Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Norwich City moment of the decade?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

December 5th 2000. The day the board, having accepted Hamiltons resignation, put Worthy in charge. That was the catalyst for all your favourite moments of the decade.[:O]

I think August 18th 2009 could have a similar affect on our favourite moments of the next decade[Y]

[/quote]

One difference being that Worthy had to virtually demand the job whilst Lambert was literally headhunted.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

December 5th 2000. The day the board, having accepted Hamiltons resignation, put Worthy in charge. That was the catalyst for all your favourite moments of the decade.[:O]

I think August 18th 2009 could have a similar affect on our favourite moments of the next decade[Y]

[/quote]

One difference being that Worthy had to virtually demand the job whilst Lambert was literally headhunted.

OTBC

[/quote]

What point are you trying to make.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]Blys'' point is that headhunting is a mans'' pastime, being persuaded is a woman perogative.Do you know nutty, I can never tell if Bly is a misogynist, or a woman pretending to be a misogynist.

For me Stockport at home stands out (when we got into the play-offs).  Partly because we had a great weekend on the broads, sharing a 2L bottle of bourbon whilst cruising into the City in time to hit riverside at midday, and partly because i don`t recollect a feeling amongst City fans that we were going to do it- i think most people assumed Burnley would win so the surprise aspect and the tension of waiting for the Burnley result created sheer delirium at the end.  I think the fact that we`d had so many years of league 1 uneventful drudgery also added to the euphoria.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

[|-)]

OTBC

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

Blys'' point is that headhunting is a mans'' pastime, being persuaded is a woman perogative.

Do you know nutty, I can never tell if Bly is a misogynist, or a woman pretending to be a misogynist.
[/quote]

I think I''ll pass this ''un by my psychiatrist pal.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

Blys'' point is that headhunting is a mans'' pastime, being persuaded is a woman perogative.

Do you know nutty, I can never tell if Bly is a misogynist, or a woman pretending to be a misogynist.
[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

So why are you on this thread[:^)]

What is your Norwich City Moment of the Decade[:^)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

So why are you on this thread[:^)]

[/quote]

This ''un too.

OTBC

My choice of the Norwich City moment of the decade will arrive at midnight on 31 December 2009 when we shall be able to celebrate the fact that we shall be lucky enough at the end of a rocky decade to be still playing ''good football'' in a real, traditional football stadium. 

And long may that continue.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

My choice of the Norwich City moment of the decade will arrive at midnight on 31 December 2009 when we shall be able to celebrate the fact that we shall be lucky enough at the end of a rocky decade to be still playing ''good football'' in a real, traditional football stadium. 

OTBC

[/quote]

Well good luck with that.

I''ll spend a few moments reflecting on my memories of the great games, goals and occasions throughout the decade of times I spent with my children, grandchildren and friends following our beloved football club and related activities.

Still... each to their own.

10. The last 10 minutes of the Middlesborough game

9. Beating the scum 3-1 2004

8. Stockport at Home 2002, when the final whistle went at Burnley v Coventry 

7. Crystal Palace 3-0 Sunderland at Selhurst without about 15 Capital Canaries, knowing we were going up

6. Iwan''s goal in Cardiff

5. Top of the league at Portman Road

4. Norwich City 2-0 Manchester United

3. Phil Mulryne''s winner at Reading - Easter Monday 2004

2. Signing Darren Huckerby when it seemed like the chance had gone

1. Malky''s goal against Wolves at Carra Rud in the playoff semi''s

City''s man of the decade: Darren Huckerby, Worthy didn''t get us promoted Huckerby did. Worthy was in the right place at the right time and it took him 4 months to work out where to play Hucks! Any man who thinks Peter Thorne, Jurgen Colin, Zema Abbey, Andy Roberts, Elvis Hammond, Paul Heckingbottom, Keith Briggs, Jason Jarrett and Andy Hughes, Matthieu Louis-Jean, Zesh Rehman and Carl Robinson were decent players is automatically excluded from winning the award!!

For me the Cardiff play-off final stands out, even though we lost.  A thoroughly surreal day.  Getting stuck at a midlands train station, the suggestion of menace from tens of Birmingham fans who were harassing a single railway guard for a late train that was out of her control, the offer of a lift from someone who turned out to be a sports journalist, the sheer height of the stadium ( I don''t do heights), the ridiculous penalty shoot-out with its'' many Birmingham pitch invasions, the Birmingham fans who were all too willing to shake hands and say lovely things about us afterwards and Robert Green trying, and only just failing to get a ball on the stupidly high roof.

Your list is why I reckon Worthy was "man of the decade" Essex. If he didn''t get us promoted he certainly got us Huckerby. And Hucks wasn''t there in 2002.

