Sign in to follow this  
Chunky Norwich

Ashton retires

[quote user="london Canary"]

[quote user="First Wizard"]Good, not sorry at all, West Ham deserved him![/quote]

attention seeking fool.....

i don''t blame ashton one bit that he left, (obviously i would have been overjoyed if he''d stayed) he was miles better than the team he was playing in. I will always remember i was at QPR away in our first season back in the championship, and it was the usual guttless performance we came to expect in that year, the crowd we''re singing "what a load of rubbish!" Ashton turned round to the crowd and gave a jesture as if to say what more do you want me to do, He absolutely run his socks off that day by the way, head and shoulders above the rest of his team mates.......I think his strike partner was ian henderson ....Say no more!!! 

shame we never got to see him and rooney up front for england

[/quote]

Go to hell dear.

I''ve just said what many hypocrites on here were too timid to say..

Really sad news for the lad. A great player, one of the best I''ve seen to put on the yellow shirt. Almost kept us up in the premiership, kept us going in the championship. If doncaster wasn''t such a tight b* he would have been here in the summer and we probably wouldn''t be where we are now. He can look back on a very prolific career and a successful one. It''s just such a shame that such a talent is out at such a young age. I have no doubt, that without the injury problems he would be a big part of the england set-up. He was always leap years ahead of the other england strikers.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="london Canary"]

[quote user="First Wizard"]Good, not sorry at all, West Ham deserved him![/quote]

attention seeking fool.....

i don''t blame ashton one bit that he left, (obviously i would have been overjoyed if he''d stayed) he was miles better than the team he was playing in. I will always remember i was at QPR away in our first season back in the championship, and it was the usual guttless performance we came to expect in that year, the crowd we''re singing "what a load of rubbish!" Ashton turned round to the crowd and gave a jesture as if to say what more do you want me to do, He absolutely run his socks off that day by the way, head and shoulders above the rest of his team mates.......I think his strike partner was ian henderson ....Say no more!!! 

shame we never got to see him and rooney up front for england

[/quote]

Go to hell dear.

I''ve just said what many hypocrites on here were too timid to say..

[/quote]

WizAshton (at the time he was with us) was an young player, looking to progress his career - which for any quality player means pulling on your country''s jersey.   His move to Norwich was a gamble, which very nearly paid off, but it did enough to put him in the shop window once we were relegated.   There''s no way that he would have been considered for an England cap while playing in a very mediocre Norwich team languishing in the lower half of the Championship so he did what every footballer would do - he left.As for those trying to bring the loyalty card into this debate & Huckerby, I think we can safely say that Hucks was found out in the Premiership - a great player yes, but he wasn''t the mercurial talisman that saved us from the Championship.  Yes, he was loyal & yes he played his heart out for the team, but I would be seriously suprised if he was ever in the position to jump ship to (what was then) a decent Premiership team.Wiz, I wonder, have you ever moved job because the pay & conditions were more attractive?  Or did you remain in the same job from when you left school?It''s absolutely pathetic to see the comments on here from people slagging him off because he had the temerity to want to progress his career rather than stay at a club in a downward spiral to the lower reaches of the football league....

From BBC

Curbishley certainly wished he could have called upon the services of West Ham''s £7.25m signing more frequently.

On the former Charlton manager''s first day in charge at Upton Park, back in December 2006, he was told he would be able to put Ashton''s name on the teamsheet within a month.

While I sympathise with Ashton''s position, I agree with the sentiments echoed in Wiz''s posts following Ashton''s disgraceful behaviour which lead to his move. While deliberate or not, there can be no doubt that his head was turned early on and he failed to really turn it on except where he knew he would be seen by the most watching scouts. In my eyes, Robert Earnshaw did more in his time here for Norwich City than Ashton did.

Thats a real shame and must be quite distressing for him. I don''t like to see this happen to anyone so young especially with so much talent.

Good luck Dean in whatever you decide to do.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="Wings of a sparrow"]

The game ain''t like it used to be in the good old days Pete, run by agents for the filling of players pockets and nothing else - loyalty to a club is not a concept anymore.

Ashton never shirked his Norwich responsibilities whilst wearing the shirt. 

[/quote]

He was here for all of 12 MONTHS !!, the last 6 of of which (i.e the championship half) - he didn''t give a damn. I must have missed that testimonial.

[/quote]

Exactly, he didn''t get his nickname Cashton for nowt.

Wiz that is just plain nasty.

[quote user="PKC"]

Wiz that is just plain nasty.

[/quote]

Jeez PKC, I thought I was being nice![:|]

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="Wings of a sparrow"]

The game ain''t like it used to be in the good old days Pete, run by agents for the filling of players pockets and nothing else - loyalty to a club is not a concept anymore.

[/quote]

He was here for all of 12 MONTHS !!, the last 6 of of which (i.e the championship half) - he didn''t give a damn. I must have missed that testimonial.

