Sign in to follow this  
MP3

Ian Henderson

Is it just me wondering how he is getting any where near our first team? From what I''ve seen he does not appear to have any attributes that are required to be a professional footballer, His first touch and control are poor, his strength is non existent and to my knowledge he has never beaten a defender in his life. Fair enough he works hard, but in that case I could play for Norwich! I expect the "He''s only young" arguement will be used but surely he should have shown some sort of potential by now (like Ryan Jarvis has, who usually does not even get a look in.)

Jimbo you have to remember one very important point- He''s only 18! He''s got a lot to learn. I think he''s got the ability and I''m sure he''ll turn out to be a very handy player. I''ve seen him play several good games this season and score some good goals too. Give him time, he''s only a kid

i understand completely that hes only a kid..............so why do we play him. The reason hes not up to it may be because hes so young but the fact remains hes not good enough. i think the best thing to do would be to loan him out to a lower league club (although i appreciate now isnt the perfect time). If after this time he improves greatly then bring him back. The problem i have is that at present he cant even worry the average div 1 defender......image him up against a top premiership defender.....embarrasing. i wouldnt be too worried about his confidence either, he oozes arrogance. remember his celebration after his goal against Millwall, ive never been so p****d off after a norwich goal. if he had the skill to back it up i might be able to let it go..........

At one stage he was our joint top scorer with 4 goals from 6 games. He is more of a central striker rather than wide right, which is where he has been played. It is a good job that you don''t pick the England under 19 team because they obviously see potential in him and I believe he scored for them on his last appearance. Be patient because he will produce the goods and so will Jarvis who is even younger.

I like Henderson, I think he could make it at the top level and as silver fox pointed out, he has been playing out of position. My only worry about him is that he might get injured, he does look like a little boy on the pitch playing with men, I''m not sure he''s physically ready to play a lot of football, I think we will start to see the best of him in his early 20''s when he''s developed more physically.

er, why is this relevant just now, jimbo? hes not playing in the team at the moment. dont criticise players, particularly 18 year olds, when they havent been playing.

Jimbo I have never read you on this website before and am surprised at the contents of your post.

I may be in a small minority but I thought Hendo played well and worked his socks off in a strange position in which he was asked to play. Remember the cross for the only goal against Notts Forest, or perhaps you dont.

The way he took his goals against Millwall make him quite a talent and wasn''t upset by his reaction in celebrating his goals. He''s got a great attitude.

Are you one of the pro Rivers brigade, if Worthy felt the same way as you Hendo wouldn''t be in the team, he gives 100% sure sometimes he fails to take on a defender and plays the ball back to Edworthy or supporting defender but I cannot remember him giving a goal away by doing this, unlike Paul McV against West Ham who if it had gone backwards and we would not have lost the ball and their first goal.

Lay off the lad, I bet you were one of those who booed against Brad City and got him replaced by the underwhelming talents of Mark "Sicknote" Rivers.

It''s got to be a first I agree with Carl Cort there. Hendo hasn''t played consistantly for weeks now. We''ve had Brennan down the left and McVeigh down the right. You can''t really criticise the lad at this stage

I think you''ll find the majority of this board appreciate that the kid has potential. Also, are you forgetting jimbo, he has scored 4 decent and important goals for us. Without him we''d be second right now. He has made a contribution to the team and the squad and shown up Rivers for the lazy a*se that he is and that''s saying something as i used to be a Rivers fan. Ok, he''s fallen away a bit now but in the time he played in the first team he couldn''t have done much more than he did. In his last couple of games when his confidence was obviously suffering but jeez, what do you want? Wayne Rooney? Even he has gone off the boil since he became a first team regular. James Milner is another - burst on to the scene around the same time as Rooney with some great goals, then found himself on loan at Swindon. Be realistic!

I think Hendo is a star in the making. Like Jarvis, he needs to find his feet and develop before he can really become the player I perceive him capable of being. I''m glad that Nigel''s given Hendo the opportunity to play 40-odd appearances that he has and Hendo has been able to assist in this season''s title push with some impressive displays and more importantly 4 goals.