I make Hucks a close second though[;)]

Your list is why I reckon Worthy was "man of the decade" Essex. If he didn''t get us promoted he certainly got us Huckerby. And Hucks wasn''t there in 2002.

I make Hucks a close second though[;)]

[/quote]

hux 2nd phaaa no way!!!

roeder getting hoolahan comes 2nd!! then gunn gettting holt and cody 3rd and 4th

huckerrrr er... who??[;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

I''ll spend a few moments reflecting on my memories of the great games, goals and occasions throughout the decade of times I spent with my children, grandchildren and friends following our beloved football club and related activities.

[/quote]

Hats off.

You''re certainly an ace with sanctimony, Joe.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hats off.

OTBC

[/quote]So you didn''t get to the games Bly, at least you should have a nice tan by now.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hats off.

OTBC

[/quote]

I honestly believe you are serious about your choice on moment of the decade. To recognise achievement  is a bridge to far for you.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hats off.

OTBC

[/quote]

I honestly believe you are serious about your choice on moment of the decade. To recognise achievement  is a bridge to far for you.

[/quote]

No Joe, I recognise achievement and you recognise underachievement.

Seems you don''t understand the difference.

For example, Robert Chase achieved - even overachieved - whereas Worthington, the Doc and Delia have generally underachieved.

Now Lambert, he looks like an achiever and I bet you he''s just loving getting his team to play good, winning football in a finely modernised, traditional football stadium. Early doors yet though.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hats off.

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

No Joe, I recognise achievement and you recognise underachievement.

Seems you don''t understand the difference.

For example, Robert Chase achieved - even overachieved - whereas Worthington, the Doc and Delia have generally underachieved.

Now Lambert, he looks like an achiever and I bet you he''s just loving getting his team to play good, winning football in a finely modernised, traditional football stadium. Early doors yet though.

OTBC

[/quote]

Here here....

Seems to me that to say such things in Delialalaland takes you into the "denier" bracket.... along with this man-made global warming tosh the lefties are pushing........

Smith and her cohorts have failed miserably.... or are we not really in Division Three and 20 odd million in debt?

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Cluck, your comment is funny for about 3 different reasons, and each one of them made me laugh! Cheers![/quote]

Cluck, you must be thrilled at reeling people in so easily. When will you people learn, he doesn''t mean any of it.

On the topic, I''d have to go for Malky''s goal against Wolves as the one single best moment - the sign that good times were on their way back.

A day in the sun at Watford was pretty special too.

I can''t believe there are still people decrying Worthy''s achievements. If Delia has run the club so badly, then surely getting the team to the Premier League in the middle of it must be a bit of an achievement? Nutty''s right. Pretty much all of the best moments of the 00s came with Nigel at the helm. Surely the dross we''ve had since should make people realise how lucky we were? Yes, it ended badly, but it always ends badly for football managers, from Sir Alf Ramsey down...

My word I only wanted to know peoples favourite moment on the last 10 years supporting Norwich. Now I am not going to argue this has been a golden decade but if you cant even enjoy one moment of the last 10 years following Norwich I suggest you just give up on football all together.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Cluck, your comment is funny for about 3 different reasons, and each one of them made me laugh! Cheers![/quote]

Hair hair to that then........

Blimey... I''ve got an American friend at last!  [<:o)]

I''m sure it can''t last though..........

[quote user="king canary"]My word I only wanted to know peoples favourite moment on the last 10 years supporting Norwich. Now I am not going to argue this has been a golden decade but if you cant even enjoy one moment of the last 10 years following Norwich I suggest you just give up on football all together.
[/quote]

Apologies King Canary. It''s because I posted I guess. And poor old Bly doesn''t have any memories of this decade but he still followed me here.

Anyway, the first few years were as happy as any for me. My daughter was 15 as we went into this decade and she got me back into the habit of doing the away games. She started going to home games just as Chase took us to the bottom of the Second Division so she had never known success and our good times under Worthy were as precious to her as those Ron Saunders days were to me thirty years before.

I still believe the big moment of the decade was giving Worthy the job and I do know that you were genuinely having a laugh with your earlier comment. Worthy is definitely the "man of the decade for me". Then Hucks and then Iwan. The guy earlier who concentrated on what he believed was Worthy''s poor signings just shows how twisted people became after we were relegated from the Premiership in 2005. But he''s entitled to his opinion. I just wonder what sort of decade it would habe been without Worthy. No Hucks I expect but we could have done better? Or Worse? Who knows.

Loads of great moments listed already but here''s some more. The first one is from when  Hamilton was manager. The game that got him the job actually with our 2-0 win at the portaloo. Two great goals from Iwan, one Bergkampesque, in a game where we were expected to be anhialated. It was my daughters first game there and what a way to start. I remember telling her to make the most of it because it doesn''t always happen like that but it did for a few years. That day is right up there with the best for me.

