few key

players, and sides that previously looked brilliant can start to look

very ordinary.[/quote]Injuries is the thing that will slow them down if anything, they can do for any team - Man Utd are taking one recognised defender into their Champions League match at Wolsburg tonight, could be a touch of the Keegans about that game.

I wonder whether we should put in a bid for Beckford to try and deliberately unsettle him and Leeds. And spark off interest from championship clubs etc right at the start of January.

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]I wonder whether we should put in a bid for Beckford to try and deliberately unsettle him and Leeds. And spark off interest from championship clubs etc right at the start of January.[/quote]

Do you really think that would unsettle him or Leeds? They would laugh us off. Life isn''t like a game of Football Manager..

[quote user="Larry David"]

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]I wonder whether we should put in a bid for Beckford to try and deliberately unsettle him and Leeds. And spark off interest from championship clubs etc right at the start of January.[/quote]

Do you really think that would unsettle him or Leeds? They would laugh us off. Life isn''t like a game of Football Manager..

[/quote]Damn - Larry David has gone public with his assertion that life isn''t like a game of football manager.  Do I back up his position, and try to keep him happy, or do I lambast him in public and risk losing him in January ?Decisions decisions...

well i cant see leeds keeping it up, if they lose beckford, but one player dont make a team, so if they lose it, you can tell something is wrong.

well up the league for us, as long as we keep pressing, then the pressure is on leeds

Interesting thread. First of all Leeds haven''t taken their foot of the gas! We played with 4 reserve defenders against easily the best attacking team in this division (they''re shite defensively but thats another matter) couple that with the fact that we didn''t play particularly well, yet we still got a point!

We don''t play a single team in the top half of the table (except the rearranged Swindon game) between now and end of January and I fully expect us to be a long way ahead come that point.

For the record I think you''re nailed on for 2nd if you keep up the way you''re playing but everyone says Leeds can''t keep their form up, yet you''re the form team!! We have a squad that dwarfs the rest of this division in terms of numbers and quality so injuries and suspensions will affect us little.

Oh and to the poster talking about bidding for Beckford... why would he be unsettled by a bid from a lower ranked team when he could be on the verge of his 1st professional honour with Leeds United and with all due respect (i don''t wanna cause a big row on what seems to be a decent forum) why would any young, up and coming player leave Leeds United for Norwich City??

[quote user="EYEBALL119"]why would any young, up and coming player leave Leeds United for Norwich City??[/quote]To play in front of a full house.  To get regular first team football if they''re good enough.  To play for a team that won''t choke in the last 3 months of the season.

No I''m sorry EYEBALL119 the Beckford idea was silly and would never work anyway. On the same token I would be annoyed if someone did it to one of our players in the same situation.

Probably one of those moments when I should have taken a little moment longer to think what I was writing before I clicked post.

You could catch Leeds but you would need to win nearly every game til the end of the season to do it. Leeds have only lost 1 league game all season and would need to mess up big time for Norwich to catch us.

Norwich will experience injuries and it is almost nailed on that you will drop points over the winter,same as Leeds will but the gap is too big which was all down to your early poor form at the start of the season.

Leeds are very consistant. Ok we drew on saturday but that was a derby game from a team that beat us the last 3 times anyway, but unbeaten at home in the league for a year speaks volumes winning 95% of them.Also we have won about the last 8 from 9 away games.Both Leeds and Norwich have the best current form winning 5 games drawn 1 lost 0 so you havent gained any points from us in 6 games and only 1 point the 6 games before that. How both teams are playing right now it would take Norwich about 2 years to make up the difference in points.

Realistically you should be thinking about trying to catch Charlton now.

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-one/2009-2010/form-table/full

I think we will over take them on the last day of the season and we will go up as champions!

I think southampton may start climbing the table soon catching us up! [:P]