Sign in to follow this  
George Smiley

The Damned utd

This is probably old  hat  but i just saw  "the Damned utd"  on dvd.Top film  and thoughly entertaining with a brilliant script.Cloughie was one of the reasons i grew up loving the game so much but i only really knew about him from his Forest times.Liked the way his Nottingham forest teams always played football on the deck and would never contest a refs decision.This made me wonder ,what would happen if we tried the same approach? Surely refs would give us the benefit of the doubt of any 50-50 split decisions after we had earned a reputation for it.How many points would that be worth a season?Best 3 parts of the film ...Clough shouting "Bollocks to Don Revie!!" in the middle of Elland road in front of Bremner , Giles etc,The Derby chairman telling him exactly who was boss and The TV showdown with him and Revie (You would never see that these days with Ferguson and Wenger).Oh for a similar manager coming along and making Norwich City football club champions of Europe.

Top film. from videos of cloughie i have seen, Michael Sheen played the role brilliantly. Some of BC''s quotes will be remembered for many years to come!

A couple more vids which may be of interest.http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=5909301389677463182#http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=5909301389677463182#docid=-4398863229905735296I''ve recently watched the film too and it''s a great bit of football based entertainment. It''s not spectacularly accurate which is a shame as I''m sure the truth would have been just as entertaining. Especially if this interview is anything to go by.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]Family hated it, tried to stop it with a High Court injunction.[/quote]Couldn''t your family just have asked you to turn it off and put Corrie on instead?Oh, I seeeee.....

[quote user="Camuldonum"]Family hated it, tried to stop it with a High Court injunction.[/quote]The film was a lot less dark than the book as an attempt to sweeten up the family. For all their complaints you have to wonder just how much anyone really knows about what goes through the mind of an egotistical alcoholic like Cloughie. Although it''s obviously not nice to see someone you loved being portrayed in such a manner.I''d definitely recommend the book over the film though. I read it from cover to cover in about three days.

In hindsight, I think it would have been funnier to suggest that Clough''s family just turn it off and put Corrie on instead... ho hums, can I start that one again? [:)]