Perhaps he needs a rest or perhaps he needs to rediscover his confidence and form but no matter what he needs, he should get a pat on the back for his endevour for the club since his introduction and be made to feel like part of the successful team that he has helped contribute towards.

ok ok i was just trying to start off a bit of a debate. however, i still stand by my comments about his arrogance. His attitude isnt great either. i dont how many of you are aware but at youth level they have a "three strikes and youre out" type policy. well, i know of a couple of youth team players who broke this rule and got kicked out and ian henderson should have been one of them. by this time however norwich had realised they wanted to keep him on and so just let him off. no wonder hes arrogant. he thinks hes got a god given right to play for norwich. Just read some of the comments of his youth team coaches, they all hint at a bad attitude.
maybe its just a personal vendetta, but i really dont want to see him back in the team now or in the near future

Who wasn''t an arrogant know it all at some point when they were a kid? It does sound like a personal vendetta! Most football players have a bit of arrogance, especially the decent ones so it''s good to see it in the kids. You need it as a professional footballer otherwise you''re not going to be able to handle the pressures of the game. Sure it can be shown in the wrong way but that''s to be expected from a young''un. Just look at Hucks and Leon. The guys exude arrogance and confidence - you probably saw Leon pointing to his name on his shirt after he scored his second at the Portaloo and how they both milk the fans celebrations when they score in an "I''m the man" way! But they display that arrogance in an assured rather than unpleasant way. Leon reminds me of Ian Wright in his attitude - such a shame we haven''t been able to see more of him.
Either way, you can rest assured that with Henderson, the wrath of the barclay, the sneers of the snake pit, and his swift removal from first team duty and his suatained absence thereafter, will have put his feet firmly back on the ground.

I recently had a chat with a "scout"who spots for the east anglian clubs.Talking to him you could see he saw football from the inside where we mere supporters see it from the outside.his view of Henderson was ''yea, he''s not a bad lad ,should make a good 1st divison player but he''ll never get to the standard for the premiership, as a scout you see these things''.
Maybe Henderson is an investment for the future,get him a good C.V. and sell him on.But then again -we all attain perfection at our own appointed pace!
On a slightly different note,The scout also said if he spots a really good kid he personaly tries and get them with West Ham rather than City or the other lot down the road as the Hammers academy is much better.

Of course Henderson has an "attitude", and it''s not a particularly good one. You only have to see the way that the "Senior" players were having a go at him when he was in the team to know that he has a problem.

Remember Bellamy? and his attitude? Henderson''s only a "PuP" give him time, you only improve with experience! and I''m sure he will do well for the squad.

He needs taking down to a local "Steakhouse", force fed "foie gras" style, huge amounts of prime rump steak to fill him out a bit. [A little on the featherweight size] Get off his back, let NW sort out his progress and future, because we aren''t at Colney every day.......

Attitude! "PAH"........He is just maturing and will settle down in time.....

sorry to bring up old post but thought it was apt given his contribution yesterday. Should sway the doubters for now at least...

The lad is currently the best wide right midfielder we have - he is not the real solution to our problems there, but he is better there than Rivers, Mullers and Francis, on a par with McVeigh who remains better on the left and a far better option than wasting Mackenzie or Hux there. And he is really a striker not a midfielder...

If the fans would only wake up they should blame NW and the board for not addressing what has been the clubs only real problem position (loan strikers apart) for the last 4 months and trying to solve a round-hole problem with a square peg.

Worthy please find us a wide right player for the rest of the season on loan - as cover if nothing else - I beleive that had we had one we would have been even further ahead of Wigan than we are now...

OTBC

i dont like henderson - and i dont think he shud really b in the team but well done yestrday ian

I can''t understand the Henderson doubters. I think he''s as good as Craig Bellamy
when he first appeared on the scene. Great cross to set up Malky for our first!
I reckon he should be in the team every week. He''ll get better and better you watch!

Sometimes you get players who,whilst not looking particularly impressive in their general play,have a knack of coming up with a goal or killer ball. Hendersons stats for goals scored+created in the limited time hes been on the pitch are superb and indicate he may be this kind of player.

People who knock him for not taking his full-back on more often, fail to realise he is a young player using his brain and playing to his strengths. He is not amazingly quick and is still physically more boy than man, so `one on one` an experienced defender will get the better of him more times than not. It seems he knows this and tends to play cautious,keeping possession until he has space or defenders are pulled out of position which is a far better ploy than just recklessly running into a tackle and losing the ball most of the time.

You may care to remember that when Darren eadie came in he ran around like a headless chicken, fell over a lot, overran the ball quite a bit, got pushed off by a daddy long legs and generally darted around doing not much.

Then after a few games he built up his strength, gained confidence, matured quickly and swiftly became one of our favourite players ever. I''ll not forget the buzz when Darren got the ball with one defender to beat.......

Don''t expect miracles, Hendo is doing fine and getting some good experience now. Of course he might turn out to be another Adrain Coote but lets judge in a couple of years time when he should be coming into his own.