Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Bargains in League 1 and 2

There must be many out there in all positions, the trick is having a scouting regime that can spot them. Over the years we have done pretty well when dipping into the lower leagues, this and youth policy presents us with the best way forward. Any names out there that would be good buys ?

[quote]bennett of grimsbyle fondre of rotherhamodejayi of col ucurtis main of darlington[/quote]I wouldn''t mind Le Fonre, but I think he''s on a lengthy contract.

Le fondre is a quality player and was the subject of much speculation during the summer when somehow rotherham managed to secure his signature and are now reaping the benefits...another ex-rochdale striker to join the list and well worth a look at as a replacement should anything happen to Holt.As for the others main is doing alright, bennett I don''t know much about and although doing well currently I''m not a huge fan of odejayi I have to admit...oh and add everyone''s favourate adomah from barnet!

[quote user="The Lord"]Le fondre is a quality player and was the subject of much speculation during the summer when somehow rotherham managed to secure his signature and are now reaping the benefits...another ex-rochdale striker to join the list and well worth a look at as a replacement should anything happen to Holt.As for the others main is doing alright, bennett I don''t know much about and although doing well currently I''m not a huge fan of odejayi I have to admit...oh and add everyone''s favourate adomah from barnet![/quote]main is still 16/17? very raw.Bennett was released from ipswich and was subject to interest and became grimsby''s youngest ever captain last year and odejayi i believe has skill but is very much a confidence player

[quote user="missing in action"]bennett of grimsbyle fondre of rotherhamodejayi of col ucurtis main of darlington[/quote]Bennett now plays for Posh.

[quote user="fonejacker"][quote user="missing in action"]bennett of grimsbyle fondre of rotherhamodejayi of col ucurtis main of darlington[/quote]Bennett now plays for Posh.[/quote]we shall have to pinch him when we overtake them!

I don’t like this ‘barging’ mentality. If you pay peanuts you get monkeys. If NCFC mainly buy League 1 and League 2 players they will become a League 1 side.

Our two best ‘bargains’ of recent time have been Earnshaw and Ashton. These were players who came in and did a fantastic job before being sold on for big profits. Lets pay the going rate and get good players.

[quote user="Being Jan Kristiansen..."]

I don’t like this ‘barging’ mentality. If you pay peanuts you get monkeys. If NCFC mainly buy League 1 and League 2 players they will become a League 1 side.

Our two best ‘bargains’ of recent time have been Earnshaw and Ashton. These were players who came in and did a fantastic job before being sold on for big profits. Lets pay the going rate and get good players.[/quote]

...but what if you only have peanuts.........

Our two best ‘bargains’ of recent time have been Earnshaw and Ashton. These were players who came in and did a fantastic job before being sold on for big profits. Lets pay the going rate and get good players.[/quote]Did we make a profit on Earnie??

Our two best ‘bargains’ of recent time have been Earnshaw and Ashton. These were players who came in and did a fantastic job before being sold on for big profits. Lets pay the going rate and get good players.[/quote]Sorry but I wouldn''t say they were bargains. I would say they were both about spot on the money.Ashton was a risk - he may not have made  the step up to the premiership and if he hadn''t £3mill would have proven costly. However the fact that he did made him worth the £7mil that West Ham paid for him.Earnshaw for me was the upper end of spot on the money. Wouldn''t say he is worth any more that is for sure.As for bargains, Askou and Holt look to be the biggest bargains recently. I don''t care what anyone says but if you had been offered a 20+ goal a season striker for £400k I think most of us would have taken it. Not to mention I have a feeling that £400k has clauses in it such as promotion, don''t think we paid that much for him yet. Hoolahan was around £250k wasn''t he? Again not very costly considering his contribution. Lets not forget Forster who is on a season long loan, probably the best loan we have had since Huckerby in terms of impact on results.Biggest bargain in the current Norwich squad? That has to be between Drury and Holt at the moment.

Our two best ‘bargains’ of recent time have been Earnshaw and Ashton. These were players who came in and did a fantastic job before being sold on for big profits. Lets pay the going rate and get good players.[/quote]During our most successful years in the 2nd half of the 80s and the first half of the 90s loads of our best players were signed from the lower leagues?I quite like what i''ve seen of Gillingham''s Simeon Jackson. 

Although it looks like we will be signing Russell Martin in January on a permanent. One player in the right back position that has impressed me in our games against them was Carlisle''s Richard Keogh.... I think he had abit of a shocker last weekend though.  Obviously we lack a natural right winger too so Adomah seems ths logical choice with his contract up in the summer, I feel he will probably go to a Championship club though in January. The left back Billy Jones at Crewe is a similar situation too where we might be able to pick him up on the cheap. Other than that Lee Barnard at Southend is scoring regulary as is a threat to most League One defences and maybe Championship ones too, definitely a stand out League One player and not to sure how finacially stable Southend are atm so could be worth a bid perhaps?   I think the major problem is any quality players in both League One & Two aren''t as cheap as we think if they are on long contracts and we will have to compete for them with a multiple amount of clubs both top League One and Lower Championship.  

Simeon Jackson will cost best part of a million if not more... I would like Norwich to go for Gillingham''s Barry Fuller... Although I find the thought of signing a player with the name ''Barry'' a disturbing one, he is a thoroughly decent player.

Oh and I rate Le fondre... forgot to add... saying we shouldn''t be signing L2 players is a bit silly... Holt was a L2 player... 19 goals this season as well Simeon Jackson last season... There are players in that league who are hungry and could easily do a job in L1 or the Championship...

Watford picked up Graham from Carlisle in the summer and he already has 7 goals...

It''s finding the jems in a pile of rubble that is the key... In Lambert and Kersa I feel we have two people very well suited to finding said jems.

Our two best ‘bargains’ of recent time have been Earnshaw and Ashton. These were players who came in and did a fantastic job before being sold on for big profits. Lets pay the going rate and get good players.[/quote]

we havent got the cash to spend big money. we have to pick up the best players we can with small resources, at the minute i have been very happy with our signings, which have cost barely nothing. such as askou on a free, holt only cost £350k.