Sign in to follow this  
Chunky Norwich

Ashton retires

West Ham''s managing director Paul Aldridge told his club''s website: "We are paying a club record transfer fee for Dean because we feel that, at 22, he represents an investment that can benefit West Ham United for years to come at the highest level."

[quote user="can u sit down please"]

A big shame. A great player, we all know what would have happened had we signed him earlier. I can never understand the stick he got.

[/quote]

While I feel sorry that a young lad has had to give up the game he loved, I can''t help disliking him too, He signs an extention to his contract in the summer, Put on show with Queen Delia, then Jumps ship before we played Wetspam in the cup, I saw kids get out of a car which had pulled up next to me, all have his name on thier shirts, They were Spammers fans, and at which point it was not official that he had gone, but as many will know he never showed that night, It''s the way they delt with this  transfer the reason why he got labled. You can say what you like He never intended to stay and think he used Norwich as a shop window, well the window has smashed now    

The game ain''t like it used to be in the good old days Pete, run by agents for the filling of players pockets and nothing else - loyalty to a club is not a concept anymore.

Ashton never shirked his Norwich responsibilities whilst wearing the shirt. 

I think it''s a crying shame that such a talented player has had to retire.  I''ve been going to Norwich games for 20 years and quality wise I would put him in the top 10 city players that I have seen.

His goal against Newcastle still remains one of my favourite Norwich goals

A huge player for us in the sadly short time he was with us. Always an injury prone player though, never looked fit even for us - and we did well to get rid of him for the price we did really. Good luck to you Deano in your future. And thanks for your goal and that cross to Leon against United, that was the best best best ever goal I''ve seen at Carrow Road, and in the sweetest of circumstances. Fluent, flowing moving ending with a great goal!

Hmmm agreed with what someone else said,  it was a shame we had never got Ashton at the start of the season... 

Also think he could have been the answer for England!   

Wish people would get over the move he made to West Ham.....it''s not his fault it was handled that way.   Blame the club for the shambles!He should have been here earlier and if we hadn''t messed around trying to get the price down, we might, just might, have been in a far better position today but hey, that''s life eh?Good luck to the guy, it''s a real shame as he could have been a classic English centre-forward in the Shearer mould...

I liked Ashton, he really could have been a very good striker, many people moaned about his work rate, but i remember him chasing after the ball loads (i think his WR dropped at West ham...) but when you get an offer from a Premireship team, it must be very hard to say no.....and obviously Norwich had to accept the offer, and so did Ashton really, he could have stayed, and maybe he would still be playing who knows, but it must be a terrible thing, to have your career cut down like that....

[quote user="Wings of a sparrow"]

The game ain''t like it used to be in the good old days Pete, run by agents for the filling of players pockets and nothing else - loyalty to a club is not a concept anymore.

[/quote]

He was here for all of 12 MONTHS !!, the last 6 of of which (i.e the championship half) - he didn''t give a damn. I must have missed that testimonial.

so GJL.... all those goals he scored, meant nothing? all the chasing he did whe Mckenzie wasn''t playing was just for his ammusment? he did give a damn, but if someone offerd you a job, higher pay, better position ect, would you say no? and if your boss said go for it? its not his fault, he could have said no, he probably had no idea he would be leaving....

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="Wings of a sparrow"]

[/quote]

He was here for all of 12 MONTHS !!, the last 6 of of which (i.e the championship half) - he didn''t give a damn. I must have missed that testimonial.

[/quote]

Yeah and I must have missed the 11 goals he scored for us that season. What a slacker!

I also remember him taking a penalty against Reading (i think) when he was clearly concussed. He missed it but that doesn''t strike me as the actions of someone who is shirking their responsibilities

Very very sad news. Was one of the best young strikers I ever saw playing at CR. Could have been an England great IMO

Crying shame. Would have been the new Shearer by now if he had stayed fit. Him and Rooney up front could have brought us back the world cup. As it is, we''ve got to go with Heskey or Crouch. I would take even a half fit Ashton over those two!

yes I think alot of people forget that season... lot of personnel mistakes, jason jarrett, andy hughes, peter thorne

sure ashton and greeno were given assurances of quality coming in... quite simply it didn''t... yes many forget mckenzie was useless that season and out injured and ashton was on track for 20+goals... if only we could have sold mckenzie and got in earnshaw to partner him

I admired him for moving on even tho it was a huge loss, because as many have said he was the most gifted centre forward we have had since chris sutton, but probably had the potential to be even better, why not move on if everything else is falling part around you.

Yes I am a huge huckerby fan, but htink he found his place a big fish in a small pond... and admire him greatly for not moving on, a true legend

I was sad to hear the abuse ashton received with the pre season friendly and will fondly remember him giving us a chance to stay up in the premiership and certainly he didn''t shy away in that game at fulham

in that relelgated team ashton, hux and greeno where the only players worthy of playing in the prem. and rightly should be remembered fondly... and the rest of the team for that first championship season should be rightly forgotten

will we ever have a trio that would cause such a threat going forward as hux and ashton and a keeper in the mould of greeno

possibly a keeper in the mould of greeno but strikers of premiership quality are very rare

[quote user="First Wizard"]Good, not sorry at all, West Ham deserved him![/quote]And there was I thinking this was the season of goodwill to all...ho-ho-ho!

[quote user="First Wizard"]Good, not sorry at all, West Ham deserved him![/quote]

what a di**

The hatred towards Dean Ashton is nothing short of stupidity, I was disappointed when he left us for West Ham halfway through a season but couldnt really fault him for doing it, not in the way modern football works anyway. It''s always a crying shame when any promising English talent is forced to retire, even if it were a binner. Best of luck to Deano

[quote user="First Wizard"]Good, not sorry at all, West Ham deserved him![/quote]

.....but did he deserve West Ham? 

or to be blighted by career-ending injuries at the age of 26 ?

Merry Christmas [:$]

Extremely talented, could have gone on all the way if his attitude had been better.

I think we saw the best and the worst of him when he was here, he clearly couldn''t be arsed after we got relegated and was just taking the money while he waited for a Prem club to come knocking.

That said, I wouldn''t wish what has happened to him on anyone and I wish him all the best for the future.

Nothing like compassion for someones misfortune. Dont quite see why he''s so hated my some people, one of the most gifted players ever to pull on a yellow shirt.

Sad to see the guy have to quit so young - as others have said England quality old fashioned centre forward and we would have been the stronger in South Africa with him fit and leading the line

attention seeking fool.....

i don''t blame ashton one bit that he left, (obviously i would have been overjoyed if he''d stayed) he was miles better than the team he was playing in. I will always remember i was at QPR away in our first season back in the championship, and it was the usual guttless performance we came to expect in that year, the crowd we''re singing "what a load of rubbish!" Ashton turned round to the crowd and gave a jesture as if to say what more do you want me to do, He absolutely run his socks off that day by the way, head and shoulders above the rest of his team mates.......I think his strike partner was ian henderson ....Say no more!!! 

shame we never got to see him and rooney up front for england

Have to say I couldn''t really care les about him. He was one of the most selfish players to ever pull on a Norwich shirt. He was only ever out for himself and the minute we were relegated he did all he could to engineer a quick move to line his pocket.

Should we have bought him earlier?- probably from memory Crewe were not interested in sellig any earlier. Still think we would have been better off buying Crouch at the start of the season.