[/quote]

[/quote]

OK so what would you have done in his shoes. You’ve been sold a job by your manager and its clear after a year that all his promises were not coming to fruition and the business is struggling. You’re only young and not from the area and another business is willing to double your salary as well as a very very nice signing on fee. Would you really stay?

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="Wings of a sparrow"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

OK so what would you have done in his shoes. You’ve been sold a job by your manager and its clear after a year that all his promises were not coming to fruition and the business is struggling. You’re only young and not from the area and another business is willing to double your salary as well as a very very nice signing on fee. Would you really stay?

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[quote user="Larry David"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="Wings of a sparrow"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ask Hucks, he will tell you what dedication to a club and fans is about.  We were nothing but a shop window for DA.

Rats always desert a sinking ship

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Larry David"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="Wings of a sparrow"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ask Hucks, he will tell you what dedication to a club and fans is about.  We were nothing but a shop window for DA.

[/quote]

You could ask Hucks why he joined Leeds?

Ashton was a good player and had the potential to be a great player and it is a shame for him to have to retire this early.  However I personally feel no sympathy for him.  I met him a couple of times and he was very arrogant, also I believe he only saw Norwich as a stepping stone.  He would always give 100% but as soon as he heard there was a number of premier league clubs interested in him that changed and I so wished that we got West Ham in a cup during his time there so we could give him absolute hell.

Unlucky Dean, in a nice way! [:P]

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Larry David"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="Wings of a sparrow"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

He was a premiership quality player playing in the Championship, of course we were a shop window once we got relegated. Thats football. The Hucks situation was different. He was coming to the end of his prime and knew he probably wasnt cut out for the premier league and wouldnt be guaranteed first team football. Ashton has international aspirations and had the best part of his career still to come.

[quote user="Boyo"]

he only saw Norwich as a stepping stone.  [/quote]

Maybe that is because Norwich is only ever going to be a stepping stone to genuinely international class players like him.  It may not be nice but we have to face up to the fact that no matter who owns us we have only ever been a club that buys players from lower league teams, brings out their potential and sells them on at a profit - something that is now much harder to do than it was 20 years ago.  When he left we were a struggling Championship side and he was offered the chance to play in the best league in the world for much more money and to get into the England scene - how many would turn that down?

The Huckerby line is a distraction, yes he stayed loyal to us but he was quick enough to head for the door from other clubs and in the end he is the exception that proves the rule.

To take pleasure in a young man losing the ability to pursue his livelihood and support his family as some seem determined to do is just not nice to see.

[quote user="Wings of a sparrow"]

[/quote]Top post and something sadly i can say makes the most sense of anything ive read regarding football around here.

I''m sorry, but Wiz''s quote claiming its "good" he''s retired is ridiculous, and horrible too.Those calling him Cashton etc...are essentially criticising any successful player we have. He was Premiership quality and proved it with us. He gave us till January in the Championship, and we signed some poor players.He is not Norwich bred and born etc...If you were him, what would you have done? "No thanks, i''ll stay with Norwich who are unlikely to get promoted, why would i want to play in the Premiership, earn more money and stake a claim for my country?"You''re all hypocrits, if you were him you would all do the same.

Well said Hogesar. Why some idiots seem to expect players to feel about and approach a football club in the same way that fans do is beyond me.

It''s a real shame for all of us as Englishmen that injury has stopped him from meeting his potential. If he was going to the World Cup i''d be a damn sight more confident of an English triumph.

Best of luck Deano.

Deano was brilliant, almost kept us up that season but sadly wasn''t to be. Who knows what would have happened with his career had we managed to beat Fulham that day.A great loss to English football.

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"][quote user="Boyo"]

he only saw Norwich as a stepping stone.  [/quote]

Maybe that is because Norwich is only ever going to be a stepping stone to genuinely international class players like him. [/quote]

Agreed.

We made a sizeable profit when we sold him.  The fact that we failed to reinvest it in the squad is hardly Ashton''s fault.

[quote user="Jimbo_Jet_Set"]

I think it''s a crying shame that such a talented player has had to retire.  I''ve been going to Norwich games for 20 years and quality wise I would put him in the top 10 city players that I have seen.

His goal against Newcastle still remains one of my favourite Norwich goals

[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more Jimbo, oh except the Man city goal was my favourite a real goal scorers goal.

Only over shadowed by the half time entertainment!![:$]

Good luck Deano, in what ever lies ahead for you.

Many people should look at it this way... If you were at work and you were offered a job which would give you a higher position and more money... would you say no because you want to stay loyal to your colleagues? Would you hell, you would be filling that jobs vacancy in a flash. Many people seem to clearly forget playing football is the players JOBS and they don''t just turn up every weekend for our enjoyment, as much as it may seem like that. Dean Ashton was a truly excellent player whilst at Norwich, nearly single handily scored the goals to keep us in the Premiership, then scored 11 goals in the first half of the season in the Championship in a side that was near the foot of the table. Well Done Deano, you were one of my heros.NO ONE should blame Dean Ashton for moving to a BETTER club, no matter how much we may not like that statement, West Ham are better than Norwich City and you can not knock anyone for moving because of ambition.