There was not much else to get excited about until Worthy time! And the very next season the super stars of Manchester City visited Carrow Road and another magic moment for me was substitute Marc Libra''s 20 second goal. Viva Marc Libra!! Despite his dour image Worthy always tried to put flair and excitement in the top half of his team.

The play offs have been well covered on here but I also remember the last minute goal McVeigh got at Bradford in a game we had no right to win. As we left the ground that afternoon we really did believe the play offs were on. Then of course the day we took 4,000 fans to Barnsley. That same season we also should have beaten Chelsea in the FA Cup, only all those saves from Cudicini got them the replay.

Most of the other big moments have been documented by others. I enjoyed them all, even in the last few seasons there have been goals and performances to remember. Huckerby''s solo effort at home to Birmingham and Ched Evans great strike at Cardiff. This was a worthwhile thread and I''m sorry that those who have got nothing to offer it had to come here and spoil it.

[quote user="king canary"]My word I only wanted to know peoples favourite moment on the last 10 years supporting Norwich. Now I am not going to argue this has been a golden decade but if you cant even enjoy one moment of the last 10 years following Norwich I suggest you just give up on football all together.
[/quote]

Apologies King Canary. It''s because I posted I guess. And poor old Bly doesn''t have any memories of this decade but he still followed me here.

Anyway, the first few years were as happy as any for me. My daughter was 15 as we went into this decade and she got me back into the habit of doing the away games. She started going to home games just as Chase took us to the bottom of the Second Division so she had never known success and our good times under Worthy were as precious to her as those Ron Saunders days were to me thirty years before.

I still believe the big moment of the decade was giving Worthy the job and I do know that you were genuinely having a laugh with your earlier comment. Worthy is definitely the "man of the decade for me". Then Hucks and then Iwan. The guy earlier who concentrated on what he believed was Worthy''s poor signings just shows how twisted people became after we were relegated from the Premiership in 2005. But he''s entitled to his opinion. I just wonder what sort of decade it would habe been without Worthy. No Hucks I expect but we could have done better? Or Worse? Who knows.

Loads of great moments listed already but here''s some more. The first one is from when  Hamilton was manager. The game that got him the job actually with our 2-0 win at the portaloo. Two great goals from Iwan, one Bergkampesque, in a game where we were expected to be anhialated. It was my daughters first game there and what a way to start. I remember telling her to make the most of it because it doesn''t always happen like that but it did for a few years. That day is right up there with the best for me.

There was not much else to get excited about until Worthy time! And the very next season the super stars of Manchester City visited Carrow Road and another magic moment for me was substitute Marc Libra''s 20 second goal. Viva Marc Libra!! Despite his dour image Worthy always tried to put flair and excitement in the top half of his team.

The play offs have been well covered on here but I also remember the last minute goal McVeigh got at Bradford in a game we had no right to win. As we left the ground that afternoon we really did believe the play offs were on. Then of course the day we took 4,000 fans to Barnsley. That same season we also should have beaten Chelsea in the FA Cup, only all those saves from Cudicini got them the replay.

Most of the other big moments have been documented by others. I enjoyed them all, even in the last few seasons there have been goals and performances to remember. Huckerby''s solo effort at home to Birmingham and Ched Evans great strike at Cardiff. This was a worthwhile thread and I''m sorry that those who have got nothing to offer it had to come here and spoil it.

[/quote]

''The Beano'' and ''Roy of the Rovers'' stuff interspersed with snide comments.

Classic  Honest Joe.

[*]

OTBC

So have you got a single moment of the decade to share on here? Or is winning a few games in the Third Division the pinacle for you. You and your ilk don''t make sense. If the good times in the first half of the decade are under achievement what on earth does that make this season?

So have you got a single moment of the decade to share on here? Or is winning a few games in the Third Division the pinacle for you. You and your ilk don''t make sense. If the good times in the first half of the decade are under achievement what on earth does that make this season?

[/quote]

Well, a lot of the debate depends upon one''s vision - whether one has 20/20 like me or uncorrected shortsight with astigmatism like ''you and your ilk''.

My second moment of the decade (as I''ve already given one - which you''ve conveniently ignored for the purposes of this this part of the argument, I suppose) was City''s second goal in the 2-0 home premiership win against Manchester United starting with Rooney being robbed of the ball in his own half - after the ''big guns'' had been brought on by Fergie to win the game.

OTBC

If it''s purely a ''moment'', I''d go for Ashton''s winner against Newcastle deep into injury time about two minutes after they''d brought it back to 1-1. From heartbreak to pure joy in one hundred and twenty seconds. It also looked like we were destined to stay in the Premiership